Custody

Twelve Kisses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At almost ten in the evening, the sound of password numbers being clicked is heard and Jong Kook opens the door. There’s no one in the living room, but there’s a sound of someone’s showering. It shouldn’t be Jin Joo because it’s too late already and it’s not good for young girls to shower too late.

Looking around the apartment, Jong Kook notes of how clean it is. It’s always been. No matter how busy Ji Hyo is, she won’t skip the cleaning and taking care of the apartment. She once said that a clean home is a happy and healthy home. That used to be one of her principles that Jong Kook admired the most.

Now?

It is clean. But is it happy?

Jong Kook goes and sits on the counter chair. There’s a box of barley tea on top of the counter. He remembers that Ji Hyo always drinks a cup of barley tea every night before sleep. He, being a health freak, was the one who influenced her on drinking it daily, even though now he doesn’t care.

The bathroom door opens when his eyes are still scanning around the apartment. Pointing at some of the differences that he doesn’t know or doesn’t care in his mind.

“Jong Kook-ssi?”

Jong Kook looks up and for a minute is stunned. Ji Hyo’s skin looks flushed red from showering and her hair is wet and wavy. Thank God she’s dressed, or else…

“Sorry, I was showering. I didn’t expect you’d come.” Ji Hyo rushes herself to go to him.

Jong Kook is too busy in observing that he forgets to take off his coat. No wonder he feels hot.

“Uh-” he coughs and tries to take off his coat, which is immediately getting helped by Ji Hyo. “You told me to come, didn’t you? Why is it such a surprise?”

Ji Hyo stays quiet for a moment, just walking to the rack to hang his coat up. “Did you end up having dinner with Eun Hye-ssi?”

Jong Kook nods, then he realizes that Ji Hyo is still not turning around so she can’t see. “I did but finished it early so we can talk about something that you said was important.”

Ji Hyo turns around and gives him a little smile. “Sure.” She takes a deep breath and walks slowly towards him. “I’m- I’m ready to take Jin Joo’s custody.”

Relief feels Jong Kook’s face. “That’s great news! Thank you! Eun Hye will be so happy.”

Swallowing the bitter taste in , she continues, “But-”

His happy smile is dropped instantly and changes with a scoff. “Of course, there’s always a but. What do you want? This apartment? Monthly allowance for Jin Joo?”

“No, Op- Kim Jong Kook-ssi, do you think I’m that shallow?” Her voice is deep and her breath is ragged. He knows she’s getting angry or maybe disappointed. “Keep your apartment and money. I’m capable of renting a new one for my daughter and me.”

“Then? What else do you want?”

She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. “I want you to kiss and hug me in front of our daughter every day for twelve days.”

“Wae? Nope, don’t tell me.” He doesn’t dare to ask her for the reason, afraid that she will change her mind if he does. After almost six months of pleading, she finally gives in. If twelve kisses are all it takes to get rid of them, then so be it. “I’ll do it.”

He steps forward, staring straight into her eyes. Before Ji Hyo has a chance to stop him, he lowers his face, cups her cheeks, and captures her soft lips. It has been a while, no, it has been too long since he has last kissed her. Ji Hyo can feel her heart races, faster and faster, as he forces her face towards him to deepen the kiss.

Andwae*. Not when their daughter is sleeping in her room.

Ji Hyo does what she has to and pushes him away. “Were you listening to any of the words I said? In front of our daughter, not-”

Jong Kook shrugs. “The faster we get this done the better. One down and eleven to go.”

“No! That didn’t count! I said in front of our-”

Jong Kook just chuckles and goes to his room, leaving her alone in the kitchen, feeling angry and frazzled. Why? Why did that kiss daze her? It’s not supposed to be like that!

Before getting into his room, he says, even without facing her, “Ji Hyo-yah, if you think in these twelve days I’m going to fall in love with you again, then you’re heavily mistaken.”

Ji Hyo almost cries. Almost. But no, she won’t cry for this cruel man. Has he always been this way? She doesn’t recognize her husband anymore.

In the morning, as usual, Ji Hyo will prepare for their breakfast. And as usual, Jong Kook won’t eat it and goes straight to work, without saying goodbye.

“Appa’s not eating again with us?” Jin Joo asks, wondering why her Appa immediately leaves them.

Even though it saddens her, Ji Hyo has perfected the fake smile. “Appa has an early meeting, Jin Joo-yah, that’s why he’s not able to sit and eat breakfast with us.”

“But Appa will get hungry.”

“Appa will eat in the office with his friends. Don’t worry about him.” Ji Hyo pats her daughter’s head gently. “Now,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter