An Opportunity

Faking It (Until We're Not)

Taekwoon slid into the high seat of the bar, nodding at the silver haired bartender, Wonshik.

 

It had been a long day. What with his afternoon shift at the restaurant, and now his singing gig at Hotel Mono. His throat felt sore from the amount of singing he'd had to do tonight.

 

The hotel lounge was even more crowded today, with high corporate businessmen. It made him scrunch his nose in annoyance. Like they were shoving their richness in his face.

 

He wondered what special event was being held for there to have so many rich snobs in one place.

 

"Your usual, no ice," the silver haired male said, sliding a glass of lemonade to him. He nodded in thanks before picking the glass up and taking a swig. Sighed in content because this was exactly what he'd needed.

 

"Thanks, Wonshik-ah," he breathed out in relief.

 

The week had been really stressful for him. Handling two jobs for three days in a row had really taken a toll on him, but he had no choice.

 

He was behind on rent this month. With good reason of course. Both of his jobs were casual, so, there were times in the month where he’d hardly get any shifts or gigs. Which meant that he couldn’t gather enough to pay rent.

 

Unfortunately, his landlord was having none of it and demanded that he pay by the end of the week or he'd be kicked out. And that’s the last thing he needed, since he had nowhere else to go – and his parents’ house was not an option he was willing to consider.

 

So here he was, working twelve hours a day and hardly having any time for himself.

 

But he couldn’t afford to complain because it was after much pleading that he’d managed to get more hours at the restaurant.

 

With the singing gig, he just happened to get lucky with the big events taking place the past few days. And as much as he hated being surrounded by these rich bastards, he would’ve been a fool not to accept the offer.

 

Or maybe he should've listened to his parents when they advised him to take a more practical major. Then he wouldn’t even have had to worry about all this.

 

Business instead of Music as they had suggested. Maybe then he wouldn't be living off packs of ramen and takeaway. Maybe then he would be happy.

 

Except. He wouldn't be. Not really anyway.

 

Sure, he would probably have a more well-paying job in some company, but it wouldn’t feel right. Nothing else made him feel as good as music did. And he didn’t think anything ever would.

 

So, yes, he was merely scraping through rent, and had a messed-up sleep schedule. But he'd experienced so much in these 2 years, good and bad. Learned so much about himself that he doubted he would have known if he had still been living with his parents and working in a dull office. He didn't regret it.

 

Although, he did wish he had planned ahead instead of jumping headfirst into independence.

 

But what's done is done.

 

He's come to terms with his living conditions and was trying his best to get by.

 

Of course, that didn't mean he'd stopped thinking about his dream to become a musician.

 

So far, he had sent numerous self-produced tracks as well as covers to music companies all around Seoul.

 

No replies yet, but it wasn't like he hadn't expected for it to happen. It was never that easy to get into the music industry, he was well aware of that.

 

He would try and try again. He's never been one to give up, really. It's why he had taken up the job as a bar singer at Hotel Mono. It gave him at least some exposure.

 

One day he would make it. He was going to prove to his parents that his dream was achievable.

 

For now, however, he was going to have to deal with juggling two jobs and living in a shabby apartment and eating ramen every day.

 

It was only temporary, he told himself. Only for n

 

The clearing of a throat interrupted his train of thoughts. He turned his head to come face to face with none other than Cha Hakyeon, the hotel owner’s son. Taekwoon could feel another sigh about to escape his lips.

 

"I am not doing it, Hakyeon-ssi," he stated, turning away from said man. He knew what the tanned male was going to ask, and there was no way he’d helped a rich guy of all people. Not after all the misery they’d caused him.

 

A week, that's how long this had been going on. And Hakyeon just didn't know when to quit. Honestly, Taekwoon couldn't understand why he was so persistent.

 

"I didn't even say anything yet!" The grey-haired male exclaimed, chuckling.

 

Taekwoon turned his attention to Hakyeon again, face void of emotion.

 

"The answer is still, no," he deadpanned. This caused another breath of laughter out of the grey-haired male, leaning his cheek against his palm as he looked at him. There was a smirk on his face that Taekwoon really wanted to wipe right off.

 

"You don't have to be so cold, Woonie," Hakyeon argued, his lips jutting out into a pout. But Taekwoon wasn't budging (though he did internally cringe at the pet name). He wouldn't. And he hoped the grey-haired male would understand that and give up.

 

He sighed in exasperation. He was too tired for this.

 

"I really don't see what's the harm. I'm merely asking for a few hours of your time."

 

"I don't have the luxury to spare you that time. So, I really suggest you find someone else to help you," because he should. Unlike Hakyeon, he had to worry about covering all the bills by himself, he didn’t have his parents support. And he certainly didn't have any time to mess around.

 

He'd done that enough in the first year he was living alone anyway.

 

When he noticed the frown on the other's face, it made him hopeful. Surely he had given up now, he thought.

 

"I can't," was the grey-haired male's answer. Taekwoon blinked. What's that supposed to mean? "It has to be you. Plus…I may have already told my father that you were my fiancé..."

 

"Wh-whaㅡ!" Taekwoon sputtered, coughing as he felt the lemonade go down the wrong pipe. Wonshik patted his back to help him soothe the pain, to which he smiled gratefully at. Turning back to glare at the grey-haired male, who now had a sheepish smile on his face. "You did what." Taekwoon gritted out.

 

"I panicked, okay?" Hakyeon blurted. He scoffed in response. "My father has been trying to set me up with his friend's daughters and sons, and they've all gone horribly. And it didn't seem like he was going to give up so I just told him that I had a fiancé and…may have already shown him a picture of you." The other looked down at the floor, embarrassed.

 

What the hell.

 

Wh-who even does that?

 

God, this is why he disliked rich people. They just did whatever they want, without thinking of the consequences and it was almost always at the expense of people like him.

 

"Oh my god," he heard his best friend breathe out, although really, he should have been working instead of eavesdropping. Taekwoon could tell he was on the verge of laughing, but he decided not to pay attention to it. Because that was not the problem right now. He couldn't believe Hakyeon had done somethingㅡsomething so stupid. Reckless.

 

"Please, I only need a few hours! My father will be going overseas for business right after the anniversary party, so you can leave right after the party is over, I swear." The grey-haired male explained; there was a look of panic painted on his face.

 

Taekwoon almost gave in seeing such an expression on the other’s face. Almost.

 

"That's not really my problem. You've gotten yourself into this mess," he shook his head, turning to face the bar. Why should he help him anyway?

 

"Okay, what's it going to take for you to agree? I'll do anything," the tanned male pleaded. He stared at the other, checking to see whether his desperation was genuine. Fingers tapping on the bar counter as he reconsidered. Should he agree? Hakyeon did say he’d do anything…

 

"Anything, you say," he heard Wonshik interject from beside him. He stopped his tapping, turning to his best friend.

 

He knew that look on the younger's face, and it was anything but a good sign.

 

"Anything," Hakyeon confirmed, causing him to turn to the man sitting beside him again. He was serious.

 

And he didn't have to look at his best friend to understand what he was thinking.

 

"Wonshik, don't."

 

“Hyung, he literally said anything,” the younger whispered in his ear. “As much as I hate to say – you need the money right now and this guy might just be able to help you.” Taekwoon glanced towards Hakyeon, who looked at them with curiosity. Wonshik leaned away, looking down at him, nodding towards the suited man, who looked on with anticipation.

 

“What do you say, Taekwoon? Anything you want in exchange for acting as my fake fiancé for one night. That’s all.” Hakyeon offered, his eyes hopeful.

 

Was he really about to do this?

 

Wonshik wasn’t wrong. He really did need the money. And despite having worked long hours, he was still short on money for rent. Hakyeon might be his only hope.

 

He sighed.

 

“Okay.” He said, then looking back at Hakyeon. “Okay, I’ll do it.”

 

“You will?” The grey-haired male asked, expectant. He nodded in reply, which caused Hakyeon to squeal. That’s right. Cha Hakyeon actually squealed. Then proceeded thank him multiple times.

 

Hakyeon grabbed his hand and clasped it between his own, squeezing it firmly. Then he smiled softly, his cheeks painted slightly red, “Thank you, really.”

 

He gulped and nodded, eyes turning away from the other man.

 

Boy, he sure hoped he didn’t regret this.

 

 

---

 

 

They exchanged numbers after that. Although, Taekwoon still found himself having second thoughts at times. To just go with working those long hours at the restaurant.

 

But he guessed it was too late for that because Hakyeon looked so hopeful and excited.

 

He'd be an to go back on his word now. No matter how much he disliked Hakyeon, he wouldn't do something so low. Especially to someone that was paying him and practically saving him from being ousted from his home.

 

Just as he slipped his shoes off at the doorway and put his slippers on, he felt a buzz from his pocket. Taking his phone out, he found that he had a text. Releasing a breath of laughter. Speak of the devil, he thought. He tapped on the message and saw that Hakyeon had sent him the time and location of the party.

 

Hotel Mono lounge, at 7 o'clock.

 

cha hakyeon:
oh and tell me ur account # so i can transfer the money to u (^v^)

 

Typing in a quick reply that he'd be there and his account number, he pocketed his phone and went about to make his dinner.

 

Ramyun again, by the looks of his practically empty cupboards.

 

The fridge was pretty much empty too, save for a carton of banana milk and a few cans of beer that Wonshik had brought when he last visited.

 

He reminded himself that he’ll have to go grocery shopping soon. At least for milk and bread, and maybe eggs too. Probably more packets of ramyun as well. He took out a metal pot from the bottom cupboard and started filling it with water.

 

Glancing at the wall clock, he realised that it was already eleven. Having ramyun so late at night was probably not the best idea, but again, it’s not like he had a choice.

 

He needed to sleep soon, if he wanted to ensure he had enough sleep for work at 6am tomorrow.

 

Not that he ever got any. Whenever he was stressed (pretty much all time right now), he would always end up waking in the middle of the night, numerous times.

 

He opened the packet and dropped the noodles into the boiling pot.

 

And he's had to resort to taking sleeping pills at times, to force himself asleep. But he knew that he couldn't take them every time he couldn't get to sleep. They only did so much.

 

Stirring the noodles for a few minutes before turning the stove off.

 

This was really his life, huh?

 

Sighing, he turned off the stove and carried the pot to the living room, placing it on the coffee table before going back to grab his chopsticks.

 

And just as he was about to eat, his phone vibrated, alerting him of a new message. He placed his chopsticks down into the pot and whipped out his phone. He snorted as he read the messages.

 

cha hakyeon:
all done!
the money should be there now ^^
if there's anything else, lmk!
anyway, its getting late so goodnight ☆
i hope ur getting some sleep too :D
ig u probably are since ur not replying haha
i’ll see u at the party then!!

 

"Isn't he being too nice?" He thought aloud, brows raised and a frown taking place as he read the messages.

 

He shook his head and chose not to ponder over it too much. It was none of his concern anyway, since this party was a one-off thing.

 

Sending a quick reply of "thank you", he returned to his meal.

 

 

---

 

 

When he returned home the next evening, he was greeted by a mysterious package waiting outside his door. He glanced from left to right, checking to see if the person that had left it was in sight.

 

With no one in sight, he picked up the package and examined it, a look of confusion painting his face.

 

As far as he knew, he hadn't been expecting anything from the post. He was sure he hadn't ordered anything either. Not that he had enough money to get much anyway.

 

Deciding to inspect the package further inside, he unlocked the front door and slipped his shoes off and slippers on, before making his way to settle down on the sofa.

 

Well, the label definitely had his name printed on it. But this caused him to become even more baffled.

 

Did Wonshik send me something? He thought before ripping open the plastic.

 

His brows furrowed even more in confusion. It was a black suit.

 

Why had Wonshik sent him a suit?

 

And more importantly, how the hell was he able to afford such an expensive brand? He thought as he spotted the label. Before he could inspect it further however, his phone vibrated from his pocket.

 

cha hakyeon:
taekwoon-ah!! 
if you receive a package
that'll be from me :D
its a suit for the party, i hope u like it!

 

me:
u didnt have to get me such an expensive suit u know
plus i have one already

 

cha hakyeon:
oh u do?? D:
im sorry i didnt mean to assume
i just wanted to ensure that my 
father likes u ;;

 

me:
its just a one-off thing 
why does that matter?
like u said once he's gone, we wont hv to do this anymore

 

cha hakyeon:
oh
yeah of course
but um, the thing is…
:D

 

me:
what is it this time?

 

cha hakyeon:
so um dont get mad at me but
itoldmydadthatyouwereasupermodelandalsosuperrich
:D

 

me:
except im not
oh my god u are an actual idiot
why would u tell him something like that?

 

cha hakyeon:
okay hear me out
my fathers reli picky about who i marry

 

me:
we're not actually getting married though 
u do know that right?

 

cha hakyeon:
you didn't let me finish -_-
and hes picky about who i date

 

me:
so in other words
he only wants u to date those who are rich and snobby

 

cha hakyeon:
hey! 
not all rich ppl are snobs :(

 

me:
but u admit that a lot are

 

cha hakyeon:
ugh whatever yes
now will u pls just come wearing that suit?

 

me:
fine
after that im returning it to u

 

cha hakyeon:
okay fine
if thats what u want ;^;

 

He snorted. He could practically imagine the pout gracing the grey-haired male's face. It was cutㅡ

 

Woah woah woah, was he just about to call hakyeon cute?

 

Oh no. Nope. Don’t even think about it, Taekwoon, he reprimanded himself. Sending a quick response, he glanced down at the suit on his coffee table.

 

With another sigh escaping his lips, he picked it up and made his way to the bedroom to store the suit away. Somewhere where he wouldn't see it.

 

At least until tomorrow night.