Chapter 2

the detective and the church boy

“Black coffee, two sugars.” Jungkook hums and snaps his fingers. “Bring me a cookie, too, please. Whichever has the most chocolate chips.” 

The waitress scribbles the order down on a small notepad and Jungkook tries not to grimace at the colour.

“Will be right up.” Jungkook nods and then ducks behind the forgotten newspaper lying on the table in front of him. 

The murder from last night has hit the news faster than one would anticipate, but that is mostly due to the fact that nothing ever happens in that neighborhood of Seoul. 

The whole suburban street consists of overly polished human beings, all belonging to the same faith with similar mindsets. The cases Jungkook usually works on are almost always restricted to the more populated part of the city where people of all backgrounds and faiths mingle together, where laws aren’t as clear. 

Which only makes this case that much more interesting, Jungkook thinks, as he stares at the huge photo on the front page of the local newspaper. Taehyung is shielded by his father and mother, but the hopelessness in his eyes can be seen, and Jungkook finds himself staring for a bit too long. 

If it isn’t physical attraction, it is curiosity.

Jungkook has been with his fair share of people, both girls and boys, so he can easily appreciate a handsome face when he sees one. However, something about Taehyung makes him curious. Jungkook has yet to understand what exactly it is, but he knows for sure that the boy has caught his attention.

Which is why he’s doing what he’s currently doing, despite it being borderline illegal. 

Jungkook is sitting in a small diner downtown, directly across from Seoul University of Arts and Design. 

The campus stretches over multiple yards, neighboring a myriad of shops and cafes including the quaint diner Jungkook is currently hiding out in. It must be a hotspot for tired and hungry students, and Jungkook soon comes to realize that his hunch is completely correct. Despite it being ten in the morning, the place is beginning to swarm with students, and Jungkook briefly wonders if they’re his age. He did graduate earlier than socially acceptable due to hard work and genuine interest for the course he was taking. 

His borderline eidetic memory might have also played an important role in that process, but Jungkook likes the story of -breaking hard work better. 

“Sir.” Jungkook startles and quickly removes his elbows from the table so the waitress can put his order in front of him. “Enjoy your meal.” 

Jungkook nods in thanks and then quickly checks to see if his target has noticed. 

Taehyung is still head-deep in the thick book resting on the table in front of him, but Jungkook can tell by the distant look in his eyes that the boy is anywhere but present. 

Okay, so maybe he’s stepping out of line by stalking him, but it is necessary for the case. Jungkook doesn’t understand why Taehyung is back on campus a day after his little sister’s death, but that only makes this whole thing that much more interesting. 

It could be his way of coping with the sudden loss. There are many reported cases of people trying to return to their usual routines to avoid the sudden feeling of change in their lives, but Taehyung doesn’t seem like the type who would just dismiss the death of someone so close to him. Jungkook can feel that there is something more to his act. 

Taehyung reaches for the white mug resting next to his book and takes a small sip before putting it down. He blanks out again. 

Jungkook decides he should take his chance and grabs his things, making sure to leave the newspaper behind before slowly moving across the diner to the boy still lost in his thoughts. 

“Mind if I sit here?” 

Taehyung jumps, eyes wide as he stares up at Jungkook, and the latter offers him a small smile. He hopes he doesn’t look crazy. Sleep hadn’t come easy last night, much due to the very case he’s currently working on.

“Sure, uh, go ahead,” Taehyung says, sitting up straighter. Jungkook claims the spot across from him and sighs. He sips his coffee, watching the boy squirm in his seat. He’s making him uncomfortable. Jungkook briefly wonders if it’s because he works with the police.

“So, what’re you reading?” 

Jungkook doesn’t need to ask, he already knows. 

“The development of modern art,” Taehyung dutifully answers, his dry lips. Jungkook wonders if he has had any food since yesterday. There’s nothing but a mug of what appears to be hot chocolate and a thick book on the table. “It’s for my final thesis.”

“You’re in your last year then.” Jungkook nods thoughtfully as if this is news to him. Yugyeom and his computer can be very helpful when the offer of expensive vodka is on the line.

There is a moment of silence before Taehyung bites his lip and clears his throat. “You, uh, you don’t seem very old.”  

Jungkook arches an eyebrow. 

“I mean, you look a little too young to be an officer,” Taehyung corrects, cheeks turning a warm shade of red. Jungkook bites back a snort.

“I’m not an officer. Merely a private investigator.” He shrugs. “Graduated early, I blame it on my lack of social life.” 

Taehyung slowly nods and averts his gaze. Jungkook takes notice of the black turtleneck he’s wearing. It’s september, but the weather today is not cold enough to warrant warm clothing. 

“What’re your plans after graduating?” 

Taehyung looks up and bites his lip before shrugging lightly. Jungkook’s eyes subconsciously trail to the soft, plush lip caught between white teeth and he mentally stores the red flag in the back of his mind. 

“I’m not sure,” Taehyung says, his cheeks once more dusted pink because of Jungkook’s shameless staring. The detective quickly forces himself to look away and chuckles.

Damn, he needs to get laid. When was the last time? Two months ago?

“Many say an art’s degree is wasted time.”

Taehyung frowns. “I don’t believe that. Every degree is a respectable choice.”

“Maybe, but they don’t all secure you a job, you know.” 

Taehyung stares at Jungkook, eyes narrowed, and Jungkook stares back, liking the heat in the boy’s eyes.

Ok, nope. He needs to stop this. 

“Here.”

Jungkook pushes his plate across the table so it’s directly in front of Taehyung. The latter’s narrowed eyes move down to the plate, his lips parting slightly in surprise. And just like that, the anger has disappeared and Taehyung is back to his blushing, nervous self.

“Oh, it’s okay, I don’t-”

“Eat.” Jungkook crosses his arms over his chest and leans back against the chair. “You need sugar if you want your brain to retain any of the information you’ve just read.”

“It’s fine, I have this.” Taehyung reaches over and grabs his cup before shrugging lightly, cheeks pink. Jungkook pretends to be disappointed. 

“I wanted to try out their best selling cookie but just the thought of ingesting even an ounce of sugar this early in the morning is making me sick. Really, it’ll only go to waste.”

Taehyung stares at Jungkook for a moment and then slowly nods, ducking his head as he grabs the cookie. Jungkook smiles, watching the boy nibble his way through the baked good. He waits until the cookie is nothing but bits of crumbs scattered across the white plate before speaking up again. 

“How are your parents?”

Taehyung stiffens, barely, but Jungkook notices. His eye twitches a little. 

“They’re coping.” Jungkook nods. 

“What about you? It hasn’t even been a full day and you’re back to reading?”

A flicker of guilt crosses Taehyung’s face and Jungkook arches an eyebrow. Taehyung looks away, his jaw clenching.

“I have until december to send in the first draft.” He drags in a calming breath and turns his stare back on Jungkook, looking surprisingly composed. “I can’t afford to take any time off right now, no matter how much I want to.”

Jungkook’s eyes glint with amusement. “Your final deadline is in may, though. And I’ve heard that an extension on the first draft is considered a rather common occurrence at your university.” 

Taehyung blinks but doesn’t say anything, and Jungkook watches him for a moment before tilting his head to the side. 

“Tell me, Taehyung,” he says, “are your parents happy about your choices?”

“My degree?” 

Jungkook hums, reaching for his cup. “Among other things.”

Taehyung stares at Jungkook for a moment as realization slowly hits him.

Last night, Jungkook thought his theory had been a blind shot in the dark, but right now, as he watches Taehyung’s reaction to his words, Jungkook thinks that maybe he isn’t quite out of his element after all. 

Taehyung’s jaw clenches and he looks away. There is an underlying message to Jungkook’s words. Jungkook just needs a confirmation, but Taehyung doesn’t seem like he’ll comply any time soon. His cheeks are flushed, jaw locked in a scowl and Jungkook tries not to smirk in triumph.

Bingo. 

“They are as supportive as they can get,” Taehyung finally says. “My family has always supported me and my choices.” 

Jungkook nods, backing off. 

He’ll take this for now. There’s still a lot of work to do at the office. Some of Yoongi’s reports must be back by now, Jimin has probably already started going through them. Jungkook should go and help out. 

Also, Jungkook makes a mental note to go through his old contacts and find out whether or not Eunwoo is free tonight.

“Good to hear, Taehyung,” he says and gets to his feet. Taehyung frowns up at him, looking a little vexed by the detective’s peculiar actions. “And good luck on your thesis. I’ll be seeing you around.”

Jungkook winks and salutes him before turning on his heel.

Taehyung is a bit harder to read than he had anticipated, but Jungkook has always loved a challenge or two.