Home

The Boys (Incomplete)

 

Getting home was a complicated affair. Though the food had invigorated her some, Da Eun’s knee was still an issue and she needed support to walk. The problem was getting her to admit it.

“Gwenchana, Woonie! I’m fine, really,” Da Eun waved away Dongwoon’s helplessly extended hands as she stood up, bracing herself on the divider between the booths. “See?” She took a small step forward. An explosion of pain in her knee and accompanying twinges in her torso made her bite her lip to suppress a gasp. Quickly, she smiled. “Really, there’s no problem.”

Doojoon frowned. If she kept up the pretense and refused their help, her knee could sustain lasting damage. “Da Eun.”

“Neh?” She replied, not meeting his knowing eyes.

“I’ll pretend that I think it doesn’t hurt, but Dr. Kibum told you to keep it easy for a while. Let one of us support you,” Doojoon told her quietly.

“Yah, hyung, come to think of it, isn’t it rather strange that Da Eun wasn’t given a pair of crutches?” Hyunseung mused.

“Ah!” Dongwoon gasped.

They all turned to look at the maknae.

He flushed. “Um… Noona was given a pair of crutches…”

“So, where is it?” Yoseob demanded when his dongseng didn’t continue.

“At the hospital…” He answered, voice almost a whisper as he avoided the disbelieving stares of the others.

Da Eun coughed quietly. “Guys, gwenchana.” She turned to Doojoon. “Oppa, can you…”

“Of course, Da Eunie,” Doojoon grinned, relieved. “Come on kids, let’s go.” He got out of the booth and stretched luxuriously, sighing. Wow, he was tired. “Da Eunie, you ready?”

“Yeah,” she replied, trying not to yawn. The boys stifled smiles, then several yawns of themselves.

Doojoon gently took hold of Da Eun’s arm, gripping the underside. “Walk slowly and don’t push yourself, araso?”

“Araso, oppa.”

By the time the slow-moving group made it to the parked cars, Da Eun’s face was chalk white with pain. Not uttering a word of complaint, the only betrayal of her composure was a slight exhalation as they halted before Doojoon’s Prius.

The boys exchanged worried looks behind her back, then looked to their leader.

Unlocking the car, Doojoon opened the front passenger door for Da Eun and supported her as she got in. Forcing a smile, he pretended not to hear as Da Eun panted shallowly, laying back on the seat. Gently shutting the door, he gestured for the other to get in as well.

“Hyung, I’ll go with Woonie,” volunteered Hyunseung, then looked at Junhyung expectantly. Much to his confusion, his dongseng failed to follow as he walked away with Dongwoon.

The other boys’ questioning looks slid off Junhyung as he got smoothly into the car, then matched look for look, daring them to ask. Hurriedly avoiding his defiant gaze, they got in as well.

“Hyung, get Da Eun’s seatbelt, will you?” Junhyung said to Doojoon, aware of Da Eun’s struggle with the strap.

Having done as his dongseng asked, Doojoon started the car and set off home.

 

***

 

“Hyung, doesn’t Junhyung ride with us, normally?” Dongwoon asked Hyunseung, eyes on the road.

“Yeah,” his hyung answered curtly, then turned to looked out the window.

 

***

 

“We’re here, Da Eunie. Wake up.” Doojoon shook Da Eun gently, so as not to jostle her ribs.

“Mm,” Da Eun murmured, eyelashes fluttering slightly. She had fallen asleep on the way home, as had Yoseob and Gikwang in the back. Junhyung sat silently, looking out the window.

“Kids, wake up, we’re home!” Doojoon said, louder.

Yoseob yawned and fell over onto Gikwang’s chest.

“Hnnngh,” his dongseng groaned at the added weight.

“Kwangie, your chest is cushy,” sighed Yoseob lazily, rubbing his head against said area.

“Hyung!” Gikwang protested, squirming to get away from his hyung’s amorous advances.

“Yah,” Junhyung gave them a look.

Shutting up, the two got out of the car, yawning widely. Doojoon shut off the engine.

Junhyung got out as well and opened the front passenger door. “Da Eunie,” he called her name quietly, savoring the taste of it on his tongue.

“Mm,” Da Eun smiled sleepily at the sound of his voice.

“Da Eunie,” he called again coaxingly. She yawned, opening her eyes at last. “We’re home,” he told her gently.

Nodding, she made to get out of her car, then fell back into the seat, gasping.

Junhyung frowned. It was as he had thought. She was in severe pain, yet still would accept no more an arm supporting hers. Sighing, he bent down and gathered her up gently, helping her gain her feet.

“Gomawo, oppa,” she smiled wearily but sweetly up at him, resting slightly on his chest.

He returned the smile with a smirk and a wink, and as he smoldered, she blushed and ducked her head to avoid his powerful gaze.

Junhyung met the eyes of Doojoon and jerked his head. The others began to head up with the newly arrived Dongwoon and Hyunseung.

“Can you walk?” Junhyung asked Da Eun seriously.

“…Yes,” she replied hesitantly. He nodded and held out his arm for her to grip, and the two headed after the others to the elevators.