The First Meeting

A Simple Distraction

Rebecca walked down the now familiar cobblestones alley that led away from her apartment unseeingly, eyes glued to her phone as she watched yet another puppy video on YouTube. She focused on the adorable animals, steadfastly ignoring her own intense discomfort at being outside in the early afternoon. It was one of the problems with living in the Melbourne CBD when one had crippling social anxiety. Sometimes she truly regretted moving to the city, but knew that there had truly been no other option if she was to find steady work.

 

At the same time Rebecca found it comforting to live in the city – the anonymity that came with being only one of many people. Certainly it was a good place to blend in with others, which was what an idea that put her at peace. Honestly, if I could just look after puppies full time my life would be complete. The woman smiled to herself as she continued with her video. Honestly, she referred to every dog as a puppy regardless of their actual age.

 

Unfortunately she was so determinedly focused on the video that she missed the form rushing toward her until it was almost too late. Trying to react quickly and avoid a collision she moved to one side, managing only to have her side clipped. However as Rebecca attempted to reorient herself she stepped awkwardly on one of the uneven stones of the footpath and her ankle gave way with a painful wrench. She soon found herself in an inelegant heap on the ground, unable to hold in the pained shout that forced itself past her lips.

 

“Ah – sorry!” An accented voice cried out.

“, that hurts!” Rebecca hissed.

“Sorry, sorry!” At the continued apologies, she finally looked up to see who she had knocked into. It was obviously a man of Asian descent, his eyes wide and most of his face obscured by a mask. He had black hair which appeared to be cut short.

“. No need to apologise, I am really clumsy for the most part so this happens a lot for some reason.” She managed to get out in between hissing breaths.

“Sorry, my English is not good.” Rebecca imagined he looked sheepish at the admission.

“What language do you speak?” She asked.

“Korean.”

 

“Oh, I can handle that!” Momentarily forgetting her pain, Rebecca switched over to speak in the other language.

“You speak Korean?” The man sounded even more baffled now.

“I do. I also speak Japanese and German if you speak either of them as well.” She chuckled, only to gasp when a wave of pain pulsed from her ankle.

“Are you alright?” The man knelt down, hands hovering awkwardly between them as if he did not know if he was allowed to touch.

“I’m fine. I have a weak ankle, always have. I have strapping back home which I can use.” Rebecca said tiredly, used to her body having silly weaknesses.

 

She maneuvered herself onto her hands and knees, dark hair falling messily into her face.

“Do you want help?” The man reached his hand out with only a moment of hesitation. Rebecca scoffed with a smile.

“I think I will pull you down with me.” He was so lean, she worried she would be embarrassed further by being too heavy to pull up.

“I am stronger than I look.” he insisted, hand still outstretched. With a heavy sigh, Rebecca accepted his hand and was promptly yanked up with a force she did not anticipate.

 

The man obviously was not either and was probably trying to prove her wrong, in doing so he overestimated and she crashed into his chest. She was worried for a moment that they would topple over together, but warm arms encircled her and amazingly they were both kept steady. The touch only lasted for a moment before the other pulled away, looking left and right down the alley as if checking for people watching.

“No need to be so paranoid, stranger things have happened with no one caring.” Rebecca laughed, getting a small chuckle in return.

“Sorry, habit.” He reached and rubbed the back of his head. “Do you need me to pay for a lift home, I feel guilty still.”

 

“No, I live legitimately two minutes that way.” Rebecca waved in the direction she came from. “I can manage, there are stairs but I will be fine.”

“I will help you get there.” He said in a firm voice, which implied no argument would be allowed.

“How do I know this is not just an elaborate plan to kill me?” She was only half joking, but laughed at the man’s surprised reaction. “Will you at least tell me your name so that I am not leading a complete stranger to my home?”

“Ah yes, of course. It is Jooheon.”

“Nice to meet you, I am Rebecca. I suppose we might as well go then.”

 

Agreeing, Jooheon took one of her arms over his shoulder to help support her weight and allowed Rebecca to lead them back down the alley. She was telling the truth and they arrived within minutes at the building which held her apartment. It was a little rundown heritage building which had a lift that was flanked by narrow stairs.

“I am on the first floor, for some reason the lift skips it.” She explained. Jooheon looked at the stairway in determination.

“Walk in front, I will support you from behind.” He said.

“Bit forward aren’t you?” She joked, getting a blush from him.

 

Slowly they made their way up the narrow stairs, the creaking of wood a constant companion. By the time they reached her floor, Rebecca was breathing in short gasps as her ankle protested the activity. Jooheon held a concerned look as she unlocked the door and followed her into the apartment. It was a small studio, a double bed pushed against the far wall with a TV hanging on the wall opposite it. The kitchenette was on the left wall as they entered, and couch was squeezed in next to the bed. Rebecca was a little ashamed to have a complete stranger in her space and probably judging it, but she pushed that aside.

 

She sat down on the couch with a sigh of relief, propping her leg up on a coffee table. She winced at the sight of her bloodied knees. “Why did I have to be wearing a dress?” She groaned in annoyance.

“Sorry again.” Jooheon bowed deeply with regret.

“I forgive you, it is fine. Could you please get me my medicine box? It is in the bathroom which is that door on the right.” Rebecca gestured at the door just inside the apartment entryway. “It is a white box, under the sink.” Jooheon nodded and rushed to the bathroom, emerging shortly after with the box.

 

He brought it over and placed it on the coffee table then stood, looking a bit lost.

“You can sit on my bed.” She said distractedly, already opening the box. After a moment’s hesitation he did, perching on the edge and looking incredibly awkward as he did so. It took Rebecca little time to find the familiar crepe like strapping tape, and she began working on her ankle with a practiced ease.

“How do you know what to do?”

“I told you, I have a weak ankle. I have been injuring it since I was eight; you pick up a few things after enough of that.”

“Sor-“

“Do not apologise again, there is nothing to apologise for. Although perhaps you can repay me by satisfying my curiosity. Why were you rushing so much?”

“I-I was just trying to get somewhere quickly.” He stuttered, looking down.

“Oh no, have I made you late for something?” She asked, genuinely guilty.

“Not at all.” He promised. “I just wanted to try a nearby coffee place before it closed.”

“Oh.” She nodded, “That makes sense. Given it is past 5pm now you might be out of luck, I am really sorry.”

“Hey, if I cannot apologise then neither can you.” He smiled, losing some of his tension.

 

“Give me a few minutes and I can take you to a really nice café I know that will be open now.”

“You don’t have to.”

“I want to, please.” Rebecca had no idea where this was coming from; normally she shied away from new people. Too late to take it back now.

“Alright, let’s do it.”

 

Rebecca smiled and nodded, turning her attention back to the strapping on her ankle. Once she was satisfied she secured the end with a butterfly clip and packed away the rest of the tape. She got some alcohol wipes out of the box next, wiping the grazes on her knees and wincing at the sting. They were only superficial and the bleeding was already slowing so she placed bandages on them before deciding it was enough. She closed the box back up and stood, testing her ankle. The pain was still strong but the added stability helped lessen it so she it was a success according to Rebecca.

 

“I will just put this away and then we can go.” She smiled at Jooheon and retreated to the bathroom to do so. When she came back out he was waiting by the door, hands in his pockets. He was nervous. “We don’t have to go if you are uncomfortable. Feel free to say no.” She offered him an out.

“I would be happy to go.” He reassured her.

“Then go we shall.” With that she lead him out of the apartment and back down the stairs, carefully taking them one at a time.

 

 

Jungkook’s eyes were wide as he followed Rebecca downstairs. What am I thinking? What was I thinking? He asked himself, annoyed. He was mortified to have pushed her over and caused injury, even though it was an accident. Then he panicked and lied about his name like an idiot. Then he said yes to going with her to a café! There was no obvious reason for why he said yes, except that she had looked happy when suggesting it.

Hyungs would kill me if they knew. Hell they will kill me for going off on my own like I did anyway. Despite all of his worrying, Jungkook could not keep himself from trailing after Rebecca.