5

The Nice One

Minhyun realised Baekho was probably trying to understand him better and he was hesitant to respond to the question. He didn't want to put Baekho down in fear that the other might accidentally step on the flowers or worse yet, trip and squash them. "You're right. I'm not going to. So zip your lips before I leave you in here alone."

 

"Oh." That made Baekho fall silent since he didn't want to be left alone in a cave, not that Minhyun didn't already do that. He carried Baekho in deeper until they finally reached another clearing. Baekho's ears perked up when he heard the sound of water. After being trapped in the cave for several days, Baekho's eyes had already adjusted themselves accordingly so when he saw the small waterfall that seemed to flow in from a small crack above and created a pond below, he got really excited. He tried to hop down to get to the water but Minhyun's leg stayed around his waist. "Water!"

 

"Stay still," Minhyun commanded and Baekho pouted but stopped moving. They approached the waterfall, crossing over a crevice that Baekho would have undoubtedly fell in if he had been allowed to walk by himsel and finally Minhyun put him down. Baekho tiptoed at first, a little unused to standing on firm ground already but he gradually placed his feet flat as he waddled into the water. It was cold but Baekho found it refreshing since it had been awhile that he had come in contact with a large body of water. He smiled brightly as he dipped in the pond and tried to get all the dirt that had accumulated on his body off. "Ugh. You made your clothes wet."

 

"Huh? Oh crap," Baekho gasped when he stood up and realised the other was right. He had totally let the concept of taking off his clothes to shower go over his head when he saw the waterfall. He eyed Minhyun who was still in his clothes and only had his feet dipped into the water.

 

"Don't you have some spare?" he asked in a childish tone. Minhyun raised a brow and scoffed.

 

"Why don't you catch a cold and deal with it?" Minhyun responded coldly and Baekho grumbled. An idea popped into his head and he knew he was probably going to get killed for it but it was worth a shot. He approached Minhyun and hopped onto the spider hybrid who had temporarily let his guard down. Minhyun shrieked when the cold and wet tiger hybrid clung onto him while laughing.

 

"Now you're wet too!" He said triumphantly and Minhyun snarled, lifting a leg to poke Baekho away forcefully until he fell into the water. Baekho giggled though instead of getting scared like before which confused Minhyun.

 

"Stop laughing," Minhyun hissed and Baekho rolled his lips in, trying to stop himself but it still escaped a little. Minhyun tried not to laugh along and turned away, getting out from the water. He could almost feel himself warming up at the sound of Baekho's laughter and he told himself that he couldn't fall for the other. It would only serve to hurt him.

 

After that and Baekho's pleads to take a look at the little garden, Minhyun allowed him although he was absolutely strict about the flowers being stepped on. Baekho squatted beside the flower patch and smiled, tail twirling excitedly. Flowers were a form of life that Baekho had missed seeing after all. He wanted to touch it, to feel it but Minhyun's pointed glare made him pull his hand back.

 

"Don't you want to get out of here?" Baekho asked. "There are so many flowers outside."

 

"No."

 

Baekho glanced back at Minhyun who was frowning. "But they're all so pretty in spring! And there are fields full of th-"

 

"We are leaving," Minhyun cut in sharply and pulled Baekho up by his arm, making him gasp.

 

"But we just got here." Minhyun wasn't listening to him though as he dragged the tiger hybrid by his arm, carrying him up with two of his legs. Baekho squeaked but held on since they were going back to the wide open area. Baekho wondered if he had potentially screwed something up with what he had said but didn't dare bring himself to mention it again. 

 

He sneezed and scrunched his nose uncomfortably. The spider hybrid was probably right about him catching a cold. His sneezes weren't exactly soft either as the echoes in the cave travelled far. His screams even further too. He wondered where Minhyun was today, whatever the day was, since the hybrid had disappeared the moment he was up again. There wasn't much he could do on the hammock except lay around since he feared falling down now. He yawned and hugged himself, shuddering from the cold. He pouted a little, thinking the spider hybrid was so mean for not sparing him dry clothes and the cold was sinking into his skin as well. He closed his eyes and rubbed his nose, hoping sleep would help his situation. 

 

Baekho twitched when he felt the hammock sink. His eyes opened slightly, wondering if it was just Minhyun coming back from wherever he disappeared too but the overall weight shift was heavier and somehow Baekho smelt a different presence instead so he shut his eyes and curled up tightly. Despite being a spider hybrid, Minhyun didn't really have much of a scent. Just slight flowery but this one was too different and it alarmed Baekho in a bad jittery way even though Minhyun was probably just as scary. He held his breath when he heard breathing coming closer to him and he crossed his fingers, praying it was something less scary than the spider hybrid who already made him break down every so often. But who was he kidding. Its a cave. Everything in the cave scared him except for the flowers and waterfall. He felt the heavy presence stop above him and he shuddered even more out of fear now. Please don't eat him, whatever you are.

 

Then he heard a sharp hiss. 

 

He opened his eyes since he recognised Minhyun's voice and he almost regretted it as he saw a bat hybrid but it was huge, larger than Baekho and Minhyun as well. He screamed in shock and scuttled away, frantically finding for Minhyun in the dark but a claw grasped his shirt and he tried to hit it away but it was lifting him up. Why the hell did these cave hybrids have to be so huge?!