Seventeen.

Lifeline
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-One month later. Kwon's Bungalow- 

 

"Minjun ah, come here," Jiyong motioned his son over. 

 

"Uhm?" Minjun took a seat opposite him obediently. 

 

"There's something that appa want to tell you..." Jiyong was struggling with his words, thinking of ways to put the news across to his son. 

 

"Is it about umma?" Minjun asked softly. "Is umma not coming back anymore...?" 

 

Jiyong was shocked at his understanding that it took him awhile to recover as he nodded. "Y-Yes... Umma... Umma and appa... We decided to be apart..." 

 

"So umma is not going to stay with us anymore?" 

 

"Yes. Minjun will stay with appa. Appa will take care of Minjun, Halmeoni Lee will help appa too." 

 

Minjun fell silent as he had his head hung down. Jiyong, who thought he was going to have an outburst, was all geared to be a nice and understanding father to tolerate his tantrums. However, that outburst never came. 

 

After awhile, Minjun looked up, coming face to face with his father with a serious look. "If appa is happy, then Minjun will be happy too." 

 

Jiyong's heart melted. He stood up and pulled Minjun in for a tight hug. Minjun stood there quietly, allowing his father to hug him and be in his own thoughts. To be honest, Jiyong hadn't expected this at all. Even though Jooyeon's and Minjun's relationship wasn't that strong, he would have expected Minjun to at least kick up a fuss for a few hours since after all, she's his mother and no kid would want to be separated from their mothers no matter how close or distant they were. Even if he had acted so maturely like an adult, he hadn't expected Minjun to say such a sentence. It made him wonder what's going on in his little mind and what had he seen to let him make such a comment? Did he witnessed Jooyeon and him quarrelling? Or did he saw him drinking in his study room at night, vexed after realising Jooyeon was late in returning home yet again? 

 

"Are you okay big guy?" after composing himself, Jiyong sniffed and looked Minjun in the eye.

 

"Yes. I'm a big boy now," Minjun bit his lips and answered bravely. 

 

"If you're unhappy, you must always let appa know. You hear me?" Jiyong knelt down to Minjun's eye level. 

 

Minjun nodded. 

 

"Alright. Go to bed now. I love you," Jiyong ruffled his son's hair affectionately.

 

"I love you too, appa," Minjun whispered softly and gave a kiss on Jiyong's cheeks. 

 

Minjun stood short for a moment at the stairs and decided to run back to Jiyong. 

 

"Appa, does that mean that I'll never see umma anymore...?" He asked timidly. 

 

That innocent expression... Jiyong couldn't bear to break it. 

 

"Of course not. If you want, you'll definitely get to see her again," Jiyong gave a smile. "Now, go to bed. You've school tomorrow."

 

"Neh!" Minjun seemed to perk up a little after hearing the news and ran back up the stairs. "Goodnight appa!"

 

Sometimes, kids really amaze him.

 

Especially his son.

 

✢✢✢✢✢

-The next day. Lawyer's Office- 

 

"When both parties sign on this paper, your divorcement will be recognised by the court and your marriage will be nullified." 

 

Jiyong looked at the papers in front of him and still, it felt rather surreal. After years, they had came down to divorcement after all. Recalling those wonderful times they had as a couple, he was really astounded by how they could reach such a terrible state between them that're irreversible. For the past one month, it had been hell. Jooyeon certainly did not make this divorcement a peaceful one and there were a lot of negotiations going back and forth. He had also been struggling to explain to Minjun and to avoid his eyes whenever he asked about her whereabouts until yesterday night when he finally felt that it was the appropriate time to let him know. It provided him a lot of comfort and courage after breaking the news to Minjun and witnessing his expression. It wasn't the best but he could definitely find solace in it. 

 

Besides Minjun, Youngbae's and Yuri's wedding provided much happiness to Jiyong. It was a joyous occasion and definitely even happier when he got to hang out with the couple like the past. Yuri had forgiven him and most importantly, she had brought Yoona along. Ever since the delivery of the sneakers to her house, Jiyong had been keeping contact with Yoona. Of course, using the wedding was the perfect excuse. Through this past one month, he was mending his relationship with Yoona. It was a slow process but he enjoyed it. Like the past, Yoona and him clicked, be it in terms of ideas or beliefs. With Jooyeon's unreasonable behaviour on the other end of the spectrum as comparison, Jiyong just couldn't wait to end the marriage once and for all.

 

Both parties penned down their signature on the document and that was done. 

 

"I heard that Im Yoona is back," Jooyeon spat as she put on her sunglasses.

 

"She's the one that saved Minjun. She donated her kidney to him," Jiyong answered evenly.

 

"Whatever. I always knew you'd a thing for her anyway. That explains the fast deal on this divorcement, isn't it?" Jooyeon blew her fingers and answered nonchalantly. "Just as you know, as stated in the agreement, you've to keep mum on this divorcement." 

 

"That doesn't mean I can't date, can I?" Jiyong smirked at the false accusations, but couldn't be bothered to explain himself. "I only agreed on not disclosing. I didn't agree on continuing this whole lovey-dovey happy marriage charade."

 

"You-!" Jooyeon was agitated for a moment but decided against it. She grabbed her bag and stood up, smirking. "I'll see how happy you'd be with this little girl, Kwon Jiyong." 

 

Jiyong watched her walked away and a sudden voice appeared in his mind. 

 

..."Appa, does that mean that I'll never see umma anymore...?" 

 

"Jooyeon," Jiyong called out. 

 

Jooyeon stopped in her steps, but did not turn back to look at him. 

 

"If you're free, visit Minjun," Jiyong spoke up, much to his reluctance. "The kid is innocent. He misses you." 

 

Jooyeon made no comment nor reply and walked off after freezing for a few seconds.

 

6 years of marriage, a decade worth of love and courtship came to an end in the hot Summer afterall. 

 

✢✢✢✢✢

-Two months later. The Cathedral Garden- 

 

What a wonderful day for an outdoor wedding: warm with pleasant breeze. It was an autumn wedding, the late September sun peeking out to provide warmth and brightness to commemorate this joyous occasion. Sweet strains of classical music drifted through the crowd and on either side of the aisle, guests sat in whi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter