Finally

Faking It (Until We're Not)

.

 

He didn't think it'd be this soon.

 

Hakyeon had messaged him the next day, asking if he was free in the evening. Which was fine, since he'd been given a well-deserved day off from his employer at the restaurant. But also, not. Because. Too soon.

 

He wasn't confident at all in confessing tonight. What was he going to do? What wㅡ

 

A vibration on his dresser startled him. Unlocking his phone, he noticed he had a message from his co-worker, Hyuk.

 

 

 

that brat (hyuk):
hyung, did you find cute guy's name yet?
i couldnt stop thinking about him since i saw him

 

me:
its not even been 24 hrs wth
his name is lee jaehwan
one of hakyeons best friends
happy now?

 

 

 

And he was about to type another message to Hakyeon, responding to his nervous rambling, when his phone vibrated frantically.

 

 

 

that brat (hyuk):
OMG
NO ING WAY
HOW DID I MISS THAT

 

me:
miss what?
also what are you being so loud for?

 

that brat (hyuk):
hyUNG
DONT YOU KNOW WHO LEE JAEHWAN IS???

 

me:
no why who is he?

 

 

 

Although the name did sound familiar, now that he thought about it…

 

 

 

that brat (hyuk):
ONLY THE CEO OF THE BIGGEST MUSIC COMPANY FANTASY ENTERTAINMENT
HOLT I CANT BEKUEVE HAKYEON KNOWS LEE JAEHWAN OMG

 

 

 

Oh. That’s one of the companies he sent his work to just last week.

 

 

 

me:
hakyeon hyung*
and honestly, im not surprised Hakyeon seems to know everyone

 

that brat (hyuk):
hyung

 

 

 

And he didn’t even have to wait for the younger to say it. He knew what he was going to ask. Honestly, this brat was so predictable.

 

 

 

me:
no

 

that brat (hyuk):
you didn't even kno what i was gonna say :((((

 

me:
im not going to introduce u to him

 

that brat (hyuk):
ok so you do kno
bUT

 

me:
but nothing, u brat
if u want to know him then do it urself

 

that brat (hyuk):
But idek how to find him :'(

 

me:
his company?

 

that brat (hyuk):
are you crazy??
do u kno how tight the security is for that building
id be kicked out for sure
cant u ask Hakyeon hyung to introduce me? ;^;

 

me:
i cant keep asking him for more favours

 

 

 

And he locked his phone, placing it down on the table, choosing to ignore Hyuk’s messages. For now.

 

He had other, more important things to worry about right now. Like how the hell he was going to confess when he didn’t have even a bit of confidence.

 

Would Hakyeon even agree to date someone like him? Someone who was working two part-time jobs to make ends meet. Someone who avoided talking to people unless necessary. Someone who…just wasn’t good enough. He wasn’t good enough for Hakyeon.

 

Hakyeon deserved better, didn’t he?

 

And he was far from it.

 

 

 

It was almost 5, and he was dreading it. He still hadn't decided how he was going to confess to Hakyeon. Hopefully, the chrysanthemum would help a little, he thought, looking down at the single flower in his hand. He'd chosen a pink one, thinking the colour would suit him well.

 

Unknowingly, the corner of his lips curved upwards, a hint of red showing on his cheeks, thinking of how the other would react once he gave the flower to him. But the buzz of his phone was quick to pull him out of his thoughts of Hakyeon (as much as it disappointed him).

 

He picked it up and answered the call with a smile when he saw that it was Hakyeon himself.

 

"I'm outside, Taekwoonie," the other's honey-like voice sounded through his ears, causing his cheeks to burn up in response. God, what was happening to him? "...aren't you coming down?"

 

. He had to stop getting dazed. And blushing like that, he thought as he noticed his reflection on the mirror hung up on the wall near the door.

 

With his free hand, he cupped his cheek, feeling the heat get worse. Then fanned himself, trying to get himself to cool down before he went down.

 

"Taekwoon-ah?"

 

"Huhㅡohㅡyeah, I'mㅡI'm coming down," he stuttered and cut the call without allowing the other to respond. He needed to calm down. Hakyeon was going to think something was wrong with him if this continued. "Ah, calm down, me..." He scolded himself, still cupping his cheeks.

 

 

 

When he reached the ground floor, he was almost at a loss for words because for a moment, he hadn't been able to recognise Hakyeon.

 

The previously grey hair was now a light brown.

 

When had he dyed his hair? He thought, before his eyes scanned down the other's attire. Hakyeon was wearing a pure white turtleneck with a black coat resting on his shoulders, sporting a pair of jet-black jeans.

 

Had he always been this attractive?

 

He looked even better in casual wear. It was unfair.

 

"I'm still waiting for that picture, you know," Hakyeon remarked, smirking smugly. Taekwoon looked away, no doubt blushing from the neck up. He hated how much this man was affecting him.

 

"What picture?" He scoffed, trying to act oblivious. Hakyeon merely released a breath of laughter, crossing his arms over his chest.

 

"Come on, you're still going to act like you don't find me hot?" Taekwoon snorted in response. Hakyeon sighed in exasperation at that. "Fine, you tsundere, let's go. Dad will probably start wondering where we are if we don't get home in like, ten minutes. Come on." And the brunette opened the passenger door, gesturing for him to get in.

 

He held the flower a little tighter behind his hand as he found himself hesitating. When Hakyeon stared in confusion, he abruptly held the chrysanthemum out, head turning away from the brunet because he was sure he was blushing from the neck up. “For you.”

 

“Oh.” Was all that he heard from the other male. And there was a moment of silence that blanketed them, neither knowing what to say. Then, “thanks.”

 

Turning his attention back to the brunet, he felt his breath hitch as he noticed how softly Hakyeon’s gaze was on him. He could clearly see the flush of red gracing his sun-kissed skin, a soft smile on display, and it made his heart burst because how cute.

 

"N-no problem," he stuttered before hurriedly getting inside and allowing Hakyeon to shut the door for him. Then watched as Hakyeon walked round to the other side and getting inside, fastening his seatbelt right away. Taekwoon did the same, looking ahead. Refusing to look at the brunet because it definitely wasn’t normal how fast his heart was beating right then.

 

Hakyeon didn’t say a word. Simply started the car and drove.

 

 

 

The drive to Hakyeon's house was mostly spent in silence, save for the radio playing (which Hakyeon has midway through).

 

He could tell Hakyeon was nervous though, considering the constant tapping on the steering wheel whenever they stopped at a red light.

 

Of course, he was nervous, too. Still unsure as to how he'd be confessing. Or whether he should at all. Hakyeon may not even want him, despite all the flirting the past few weeks.

 

But glancing back at the brunet, he considered that to be the least of his worries. Placing a hand on the other's, he hesitantly squeezed it lightly, hoping that it would let Hakyeon know that he was going to be okay.

 

He noticed Hakyeon visibly relax at the touch and turn to him, sending a small apologetic yet grateful smile. "Sorry, I’m just…"

 

"Nervous. I get it. But there’s nothing to worry about, okay? Just relax, Hakyeon. I'm sure your father will understand." He tried to assure, squeezing the other’s hand again.

 

"I hope so," Hakyeon said, releasing a long breath. And Taekwoon didn't let go of the other's hand until they reached the brunet’s house. It somehow felt so right and easy that he wanted to confess right that moment, despite his fear of rejection at the back of his mind.  

 

But he didn't. He was sure he'd only end up making an idiot of himself.

 

Not that it wouldn't happen eventually when he did tell Hakyeon. But he'll get to that bridge when it came.

 

For now, he would just stay beside Hakyeon until he told his father about their pretence.

 

 

 

Once they reached, Taekwoon got out of the car, patting his clothes down to ensure there weren’t any crinkles. He felt embarrassed at the attire he’d chosen; a plain white t-shirt and black hoodie, and blue ripped jeans. Then he looked at Hakyeon. Closed his eyes tightly. Wondering whether he was really ready for this.

 

But he didn’t have a chance to fret further because Hakyeon was beside him now. The brunet took a hold of his arm, causing him to turn his attention to Hakyeon. He smiled softly, gesturing him to look ahead. Complying, he looked ahead to find the house where the brunet resided, eyes widening in awe.

 

The white and blue painted exterior, balconies at the floor above, windows that spanned from floor to ceiling, and the large front garden that was adorned with flowers of every kind you could possibly think of. This was truly a chaebol’s house.

 

"It's pretty, isn't it?" Hakyeon stated, a proud smile gracing his face. "My mother and I have been tending to it since I was little."

 

"It's…amazing, Hakyeon." He breathed out as he took in his surroundings. He spotted some chrysanthemums in the midst, making him smile.

 

"Right? I think so, too! Why don't I give you a tour of the garden?" The brunet was quick to grab onto his arm and pull him along, but Taekwoon was quicker to pull him back. He stopped them in their tracks immediately, knowing exactly what the other was trying to do.

 

"Hakyeon," he said firmly, brows raised, "you can give me a tour later. It's important that you talk to your father first." He reasoned, causing the brunet's head to hang down. Sighing, he turned to face the other, grasping Hakyeon's hand gently and squeezing it. "You're going to be fine. Okay?" This time, he boldly reached up and cupped Hakyeon's cheeks, pulling his attention back to him.

 

Hakyeon looked at him in surprise, but nodded, a small smile on his face now. He returned the smile and let go, feeling a little embarrassed by his own gesture of affection. He let his hands hang by his sides and was about to walk when a warm hand slipped into his own, squeezing it gently.

 

"Thanks, Woon-ah," and it was quiet, but he’d heard it loud and clear. He felt his face burning up but chose to ignore it, despite Hakyeon's teasing chuckle. "You're blushing."

 

"Shut up, so are you," he countered snippily, turning away from the other's gaze. It only made Hakyeon giggle more, and god, it sounded so beautiful. He wanted to hear it again. And again after that. And again aftㅡ

 

Hakyeon led them inside, and he would lying if he said the house didn't feel slightly intimidating. Only because it was so spacious. Too big for a family of three. But he decided not to dwell on it.

 

Now was not the time.

 

"I've been waiting for you, son," Mr. Cha spoke from his seat on the dark leather sofa. The elder turned to him, and he visibly gulped before bowing. "Taekwoon-ah, it's good to see you, son! I hope you've been well." He nodded, unable to find his voice.

 

"Where's mum?" Hakyeon asked, eyes scanning the space.

 

"She's gone out. Won't be home for an hour or so." The elder replied before gesturing to the sofa in front of him. "You said you wanted to tell me something?" They sat themselves down opposite the elder, hands still intertwined.

 

Hakyeon looked at him first, looking worried about speaking the truth. Taekwoon nodded in encouragement, his thumb rubbing the other's knuckles in assurance.

 

"I wanted to tell you that…thatㅡ” he watched as Hakyeon took a deep breath and spoke, “iliedtoyouabouttaekwoonbeingmyfianceandthathewasanupcomingmodelwe'renotactuallyengagedandhe'snotamodelandㅡ"

 

"I know." This caused both of their heads to whip up in shock. And worry. He felt Hakyeon squeeze his hand tighter, and he found himself returning the gesture unconsciously. "I asked my secretary to do a background check on Taekwoon – I do apologise – after you introduced me to him." He turned to Taekwoon, smiling sheepishly. "Please don't take this the wrong way, son. I just wanted to make sure you weren't a danger to our Hakyeon. I do this to all of his partners, if that's any reassurance." The elder explained before looking back to his son, who looked down in embarrassment.

 

"I'm sorry I lied." Hakyeon said. "It's justㅡ!" Sighing, "I just wanted you to stop setting me up with your friends' sons and daughter. So, I thought that if I told you that I already had someone, you would stop. But I know I should've just talked to you. I'm sorry, dad…" He continued to caress the back of Hakyeon’s hand as he confessed, assuring him that he was there.

 

"You should've told me, Hakyeon-ah. I would've back off if you had asked me to. And," the elder sighed, "I only tried to set up those blind dates for you because I wanted you to be happy, because I wanted you to settle down. I wanted to find someone who would take care of you in our stead. Since it’s only a matter of time before I’m gone. The same goes for your mother.”

 

"Don't say that, you're not going anywhere," Hakyeon countered, his voice stumbling at the words.

 

"Hakyeon-ah, listen to me. I just need to be sure that you're going to be fine if we’re ever gone. That there's going to be someone who's going to look after you and love you unconditionally. But…I guess I did get a little carried away with those blind dates." The elder admitted, chuckling.

 

"I understand your concern, dad – but really, I'm fine. I am going to be in the future as well. Because I have you and mum and all my friends. I'm happy, dad. I promise." Hakyeon stated firmly. Taekwoon smiled as he listened.

 

"Then, I guess it's better I stop those blind date, huh?" The elder asked, chuckling. Hakyeon nodded, smiling. He directed his attention to Taekwoon, still smiling. "And thank you, Taekwoon-ah, for taking care of my son. And I'm sorry if he's caused you any trouble." Causing Hakyeon to protest indignantly.

 

"Ah, there's no need to apologise, sir. I've enjoyed his company and," he glanced at Hakyeon, who looked back at him in confusion.

 

Here goes nothing.

 

"I want to continue taking care of your son, if that is alright with you."

 

The elder's brows raised, looking pleasantly surprised by this. Then chuckled, "I'd be more than happy if you would, son. Thank you."

 

He turned to look at Hakyeon, who was staring at him in shock. Swallowing as he felt his face burning up, before turning back to Hakyeon's father.

 

"Uh, is it alright if I, mm, borrow your son for a moment, sir?" He asked, hand still grasping Hakyeon's hand tightly.

 

"Of course! By all means, he's all yours," Mr. Cha remarked, causing Hakyeon to exclaim in embarrassment. This only made the eldest to laugh at his son's expense, who pouted at the teasing. "Well, you want to talk to Taekwoon, don't you?" This silenced the brunette immediately.

 

Taekwoon nodded at the elder before getting up, Hakyeon doing the same, although he was looking down at the ground.

 

Cute.

 

He lead them both outside, stopping at the front gate.

 

Taekwoon let go of the other's hand, though he already missed the warmth. A moment went by, silence blanketing over them again. Until Hakyeon decided to speak.

 

"Di…Did you mean it?" He asked in quiet voice.

 

"Uh..." Taekwoon started, scratching the back of his neck, before smiling at the brunet, "Yeah. I did. I was, uh, actually going to tell you after you talked to your father, but I uh, it kinda spilled before I could stop myself. Plus, the timing seemed right? So, yeah. Mm…I like you."

 

There, he said it. Though he wished he could’ve said it better.

 

“Since when?"

 

“Probably sometime when we started texting each other." He answered, scratching his nose nervously.

 

"Oh…why didn't you tell me?"

 

"I have now, haven’t I?" He countered, hand reaching the back of his head again – until Hakyeon reached for the hand and grasped it. He blushed at the touch, despite having held the brunette's hand earlier. "So, um, Hakyeon...be my boyfriend?"

 

"I'd love to," Hakyeon giggled as he wrapped his arms around his neck, engulfing him into a hug, and the sudden weight caused him to stumble back slightly. But he was able to regain balance quick enough as he wrapped his arms around Hakyeon's waist, a small smile gracing his face as he hugged him back.

 

His smile grew even bigger when Hakyeon buried his face in the crook of his neck, embracing him even tighter.

 

"And if you didn’t know already – I like you, too." He heard the brunette whisper. It caused a chill down his spine, and he pulled away from the hug to look at his boyfriend (boyfriend!). "I have since I saw first saw you sing."

 

"Oh." Was all he could muster, no doubt blushing from the neck up. "Can IㅡI want to kiss you."

 

God, that sounded awkward. He didn’t know how to do this okay.

 

"Then, what's stopping you?" Hakyeon chuckled, his arms still loosely slung around his boyfriend's neck. The brunet closed his eyes as he waited.

 

Taekwoon blushed as hesitantly leaned forward. Then stopped, inches away from the other's lips. And he just found himself staring at Hakyeon.

 

God, he was ethereal.

 

Taekwoon really couldn't believe he'd gotten this lucky.

 

He was so entranced by the other's beauty, that he was taken aback when he felt a pair of soft lips on his own. But it was quick – the lips were gone before he could chase them.

 

His eyes fluttered open, seeing his boyfriend giggling. Watched as Hakyeon grinned at him, then resting his head on his shoulder, letting out a content sigh.

 

"Geez, why are you the one getting shy? You initiated the kiss," Taekwoon remarked, confused. Hakyeon refused to move. So he made the brunette look up, cupping his face gently.

 

He leaned in before Hakyeon could say anything in response, pressing his lips onto the other's, lingering. He felt Hakyeon sigh in content as he kissed back with fervour. The sudden change in intensity surprised him at first, but he wasn’t about to let the brunet win that easily.

 

He pulled his boyfriend closer by the waist, pressed his lips harder on Hakyeon’s, eliciting a gasp from him. Smiling through the kiss before he pulled back, allowing the both of them to catch their breath.

 

Hakyeon smiled at him, lips now deliciously swollen. Pecked the brunet lightly, then smiling widely.

 

Ah, he felt content.

 

Happy. Happy to have Hakyeon all to himself.

 

He still couldn’t believe he was going to be dating such a beautiful being.

 

"What is it?"

 

"Have dinner with me tomorrow."

 

"I'd love to," Hakyeon beamed. “Are you picking me up?"

 

"Uh, actually, I was hoping you would pick me up. I don't have a car yet so..." Taekwoon replied, smiling sheepishly.

 

"Okay then. Pick you up at 7?" The brunette suggesting, laughing.

 

"Yeah," he breathed out, smiling.

 

They didn't say anything for a good few seconds. Merely stared at each other. Feeling content. Happy.

 

Until they heard the gate open, causing them to pull away quickly. Blushing.

 

"Mum," Hakyeon exclaimed. He noticed the growing smirk on the elder’s face, and he was sure she had seen them. He wanted the earth to devour him already.

 

"Oh, I didn't see anything, don't worry. Carry on, dears. Don't let me stop you!" Mrs. Cha remarked with a smirk, bowing in greeting at Taekwoon, who returned the gesture, albeit embarrassed.

 

Deciding that it was time he left, he spoke up. "I think I'll get going then. I'll see you tomorrow?"

 

"Wait, let me drop you off," Hakyeon suggested, and before he could protest, the brunet was already gesturing for him to get inside the car. Giving in, he got in and buckled up.

 

When they reached his apartment building, he took off his seatbelt, about to open the door when Hakyeon stopped him with a hand on his arm. He leaned in and pecked him on the cheek, softly. "Bye, boyfriend." Taekwoon blinked multiple times, before nodding and getting out of the car without another word. And once the brunet was out of sight, his hand reached up, placing it on his kissed cheek.

 

Grinning, he turned to head inside the building.

 

He couldn't wait to see Hakyeon tomorrow.

 


 

a/n: the end!~ hope you enjoyed it, and sorry for the late update sdklfjsdlf