Chapter 2

As I Go To Bed

It's a new day for Chorong. Chorong sigh as she stands from her bed. She looks at the alarm clock wondering if she'll throw it away or break it into pieces so that it won't disturb her again in her sleep. But she just roll her eyes knowing that she can't to that. She let out a sigh.

She's preparing herself so that she can go to school. She's in the bathroom. She took a bath first and brush her teeth. Looking herself in the mirror she thought, "if only you're beautiful or just valuable, maybe people will love you." She gave herself a small smile as tears flow down from her eyes down to her face. She's staring straight in the mirror when she hears the door open. She hurriedly wipe her tears off and face that person who opens the door. It turned out to be her mother who looks so angry. Chorong greeted her mother and says that she'll be there in a minute. Her mother gets out from her room and closes the door that made her feel relieved.

Chorong hurriedly open the door and goes to the kitchen to get some food. But she didn't arrive at the kitchen yet, her family looks at her. They're all staring at her. She force herself to smile and she turn around and go to the front door and and wait for the bus to stop by.

Chorong's POV

The day hasn't start yet but it's already tough for me. I still don't understand why they're being like that. They don't even remember what we have today. Well, I should get used to it because it's been a long time since they treated me like that. I can't even remember when it started.

It's already 8:25 am. 35 minutes to go before our classes starts. After awhile, a bus stop. I'm already walking towards the entrance of the bus when someone's grab my wrist and and lead me back inside of our house. It's my brother, Bogum. I show him the look of annoyance.

"What do you think you're doing?" I said with a calm voice to prevent us from fighting.

"Is it bad to drive my little sister in our school?" He replied with a pout.

He really annoys me. He always brings trouble to me. Ohh speaking of trouble.

"Chorong! You should be lucky that your brother wants to drive you. Because if you're going to ask me, I won't let your brother to drive you and waste his time!" My mom said to me almost shouting.

My brother seems to notice me frowning that's why he says goodbye to our parents and lead me to his car.

It's almost 30 minutes since we left home. Me and my brother's not talking to each other. So, to cut the silence, I want to ask him why he's being good to me.

"Hey, Bogum" I said with a soft voice

"Hmm?" He said almost humming.

"Why-" I cut what I about to say when the car stops. It turns out that we already arrive in the University.

My brother wave a hand in front of my face to get my attention because I'm looking in the in the front gate of the university.

"What is it again? Your question." He said.

I just smile and say, "nothing."

I also told him that we should get going because we're already late.

He just nods as a response.

We hurriedly get off the car and runs towards the entrance of the school. As we reach the corridor, we separated ways. I walk slowly and enter the classroom so that our literature professor won't notice. But it's the opposite.

"Ms. Park" He said with a loud voice but he's not shouting.

I turned around into his direction and bow. I said to him, "I'm sorry Mr. Kim Minseok. Sorry for being late." I can't even look at him in the eye because of the embarrassment although he didn't embarrassed me. That's weird.

"It's already your third time being late Ms. Park. Don't do this again or we will have to call your parents." He said to me.

I just nod and hurriedly go to my place. As I sit, I notice almost everyone's looking at me. I just keep my head down because they're staring at me. I only lift my head when Mr. Kim Minseok said, "Mind to focus on our lessons, class? Ms. Park has nothing to do with our topic today." I can see that the eyes of my classmates starts to driff away and they're attention is not on me anymore.

Mr. Kim Minseok discussing our topic for today. All of my classmates are focused while I'm just sketching. I'm so busy sketching when someone grab the paper that I'm using. My heart skips a bit. "Is that Mr. Kim Minseok?" I thought to myself as I slowly lift my head up. I just sigh when I realize it's my friend, Seo Juhyun.

"What the hell Juhyun?" I said to her with a soft voice to prevent commotion.

She just chuckle and hand to me my sketch book.

We both chuckle softly.

I really love this girl. She means a lot to me. We've been friends since God knows. But she can't remember what we have today.

I'm taking Bachelor of Arts in Political Science. I want to be a lawyer someday. But some told me that I can't be a lawyer because I'm introvert and my behavior is not applicable in Political Science. Well, I'm always late and I don't talk too much.

Mr. Kim Minseok class is finally over. After almost 2 hours. It's already lunch time. I hurriedly go to the cafeteria so that I can buy what I want without pushing or being pushed by others. I bought chicken sandwich and a milk. After eating, I go back to our classroom.

6 hours passed and it's time to go home. It's already 5:00 in the afternoon. I hurriedly go out the University and go to a grocery near by. I bought a pack of cupcakes. Since that's what I can only afford. My parents won't give me much money.

After buying, I go home immediately. I check the house first since it seems so quiet. But I can't find them. I just thought that they'll surprise me. But they didn't.

I'm already in my room. I unpacked the cupcakes and start putting small candles that I found in the cabinet. I lit them up. And I play the song "Happy Birthday" and start singing with it. I blow the candles when the song is ending. I was about to turn off my phone when a certain music play. It is Breathe by Lee Hi. This song really makes me sad.
~~
Lee Hi's Breathe

[Verse 1]
Take a deep breath
Until both sides of your heart get numb
Until it hurts a little
Let out your breath even more
Until you feel
Like there’s nothing left inside
It’s alright if you run out of breath
No one will blame you
It’s okay to make mistakes sometimes
Because anyone can do so
Although comforting by saying it’s alright
Are just words

[Chorus]
Someone’s breath. That heavy breath
How can I see through that?
Though I can’t understand your breath
It’s alright I’ll hold you

[Verse 2]
It’s alright if you run out of breath
No one will blame you
It’s okay to make mistakes sometimes
Because anyone can do so
Although comforting by saying it’s alright
Are just words

[Chorus]
Someone’s breath. That heavy breath
How can I see through that?
Though I can’t understand your breath
It’s alright I’ll hold you

[Verse 3]
Even if others think your sigh
Takes out energy and strength
I already know
That you had a day that’s hard enough
To let out even a small sigh
Now don’t think of anything else
Let out a deep sigh
Just let it out like that

[Outro]
Someone’s breath. That heavy breath
How can I see through that?
Though I can’t understand your breath
It’s alright I’ll hold you
You really did a good job
Source: Genius
~~
Just by listening to it, my tears are falling. This is relatable. It hurts so much when no one remembers my birthday. Even my friend, Juhyun. Maybe I'm not important to them.

After I cried so hard, I'm sleepy. Maybe in my dreams someone will greet me a happy birthday. "Good night Chorong and happy birthday." I said to myself and closes my eyes.