Yes, I'm Here With You

Best Part

Jungeun checked the time on her phone. The bus she bought the tickets for is leaving in ten minutes. The female conductor started sending her questioning looks to which Jungeun ignores. From the time of the day and the position she sat on the shed, the morning sun directly shined on her face. Her sleepless eyes sting from the brightness and she squinted, hooding her eyes with a hand. She jumped when a hand landed on her shoulder.

 

Jungeun looked up to see Jiwoo’s face—well what’s visible from her cover. Jiwoo wore a mask and a ball cap that hid her upper eyelids.

 

“Jiwoo?” Jungeun asked just to make sure it wasn’t a stranger. She stood up, hooking her backpack on her shoulder.

 

“Yeah, it’s me. Did I frighten you? I’m sorry, I’m just a mess right now.”

 

Jungeun touched Jiwoo’s arm. “It’s all right, Jiwoo. I understand. Come here.” She pulled Jiwoo into a hug. Her friend melting against her body. Jungeun can feel how exhausted her friend is. She sighed and closed her eyes, needing the hug as much as Jiwoo.

 

She would’ve stayed there longer if it wasn’t for the conductor giving her a warning look. Jungeun pulled away from Jiwoo who clutched and prolonged the hug for a few more seconds before hesitantly let go.

 

“Let’s go. I already bought the tickets.”

 

Seated inside the now moving bus, Jungeun made sure both Jiwoo and herself are comfortable. She brought a neck pillow for Jiwoo, she always needed one when traveling. Though Jiwoo wore a hoodie, the color of peach, she pulled out her mini blanket and laid it down over Jiwoo’s denim jeans. She also packed snacks and plastic-wrapped pastries as a remedy for their empty stomach. They’ll arrive at lunchtime at Cheongju but doubted that they’ll be able to eat anytime soon.

 

“What did the company say?” Jungeun asked when they were settled, relaxed back on their seats. She opened one of the said packed pastries. Jiwoo removed her mask and cap then turned to Jungeun. Without the cover, Jungeun took notice of the dark shadows under Jiwoo’s eyes.

 

“They told me to take more than a two-days break. But I knew, I couldn’t take advantage of their kindness like that.” Jiwoo closed her eyes, “The more day off I take the more things we have to catch up to. I can see how dedicated they are to their job but I don’t want to give them more work.”

 

“You never cease to amaze me, ” Jungeun said, prompting Jiwoo to open her eyes. Here she is, given an opportunity to spend more time with her mother who’s bound in a hospital but refused the opportunity because it would trouble the people around her. “Wouldn’t your mom be delighted though? That you stay for a little bit longer?”

 

Jiwoo let out a small chuckle. She took the pastry from Jungeun’s hand, having found her appetite to eat. “Even though mom always questions me when I will visit home, they would be the first to send me back here,” she took a bite from the savory baked goods. “It’s not that they don’t want me there beside them. They love it and I love them. They simply want me to live my life here and continue pursuing my dream. But...” Jiwoo looked out of the window, “... what will I gain from achieving my dream without the people I love with me? Nothing.”

 

“I see.”

 

Jiwoo turned at her short answer.

 

She took Jiwoo’s hand and smiled. “I agree.”

 

If she did ever debut and became the artist she aspired to be, she knows her friends would always be there. She knows Jiwoo would be there for her, with her. She would like it to remain that way.

 

“Do you worry about that, Jungeun-ah?”

 

Jungeun shook her head side to side. She ripped a packet of biscuits with her teeth, Jiwoo hadn’t pulled her hand away and Jungeun didn’t let go. “I feel reassured because I have you,” She said as she averts her gaze away. She cannot say it while looking at Jiwoo but she meant every word. Jiwoo intertwining their hands told Jungeun she knows.

 

“You might wanna some sleep,” Jiwoo said after they’ve consumed their snacks.

 

Jungeun yawned, her hand rising to cover . “I might.” Last night, she had filled in the midnight to morning schedule for Hyejoo who has an exam to prepare for.

 

“You’ll have to catch up with quota time when we come back. And how about you’re training?” Jiwoo’s eyebrows furrowed in worry.

 

“I’ll be fine, six hours a week is nothing. And my training officially starts next week, I was just allowed to practice there so I could get used to the environment and meet other trainees. Don’t you worry, it’s my job to worry about you. ”

 

Jiwoo gave her a look that she couldn’t decipher. Just as Jungeun was about to ask, Jiwoo sighed and closed her eyes. A small smile on her lips. She snuggled on Jungeun’s side and rested her head on Jungeun’s shoulder.

 

“We just can’t help but worry about each other,” Jiwoo whispered.

 

Jungeun laid her head above Jiwoo’s. “Cause we care about each other.”



 

OOO



 

Jungeun felt herself being shaken, arising her from her sleep. She must have dozed off when the two of them settled with comfortable silence. She opened her eyes and the first thing she sees is Jiwoo’s smiling face hovering over hers.

 

“We’re here,” Jiwoo said, the excitement palpable in her voice. She moved away as Jungeun leaned over to glance out the window. The bus moved slowly into the terminal’s unloading area. They collected their belongings--Jungeun’s backpack and Jiwoo’s small trolley--and got ready to climb off the bus.

 

“So what’s the plan?” Jungeun asked as they exited the terminal. The heat and blinding shine of the sun hit their faces. Jungeun wished she had brought a ball-cap like Jiwoo.

 

“The hospital is not that far, I thought it would be practical to drop our stuff home first,” Jiwoo said, covering her face with a mask again but handed her cap to Jungeun. “It’s very hot and you’re sleepless, well aside from your nap at the ride. Take it.”

 

“Thank you,” Jungeun smiled as puts the ball cap on her head. Jiwoo’s reasoning wasn’t really that strong but Jungeun wouldn’t question it. “I agree, let’s go get a taxi.”

 

They hooked their arms together and walked to the main road to flag a taxi. Jungeun took everything her eyes can capture. It’s been three years and there are few noticeable changes in the surroundings. Nevertheless, it’s her hometown. She took a deep breath. It might be far-fetched to say but Jungeun can distinguish the difference in the air from Seoul. It surprised her how at east and calm she felt to be home. Maybe it’s because she’s with Jiwoo? One thing though, she’s not sure she is ready for the onslaught of memories to flood.

 

“Do you think you’ll have time to look around?” Jungeun asked.

 

Jiwoo looked at her with confidence emitting from her expression. “That’s on my plan,” she said. Her arm shot up and then a taxi stopped for them. When they’re seated inside the taxi and had told the driver their address, Jiwoo faced Jungeun again. “Let’s see what we can do, Jungeun-ah.”

 

“Let’s see.”

 

They both sat back and Jiwoo rested her head on Jungeun’s shoulder again as Jungeun rested her head atop Jiwoo’s. Jungeun looked out of the windshield the whole ride.



 

OOO



 

Jiwoo’s father opened the door for them. His eyes widened in surprise when he saw Jungeun standing beside his daughter. He engulfed Jiwoo in a hug then turned towards Jungeun. “My Jiwoo’s Kim Jungie? What a surprise!” He hugged her too and Jungeun surprised herself at the comfort she got from it. He was the closest to a father she never had. Fit and handsome for his age, Mr. Kim exudes fatherly warmth and kindness, the laugh lines on his face made an impression of how cheerful of man he is, just like his daughter.

 

“Good noon, Ajeossi,” Jungeun bowed.

 

“Wow, time flies fast. I’m glad I get to see you two grow up into beautiful young women.”

 

“Okay, Dad. Thank you, but that’s enough.” Jiwoo scrunched up her nose when her father pressed a kiss on top of her head.

 

“I let you girls unpack. You’re staying here, Jungeun?” He asked.

 

Jungeun shook her head side to side. “No, Mr. Kim. I’m just leaving my stuff here until mother comes home tonight, that’s okay right?”

 

“Of course, of course. I now remember your mother work in such ungodly hours. Do what you have to do. I’ll see you young ladies in fifteen minutes, I have to make a call to the station.”

 

Mr. Kim went inside a room from the left side of the hallway. It is the living if Jungeun remembered correctly. The noise of television coming from the room went off and then Jungeun heard Mr. Kim’s voice addressing someone as Chief. Jungeun turned towards Jiwoo, getting nervous at the way Jiwoo’s staring. Her eyes blazed with intensity yet her expression is soft. Jungeun can feel Jiwoo’s eyes capture every detail on her face.

 

“What?”

 

Jiwoo moved closer to her until they’re a few steps away. “To see you here, standing at that very spot just like all those years. I feel like I have to pinch myself! Something to convince me this is not a dream.”

 

Jungeun closed the distance between them, leaving one foot of space. She reached up to caress Jiwoo’s soft cheek, whose eyelashes fluttered at the touch. “This is not a dream, Jiwooming,” she said then pinched Jiwoo’s cheek.

 

“Yah!” Jiwoo slapped her hand away and soothed her cheek. She sent Jungeun a pout and said, “How mean.”

 

“It’s surreal that I’m here again,” Jungeun look down at her socked feet. “And I’m sorry that... that something unfortunate has to happen to bring myself here.” She raised her head along with her hand, bring it to Jiwoo’s cheek again, the one she’d pinched. Jiwoo didn’t flinch and through that simple act, she showed how much trust she has towards Jungeun.

 

Jiwoo grasped her hand. “It’s okay, Jungeun-ah.” She stepped up the stairs and pulled Jungeun. “Let’s leave our stuff in my room and meet my father. But you know that you can stay here and catch some sleep, right? ”

 

“I’ll catch some later, I have to see my mother. I haven’t told her I’m here yet.”

 

Jiwoo stopped in front of a door. The stickers plastered all over it had faded over the years. She turned towards Jungeun with wide questioning eyes. “Eh? Why?”

 

“Couldn’t reach her. I texted, but I doubt she’d read it.”

 

“Still busy as ever?”

 

Jungeun nodded, signaling Jiwoo to open the door.

 

“Let’s go put our stuff away then.” As soon as she had opened the door, a fluffy golden dog barraged Jiwoo, it’s healthy coat shining with the mid-noon sunlight bathing Jiwoo’s room.

 

“Kimi!” Jiwoo crouched down and accepted all of the gooey loving that the retriever gave her. As Jiwoo literally gets showered with love, Jungeun took in the room. Nothing changed over the last three years, everything the same as the last time she stepped inside Jiwoo’s room with its peach-colored walls.

 

She walked further inside to take in the bed on the left side of the room, slept on hundreds of sleepovers just with different sheets and pillowcases. The number of pillows doubled though, as well as the plushies. Her eyes went to the painting above Jiwoo’s bed. Two women with bright wide smiles, arms thrown over each other, it’s them on a stage with sparkling lights and stick-figured fans as background. They drew each other and Jungeun remembers how much she’d asked for Jiwoo’s validation over her drawing. She knows she’s not the most talented when it comes to painting but she thinks she at least got the eyes and the smile correct.

 

In front of the bed is a vanity table where they practiced makeup with each other as they were growing and also where Jungeun’s then mystifying heart-raise begin whenever she’s applying Jiwoo’s lipstick. So young and oblivious, Jungeun shook her head before glancing at Jiwoo, grateful that she’s still busy with the dog to notice her blushing for no reason. Then she saw the black upright piano by the wall, which was a new addition including the Polaroid films hanging on the fairy lights above it.

 

She felt Jiwoo stood up beside her but her eyes focused on the photos. There are of Jiwoo’s with her friends, Jungeun assumed from her art school, she recognized Joowon in one of them. What surprised Jungeun is that most of the photos are of them.

 

“Jungeun?”

 

Jungeun snapped her attention away from the photos and faced Jiwoo. Her brows are raised in worry. “You okay? You must be really tired.”

 

“I’m okay, for reals,” she said then felt a small wet knob followed by a cold air nudging her hand. She yelped and snatched her hand away, wiping the moistness on her denim jeans.

 

Jiwoo giggled. “Ooh, that’s Kimi. She wants a pet.”

 

Jungeun crouched down the level of the retriever. “Hey, buddy. I’m Jungie.” She its head, squealing when Kimi proceeded to her face. She pulled back not wanting to get her makeup ruined, though maybe she and Jiwoo could revisit the past at the vanity table—Jungeun stopped her thoughts before it could escalate. Instead, she gave scratches to Kimi’s fluffy neck, amazed by how soft and thick its fur is. “There, there.”

 

“Behave, Kimi. Not everyone likes your kisses.” Jiwoo walked to her closet just on the right side of the upright piano and dropped her trolley in front of it.

 

“Not gonna unpack your stuff?”

 

Jiwoo flopped down on her bed. “Can do that later, just need to lie down for a few seconds.”

 

Jungeun stood up when Kimi jumped on the bed to join her owner. She dropped her backpack beside Jiwoo’s trolley. “Shouldn’t we meet your father downstairs?”

 

“He said fifteen minutes, which means ten minutes but only five minutes had passed so, come here.” Jiwoo moved closer to the wall, lying sideways, and patted the space in front of her. Her eyes watched as Jungeun hesitated to move, even Kimi whose head is rested on Jiwoo’s ankle watched her.

 

Jungeun climbed the bed as graceful as she can manage on wobbly legs that Jiwoo’s stare had caused. When she’s finally lying down on her side facing Jiwoo, she couldn’t help but ask, “Why are you staring at me like that? Again? Still, can’t believe I’m here?”

 

“The last time you lied down here beside me was four years ago, Jungeun. So, spare me for reacting this way.”

 

Their eyes locked and Jungeun finds herself unable to look away. Jiwoo’s look is so intense yet so tender, it’s holding her in place. Jiwoo’s stare always does that to her but this time it’s almost begging her not to leave again.

 

Jungeun knew she had to stop the moment before she spills everything. “You want me to pinch you again?” She asked, her hand raising to Jiwoo’s cheek.

 

Jiwoo caught her hand before it could touch her face. “I know I have pinchable cheeks but no need to make excuses if you want to pinch it.” She brought Jungeun’s hand to and bit her fingers which happened to be Jungeun’s index and middle finger.

 

Jungeun pulled her hand as fast as she could, her ears burning at the action. She knows Jiwoo didn’t mean anything but be playful. Jungeun cursed her mind for being too dirty. “Yah!” Kimi jumped at her yell as Jiwoo’s laugh bounced around the room.

 

“I know we haven’t eaten lunch yet, but I’m not food!”

 

Jiwoo grabbed her hand and tried to bite again. Jungeun clenched it into a fist just in case. She yelled once more as she tries to pull her hand away. Kimi started barking at the commotion.

 

“Nom nom nom,” Jiwoo teased when Jungeun continued to squeal and struggle.

 

“Damn, you have outdone Kimi in biting. You should be the family’s pet dog.” Jungeun laughed out loud at the pout Jiwoo gave her, finally stopped from biting Jungeun.

 

A knock on the door averted their attention. “Jiwoo?”

 

Kimi barked at Mr. Kim’s voice behind the door and jumped off the bed to greet him.

 

“See, Kimi is now the Jiwoo of the family.”

 

Jiwoo glared at her, but a smile has quirking up. “Shut up, or I’ll bite you again.” She jumped off the bed in a similar fashion to Kimi. Jungeun smiled at the observation. Jiwoo walked to the door to open it for her father but not before sending Jungeun one last playful glare.

 

“You young lads ready?”





 

OOO





 

“I know we already had this conversation, but how’s mom?” Jiwoo asked in the backseat as her father drives them to the hospital.

 

Mr. Kim sent her a reassuring look through the visor mirror. “Your mother will be fine, Jiwooming. She’d awaken and by the time we arrive there, you can ask her that question yourself.”

 

Jiwoo sighed out, she can’t wait to see her mom, that Jungeun can tell as she observes her. She reached for Jiwoo’s hand and held it on her lap. Encasing it with both hands. Jiwoo sent her a grateful smile, her posture relaxing, she then turned to her father again.

 

“How about you, Abeoji? How are you doing?”

 

Mr. Kim smiled. His eyes didn’t stray from the road as he answers. “My sweet and kind daughter, your father is fine though I’m not gonna lie I had panicked when your mother collapsed. I feared for the worst. But don’t worry, we’ll be fine. No way, we’ll miss out on our daughter reaching her dream!”

 

Jungeun jumped at his voice raising but smiled when Jiwoo let out a chuckle beside her.

 

“And Miss Jungie, too. What are you doing these days?” Both father and daughter looked at her but only Jiwoo remained.

 

“I just recently passed my audition; you could say I’m an idol trainee. Though, I’m also working part-time at my friend’s PC bang.”

 

“Oh? So, you’re both artists, huh? I’m so proud.”

 

Jungeun’s breath got caught in at the word. Coming from a father figure of hers, it felt good and she had to blink away the tears that threatened to fall from her eyes. She looked out of the windows to hide her face away from Jiwoo and her father. But the comforting squeeze on her hand told her Jiwoo had seen it. She cleared . “Thank you.”

 

“The love for music. That’s how I met Jiwoo’s mother. Though, music is not the field of my work. I used to belong in a band.”

 

“Really?” Jungeun looked back at the front, in tune with his words.

 

“Yes, a rock band. I’m surprised you didn’t know, Jungie. Jiwoo hasn’t shown you my pictures I guess.”

 

Jiwoo barked out a laugh. “And how would I begin to show Jungeun your ridiculous 80s haircut, Appa?”

 

“Yah. That was one time. A bandmate of mine experimented with my hair. Anyways, I just thought you share everything with each other.”

 

“We do, but your picture wasn’t wort—actually it would have been a good giggle material. I’ll show you later, Jungeun-ah.”

 

Mr. Kim shook his head. “Aish, be thankful Appa loves you.”

 

“Love you too, Abeoji.”

 

“We’re here.”