Epilogue

Twelve Kisses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s the 25th of February again. It’s that day again.

The day that Ji Hyo and Jong Kook dread the most.

They still wish it’s only a dream, a really long one. Or they wish someone can invent the time machine and they will be happy to be the ones who experience it first, no matter how expensive it might be. Or they wish that there’s an alternative universe where they can visit and live their best lives. They can only wish, wish, and wish.

If only wishes the impossible ones can come true.

It’s been eight years.

If Jin Joo is still here, Jin Joo will be twelve years old.

How will they raise a twelve-year-old? Will they be good parents? Will they understand why she does what she does? Will they encourage her to be herself?

And how about Jin Joo? What will she like? What will she dislike? What will be her hobbies? Will she become more like her Eomma, that’s hot-headed and reserved, but forgiving and kind, or become more like her Appa, that likes to nag and competitive, but stay true to himself and easy-going? Will she appreciate the presence of her little twin dongsaengs*? Will she love them and be a loving older sister?

They can only wonder.

“Oppa! Stop playing with Ji Yong-ie and bring him to me, I need to dress him up.” Ji Hyo’s voice can be heard from the room.

Jong Kook is playing cars with their four-year-old son, who’s only wearing shorts in the living room. He playfully asks his little boy, “Do you want to put on your clothes or no?”

Ji Yong shakes his head. “Like this.”

“You want to visit your Noona wearing like this?” Jong Kook points at his shorts, which thankfully is fresh and clean.

Ji Yong nods his head. “Noona joha*.”

Jong Kook chuckles. “How do you know she likes this? Did you-”

“Oppa!” Ji Hyo yells one more time. She’s impatient.

Again, Jong Kook only chuckles. “He doesn’t want to put on his clothes, yeobo.”

“Haish.” Jong Kook can hear her mutter, making him laugh, and of course, Ji Yong too, even though he’s sure his son doesn’t pay attention to anything other than the cars in front of him.

Ji Hyo gets out of the room with Jong Hee, their four-year-old daughter, on her hip. “Here, play with her, I’ll take Ji Yong-ie.”

“Andwae!” Ji Yong complains. “I’m playing with Appa, not Jong Hee!”

“Play with Eomma, I play with Appa.” Jong Hee sticks her tongue out.

Yes, they now have a set of twins, a boy and a girl, Ji Yong and Jong Hee. It’s just in their minds to name their children with a ‘J’ since both of their names start with a ‘J’, it just makes sense.

“Ji Yong-ah, play with Eomma, okay?” Ji Hyo tries to lift her son up but he runs away. “Gaja, get your clothes on and we’ll continue playing after visiting Noona.”

“We visit Noona today?” Jong Hee asks with sparkling eyes. She always loves visiting her older sister, she thinks it’s cool, although she doesn’t really understand yet.

“Not Noona, Jong Hee-yah, call her Eonnie.” Ji Hyo corrects her. “Girls call older sisters Eonnie, boys call older sisters Noona.”

Jong Hee nods her head. “Eonnie. We visit her, Eomma?”

“Ne, that’s why we have to hurry.”

Jong Hee smacks Ji Yong. “Ppalli, Ji Yong-ah! We have to visit Eonnie!” She orders her twin brother, who’s three minutes older, with her sweet raspy voice. She has always had that voice, not a typical loud squeaky voice like little girls usually have. Where does she get that? Ji Hyo and Jong Kook don’t know.

“Oppa-ya!” Ji Yong reminds her, smacking her back. He’s still older by three minutes after all. He doesn’t care that they’re twins. Opposite of Jong Hee, Ji Yong has that loud squeaky voice that perhaps comes from Jong Kook. Even on their first birthday, he chose a microphone, whereas Jong Hee chose money.

“Sanggwan eobseo*,” Jong Hee shrugs. “Ppalli hae*!”

Ji Yong frowns. “Shiro. I’ll just play cars.”

“Ah, ppalli!” Jong Hee smacks her brother’s head now. Jong Kook glances at his wife, he can see where his little girl’s violence comes from. How does it feel raising someone like you, huh?

“Eomma!” Ji Yong screams, on the verge of crying, pointing at his twin sister.

Ji Hyo, who notices Jong Kook’s playful glance, sighs. “Geumanhae you two. Stop smacking your brother, Jong Hee-yah. And Ji Yong-ah, gaja.” She lifts him up even though Ji Yong tries to resist by thrashing his body here and there.

Jong Kook and Ji Hyo’s a-little-over than four-year-olds can always pull their patience strings. They surely take a lot more of their parents’ energies than Jin Joo did. Their mischievousness and naughtiness are on another level. They always fight and get competitive with each other. They always snitch on each other too.

They were playing catch with each other, laughing their hearts away, waiting for their fourth birthday celebration. Jong Hee, who was being chased by Ji Yong, hopped on to their parents’ bed.

“Catch me if you can!” She giggled.

Ji Yong tried to catch Jong Hee by climbing on the bed, but she rolled over and kept shaking her head playfully, messing her hair that had been tied nicely into pigtails by Ji Hyo.

When they got tired playing, they sat on the floor, leaning their heads to the huge bed.

“Stop it, Oppa!” Jong Hee frowned, leaning her head towards the other side. She had always been taught to call him ‘Oppa’ since he’s older, even by just three minutes. It showed respect in their culture.

“I’m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter