39.

The Broken

Minzy was grateful that Alpha Jiyong didn't force a conversation. Instead the pair rode in silence all the way back to the mansion. Hopping out of the car before Alpha Jiyong had a chance to open her door for her, she quietly moved through the mansion and towards the back. Entering the garden and inhaling the flowery fragrance, it gave her the courage to find herself in the middle of the garden. Standing at the fountain where she had seen him sitting, the memory played her mind like a broken record.

"Minzy..." Alpha Jiyong softly said her name breaking the shared silence between them. 

Sighing, Minzy turned and looked him in those eyes that held the stars, "Do you want me here?" 

He coughed a laugh at her silly question, "Of course I do." 

Shaking her head, she clarified what she meant, "Do you want me here to participate in the fight for consideration?" 

He went quiet as he looked away, "I..." Moving forward, she took his hand and placed the box into the palm of his hand. Opening his hand, he looked at the box and opened it to see the Luna ring he had given her. "Why are you giving this back to me," he huffed in offense. 

"No one can just wear that ring, only the Luna of the Crimson Crawlers reserves the right to do so," she stated the obvious. "That ring was given to me prematurely." 

"Minzy you don't understand," he growled. 

"Then please, enlighten me so that I can," she egged him on. 

Running his fingers through his hair, he shook his head, "It's more complicated than it seems." 

"Nothing about whatever we are to each other is simple. So please tell me how I can make it so," Minzy was also becoming frustrated. 

"I love her," Alpha Jiyong breathed out. 

"Oh," was all that she was able to breath out. His words were like a punch to the gut, knocking the wind out of her. Holding her stomach, she was all mixed up. She was surprised, but not really so after all she had seen the two kiss. What was she expecting? For him to tell her other wise? Drowning out Alpha Jiyong, she turned to take her leave for the fear of breaking down in complete and utter humiliation. 

"Don't leave," Alpha Jiyong called out to her, but it had fallen on deaf ears as she walked out of the garden. Holding herself she neared the forest of trees before she was pinned to one. "Wait," he growled. 

"Wait? Wait for what? To be humiliated by an like you," she cried out as she shoved him off of her. "Don't touch me," she hissed. 

"I need you to understand," he begged. 

"What is there to understand? You told me already that you love her. Now let me go about my way. I've heard what I needed to," she said angrily as a few tears fell from her eyes. 

"No you haven't heard the truth of it all from me," he said blocking her way yet again. "You deserve to know the truth because I love you too." 

The rage that boiled in her blood had her instinctively swinging at him and smacking him hard across the face, "Don't you dare try to lie to me. I was honest with you even if I had not intentionally done so I was honest. So don't lie. Just let me go!" Pushing away from him, she walked into the forest to find Commander Dara standing by the waters of Nivea. "What?! I waited and look at me," Minzy cried angry tears. "I trusted you and now I know just how foolish I was to do so." 

"Minzy please, don't take this the wrong way. But I didn't fully understand the circumstances of his situation," Commander Dara said remorsefully. 

Seeing Beta Seunghyun come to stand along side Commander Dara, she shook her head, "You should've just let me die like I had asked you to. But instead you find sick pleasure in seeing me suffer. Don't call me a friend. Rest assured that you never were one to me." Shifting to Amethyst, she made her way out of the forest and away from the people she thought she could count on. 

 

Amethyst ran and ran as hard as she could. Breaking out of the borders of the packlands, Minzy was completely shattered. She couldn't make sense of anything as she was overwhelmed by the pain and rage. Consumed by such a betrayal, she surrendered both body and soul to Amethyst. Turning herself off to the world, she granted Amethyst permission to live out whatever life was left in her. 

 

 

Minzy shivered at the cold that brushed against her body. Wrapping her arms over her chest, she curled up into fetal position wondering why she was so damn cold. It suddenly clicked that she was actually feeling a temperature sensation. Why was she feeling cold? Opening her eyes, she gazed around to take in the foreign icicle cave. Pushing herself to sit up, she felt a throbbing in her head and groaned. "," she croaked as she heard the soft flickering of what sounded like fire. Stiffening in disbelief, it wasn't the fire that caught her attention but the man who sat on the other side of it. "Beta Teddy," she mumbled as she looked over at the man. 

He chuckled as he shrugged, "Oh now you recognize me? I haven't been called that in such a long time." 

"What do you mean? And where are we," she sighed as she took in her surroundings to hear the wind howling with tons of snow whirling around from the entrance.

"We're in the South Pole," Beta Teddy shivered at the thought. 

"Interesting," Minzy mumbled. "Furthest away from all the bull." 

Beta Teddy nodded to agree, "I couldn't agree more and you couldn't have picked a better time to do so." 

Minzy eyed him suspiciously, "Why do you say that?" 

"Healer you've been gone for a year. Our world is a lot different since you've been gone," he sighed deeply. 

"Of course it may be different. Life still goes on," she said annoyed and somewhat indifferent to his statement. 

Beta Teddy shook his head, "No Healer, the world as in our world is very different. We're going extinct." 

"What do you mean by that," Minzy asked as the various people she cared for came to the fore front of her mind. 

"When the packlands caught wind of how the Crimson Crawler pack mistreated you and led to your disappearance it brought an uproar with the packlandss you had helped. They sent armies to defend your honor and of course the dessert lycans wanted to demolish the Crimson Crawler pack completely. But that internal war among the packlands was put on hold as that human army returned. They came pummeling through the Crimson Crawlers, to the Night Walkers and heading towards the dessert planes. But before they could attack our lands Alpha Jiyong intervened and ended up setting off the nuclear bomb that swept over the three areas that had killed and injured many lycans from various packs. This army has now swept across majority of the packlands chasing and killing all lycans and have now scattered them about the world." 

"Oh ," Minzy breathed in disbelief. "This must be some kind of joke," she said half heartedly, hoping it was.

But sadly he frowned as he shook his head, "There has been so much death and destruction since you left. I cannot bare to see our people go to waste, which is why I've spent months searching for you." 

She sat quietly as she shifted her gaze back to the whirling snow and then looking back at Beta Teddy, "I'm sorry that you've spent months looking for me, but I disappeared to never be found again." 

"I know...but we need you," he tried to say. "We don't have the time or any more lives left to spare for you to get over your feelings. We need your powers to save our people." 

"Is that all I am to you? A source of relief? A way out?" Shaking her head, she forced herself to stand on her wobbly legs she had not used for so long. "I feel great sorrow for those that are suffering but like I've said I'm nothing. I have nothing to give and will not pretend to do so." 

"Healer..." he called out to her as he stood on her feet. "Please little Jennie..." Beta Teddy's voice cracked with emotion. 

Minzy's heart stopped as her ears perked up, "What about Jennie?" 

"I'm all she has right now," he revealed. "Bom died fighting off the human soldiers." 

Minzy fell to her knees in disbelief as she thought about the last conversation with Bom. She had almost saved enough to buy that restaurant she wanted to surprise Jennie with. Shaking her head in disbelief, the memories of Bom came like a flood. Without her knowing she had shifted into her wolf form and was running hard. Living a life of isolation in such harsh condtions had strengthed Amethyst's abilities, especially in speed. Pushing herself hard, she tried not to think about the hard truth as she called out to Jennie. I'm coming.

 

Amethyst used her tracking ability to find herself back onto the dessert planes. The forbidden city was completely destroyed with buildings barely there. But that was the least of her worries as she sensed out little Jennie. "Jennie," Amethyst and Minzy barked. "Jennie!" 

"Queen," lycans came peeking out through the rubble. 

"Minzy," a familiar young voice called from behind. 

Turning, Minzy all but broke down as she nuzzled herself into the young girl, "Jennie!" 

"Minzy where have you been," Jennie cried as she clung onto Minzy's fur. "I've missed you!" 

"Come, let us talk in private," Minzy's voice cracked with emotion as she walked with Jennie back to what was left of the dessert mansion. Shifting in back into her human form, she scooped the crying girl in her arms. Placing a dusty robe on the best she could, she couldn't scold the trembling girl in her hands. 

"They killed her! They killed mommy," Jennie cried harder. 

"I'm so sorry," Minzy teared up. "I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you and mommy." 

"It's not your fault, it's my fault for trusting Alpha Jiyong. I thought we were friends but then he hurt you and made you run away to leave me and mommy to fight the bad guys. I hate him! I hate him so much," Jennie sobbed. 

Minzy held the young girl tightly against her, "Don't say that. You're too young to hold so much hate in your heart. Your mommy wouldn't want that." She found it difficult to get in contact with her healing powers. So many things were running through her mind and it had been so long since she had used them. Taking a deep breath, she calmed herself down and focused on Jennie. Jennie was the center of attention, the one who needed healing as she hugged tightly against her.

Closing her eyes she thought of light and prayed to the Gods to hear her plea to ease this young girl's pain. Soon Jennie began to loosen her grip on Minzy and nestled herself on Minzy's chest as she fell asleep. Flashes of Jennie's year painted Minzy's mind with vivid images and emotions. Feeling the tears fall from her eyes as she saw the lifeless Bom lying in a pool of her own blood as Jennie tried to wake her. Shaking at how Jennie had to fend for herself until Beta Teddy had found her, it gave Minzy the chills. Jennie had made Beta Teddy promise to find Minzy if it was the last thing he did because she was the last of her family alive. Lying the small girl onto the bed, Minzy sat quietly crying as she mourned her dear friend and held what family she had left in her arms.