one

Companion

P&C Garments Corporation Seoul Branch, 11.00

AUTHOR POV

Currently in some room in the fifth floor, the atmosphere was quite lively. All the workers were chitchatting happily with each other, throwing jokes and interesting talks that have zero relevancies with their job. You can say the room was quite noisy and really different with how the division usually picturized.

But, not everyone are enjoying the scene and not everyone joining the same vibe. Some of them drown into their computer either doing useless thing in the internet, or being the responsible one which is doing their tasks. And that’s what mina been doing since this morning.

Mina, Myoui Mina, is an intern who’s just graduate from a business major and currently finding job experiences for her future career. She’s an outstanding student back in her university era. Got a valedictory title due to her perfect score and also her activeness in both academic and non-academic activities. With those plus points she has, she become the one and only internee that got accepted in Business Development division, the only division that rarely accepted intern.

At first mina thought that this team will gave her a good working environment, remarkable experiences, and also opportunities for her to showcase her skills. But turns out.. it wasn’t like that at all…

It’s been a month for mina undergoing her internship and throughout the process, she’s been working like cows or worse.. like donkey.

She’s been doing any kind of work that her seniors asked her to do. From copying paperwork and deliver it either to the whole division staff or to other division. Or working on some reports that one of her senior asked her to do. Or she needs to prepare some necessity that needed for meetings like printing and copying the presentation, making sure the projector and such working well. She also doing some secretary works like typing things during the meetings and make summery over it. And she also did what the internee usually do.. making coffee or other drinks that the senior wants.

Clearly this is too overwhelming for mina to do it by herself. but mina is a timid person. She knows this isn’t the right work ethics yet she’s too afraid to speak up. she doesn’t want to cause any conflict and to avoid it, she just try to finish all the works that given to her desk. And well.. great thing mina is agile and could manage multi-tasking. So… So far, she never got complains and she even get used to the noisy work space that caused by her seniors.

Mina thought maybe this is because the team rarely accept internee so the workers here trying to test her. well.. it’s still her first month and she still have 2 months left. That’s what her positive and kind mind think of. Meanwhile her negative thoughts told her that she’s just being discriminated by the workers as they don’t really needed any internee in their division. those negative thoughts could come up because.. none of the workers ever invited mina to go to lunch together. Mina always eats alone and works alone..

Like what’s about to happen… now.

 

“Hey, I saw there’s a new kalguksu restaurant near our office. Shall we go there?” asked one of the workers to her seat mate

“Oh the one who have free side dish promo??”

“Yes! that one!”

“Hey hey hey! Don’t you guys dare to leave me if there’s promo okay.” said the other one from another desk.

“I’m going too! been craving kalguksu for weeks!” said different staff

“Okay okay. everyone let’s go to kalguksu restaurant!” said the staff who recommended the place. She actually mina’s supervisor, person who’s in charge of helping mina doing her things.. but well.. she end up making mina to finish all her works.

“But wait.. it’s not even lunch break yet.” Said one of the staff

“relax.. team leader still in taiwan. We still got weeks of freedom and she won’t know about this.”

“Okay then let’s goo!!”

 

the sound of rolling chairs moving was roaming throughout the room and one by one the staffs leaving the room. Meanwhile mina just focusing her eyes and mind on the screen, not minding whatever her seniors were doing. Until her supervisor suddenly called her and it made mina’s sight drifted away from the screen.

 

“Myoui-ssi. I almost forgot. We’re going to have a meeting with marketing team at 2 o’clock. please make the presentation, okay.”

“Uh.. which data that I should put on the presentation ma’am?”

“I already sent it to your email. Make sure you finish it before 2.” And there she goes. Left mina dumbfounded with the sudden tasks.

 

It’s always like this since the first day mina came to the office. She’ll left alone in the room without anyone accompanied her while she’s busy with things that her senior lend it to her. mina used to work by herself. it’s not really that hard but.. There’s part of her that realized this kind of treatment won’t develop her skill.. instead, all she’ll got is stress and if her mind can’t handle, it could be trauma too.. that one thing that mina want to avoid and it’s her greatest weakness.. she can’t really manage her stress that well..

 

“It’s okay mina.. you can do this. one at the time one at the time..”

 

Mina then did some stretching, cracking her neck and fingers, and after she felt a little bit light she minimized her current work to start a new one.

.

.

30 Minutes after that

Mina was half way finished as she already convert all the data that her senior sent to her into the slideshow and now, she just need to edit it. And it’s really the hardest job mina could do.

No, it’s not because mina wasn’t a creative person… its more like she’s not the type that could easily choose something. She has sooo many doubts even as simple as choosing font and the slideshows template. All she’s been doing now is changing font from one to another yet nothing was picked.

 

“Just choo—”

“KYAA!!!”

 

Mina squealed as hard as she ever did because of that sudden voice. The person who suddenly came also startled by Mina’s squeal and nearly spilled their coffee..

 

“wow! Wow! wow! Calm down Myoui! it’s just me.. Huh.. Thank god it didn’t spill..” said that person. And Once mina turned around to see that person, a sigh just came out from her.

“Hirai sunbae..”

“Sorry.. I uh didn’t meant to scare you. I knocked earlier but you seems too absorbed with your work and didn’t hear me.. like always. So.. I just barged in..”

 

Well actually Mina not always alone during pre-lunch hour like this. since the first week of her internship, this girl always come to her room and just accompanied mina. Her name is Hirai Momo. she never tell which team she’s in or even tell about her background. All mina knows about her is just this girl is her senior who apparently love to slack-off and wondering around the office even at the office hours.

 

“It’s okay sunbaenim.. but maybe next time you can knock on my desk first..”

“Okay noted… By the way.. you should choose this font. It’s better than the others.” Said Momo and that made Mina focus went back to her screen, eyes followed where Momo pointed the font style.

“Is this style appropriate for a presentation?”

“of course. why not? Besides, this slideshows just for team meeting right?” Mina nod her head and after momo finished sipping her coffee, she said

“Then that font is enough.. here.” Momo suddenly grabbed Mina’s mouse and did something with mina’s work

“If you pick this one, put the title in her and then.. tadaa~ okay right?” Momo moved back and let mina went near to see the result.

 

Mina then examined the whole slideshow after the font being changed. From slide one until the last slide, she carefully checked every detail whether it matched with the template or not and make sure it’s presentable. Meanwhile Momo just waited for mina to finish checking everything. If mina was serious and focused on the screen, momo just casually hopped on the left side of mina’s L shaped desk and drink her coffee.

 

“Not bad right?” asked Momo

“Yes.. sunbaenim. Thank you very much for your help.”

“It’s nothing. So.. you’re done now?”

“No.. I still have another report that I haven’t finish.” As Mina said that, she already opened the tab that she minimized earlier and continue her work.

“Why you’re doing so many things while the other can even eat lunch early?”

 

Oh yes.. momo knew that all the staffs always left mina alone for an early lunch since momo herself always see mina alone in her room every time she came here to see her/

 

“Maybe they work faster than me.” Mina said that but her eyes still focused on the screen and fingers danced fast on the keyboard.

“or they being lazy and dump all their work to you.”

 

Momo didn’t get any responds after she said that. just a fuzzy sound of CPU and also the loud noise of Mina’s keyboard. It’s either Mina too engrossed to her work, or she just want to avoid that topic.

 

“You know you can report this to your division leader right?” again no responds.

“although you’re just an intern, but you still have your own rights and it’s bind by this company rule.. you can ju—“

“Sunbaenim.” Mina suddenly turned around, facing momo and cut her words.

“With all due respect, I’m thankful for your concern.. but really. I’m okay with this. it’s hard, yes.. but I don’t mind with all these mistreatment and unprofessionalism that those people did to me. I still somehow can manage to finish everything they told me to do. So please, respect my decision and stop telling me to fight them back.”

 

Momo decided to drop the talk and didn’t push anything she wanted mina to do. she knows that no matter how hard she tried to make mina brave enough to say no to her seniors, it won’t happened. So she just diverted it to another topic that actually quite surprising for her.

 

“why you can snapped at me but can’t do it with your senior… you are scary..” what momo said just hit mina and she realized what she said to momo and quickly bowed at her

“Oh my god! I-I’m sorry sunbaenim..i didn’t mean to..”

“no no.. it’s great. at least I know you’re not that soft.. now please continue your work.” Mina then nod her head and went back to her computer again, drown in her works. Meanwhile, momo just trying to keep herself busy until mina done with her works..

 

It’s a major lie if mina said she’s fed up with every single thing her senior did to her. she felt used, unwanted, she felt lost, and most importantly… she felt unappreciated and that’s the thing that mina tried so hard to avoid. She admit her work is great.. and she proud of it. but every time she gave her seniors and supervisor all the works she’s done, she slightly hoped there’s at least some gratitude or even compliment over her work. But no.. all she got is always an unsincere thank you and another new tasks.

Mina knows she’s not supposed to be occupied with such thought. So she hid it and just continue her work. Focus on that and make sure she did well and later, she’ll appreciate it herself.

.

.

Throughout the time mina busy with her work, momo could manage to entertain herself without needing mina’s help. she used to spent time alone and waiting for mina like this, is not really a big deal. besides.. slacking off alone is what she usually do so.. yea it’s not a big deal.

Mina always thinks that momo is a great distraction. Not in a bad meaning.. but she’s a distraction that mina always needs. Momo didn’t really bothered mina. even when mina was engrossed into her work, momo just enjoying her time alone, doing funny things by her own.

Sometimes mina could see that momo playing around with the spinning chair and spun hard until she stopped herself due to dizziness. Or how she going up and down with the chair height controller and stopped by herself after she realized she did something stupid on her own.. even now, they way momo just sat on the empty desk in front of mina with her arm supporting her head while playing with her id card, its still amusing for mina to see and of course mina couldn’t help but not to giggle at everything momo did.

 

“Why you suddenly laughing?”

“sunbae surely know how to spent time alone..”

“hahaha… you saw that? I’m sorry if I disturbed you.”

“no no… it’s okay..” said mina

 

“Can I ask you something, sunbae?” asked mina as she broke the silence.

“sure..”

“Why I always see you roaming around the office like you.. never have any task?”

“hey I’m not ditching my works okay. I’m still doing my work.”

“really?”

“okay fine. I slack-off many times and basically my leader always looking for me. but I finish my work with my own pace and with my own way. the result? Well.. it’s never disappointing so.. since I’m bored I always roaming around the office.”

 

Although momo always so laid back like this, but mina knows that momo aren’t the type who doesn’t do their job properly. She could think like that because everytime momo came here and saw mina trying to finish her work, sometimes momo could gave her some advices and critics upon her works. So yea.. forget the fact that momo always do funny and weird thing alone, but mina does admire her.

 

“are you done yet?” asked momo

“no.. still has few thing left to do..”

“okay then… after you finished, I’ll treat you a lunch.”

“eh? thank you but you don’t have to sunbae..”

“It’s a reward for your hardwork. That needs to be appreciates. Right?”

“Y-you don’t have to.. sunbaenim. I’m just doing my job.”

“I know.. I know.” said momo but then she suddenly stretched her hand and carrased mina’s head and then said,

“But you did so well with your job.”

 

With that words, with that gesture, with that warm smile.. at that exact moment, mina knew that hirai momo—the lazy senior who love to slack off, is the only person in this office that could filled filled the emptiness that mina needs.

 

“So.. we’re going.. right?” asked momo one more time.

“s-sure..”

“good. now now just focus on finishing that. I won’t do weird things that could distracted you.”

.

.

 

An hour after that

When momo said she would treat mina a lunch, mina never imagine that momo actually brought her to a convenient store and eat some instant ramyeon there. they clearly ate on the table that the convenient store provide outside. Well.. mina couldn’t protest tho.. when momo asked her what kind of food mina wants to eat, she told momo that she’s fine with anything.. and since momo craving for ramyeon, here they are..

But mina used to this kind of unexpected things whenever she’s with momo. it’s been a month since mina met momo. rather than they met in a normal circumstances, the first time they met was when mina wanted to prepare a meeting and there she saw momo secretly sleeping on the corner of the room..

The second time, she saw momo secretly eating some snack beside the photocopy machine.

And the first time they finally talk with each other, is when they met in the roof top during lunch break. Since then, momo been accompanied mina’s lunch break or maybe pre-lunch break like what she did earlier.

 

“What’s on your mind?” momo asked between her slurping fiesta.

“ne? ah.. nothing.. just suddenly remember how the first time I saw sunbae..”

“the time you saw me slept on the meeting room??” mina let out a short giggle and nod

“oh god.. please.. I was lacking of sleep back then all due to working till late night..”

“but why you chose meeting room?”

“because it’s sound proof, comfortable, and has the best air-conditioner.. ugh now now stop remembering that dark past. You must eat before the ramyeon gets cold.”

 

Mina then split her chopstick and said, “jal meokkesseumnida” with her tiny voice before she devoured the steamy ramyeon. Well.. she ate it in a more graceful way and less noise.. the opposite way of momo. but sometimes mina finds momo’s way of eating is appetizing rather than disturbing. Like if she saw momo eat something, it makes her carved for it so she’s not really bothered with the way momo usually eats..

 

“Say, do you have any plan after your internship finish?” asked momo

“I’m still trying to develop myself more so maybe I’ll search for another internship..” said mina

“so.. you’re not considering applied as permanent employee here?”

“I don’t know...i haven’t think about it yet..”

“well.. Such a bummer. I really wish you could be here permanently.”

“a-and why is that?”

“I like you.” and that straightforward answer made mina choke on her spicy ramyeon and it’s not really a great feeling.

 

“Oh god! Here here.. drink some water.” Said Momo as she gave the coughing mess mina something to drink.

 

Mina’s face was soo red and her heart beating so fast. She didn’t know rather it because of the severe coughing, or the spiciness, or embarrassment due to what momo just said. but mina decide to put the blame on everything..

 

“Better?” mina nod her head. although felt a little bit better after the drink, her heart still a mess.

“I’m sorry. I startled you huh?”

“a-a little..” mina fanning herself with her hand due to sudden heat she felt. It’s weird because currently spring breeze is smoothly blowing around them.

“Sorry for that.. What actually I’m trying to say is I like your company.”

“oh..” mina let out that oh but momo couldn’t hear it.

 

“you see… I usually slacking off, roaming around the office because I’m bored and the staff in my division mainly bunch of lame people.. so after I met you, I’m less bored and less lonely now.”

“w-well.. me too.. i-uh.. I always feel glad whenever I saw sunbae came to my room.”

“oh? I didn’t bothered you? really??”

“maybe a little bit?” the bright smile momo had quickly turned pouty

“b-but it’s a good distraction..”

“I won’t stop coming to your room then~”

 

At first when momo said that she didn’t mean that she like mina in that kind of ‘like’, mina was slightly disappointed. But after hearing that her presence could make momo feel less lonely, somehow she feel happy about it and she secretly let out a smile while hiding it under a bite of ramyeon.

 

“But I think you should consider on taking a permanent job here. you could get a high position with those quality you have.” When mina thought the topic was finished, momo brought it back.

“ne? my.. quality?”

“come on… it’s been a month for me to bother your days. Of course I know and I could see how you work. You can be such an important person here.”

“thank you so much for your compliment, sunbaenim.” Said mina while bowed. Although she didn’t showed it, but deep inside her heart she smile so widely.

 

“You haven’t met your division leader right?” mina nod her head

“Believe me, your leader will definitely hired you once she came back from Taiwan.”

“how could you know that?”

“She’s the one who accept you in her division right? I bet she saw something in you and if she knew how you really work, you’ll be her favorite.”

“r-really?” momo nod her head and after that, again.. she stretched her hand but this time she raffled mina’s head and said,

“hang in there, Myoui.”

 

*THUMP THUMP*

 

Mina knows she’s not supposed to have a feelings towards her senior like this. it’s soo unprofessional. But it’s quite hard not to fall for someone as unpredictable and as unique as momo..

.

.

.

Few Weeks after that

If things usually went okay for the past days, today is an exception. Mina blame it to exhaustion and also lack of sleep she had that made her way more sensitive than usual. She was feeling so terrible today and it got worsen by her senior antics.

 

So, her senior gave her some ‘homework’ that she wanted mina to make some business plan. Mina think it was just for internal research and not going to be used anywhere. But she still work as hard as she could, searched every potential P&C company has and with the amount of knowledge she got during university year, and her experience on winning a business plan making competition, she somehow manage to create some business plan that quite well made for a fresh grad.

But turns out, the business plan that she made needs to be presented to the BoD. Apparently during the meeting, her supervisor and the rest of the team were bombarded with tons of question regarding the plan. They got so many side notes about it and tons of comment about it too. and after the meeting was done, her supervisor came to her desk and insulted every work she did. Telling her it was awful and made the supervisor look hideous in front of the Board of directors.

It was soo embarrassing for mina to be scolded in the middle of people especially how her supervisor threw a pile of paper that consisted of things they need to revise and blamed mina for the bad result.

Mina couldn’t do anything or say anything to defend herself. she knows this is not her fault. but again.. the only thing mina could do is hanging her head down and bowed some apologize countless time to her supervisor.

 

What made mina more and more anxious is the fact that her supervisor threated her that she would fire her, or even made bad reports about her work. It just gobbled mina’s mind and throughout the day, she can’t really concentrate on doing things.

But thank god lunch break came fast so mina got the peace she needed the most. Since the division room already empty, Mina decided to go out too. but not outside the office. Instead, she went upstairs to the place where she can calmly ease her mind.


Rooftop

When mina arrived there, like usual there’s no one there. well it’s quite understandable because this rooftop, ain’t the same like the other rooftop that have beautiful garden and such. It’s just ordinary rooftop with aircon outdoor on the corner of it. not really a great place to hang out. but that’s the reason why mina likes here.. no one will come here so she can ease her mind easily.

It’s completely a lie if mina said she’s not in urge to cry. She really want to cry but somehow the tears ain’t coming out. she’s mad, she’s sad, she’s disappointed, she’s ashamed, she’s scared everything mixed together and she can’t control her mind. But she didn’t know why she can’t cry..

Maybe because she’s been pretending everything is okay. maybe because she’s been used to every single hardship that her seniors gave her. or maybe those feelings were too much for her to handle and somehow it turned off the switch.

Intead of trying to cry, mina decided to calm herself and tried to forget those awful things. today, the sky was blue and beautiful.. and the spring breeze that shallowly soothing, it’s really perfect to relax her mind.

Mina just tilted her head up, let the breeze hit her face and enjoyed it with both her eyes closed. The picture of the way people staring at her earlier, the way her supervisor yelled and insulted her.. everything still crystal clear inside her head. but again.. the spring breeze calmed her.

She thought maybe this time she should pretend that everything is okay again, hide the fact that she’s not bothered by anything happened here and continue the remaining internship days in this company like usual. She’s ready to use that mask she always have. Ready to pretend again.. but soon after she heard that voice,

 

“O? look who’s here~”

 

The voice that belongs to someone with such a warm and sincere smile… Things suddenly didn’t go as she expected to be.

 

“Hi.. sunbaenim..”

 

The smile on that person’s face slowly faded out right after mina greeted her back. it changed to be a really worried look.

 

“Something bad happened, huh?”

“N-not really..”

 

The person, momo, she walked near mina and suddenly touched mina’s cheek and showed mina a tint of tears on her thumb. Seeing that, mina hurriedly rubbed her eyes, trying to check whether she’s really cry or not.

 

“w-why.. why my eyes are wet?” Mina kept trying to wipe those tears but it won’t stop. it keep coming down and mina’s voice grew shaky.

“Why this keep coming down? haha.. I don’t understand why am I crying for? I… I shouldn’t be like this.. I—“ the sudden hugged completely zipped mina’s mouth.

“You can cry.. no need to hold it.”

 

With that words, with that hug, all the tears that mina held burst out heavily. She’s a sobbing mess under momo’s hug. she cried like a baby under her hug but momo just stay there, hugged her and make sure mina let out everything that she’s been holding..

.

.

Few minutes after mina done crying, both of them sat side by side while eating bento that momo bought for them. buzzing sound of AC outdoor is the only thing that could be heard now. momo focused eating, meanwhile mina still hung her head low. But this time, rather than sadness, it more like embarrassment due to crying out loud like that in front of momo.

 

“Don’t be shy. Crying is not a sin.” Said momo

“but still.. I’m a little bit embarrassed for crying like that to you..”

“well no need to be embarrassed… But if I could say, I think the one who supposed to cry and even feel ashamed about their self, is not you.” that statement of course shocked mina

“What do you mean by that, sunbae?”

“Those lazy airheads that you called supervisor and seniors.” Momo paused a bit as she tried to take another bite and munched for few second before she swallowed it.

 

“I was there, in the meeting. It was an opened meeting since few divisions also presented their plan. But those people… Aigoo.. such an embarrassment.” Mina’s head slowly hung low again as she felt embbarssed that her business plan was ruining everything.

 “Was the business plan that bad?” but to mina surprised, momo shook her head

“No no no. The business plan was great. It was well made and actually has great potential.. But the problem is, them.”

“w-why? what’s wrong with them?”

“They don’t even understand what they’re presenting. and everyone in that meeting knew that they weren’t the one who made it.”

 

Mina’s heart felt at ease when she heard that. at least she knew now that the business plan that she made wasn’t really the problem. Her research and analyzing was not in vain.. but somehow she still confused because her supervisor acted like everything was because her business plan and she put the blame on her..

“but.. I heard that they bombarded by questions and critics?”

“yes. but not for the business plan. but for their lack of creativity, unprofessionalism, and laziness.”

“I thought… I thought the business plan was awful so the whole directors criticized them?”

“Nope. Everyone was satisfied with the plan. your, business plan.”

 

Mina was shocked when momo said that. again, she didn’t even expect anyone will recognized that the business plan wasn’t her seniors works moreover, she didn’t expect anyone to know that she’s the one who made the plan. not even momo.

 

“No need to be that surprised. We spent many times together so of course sometimes I took a glance over things you were working on..”

“so.. my business plan was.. fine?”

“Mhm. Judging by your responds.. I guess your senior insulted your work huh?” mina then gave a meek nod

“they’re just jealous that an intern like you got acknowledge by all the upperclassmen. Everyone was impressed with the plan that you made. You really did a wonderful job there.”

 

A smile now carved on mina’s face as she glad hearing that words from momo. the fact that many people satisfied with her work, made mina forget the feeling of being ashamed, and mad to herself. now she feel proud on herself and happiness started filling her heart.

 

“hey uh.. myoui.” called momo

“you see.. we’ve been hanging out almost everyday.. can we.. at least drop the formalities? You can stop calling me sunbaenim and maybe.. I can call you by your name?”

“Well.. uh.. sure.. so i.. should I call you hirai-ssi, momo-ssi or..”

“eonni. momo eonni.”

 

mina then nod her head. although she somehow shy upon that, but after everything momo did to her, calling her eonni like this erased the distance and wall that been separating the two. Of course this made mina feel more and more close to momo and she like it.

 

“Hey mina.”

“y-yes.. e-eonni?”

“If those idiots did something terrible and make you cry like this again, tell me okay? I’ll help you.”

“t-thank you eonni.. for everything..”

 

Mina had an awful half-day. But somehow momo could fix it just for few minutes being together with her.



AUTHOR NOTES:

HI THERE! apparently today, 23 august 2019.. is the 3rd year I’ve been a writer in AFF! Oyee!!

Oh well.. HAHAHA some of you maybe already know that I want to write this MiMo office au.. although it’s different plot, but it still the office au we all wanted. (I wanted)

But to be honest I don’t know what I’m writing here.. I changed the plot soooo many times and end up having 3 mimo office au with different plot. Maybe I’ll upload all of them if my productivity went crazy. An welp.. it ain’t an oneshot so please expect for the next chapter!!


Please kindly left your thoughts on the comment bar in order for me to improve myself, or if you like it you can upvote and.. don’t forget to subscribe so you can get notified once the next chapter up!!



Thank you and love you guys ^^




Kamsahamnida~