Realisation

Faking It (Until We're Not)

Taekwoon's phone vibrated for the fifth time that evening as he put his belongings in the staff room locker. He sighed, causing his co-worker, Hyuk, to look at him with a raised brow.

 

He shut his locker after placing the phone inside.

 

He'd check the messages after work, no doubt that they were all from Hakyeon. Again.

 

Another buzz.

 

"Are you sure you're don’t wanna answer that?" The younger asked, pointing at his locker. Another buzz. God, didn't Hakyeon have anything better to do than text him? Why had he agreed to keep in contact with him again? "What if it's an emergency?"

 

"It's not," he replied with a snort.

 

"And how do you know that?" Hyuk asked in suspicion, brows furrowed.  

 

"Because I know who it is," he countered, "and he's always sending me multiple messages at once."

 

It was true.

 

Ever since he had started responding to Hakyeon's good morning texts, the grey-haired male had taken it as a green light to message him even more, it seemed. He should’ve expected it.

 

"Who is it?" the brunet asked, eagerly leaning towards him. He rolled his eyes, pushing the younger back.

 

"That's none of your business, brat," he remarked and started walking to the main room, where all the guests had started to come in.

 

"Oh, come on, hyung," Hyuk complained, "I want to know who's got you smiling so often lately. I thought we were friends." The younger jutted his lower lip out. Taekwoon looked at the younger, blank expression on his face.

 

"I never said that," he shot back, causing the younger to gasp dramatically, his hand clutching his heart. Honestly, this kid, he thought, sighing inwardly. "Now come on, we have work to do." And he left to attend to a table of four.

 

 

 

Hyuk continued to pester him throughout the evening, despite his threats of taking back all the things he'd gifted the younger. Like the Sasuke figurine. And the Justin Bieber album. Why was he being so persistent?

 

"Hyung, come on, tell me," the younger pleaded, following him to the kitchen, "tell me tell me tell me tell me tell me tell meㅡ" Taekwoon gritted his teeth, placing his hand over the brunet's mouth. Hyuk's eyebrows raised in question.

 

"Fine! I'll tell youㅡI’ll tell you – but you better shut up once I do, got it?" Hyuk nodded and he decided to remove his hand off his mouth. He waited. "It's Hakyeon."

 

“Is this Cha Hakyeon you’re talking about?” The younger asked.

 

“Yep,” he answered, popping the “p”. And it was funny how wide the younger's eyes had gotten.

 

"Like…as in, Cha Hakyeon, Hakyeon? Multimillionaire, owner of like a billion hotels, Cha Hakyeon?"

 

"First, it’s his dad that owns the hotels. Second, there aren't even that many hotels in South Korea? But yeah, that Cha Hakyeon," he confirmed, rolling his sleeves up, "now will you get back to work? We still have 4 hours to kill."

 

“How the hell does he have your number?” The younger probed further.

 

“I gave it to him.” He replied.

 

“No offence hyung, but…why would he want your number?” Hyuk remarked, looking unconvinced. He glared at the younger in annoyance, whilst the other merely waited, brows raising in question.

 

“We helped each other with something. And” he added before Hyuk could probe any further, “that’s it. I’ll get going now, and so should you.” Hyuk looked like he wanted to say something, but he decided against it. Nodding, he exited through the kitchen doors after giving him a salute.

 

Only to come back in seconds later. His eyes wide again.

 

"Oh my god." He released a breath of laughter. He raised his brow at the brunet in question. What had him so speechless? "Hyung, oh my god, you're never gonna believe who's at our restaurant. Holy ."

 

Confused and curious, he opened the door slightly, looking around the room. That’s when he spotted him. Adorned in an overly expensive suit. That grey hair that he knew too well now.

 

He was seated between two other men, one who he knew to be Hongbin. The raven-haired male he had no clue about.

 

Hakyeon was also wearing a huge pair of sunglasses. His nose inside the menu card, though he was hardly reading it, seeing how he kept looking around for something.

 

He wanted to facepalm.

 

Could he be any more obvious?

 

Releasing the door, he placed his hands on his hips, sighing in exasperation.

 

How had he managed to find the restaurant? He sure hadn’t – despite the many times the other had tried asking. Whoㅡ

 

"Taekwoon! What are you doing standing here? There's still guests to attend to! Go to table 6, now!" his boss commanded, point to the door. He apologised and bowed before making his way out the door to his assigned table.

 

Only to halt in his steps when he realised who’s table it was.

 

Did it have to be this one? He thought to himself.

 

Hakyeon didn't look at him, but he definitely noticed him tense up when he approached their table. Whipping out his notepad, he stared at the three men, a brow raised in question.

 

"Are you ready to order?" He asked, glancing at each of them. A clearing of a throat. Taekwoon blankly turned to Hakyeon, who still had his eyes on the contents of the menu.

 

"Uh, yes, we'd like the special, please," the grey-haired male said, his voice deeper than it usually would be.

 

He was trying hard not to roll his eyes.

 

Is he for real right now?

 

"Oh, and three colas, too," the raven-haired male added with a grin. Taekwoon noted it down and nodded curtly, slipping his pen into his pocket. Bowing, he turned around and headed for the kitchen. Thinking whether he should to give the job of attending to table six to either Hyuk or Sooyoung instead.

 

 

 

It was almost closing time and the trio still hadn’t left. All they had on their table now was their almost empty glasses.

 

Why weren’t they leaving? He thought.

 

They were obviously done with their meal.

 

That is, until Hongbin raised his hand, calling for the bill. He nodded and collected the bill before walking to the table and placing it on top.

 

“Thank you, hyung.” Hongbin nodded, grabbing the bill. He looked at the younger in surprise but nodded, before leaving the trio.

 

That is, until he heard Hakyeon speak.

 

"He didn't notice it was me, did he?" And he could almost hear the pout gracing Hakyeon's face now. He sounded disappointed. Rolling his eyes, he turned back to face the grey-haired male.

 

"Oh, I noticed," he remarked, causing Hakyeon to whip his head to look at him, taking his glasses off. "You stuck out like a sore thumb, Hakyeon. It was hard not to notice." He remarked, snorting.

 

"Then…why didn't you say anything?" Hakyeon asked, and his voice sounded so small, he almost didn’t hear it.

 

"Because I'm working, and," he crossed his arms, "I thought I told you not to come here. Who told you where I worked?" Hakyeon looked at him, sheepish as he scratched the back of his head. He had a feeling who it could’ve been.

 

"I asked Wonshik-ah to tell me." He should've known. "Don't be mad at him, though! I was persistent, so he didn’t really have a choice..." Hakyeon looked at him with a frown, then looked down. "I'm sorry. I know you told me not to visit but I just got curious. I missed you." He heard the grey-haired male mutter. Wait. Had he heard that right?

 

"We talk pretty much every day, Hakyeon," he tried to say with a straight face, though his burning cheeks were a giveaway. He noticed Hongbin and the other male looked at him with twin smirks.

 

"That's not the same! I can't see your face when we’re texting, can I?" Hakyeon countered, crossing his own arms over his chest. Pouting again. He was beginning to think the grey-haired male was doing this deliberately. He pursed his lips, trying not to smile, but it was difficult.

 

"Video calling does exist, you know?" He argued, sighing. That caused Hakyeon to look up at him with wide eyes. Then, turning away, blushing in embarrassment.

 

"I-I'm not an idiot, Taekwoon, geez," Hakyeon huffed, shooting a glare his way before turning away again, "I just...didn't think you'd accept my calls even if I tried calling."

 

Oh.

 

"I never said I wouldn't," he muttered. God, he hoped he wasn't blushing. (He definitely was seeing as Hakyeon’s friends were sniggering in his direction right now.)

 

"I'm holding you to that then!" Hakyeon exclaimed, poking his chest with his finger, to which he swatted away, rubbing the area to soothe the pain.

 

"Do whatever you want," he replied, waving his hand in dismissal as he turned around to leave again.

 

"Bye, Woonie! I'll text you." He heard the grey-haired male shout excitedly. He found the corner of his lips curving up as he returned to the kitchen.

 

Where a grinning Hyuk was waiting.

 

He stopped in his tracks, clearing his throat as he scratched his nose to try and hide his face.

 

The younger wiggled his brows at him successively to which he rolled his eyes at.

 

"Shut up." But the smile refused to go away.

 

"I didn't say anything yet!" Hyuk exclaimed, snickering.

 

"But I know what you're going to say." He countered, crossing his arms.

 

"And what's that?" The younger asked with a mischievous grin on his face. If only he wasn’t the restaurant owner’s son, he would’ve loved to flick his forehead for being a brat.

 

"That I like Hakyeon." He answered without a second thought. Damn it.

 

"And you do, don't you?" The younger said smugly. He chose to ignore the other and started to clear away the tables and chairs for closing up the restaurant.

 

"I'm taking that as a yes!" Hyuk called. There was a moment of silence, and he thought he'd be able to work in peace before, "By the way, hyung, who's that cute guy with the white suit?"

 

Taekwoon raised a brow at the younger. "I don't know. Hakyeon didn't introduce him to me. Why?" He asked, a knowing smirk slowly making its way on his face.

 

"Ask Hakyeon hyung for me, then. I want to know." Hyuk answered in a matter of fact tone, smiling widely before getting back to work. Tch. This brat didn’t even seem affected by his teasing tone.

 

"Ask him yourself!" He answered, annoyed. This caused the younger to turn around, lower lip jutted out.

 

"But I don't have his number…" Hyuk pouted. He sighed, getting his notepad out, then stopping. Should he really be giving out Hakyeon's number like this? Maybe he’ll ask the other once he got home.

 

He put the notepad back into his pocket. "Fine. I'll ask him."

 

The younger cheered and grinned at him. "Thanks hyung! You're the best." He beamed, holding his thumbs up. Taekwoon rolled his eyes in response.

 

"I'm only the best when I give you what you want." He argued, shaking his head. This wasn’t the first time he’d given into the younger’s requests (well, more like demands, if he was being honest).

 

"Oh please, you love me," Hyuk answered, waving his hand dismissively, a cheeky grin on his face. He snorted in response before exiting the kitchen. Annoying brat.

 

 

 

me:
hyuk wants to know who the cute guy in white is
the one that came with you last night

 

hakyeon:
well, a hello to u too. I’m fine, thanks for asking, and
ohhh you're talking about jaehwanie!
i forgot to introduce the two of you, sorry :(

 

me:
its alright
goodnight then

 

hakyeon:
you're leaving already? :(((
I wanted to talk more tho
stay for a little bit longer
please?

 

 

 

Well, it wasn’t like he was busy or anything. Talking for a little bit wouldn’t make a difference.

 

 

 

me:
what do you want to talk about?

 

hakyeon:
oh
um i didnt think you'd say yes
but no worries!
hm
whats your favourite colour?

 

me:
black

 

hakyeon:
oooh, so like your soul :D
mine is red btw!

 

me:
okay

 

 

 

A few mins had gone by, and the grey-haired male hadn’t responded. He wondered if he had fallen asleep.

 

He was proven wrong by another buzz from his phone.

 

 

 

hakyeon:
hey
im gonna call you

 

me:
what for?

 

hakyeon:
just answer it!

 

 

 

[ Hakyeon is video calling you. ]

 

Answer. | Decline.

 

He placed the phone in front of him, waiting as Hakyeon's face appeared on the screen.

 

"Taekwoon-ah!" Hakyeon shouted, a grin on his face. He pulled back slightly from the sudden loudness. "Sorry! I'm outside right now so you gotta bear with me shouting."

 

"Then, call back when you're at home." He reached for the disconnect button and was about to cut the call when the grey-haired male stopped him.

 

"Wait! Don't go yet! My friends left me alone at the bar, so I have nothing to do." Hakyeon said, sighing. "Can you stay on the phone until they get back? Please?"

 

Taekwoon looked away from the screen in thought. He had work tomorrow. Another early shift – 7am. Glancing back at Hakyeon, he was about to tell the other that he would need to cut the call, but then he noticed something strange. His brows furrowed in question.

 

His eyes showed hope and fear.

 

Something was wrong.

 

"Hakyeon, what's wrong?" He asked, brows knitted in worry.

 

"It's nothing," the other dismissed with a stutter. "Just, stay with me until Jaehwan and Binnie get back, please." He wanted to ask further but decided against it when he noticed Hakyeon glancing to his side. Something was definitely wrong.

 

"I'll stay then," he assured, sending a small smile. He noticed Hakyeon release a breath of relief and smile back in return. "Where are you right now anyway?" he asked, wanting to keep the other distracted from whatever was causing him such anxiety.

 

"Oh, I'm at Club Nine! Jaehwanie wanted to go out for drinks so," he shrugged, but he still looked distracted as he glanced to his side again. Something else. What else could he ask Hakyeon?

 

"Whㅡ" He was interrupted when an arm swung around Hakyeon's shoulders. It startled him.

 

"Sorry we took so long, hyung!" The black haired male apologised, resting his head on Hakyeon's shoulder and pouting. “There was this really cute guy and I just had to get his number." He lifted his head and grinned sheepishly. Hakyeon shook his head and sighed.

 

"Of course you did," Hakyeon said, rolling his eyes. Really, he wanted to reprimand the raven-haired male for prioritising a guy over his friend, but he chose stayed silent and wait for Hakyeon to realise that he was still on the phone with him. Few seconds in, and Hakyeon finally took notice, exclaiming, "oh! Jaehwan-ah, this is Taekwoon. Taekwoon, this is Jaehwan. And you already know Binnie." Hongbin waved at him to which he nodded at in acknowledgement.

 

"So this is the hottie with the pretty voice! Nice to meet you, hyung!" Jaehwan greeted him with much enthusiasm. He responded with an awkward nod and smile at the camera.

 

A hint of red brushed his cheeks as he turned back to Hakyeon. He was grinning at him, scratching the back of his head, looking slightly embarrassed. Cute, he couldn't help thinking. He could feel his cheeks heat up even more at the thought.

 

And there was no denying it, he realised.

 

He did like Hakyeon. Maybe since a while now.

 

He enjoyed talking to him. Hakyeon was...he was intriguing.

 

Always managed to surprise him. In a good way, of course. He was unpredictable, and although at first he found it a little annoying, he'd be lying if he said he hadn't grown used to it by now. Fond of it even.

 

And maybe – just maybe, he started expecting. Anticipating. To see what he'd do the next time they talked to each other.

 

The snapping of fingers pulled him out of his thoughts, to find Jaehwan smirking at him knowingly.

 

It reminded him so much of Sanghyuk that he found it frightening. He thought the two may just be perfect for each other. Although he sensed nothing but twice the mischief and tears (mostly from him, he suspected).

 

"We get that our Hakyeon hyung is a beauty, but please, save that for when you're behind doors, okay?" Jaehwan winked, chuckling loudly right after as Hakyeon slapped his shoulder.

 

He tried so hard not to coo at the sight of the grey-haired male blushing so furiously at the comment.

 

Never mind the fact that he was sure his own face probably resembled Hakyeon's.

 

It even slipped his mind that Hakyeon had only asked him to stay on the phone until his friends had returned.

 

A vibration from the other end interrupted his thoughts, and he looked curiously at the grey-haired male. Watched as Hakyeon's eyes widened in shock and looked at him then back at top of his screen. His face looked paler than before.

 

"Oh! Looks like your dad is coming back home early this time?" Jaehwan noted. Taekwoon looked at Hakyeon with an expression of confusion. Why did he seem so tense? "Hey, why do you look so shocked, hyung? Is something wrong?" The younger asked, head tilting to the side.

 

"What are you going to do? Are you going to tell him that you're not together anymore?" Hongbin asked, arms crossed over his chest.

 

"Not together anymore? What?" Jaehwan asked, but no one paid him attention.

 

Hakyeon glanced at him and he sighed. Because he knew what the other wanted to say. To continue their façade for a little longer.

 

Really, wouldn't it be better if Hakyeon just told his father that he didn't want to get married yet? Surely, his father wouldn’t do something like forcing Hakyeon to go on more blind dates if he simply expressed his thoughts.

 

"Why don't you just try telling him the truth, Hakyeon-ah?" He suggested, sending the other an encouraging smile.

 

"What truth? Hello, guys?" Jaehwan called but he was ignored again. He could tell the younger was unaware of their situation, and wonder why he didn’t know of it yet, despite being one of Hakyeon’s best friends.

 

"What guarantee is there that he'll stop setting me up?" Hakyeon argued, brow raised in challenge.

 

"And what guarantee is there is that he'll continue?" He countered. Hakyeon's lips jutted out in response, looking dejected, knowing that Taekwoon was right. "You'll never know if you don't even try." He remarked with a smile. Hakyeon looked as if he was about to protest, so he added, "do you want me to go with you?"

 

A pause. Hakyeon stared at him with surprise, the music playing at the club playing in the background.

 

"You…want to come?" The grey-haired male asked, surprised. Taekwoon nodded, causing the other to smile widely. "That'd be nice." And the flush of red became visible again as the other bit his bottom lip. He swallowed as he observed the action quietly.

 

"Go where? Where are you guys going? Geez, will you please tell me what's going on?" The black haired male whined, pout still prominent. All three of them looked at Jaehwan before chuckling.

 

"Come on hyung, I'll get you another drink," Hongbin offered, pulling the older male away from Hakyeon.

 

"Ah, but I want to know what they're talking about! Why are you keeping secrets from me? That's not fair," he heard Jaehwan protest before he was out of view.

 

He noticed Hakyeon nodded in his friends' direction before turning back to him.

 

"You haven't told him," Taekwoon stated, to which Hakyeon nodded.

 

"Just hadn't had the chance to. He's been so busy with managing his company that he hadn't been able to hang out with us until tonight." Hakyeon explained. "I'll tell him tonight, though. He’s my best friend, so he deserves to know."

 

"How long have you guys been friends for then?" He blurted before he could stop himself. Though he’d be lying if he wasn’t at least a little curious.

 

"Hm, well, me and Jaehwanie have been friends since we were five. We were neighbours, so I’ve practically known him my whole life. And Binnie…well, he's one of my father's friends' son, and one of the people my dad tried to set me up with."

 

Oh. He thought. Then, how come...

 

"You seem close. So, uh, why didn't it work out for the two of you?" He asked. He noticed Hakyeon glance at his friends before looking back at him, smiling.

 

"Actually, Jaehwanie liked Hongbin at the time," Hakyeon replied, causing both of Taekwoon's brows to rise in surprise. "And I didn't want to do that to him. Plus, I wasn't really that excited about being tied down, so I refused right away. But Binnie wanted us to at least be friends, so of course I agreed. He's a good kid, really." The grey-haired male added with a reminiscing smile.

 

It seems like Hongbin likes you, though, he thought inwardly with a frown. But he tried not to think of that too much.

 

Couldn’t help but feel uneasy about the thought of seeing Hakyeon with someone else.

 

He didn't really like the idea of giving Hakyeon to anyone. As selfish as that sounded.

 

Well, it’s pointless if Hakyeon doesn't even know you like him, . His conscious remarked helpfully.

 

He sighed inwardly, knowing that it was true.

 

He would tell Hakyeon. He will. He just...needed the right timing, that's all.

 

"...aekwoon-ah!" Snapping out of his thoughts, he looked back at Hakyeon, who was looking at him with a frown on his face. "Is something wrong? You're frowning. Am I keeping you from your sleep? I am, aren’t I? I'm sorry, I'll cut the call now and let you sleep. Goodnight, Taekwooㅡ"

 

"Wait." He blurted out, causing the grey male to stop his hand from disconnecting. He waited for Taekwoon, looking at him with curious eyes. He looked away from Hakyeon, his eyes darting everywhere but the person on the screen. "Um, I have something to tell youㅡn-not today. I want to tell you after you speak with your father."

 

Hakyeon's eyebrows raised in question, as if surprised. "Why can't you just tell me now?" He asked.

 

"It's something that needs to be said in person," when he noticed the other about to protest, he added, "C-can you not ask any more questions and just cut the call now?"

 

"…Okay Taekwoon, I'll wait. I'll see you soon, then? I'll text you later once I decided to tell my dad, about everything…is that alright?" He nodded once in response and waved back before the call was finally disconnected.

 

Releasing a long breath, Taekwoon slid down his sofa, staring at his phone screen, a flush of red on his cheeks.

 

He groaned aloud, messing his hair in frustration. He felt so embarrassed, thinking about how he'd confess.

 

"Mm…Hakyeon-ah, I like you. Go out with me?" He tested, only to groan again. He didn't sound confident at all.

 

"Hakyeon-ah, I, uh, like you. A lot. Be my boyfriend?" He tried again and sighed, feeling dissatisfied again by the confession.

 

Why is it so hard? He asked himself, allowing his head to hang at the side, the frown making an appearance again.

 

He was going to do it. Definitely.

 

Soon.