Chapter 6

You're My Deadline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Having a bestfriend is amazing. Having a childhood friend is the best.

Chorong and Bomi had that, acknowledging each other as their first of the first. Merely because they witnessed each other during their first. But it's more than that.

They literally did everything together. Regardless of where they are, they had the best times together.

Chorong was shy while Bomi was outgoing, they may have been the opposites but there were no dull moment between them. Simply because they clicked. Since day one.

Chorong couldn't almost imagine her life without Bomi. They were always together. 2 years , but it doesn't matter. The only negative thing about that was they never experienced being classmates way back then. If they weren't in school? 100% they were together.

Everyone else knew that they were always together because if one of them was missing, people would always ask the other.

But they got older. Spending most time in school, they got another friends. Although they never failed to catch up during weekends to talk about what happened on their week. But since they grew older, they started spending less and less time together.

And then one day... Everything they had was lost.

Bomi moved away, lost in touch with her. And then they outgrew each other. Letting other people entered their lives while believing that they will forget each other for a while.

It was sad and it hurts for the both of them but that was the reality.

Between them, it was Chorong who had a hard time. When Bomi's gone, she waited for her to call, to reach out. But it never happened. It was the moment when she realized, she's the only one who tried to hold on and keep the friendship going because Bomi already let go.

People come and go. Some stays for a long time, while some stays for a moment.

If there's one lesson Chorong learned in the process. It's acceptance and letting go. Bomi was the first person she was forced to let go.

It hurts to realized that Bomi was never been there during the most important days in her life.

Her birthday debut. Her graduation. When she passed the board exam. And there's a lot that she thought she would celebrate with Bomi but had been nothing but just a hope.

She knew the reality of growing apart but never imagined it with Bomi.

Because Bomi... was that person she thought would stay forever. Never she had thought that something will break them apart.

Not even time. Not even distance.

But it happened, there wasn't a fight between them. She just lost her.

She grieve. Of course she did. But the temporary happiness she had with Bomi was worth the pain.

And life goes on. She had to move on.

Sometimes there won't be closure.

Chorong never got the answers to questions of why she lost Bomi. She never thought Bomi could betray her like the way she did.

But Bomi came back.

Did Bomi came back because she missed her? Did Bomi came back to say sorry? Did Bomi came back because she finally realized her mistake? Whatever it is, there is still one important question.

Did Bomi came back for good?

And another lesson that Chorong learned.

When someone comes back. Never forget that... That 'someone' once left. Never forget how easily that 'someone' left without looking back.

Did she comes back to leave again?

------

It's been more than 5 minutes when Chorong rushed toward the kitchen to grab something to eat.

It's weekend and they decided to watch some movie to catch up since Changsub just came back from a business trip that took him 3 months.

Chorong came back into the living room carrying a cake covered in burning candles as she started singing a happy birthday to him. With that smile almost brighter than the candles, Chorong stopped in front of him.

"You think I would let this day passed without a cake huh?"

Changsub smiled. Almost hurt with the thought that Chorong had forgotten his birthday. It's almost impossible though. Since their birthday happened to be just a week apart.

Chorong pushed the cake towards him, almost forcing him to blow it. Calm down ma'am.

"There's no age... My age reminds you of yours right?" he teased again.

"29 candles." Chorong simply stated. "Now, blow them and make a wish."

Changsub stared at the candles. Is it really 29? What should he wish for? Money? Good health? Love?

Well, he didn't lack of money. His income is enough for him to live comfortably. He is in good health. Love? Well... It will come in the right time. Then his wish will be... For Chorong and him... That one day both of them will settle down... for that someone to come sooner since they both were not getting any younger.

"Here's my present." Chorong passed a small box towards him. "Open it."

Changsub slid one finger, removing the wrapper and folded it neatly.

"Thank you so much." he lifted the lid and looked at the object in the box.

A black wrist watch.

"To remind you to have time for yourself. You're working 24/7." Chorong explained.

Changsub looked at her for a few moments, almost teary because he was grateful. He thanked the girl again and gave her a short hug.

"I cooked your favorite food. Come and lets eat together. I'll prepare the table." she said and stood up.

Changsub sank bank against his pillow and watched Chorong heads to the kitchen.

One day she'll be a wonderful wife for someone. Too bad it can't be him.

Flashback~~~

It's just one of the typical evenings they had, walking around somewhere. Strolling, basically just spending time together.

But that night seems different.

Chorong swept the few bread crumbs on her lap while Changsub stretched out next to her.

Date.

They were in Han river, admiring the view of the night sky and appreciating the peaceful atmosphere the river was giving.

Changsub watched Chorong take all in, it's peaceful there. On how they always wanted. He smiled, proud of himself that he didn't take Chorong in some restaurant and just decided to have a spontaneous picnic in the river.

Ridiculously romantic.

There were moments where he resisted holding Chorong's hand. Maybe bringing Chorong there was not a good idea at all.

It was Bomi's favorite hangout place. Or maybe it is still Bomi's favorite hangout place.

"Is this okay?" he asked.

"Of course." Chorong proceeded to unpacked the basket full of foods that she cooked for that night. The improvised dinner was composed of meat and chicken feet. They ate in silence, just enjoying the night.

It's so cold but neither of them seems to mind.

"Rong?"

"Hmm?" Chorong opened her eyes and looked at him with her warm gaze.

"You were happy with me right?"

The question caught Chorong off guard but managed to smile in a blink.

"I AM happy with you. Why are you using past tense." she frowned, showing her pouty and puffy cheeks that had always been her charm when she wanted something.

Changsub simply chuckled and started to reminisce some important details he had with Chorong.

They met in a mutual friend's birthday celebration. They were just 24 way back then, Changsub was the typical happy go lucky man that Chorong used to hate.

First impression.

He basically had that bad first impression to Chorong and he felt the need to correct that. Until he became that missing piece that Chorong was looking for all this time.

Second chance.

He was given second chance to prove himself. To introduce himself on whom he really was. Everything was just random and unexpected.

The more they got to know each other, the more they clicked. It was like those corny movie scenes on how he fell inlove with her where fireworks exploded, crowd went wild and such butterflies in the stomach.

Changsub chuckled with the memories that slip on his mind. Even if it's corny and cringy, he won't mind replaying everything.

And one day, he realized that he's all in. He wanted to give everything. No way he would run away. He wanted his relationship with Chorong to lasts forever.

Settling down.

He started with the basic things. Having secret dates and hangouts with people around Chorong.

Meeting her family, her friends, knowing more about her. It's not an actual preparation for wedding but he knew how important the approval from people around Chorong is.

Proposal.

Chorong is that kind of person who doesn't want to be the center of attraction. She is doing everything silently but ofcourse she's grateful when her efforts were acknowledge. Although Changsub wanted a grand proposal, he needs to consider Chorong... Or else...

Knowing Chorong

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter