AFTER MIDNIGHT

Twas the Night Before Valentine's Day
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I’m standing in the middle of the crowd, a beer in hand.

 

I was just on my way back to where Yongie, Jieun and I were hanging out when Chaerin handed me another bottle. “Get drunk, Darrabit!”

 

She’s smashed already.

 

But hey, it’s her birthday.

 

I should have taken a cab home already, but I actually got a little drunk when Jieun came. I took two more bottles of soju as I listened to their love story. It was sickening, well not really. They’re actually kind of cute. Childhood friends, lost contact when they became teens, and met again at this same party three years ago. They even secretly call Chaerin their cupid. It's stupidly cute.

 

They’re sickeningly cute, and I suddenly started to feel lonely.

 

Junsuke already left with his new friend, and Seunghyun is all over his girl. Seungri is nowhere to be seen, although I think I know where he’s gone already.

 

“It’s getting late, baby.” Jieun started to mumble as her head was leaning on Yongie’s shoulder. His hand cupped her cheek affectionately and I just swooned at the sight.

 

“We should probably go. You look tired already.” Yongie placed a kiss on her forehead and I just wanted to take my eyes off them.

 

I’ve never felt this lonely since Jaejoong and I broke up. I’ve even enjoyed watching movies at the cinema on my own. I guess the reality of being alone on Valentine's day or the fact that I am single again just sunk in. 

 

Nice.

 

“Are you going to be ok here, Dara?” Yongie’s question had me looking at them.

 

Am I?

 

“Yeah, I will be.” I gave him a weak smile that he returned kindly.

 

The two then set off while I was left all alone with my own pitiful thoughts.

 

--------

 

I stood at the far end of the roofdeck, placing my weight on my elbows on the railings as I take in the city lights of Seoul below us.

 

I guess this will be what Valentine’s days are for me from now on. Or until I meet someone again.

 

Have I placed too much hope that it could have been Yongie? , that’s not even his real name and I didn’t have the chance to ask him. Maybe that’s for the best anyway.

 

“Want a stick?” I heard a voice from the other side of the railings. I couldn’t see his face as it’s behind the shadow of the wall behind him.

 

“No, not really. I don’t smoke.”  Look, another loner.

 

He was quiet after that, and when I saw him throw the cigarette he was holding, I thought I’d be left on my own again.

 

“So what’s your story, sad girl?”

 

His question had me laughing. “Do I really look so bad right now?”

 

“Not bad, just sad.” I saw his shoulders shrug. I just hope I can see his face too.

 

“Aren’t you a poet, rhyming words and .” 

 

He laughed at me this time and that actually made me smile. Hey, looks like I found a new friend. 

 

“So you’re not going to tell me your story? I’m a good listener.”

 

Do I want to keep another warm buddy again?

 

“I don’t have a story, but maybe you do. I’m a good listener too.”

 

It was dark, but I can sense that he’s enjoying our banter.

 

“I’ll tell you mine if you tell yours.”

 

A chuckle escaped my lips. “That doesn’t sound creepy at all.”

 

He moved a little and the light coming from the night sky made me see his piercing eyes. 

 

“Everyone’s creepy here, Darabbit. We are all Chaerin’s friends anyway.”

 

I stood frozen as I watched him leave. What the hell was that? But a shiver ran down my spine when I realized something. How the hell did he know Chaerin’s nickname for me?

 

--------

 

I was on my fifth bottle of soju when I eventually realized I’m drunk. I can still think straight, but I know my surroundings are getting a little woozy. It almost made me forget about the creepy guy.

 

“Hey, Dara. Are you ok?” Seunghyun suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

 

“Yeah, I just need to sober up a bit.” I was waving my hand at him but I could barely feel my arms. Nice.

 

“Maybe we can drop you off.” That’s when I realized he was with a girl, a pretty girl.

 

Sanity got back for a while asking him to just leave. “I’ll get a cab once I sobered up. Plus, Chaerin is still here. Don’t worry.”

 

He gave me a hesitant nod, but I pushed him away. I don’t want to ruin anyone’s night just because mine .

 

“Did Kiyong leave already?” He asked, while looking around left and right.

 

“Who the is Kiyong?”

 

He started to laugh at me. “God, are you really that drunk? He was the guy you were talking to the entire night.”

 

“His name is Kiyong? I thought it was Yongie.” That bastard! Wait, I don’t hate him. 

 

Seunghyun looked concerned. “Are you sure you don’t want me to drive you home?”

 

I turned my attention to the girl standing beside him. She looks nice, and I can see that she seemed concerned for me too.

 

“Just take this man away from me, please?”

 

She smiled at me. “Are you sure?”

 

“100% sure.” I even gave them an ok sign.

 

“Fine. Just send me a message when you get home, ok?” Seunghyun insisted.

 

I gave him a nod and drank from a water bottle so I can start sobering up.

 

--------

 

“Hey Darabbit!” 

 

Chaerin’s voice surprised me as soon as I left the washroom. I just splashed cold water on my face so I c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter