Memories

120 More Years Beyond Boundaries

“I wonder if he’s just tired,” Minseok murmured quietly. Turning around to her he extended his arm, “I’ll help you down.”

“Oh…” Accepting his hand, Namjoo swung her leg over the horse and slid down.

“Where do you have your breakfast?” Minseok asked leading his horse to the tree.

“I already ate.” Namjoo reminded.

“That’s right,” he laughed. “I forgot for a moment.”

Managing a smile, she rubbed her arm and waited for him to finish. Joining Minseok as they exited the forest area.

“If the food is ready, you should go ahead,” Namjoo suggested.

“Should I?” his eyes popped open wider. “Then I’m going to leave first.”

Minseok’s back became smaller the further he ran. Until he jumped up into the porch leading into the main building. Massaging her arm, she slowly trekked down the courtyard. Ahead, the cherry blossom tree leaves were dancing in the wind. Petals floating down in flittering movements.

Once more Namjoo took in the world surrounding her. The thatched buildings, tiled roofs that weren’t so popular anymore, and the dirt floor of the spacious courtyard. To the men variably dressed in clothes she’d only seen through paintings and illustrations telling of their history. Their topknots, a symbol of a male’s pride. The women constantly at work, a level lower because this was a man’s world and he generated the rules to live by.

This was a world still yet needing to evolve, be industrialized.

Somehow…she had been sent back into the imperial dynasty. Taking the place of the person who should be here or maybe she didn’t exist at all, and was just miraculously here. But Chanyeol was here.

Chanyeol existed.

She couldn’t find a plausible explanation for that.

Her gaze threatened to move toward the west guest house where Chanyeol’s door was closed. Unable to wash off the conflicting emotions from earlier. Biting her lip, she shuffled off to her room.

Who was he?

Why was he making her feel these things that belonged to only her Chanyeol?

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Namjoo was served food in her room. Lunch and dinner. She had spent her time sitting around. Playing with the makeup on her vanity. Flipping through a book that consisted of Chinese characters she was not familiar with. The calligraphy impossible for her to read. Tossing that aside she lay around wasting the hours.

When enough time passed, she slid the door open poking her head out. Down the hall she recognized the sounds of the servants still at work. Business hours had quieted. No thudding footsteps. No chatty male voices as they were led to their rooms. Just an empty hallway with several girls carrying on their tasks.

Catching a girl passing, Namjoo asked, “Has dinner been served to the guests?”

“Yes…” she answered hesitant. “Is there something you need?”

“No.” Shaking her head Namjoo stepped back into her room. Concealing herself back inside.

She was not to be put on display or mingle with the guests. A rule she had become accustomed with. She wasn’t a part of Madam Cho’s business. In order not to intervene with the bathhouse, she was ordered to slip into the shadows and pretend like she didn’t exist. Giving her the freedom to do what she want, but Namjoo never ventured outside anyway.

She wasn’t familiar with this world. Cautious of getting lost if she wandered too far. This wasn’t her modern city where she might find a bus stop with a map plastered at the side. Per experience with the man that had tried kidnapping her, Namjoo couldn’t just talk with a stranger on the road.

If it took days to get to the next city she’d rather not go anywhere.

Retreating to the edge of the bed, Namjoo sighed. Chanyeol hadn’t ordered her to bring him any of his meals. He hadn’t inquired after her. At all.

Hadn’t he made a fuss just yesterday?

Namjoo recalled the hardboiled expression he had looked at her with. What was his problem? Soft with her one moment. Angry and distant the next. Like she’d committed some kind of atrocious act.

Rustling her hair, she plopped back onto the bed.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

Plastered between the doorway, Chanyeol stared into the empty courtyard. Back against one end of the threshold, his foot flat against the other end. Facing the direction that led toward the bathhouse building.

Two different girls had served him. One bringing his meals. The other prepping his bath. None of them who lingered on his mind. Even if she was supposed to be fulfilling her duties, he hadn’t pressed when she didn’t appear.

Part of him wondering if she’d had a good time with Minseok. But it shouldn’t matter and he needn’t think. Yet he thought and he thought.

What made him suddenly yearn for another out of the blue, like he had always felt this way. That he was the only one entitled to be revolving around her. These thoughts suddenly gusting through him at ample speed. Planting its seed and refusing to unroot.

Out of the corner of his eye he caught the branches of the cherry blossom tree. A distinct wind teasing the leaves loose. Hints of the salty lake layered beneath the evening breeze. The sun still yet to finish its descent. Now a beaming glow of very bright orange sliding across the horizon. A flush of white clouds floated out of sight clearing the sky.

As if what had gone through his mind had funneled to life Namjoo appeared by the tree. Arm outstretched to catch the flying petals. An expression of fondness visible on her face. opening in awe. Those pretty pink lips forming a smile.

The picture catching his heart. The pink leaves dancing around her. Landing in her hair. On her sleeves. Snowing around her like they, too, were mesmerized by her beauty. The setting sun, becoming a backdrop, shone less brightly than she.

Enamored, Chanyeol compressed his lips. Feeling his breath catch.

Removing his foot from the threshold, he quietly stepped down the two granite steps. Making his way down the courtyard. The turn of Namjoo’s head upon his presence caused his heart to hike up in speed, but he couldn’t stop. He had to be near.

He had to go to her.

Plucking a petal off her head he held his palm out, “I caught one for you.”

She glanced down at his offered hand. Giving him view of her dainty lashes; the milky texture of her smooth skin. The unique way the light bounced off her silky hair and the blue ribbon that held her braid tightly.

Dropping the petal into her withdrawn hand, he commented, “It’s pretty.”

Namjoo’s big eyes full of wonder met his when she tilted her head back. Chanyeol would have normally looked away. This evening he didn’t.

The air tremored. Softly with hints of a romantic lull. His insides bubbled with a kind of joy he never knew he could feel.

Holding his hands at his back, he turned to watch the petals flying around them. “You missed my lunch and dinner.”

“Uh…well…” she breathed.

“Tomorrow,” he cut in stealing a peek through the corner of his eye, “you must bring them to me. All three.”

Chanyeol glanced away the moment she looked his way. The corner of his lip, on his left side, out of her view, twitched upward.

He stole another peek. Finally asking, “Did you enjoy learning how to ride a horse earlier?”

“I didn’t learn anything,” Namjoo shook her head. “I just rode the horse.”

Chanyeol blinked. A little surprised. A little glad to hear.

“Do you want to learn?”

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

“Over here,” Chanyeol called out when Namjoo stopped beside Sun who was tied to the nearest tree.

Patting his stallion’s long neck to greet him he started untying the tree he was tied to.

“We’re taking yours?” Namjoo asked.

“We’re taking mine,” Chanyeol answered as his horse shook his head. Releasing a sneeze. His dark black mane a gorgeous sliver beneath the winking sunlight. “That’s a good boy.”

Peering over his shoulder he caught her observing the horse curiously. Her wondrous eyes were a phenomenal thing he wanted to keep in his sight.

Chanyeol was quick to avert his eyes. Asking, “Do you need help getting on?”

“No,” she rejected moving forward, “I can get on.”

He stepped aside to watch her grip onto the saddle. Place her foot through the stirrup and struggle to climb up. He nearly thought about giving her a boost but ended up watching slightly amused. Huffing and blowing out a breath when she finally sat on the horse.

Smiling in a silly way, “I got on.”

“You can move your feet.” Chanyeol instructed.

“Oh…sorry.”

He gave his horse’s protruding neck another pat. Stepping into the stirrup he grabbed onto whatever he could of the saddle. Shifting his weight, he pulled himself up. Swiftly sitting behind her. The horse neighed. Taking several steps to the side.

Leaning into her back he reached for the reins. Feeling the width of her shoulders probe his chest; the heat of her body warming his front. Pulling the reins gently to steady the horse he handed her the reins.

“I’ve never tried this before.” She uncertainly confessed.

“I’ll show you.” He urged the leather into her hands. Butterflies retaliated in his stomach when her long fingers brushed his hand. “We’ll just go around the trees.”

Namjoo’s threaded hair touched his face as he leaned into her. Lightly touching chin to her shoulder. He could sit further back. Arms merely around her to teach her the ropes, but he felt like a bee drawn to honey.

Blanketing his hands over her grip on the reins, he instructed, “Tug lightly to get him going and then steer him.”

Obeying, the horse made a right. Weaving through the trees at a constant pace. Allowing him the time to absorb everything about her. The hands that were warm and tender. The small of her figure tucked against him. The light feminine scent that belonged to her. His eyes scanned her face. The faint flush of pink in her cheeks whether from the glee of the moment or because they were ultimately close. Either reason made his heart pitter patter.

As if noticing, Namjoo’s eyes veered in his direction and she glanced over her shoulder at him. The singular moment became a luxury to him.

When their eyes locked and he sketched everything about her into memory. His hand loosened then braced above hers. He watched her eyes float away shyly before sliding back.

Chanyeol had never known for his heart to go rampant before.

Something about her that made his senses run wild. Always.

Her hair grazed his cheek again when she turned. “The sun is setting.”

Pulling the horse to a stop he stared into the distance. Past the hues of green. Beyond where the many trees branched out preserving the gaps between leaves. The light of day was blinking weakly in the distance. The horizon becoming dimmer as shadows started falling.

“Can we go further out?” Namjoo asked. “I’ve never seen the sunset before.”

He didn’t mind. “Lead him.”

“Huh?” She seemed momentarily confused then glanced down at the leather in her hands. “But…”

“In case he decides to veer off, I’ll keep a hold on you.” He promised. “I’m pretty sure he won’t.”

Namjoo was hesitant. Then mimicking his earlier tug, she sent the horse going. Yelping excited as she steered the horse left and straight ahead.

Shrieking astonished, “I did it! I did it!” Forgoing the intimate air they’d just experienced she ecstatically peered at him. Happily laughing and smiling.

Swiveling around she leaned forward to pat the horse’s neck excited. So easily like that Chanyeol was truly charmed by her.

“What is his name?” Namjoo wondered, hand back on the reins.

“He doesn’t have one.”

“Why not?”

“I never thought of one.”

“How does he respond to you then?”

“He just knows.” Chanyeol answered. Closing in on the lakeshore he said, “You want to watch the sunset?”

“Oh…yea…”

Pulling the horse to a stop, Chanyeol first slid down. This time, he held his hand out to her. Recalling that he hadn’t the last time.

Swinging her leg from the other side of the horse, Namjoo gripped his hand. He caught her halfway down. His arm sliding around her as she flew off the horse. She unexpectedly bumped against him. Withdrawing his arm around her waist he released her hand and stepped toward the startled horse.

Grabbing the reins from under his chin, Chanyeol touched the horse’s face. Combing his fingers through the dark mane. Settling his palm against his face.

“He’s my third one,” Chanyeol told.

Namjoo looked at him inquisitively.

“Cheon was struck by an arrow. She was the first one. I trained with her the longest. Yiji was caught in an ambush with us. I’m not sure what happened to him; if he became their dinner, if he’s still lost, if he didn’t make it, I don’t know. I wasn’t in a position look for him.” the silver horse’s smooth hair, he said, “So I haven’t named him. If his life ends shortly, I want him to go without belonging to anyone. If I name him that means he’s mine. He should at least go freely.”

“Isn’t it sadder to die without a name?” Namjoo asked. “Even an animal should have a sense of belonging. Knowing his name can offer a sense of peace. If he dies, I can keep his name close to my heart. Like you keep Cheon and Yiji close to memory.”

The splash of water onto the shore made her skirt fly with the oncoming wind. The stars peeping through the aqua sky shone like beads on his left. Namjoo standing out like the brightest on his right.

She was…really profound.

ꞜꞜꞜꞜꞜ

On the way back Chanyeol took the reins from her. She hugged him. Arms entirely around his waist. Breathing in his male scent. Leaning into his back. Focusing on the thudding of his heart. How fast it was beating.

This Chanyeol warm and real.

It had indeed been a while since she’d held her boyfriend this close. Inhaling his cologne. Feeling his body close to hers. Indulging in the intimacy and affection pouring from his mere touch. So long since she had done something simple with him. Like sharing a meal. A chat in his car. Food tasting at the downtown alley where snacks were cheap and musicians played along the street. The ambience of love and life high above them.

The feelings Chanyeol had first ignited in her when they met. Water cascading down his topless body like a never-ending waterfall. That day she had noticed his muscular pecs. The faint lines of his abs. His drenched hair glued to his face in the most boyish way. How he had smiled baring to her those white teeth. Flashing the biggest grin, “Hi. I noticed you’re swimming alone.”

If he didn’t know his approach had screamed, I’m interested that day. Chanyeol probably didn’t know that she had seen him first when she entered the poolside.

But that was her Chanyeol who she had shoved aside. And this Chanyeol stirring her heart the same. The nostalgia of the similarities of both men was aching.

The sun had dipped far below the tree lines when they arrived where they first left. Barely hiding them in the dark of the night. Darker beneath the trees. Still the moon glowed and the sun not yet out of sight. There was enough light for her to recognize Minseok’s horse not far from them. Sun was currently grazing. Head bowed, mouth chewing.

“I’ll get off first.” Chanyeol suggested.

Namjoo scooted back to give him enough space to slide down. With his long legs he landed easily on the ground. She recognized the anticipation in his eyes when he turned toward her

She hesitated. Consciously aware that this man and her boyfriend were not of the same kind, but she was starting to have difficulty compartmentalizing that fact. Why feel this way if this wasn’t her Chanyeol?

Her body, her mind, her fingers recognizing that he was as familiar as the man she had coldly disposed in her search for success.

Namjoo’s eyes lowered to the hand waiting for her.

If this was the past was this man also her Chanyeol? A man in a different lifetime?

A spark shot through her when her fingers slid along his hand. The warmth of him enveloping her as she slid down. Letting him catch her for the second time. Feeling his arm touching her back to steady her on her feet. Partially bumping into him and touching his shoulder as she found balance.

Though the sun had nearly finished setting. Even if they were in the gloom of the trees. Despite the weak blinking stars, Namjoo saw his eyes very clearly. And she remembered the love she had so felt for Chanyeol spread through her.