The Promise

The Rise Of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I could still remember it clearly...

Every night for the last fifteen years, it became a recurring nightmare. 

It was a regular morning.

We were having breakfast like usual. Me having my bowl of cereals while my older sister woke up late that day and was practically gorging on her bacon and eggs inside . Mom had been scolding her again as she had been binge-reading her favorite novel until late last night. Dad was reading the newspaper while drinking his coffee, not minding the argument that grows between his wife and eldest daughter.

He looked like he doesn't hear anything or maybe, he's grown used to it like me who's staring at my mom and my sister argue. I was minding my own, looking at how mom's forehead crease in frustration while my sister rolls her eyes. 

It was very normal. It's what had been happening every morning for as long as I can remember.

How I wished it continued to be this normal day...

A knock came onto our door so my father left us at the table to answer it. I remember how mom volunteered to answer it my old man insisted. I remembered how his mobile phone rang followed by our landline phone ringing as well which had both mom and my sister stopped arguing.

A few seconds later, men wearing black suits entered our home before dad called unto mom. My sister and I remained on our seats but both of us watch them talk, especially dad. Despite his calm demeanor, I noticed the change in his expression and those beads of sweat forming on his temples, after which mom adopted that same expression on her face.

"Please take my daughters first," Dad asked, hurrying his way towards us. It's the first time I saw mom ran so fast, climbing the stairs.

"What's going on?" My sister asked as we both stood up from our seats while I immediately hold onto her hand, staring at those men by the door at the same time. 

"We're going for a vacation, Alice." Dad forced a smile before cupping her cheek then patting my head. Mom then came back with her bag and a briefcase.

The men then ushered both my sister and I inside the car before they closed the door for us after we got in. Then, my parents and these men started talking, standing just outside the door of the car. We couldn't understand them as the windows were all rolled up and locked.

"Who goes for a vacation in the middle of the school year?" Alice questioned, browse all furrowed in annoyance as she tried to open the door of the car but, it wouldn't budge, "What the hell?"

"What's going on, Alice?" I asked, sitting properly beside her, not having any clue on what's happening. I instantly flinched when she suddenly bangs on the glass of the car's window which earned our dad's attention, gesturing his hand up, telling her to wait.

And then, everything just turned black...

When I regained my consciousness, the pain instantly courses all throughout my body. When I opened my eyes, I realized that the whole car was upside down. The windows were all smashed and broken and I was laying on what seemed to be the car's roof. 

But despite the pain on my body, I didn't shed a tear. Not until I saw my sister, laying just beside me and unconscious. 

I immediately feel terrified as I looked at my sister all bloodied and unconscious. I was afraid that she's dead but I pulled myself to check on her, calling her name but my sister remained frozen as she laid there. 

Not knowing what to do, I called out for my mom. "MOMMY!" I was practically screaming already but no one came.

We are alone... Did they leave us?

 I did everything to wake up Alice up but she just wouldn't open her eyes. Is she really dead?

I continued to cry, laying beside her while holding her hand. I was afraid to be alone and with Alice gone, I don't know what I'm supposed to do. 

Suddenly, I was hushed when somebody called softly, "Hey!" he called in a kind of whisper-shouting way, crouching by the window.

"Hey, little girl..." He called again. I tried to turn and look and saw this boy who looks like my sister's age, calling for me. I noticed the blood dripping from the side of his forehead which had me frightened. My sister is bleeding, and he was bleeding. I realized... I was bleeding too that's why it feels painful. 

"Don't cry or shout, okay? Or they will hear you." He says softly, looking extremely worried and frightened at the same time. His eyes were wide and his hand was trembling as he reaches out his hand to me. 

"My s-sister..." I sobbed looking at him but trying to contain myself from crying loudly.

"Come here. We have to hide right now" He says.

"Nooo..." I refused, shaking my head while clutching my sister's hand.

"Please come with me. I... I have chocolate... look." Despite the obvious agitation, he was able to think of something to entice me with. He then takes out something from his pocket before showing it to me. It was my favorite chocolate bar but I remembered mom's words -- stranger danger.

I shook my head again, refusing him and was about to cry out loud to call for my parents. But all of a sudden, I heard a low growling nearby. A breathy growling, gnarling like in those scary movies my sister watches late at night.

However, what's scared me the most is the absence of that background music, it's the silence that's being broken by the low growling. It's the same fear I have at night when I'm sleeping peacefully but will be awakened by a noise made by something I couldn't see nor my parents could see.

I could hear my heartbeat beating inside my ears while my head snaps in every direction, searching for the source of that ungodly sound. 

I was afraid of being alone but, I'm more afraid of monsters. If only my sister would wake up and tell me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter