Chapter 14

the detective and the church boy

 14

“Taehyung’s here to see you.” 

Jungkook looks up from the file finalising Kang Minah and her family’s recent move out of the city, eyebrows arched in surprise. 

This soon? 

Jungkook had instructed the boy to rest after Mr. Kim’s trials had come to an end last week, and yet he has decided to show up at the station. It’s not like they haven’t seen each other since then, Jungkook has made sure to join Jackson on his patrols, just to make sure Taehyung has been doing well. 

And Taehyung has been sitting by his window, visibly brightening up each time the patrol car would slowly pass by his house. 

“Let him in, hyung,” Jungkook says, putting the file aside before straightening up. Jimin grins knowingly but doesn’t comment on anything and leaves the room. 

Jungkook ignores the slight pick in his heartbeat and quickly runs a hand through his hair, trying to make himself a little presentable at least.

He then notices how cold the office actually is and quickly turns his chair around to close the window behind him. Just then, the door to his office opens. 

“Good morning.” Taehyung’s voice sends a pleasant shiver down Jungkook’s spine, and the detective closes the window before swiveling his chair around, grinning at Taehyung. 

“Morning,” he replies, getting to his feet. He notices that Taehyung has closed the door behind him, but he doesn’t mention it as he moves around his desk. “You look tired.”

Taehyung’s cheeks are a soft pink, his eyes downcast. He shrugs. “Haven’t slept all that well lately.”

Jungkook can relate. 

He has squeezed in a few hours of napping every now and then, but the paperwork from both recently closed up cases had positively ruined any chances of peace, not only for Jungkook but the whole team as well. 

Mark had been on the verge of a mental breakdown, even Seulgi had come to assist them, and in the end Namjoon had decided to take it up with Boss Bang and discuss a new recruit for the writing job.

“Jimin gave me your number,” Taehyung says, breaking the silence that had ensued. He looks shy, Jungkook notices, and something in him warms at that. “I-I didn’t wanna text you, felt too soon.”

“So you decided to come all the way to the precinct instead?” Jungkook teases, biting back a smirk at the way Taehyung’s ears flame up.

“Yes, well- I just wanted to make sure it was okay.” Taehyung trails off and averts his gaze. Jungkook can’t help the chuckle that leaves him and steps closer. 

“No worries, I was actually waiting for you to do it first, you know.” Taehyung looks up at him, brows furrowing in mild confusion. “I told Jimin to give you my number.” 

“Oh.” Taehyung bites his lip and looks down again.

“So, now that you have my permission to text me,” Jungkook teasingly drawls, “wanna get lunch together?”

“Uh, Jimin told me you guys are starting on a new case today?” It sounds more like a question, and Jungkook narrows his eyes slightly. 

"Jackson and Hoseok hyung are on site right now, they're gonna drop by in an hour to give us a rundown." Taehyung nods and Jungkook arches an eyebrow. “What’s up with you and Jimin, by the way? Anything special I should be worried about?” It’s a joke, but Taehyung tenses up and quickly shakes his head. 

“No, of course not,” he says, “he just wanted to give me a heads-up, I guess. Nothing serious, really.”

Jungkook’s insides tingle. Taehyung looks flustered, maybe embarrassed that he's been put on the spot like that, but it means a lot to Jungkook. The sincerity in his words, the honesty in his denial.

Maybe it’s the early hour, maybe it’s the fact that he’s running on pure caffeine, but Jungkook suddenly feels giddy. 

Excited. Over what?

He’s not sure, maybe it’s just the prospect of him further developing this whole thing he’s got going on with Taehyung. Maybe it’s just the sight of the boy that chases away all rational thought and instead makes space for his stupid obsession with him.  

Whatever it is, Jungkook allows it to overtake him and suddenly he’s moving closer. 

“I’ve missed you,” he whispers, and Taehyung looks awfully pleased to hear it, his lips twitching slightly, despite the shyness to his voice when he speaks next. 

“You never dropped by.” He’s carefully watching the detective move closer, “kept thinking you would ring the bell. Mom also thought you’d drop by. You never did.”

Mrs. Kim had cried when Taehyung had come out to her. 

It had happened on the same day of the final trial, after they had finished their late dinner with Jungkook. Taehyung had just muttered it while they were cleaning up, and Mrs. Kim had dropped the takeout wrappers in her hands and pulled him in for a tight hug. 

Jungkook had been blinking away tears the whole time, but he had been happy. Mrs. Kim had apparently also known about it since Taehyung was a child, but she hadn’t approached him because of Mr. Kim. Because of the lies Mr. Kim fed her about Taehyung's horrendous future in hell.

Taehyung had cried in relief, it had seemed like the world’s weight had been lifted off of his shoulders, and when Jungkook had gotten up to leave not long after that, Taehyung had shyly kissed him on the cheek. Much to his mother’s happiness. 

“I wanted to drop by,” Jungkook says, breaking out of his thoughts.

He can smell him now, vanilla and all kinds of comfort surrounding him, and he tries not to groan in relief because , has he missed being close to him. Taehyung seems to be thinking something similar about him, because his shoulders are no longer tense, every muscle relaxing with each step Jungkook takes. 

“Believe me, Tae, I really ing wanted to, but I had to give you some space.”

“I don’t need it anymore,” Taehyung whispers, bravely, in contrast with the red claiming his cheeks, and Jungkook’s patience snaps. He crosses the remaining space between them in a haste to get as close as possible. 

Taehyung’s eyes widen, knowing well what is about to happen, but he doesn’t move away. 

Instead, he closes his eyes in determination and leans forward, meeting Jungkook halfways. 

Jungkook’s lips burn, adrenaline coursing through his veins, and he instinctively cups Taehyung’s face in his hands, moving his head to get closer. Taehyung seems a little hesitant, though, to do anything, to initiate anything, so Jungkook takes the reigns and gently moves his lips against the boy's. This seems to spark something in Taehyung, because he eagerly responds, a little clumsily too, as if this is the first time he's kissing someone. 

Jungkook's blood rushes in his veins, hot and fiery at the prospect of being Taehyung's first proper kiss. Because this is different from what they did at the cafe, this is filled with more need, more longing.

 At first, there’s only the feel of their lips gently moving against each other, Taehyung now perfectly having mastered how to deliciously trap Jungkook's between his own. But Jungkook suddenly wants more, burns to feel Taehyung in more ways than one. 

So he dares to seek more, tilts his head to the side and gains proper access. 

His tongue gently swipes against Taehyung’s lower lip, and the boy lightly gasps in surprise. Jungkook takes advantage of the sudden opportunity and slips his tongue past soft lips, a groan dying in his throat at the sensation. Taehyung, however, doesn’t manage as well to hold back and he whines low in his throat, the sound sending heat down Jungkook’s abdomen. 

He drinks him in, swallowing every sound the boy makes, savouring the distinct flavour that is Kim Taehyung, and then has to fight every cell in his body to pull away.

Taehyung’s face moves forward before he stops himself, frowning up at Jungkook. Something jolts in the detective’s belly at the sight and he leans his forehead against Taehyung’s, both panting as if only now realizing they need to breathe. 

“,” Jungkook mutters, because Taehyung’s lips are red, puffy and parted. Taehyung makes a small sound in reply and tightly grips Jungkook’s shirt, pulling him closer. Jungkook allows him and wraps an arm around him, burying his face in Taehyung’s neck, reveling in the surprised hitch in the boy’s breath. 

Jungkook doesn’t mean to, but he kisses the soft skin there, feeling Taehyung shiver in his grip. It’s a sensitive spot, he realizes, and stores the information in the back of his head. 

“How many times,” he murmurs, leaning back to look at the boy, “how many times have you done something like this before?” 

Taehyung’s cheeks are a fiery red and he his lips as he shakes his head. Jungkook’s eyes follow the movement and he holds himself back from leaning down for more. 

Never.

Taehyung has never kissed anyone before. Something primal in Jungkook awakens, urging him to stake his claim and mark the boy up, make it clear to everyone that Kim Taehyung is his. 

And so he hungrily leans in for more, earning a surprised whine in response. Taehyung reponds, though, instantly. But this time, his hands aren't fisted in Jungkook's shirt, instead they gently move up his arms and then settle on the base of his neck, fingers carefully tugging on Jungkook's curls. 

"," Jungkook grunts against his lips, his hands probably bruising Taehyung's waist at this point, but he can't seem to control himself and so he latches onto the boy's lower lip, revelling in the choked moan that is breathed out against him. 

And then, realization hits him, hard, and he quickly removes his arms, taking a step backwards as if burnt. Taehyung’s brows knit in both worry and confusion, hands dropping to his sides as he snaps out of his daze. Just as quickly as he had moved away, Jungkook rushes forward and interlocks their fingers. Shakes his head with a small smile of disbelief on his face. 

"Sorry," he says, "didn't mean to attack you like that."

Taehyung is unable to answer, and he just stares at the detective, pants now calming down into gentle breaths, but his eyes still hold a little worry in them. Jungkook decides he doesn't like that look and he huffs out a laugh. 

“If this is your first proper- I just- okay," he drags in a quick breath and shakes his head, "let's take it slowly."

Taehyung's throat bobs as he swallows, his fingers tightening around Jungkook's. "I'm okay."

"And that's great," Jungkook agrees, smiling, "knowing that makes me feel really good, Tae. But I don't want to force you into anything you're not ready to do."

“But you're not,” Taehyung mutters, and Jungkook chuckles fondly. He pulls the boy closer and breathes in deeply, filling his lungs with vanilla and Taehyung. 

“What I’m trying to say is that we have all the time in the world, Tae, so let’s savour each moment together. Let's not rush anything.”

Taehyung looks surprised by his words, but his lips quirk into a small, appreciative smile, and he nods gently. 

“Okay.”