Chapter 4

Twice A Fool

After attending Jaeyoung's classes in the morning Chaeyoung rushed down to the school's cafeteria.

 

His stomach was already begging for food since the first subject as he end up skipping breakfast because he woke up already thirty minutes late for his sister's first class. Lucky for him, his roommates weren't around when he woke up, he can rush his morning routine without worrying being caught.

 

He really didn't slept well last night. How the hell can he sleep at peace when just an inches away, underneath his bed, is the girl who's been always on his mind for these past years?

 

"Son Jaeyoung!"

 

Before he can find a seat in the cafeteria he heard a familiar voice calling him. 'Aish!' He pressed his lips together before turning to see the girl—who is now in front of him. "N-Nayeon..."

 

"Hey!" The 'cheerleader' waved her hand to greet him. "You seems to be alone. Why don't you join me and my friends at the table." She pointed her right thumb at the group of girls from two tables behind her.

 

"No," he answered in an instant. "I-I mean, I'm actually with someone." He lied as his eyes wander around the cafeteria.

 

"Really? You know you can—"

 

"Oh, there he is!" Chaeyoung spotted a familiar guy, the guy was the who stopped him from beating up the bastard in the washroom yesterday. He just can't remember his name. "Hey there!" Trying his luck, he quickly walked towards the guy who's currently unaware of his incoming presence.

 

The guy was just about to sit on his place was surprised when he suddenly appeared. He tapped the guy's shoulder gesturing him to play along as he sat on the other side of the table. 

 

"You're with Jeongyeon?" He didn't noticed that Nayeon followed him.

 

'So, it's Jeongyeon. Now, I remember.' "Y-Yeah. I'm with him. He secretly eyed at Jeongyeon to signal him something. "Right, Jeongyeon... oppa?"  

 

Jeongyeon was startled, he stares at him in confusion. 

 

', just play along with it dude!'  

 

“Y-Yeah, right..." he nodded before shifting his attention to Nayeon. "...S-She's a new friend of mine."

 

Nayeon eyes look back and forth to Chaeyoung and Jeongyeon before it was finally fixed to him. "Why spend your time with this Ostrich? He's boring." He saw Jeongyeon frowned hearing the latter. "It'll be more fun if you join us."

 

"Yah, Bunny. Let her be—" 

 

"Shut up, Ostrich. I'm not talking to you.”

 

He saw the corner of Jeongyeon’s lips twitched and was about to say something when he interrupted. 

 

"Wait, wait there.” He said and place his meal on the table.

 

The two look at him simultaneously.

 

“You know guys, I haven’t eaten anything since this morning, so I’m really freaking hungry right now. So, if you excuse me, I’m gonna have my meal right here, right now.” He sat in front of the table and started devouring his meal.

 

Nayeon sighed in defeat with her eyes furrowed. "...Fine. But I’ll leave you a warning, Jaeyoung. You shouldn't really get close to this guy..." She pointed at Jeongyeon who sat on the other side of the table. "...This guy is crazy."  She said rolling her eyes before she turned around and finally left them in peace.

 

Chaeyoung sighed and leaned his back comfortably on his seat. 'Finally!'  

 

Though that Nayeon girl shares the same name as his older sister there is such a huge difference between them. His older sister is a sole definition of sophistication while the other one seems to hold the name 'diva' under her belt.

 

"So, What was that about?" Jeongyeon curiously asked when the girl was finally out of their sight.

 

"That Nayeon girl keeps on insisting me to join her cheerleading squad." He massage his temple as he answer. 

 

"Tch. She's really like that. She'll do whatever it takes just to get what she wants." Jeongyeon slowly shook his head.

 

"Yeah, I can tell that."Chaeyoung nodded. "By the way, I haven't formally introduced myself to you yet. I'm Son Ch-Jaeyoung." He offered him a handshake which was immediately accepted by the guy. "Thanks for the help there. I already owe you twice now." He doesn't really like the guy's vibe at the first time they met, but he helped him twice now... And yeah, he's not an angel and all but he does know how to show a little gratitude. 

 

"Oh, it's nothing really." The guy said and smiled. 

 

"...But I still hate how you didn't let me beat up that guy yesterday."

 

Jeongyeon laughed in amusement. "You're really serious about that, huh?"

 

"Yes, I am." He nodded with a serious look on his face and continued eating his meal. "So, back to you. Why is she giving you that look?"

 

"Hm, Nayeon? What look?"

 

"That ex-girlfriend glare?"

 

Jeongyeon coughed on his sudden statement. "Ex-girlfriend glare?"

 

"Yeah. You know, when you and your girlfriend broke up and she thinks that all the blame is on you? You guys seems to have a history." 

 

"You got a point there, but nah... You see, she's just... she's just a competition."

 

"Competition?" Chaeyoung scoffed. "Well, good luck for trying to compete with a girl." He shook his head and opened his can of cola. 'This guy doesn't know what kind of trouble he's heading to."

 

"Jeongyeon, oppa!"

 

Chaeyoung look around and saw a girl approaching them. "So, that's the girlfriend?"

 

"Sly, no. She's my best friend and actually the students council secretary, my secretary."

 

"Hi, Jeongyeon's best friend and student council secretary—his secretary." He greeted emphasizing the latter as the girl approached them.

 

"Oh... hi there." She greeted and smiled with curiosity. "I'm Minatozaki Sana. And you are..." 

 

"I'm Son Jaeyoung by the way, Jeongyeon's self-declared new found friend." He introduced himself as Sana sat besides Jeongyeon.

 

"And I'm Kim Dahyun. Nice to meet you too." Out of nowhere a guy with a tofu like skin suddenly appeared in front of him. The guy gave him a wink and offered him a handshake.

 

He was disgusted and speechless for a moment before he accepted the offer. Afterwards, the guy decided to sit besides him. 

 

"Sorry, his Dahyun, my other best friend." Jeongyeon finally introduced the guy.

 

After introducing themselves to one another they enjoyed devouring their meal together as Chaeyoung got to know his 'new acquaintances'. He learned that Sana and Jeongyeon are both in their last year from the engineering department, they were best friends since their childhood and they met Dahyun and befriended him on their junior days.

 

"So, we're in the same class. This is cool! We can hangout everyday!" Dahyun excitingly said as Chaeyoung mentioned his—his sister's class and department. Dahyun was supposed to be in his second year now but he shifted course just like his twin sister.

 

"Really? I didn't saw you in any class that I attended this morning."

 

"Well... I wasn't really there, I just came and—"

 

"You were drank last night, aren't you?!" Without even waiting for Dahyun to answer, Jeongyeon reached him and hit his head with the chopsticks on his hand.

 

"Ouch!" Dahyun whined. "What's the matter? I'm just enjoying my life here, hyung!"

 

"Yeah, and that life of yours will end up soon with all that alcohol you already consumed inside your body." Sana added.

 

"We don't know about that guys." Chaeyoung interrupted as he took a sip of his cola. "Life is really unpredictable. Dahyun might be right, we need to enjoy our life to live it to the fullest." 

 

"That's what I'm talking about!" Dahyun gave him a smile as his eyebrows went up and down.

 

Jeongyeon on the other hand shook his head. "You live the life to the fullest, if you live it the right way." 

 

"Nah," Chaeyoung disagreed and rest his elbows on the table. "You don't have to do it the right way. You'll live the life to its fullest if you know where or to whom you're gonna spend you whole—

 

"Guys, sorry I'm late."

 

"—life with." A sudden soft familiar voice interrupted what he's about to say.

 

Chaeyoung's eyes widened. 'Damn, she's here.' He doesn't have to turn his head to see who's the owner of that voice was. 

 

"Hey, guys." The girl greeted her friends and sat down on the solo chair between him and Jeongyeon before she finally noticed his presence. "Oh, Jaeyoung you're here."

 

'Just act as planned and just avoid talking to her, or just avoid her at all!' He remembered what his sister told him.

 

"You knew each other?" Sana asked.

 

She nodded. “We're actually roommates. Right, Jaeyoung?"

 

"Y-Yeah." Chaeyoung answered as he tried to cover his face with his left hand.

 

"So, how did you guys met Jaeyoung?"

 

Jeongyeon was the one who explained everything as they continue their meal together. Sana also mentioned that Mina is her cousin who's apparently in her second year in college now.

 

On the other side, Chaeyoung was feeling uneasy on his seat. He can see from his peripheral vision that Mina keeps on glancing at him. He's a little anxious right now. He knows Mina, she's a genius. It's not impossible if she'll recognized him if she keep on staring at him like that for too long. 

 

"Mina, there's something on your face." Jeongyeon suddenly stated pointing his index finger on his lips. 

 

Chaeyoung eyes shifted to see the said ketchup on the girl's lips.

 

"Oh okay." Mina tried to remove it with a tissue but wiped it on the wrong side.

 

"Here." Jeongyeon chuckled and removed the ketchup on her right corner lips with his thumb then patted Mina's head afterwards. “You're really childish when it comes to your favorite ketchup."

 

'Aish! How could this guy touch her just like that!' Trying not to show his irritation, Chaeyoung just averted his eyes from the scene and suddenly drink his can of cola. 

 

"By the way, Mina. Someone want me to give you this." He heard Sana said.

 

While he's trying to busy himself on his food his eyes curiously move to see the fancy blue box that Sana was giving to Mina.

 

"Who's that from?" Jeongyeon asked.

 

"The usual. Her persistent suitor."

 

His eyebrows automatically scowled as he heard the latter. 'Suitor!? And who the hell is that guy now?!'

 

"The guy has been courting you for almost a month now. Aren't you gonna give him a chance?"  Sana asked in excitement.

 

Chaeyoung shifted his look at Mina waiting for her answer. 'No, no, no! It should be a no, Minari!’ he wanted to scream out.

 

"We all know Mina, she never gave anyone a chance. We're just only counting days before she dump him." Dahyun stated before Mina can answer.

 

'That's good to hear then.'

 

"But we've been friends for years now Mina and I had never seen or heard you dating anyone." Jeongyeon said and leaned his elbows on the table. "I wonder if you have ever tried dating anyone before?"

 

'Yes, of course! She dated me before!' Chaeyoung wanted to answer.

 

"No." 

 

In an instant Chaeyoung turned his head to Mina who's now busy eating her meal. 'What the hell is she talking about?!'

 

"Never been in love?" Jeongyeon added.

 

In his surprise, Mina quickly shook her head and just gave them a smile for an answer.

 

Chaeyoung stares at Mina in confusion. 

 

He knows that Mina was still mad at him and that she will more likely to strangle him if she figured out his disguise right now but he just can't understand right now why would she deny his existence in her life just like that? It's making him crazy.

 

"You should try it Mina..." Chaeyoung blurted all of the sudden.

 

Mina then look at Chaeyoung and meet his stares. Everyone's attention on the table was on him.

 

 "...Try to fall in love. It's the best feeling in the world...” Chaeyoung forced a smile trying to hide the frustration he's feeling right now before he continued. “..it's... it's the the best risk you'll ever take."

 

Mina’s eyes suddenly moved restlessly so she averted her eyes away from him. She tried regaining herself by smiling and turning her attention back to her meal.

 

Unaware, Chaeyoung remains staring at the girl. 'You really hate me this much, huh, Minari?’

 

"That's a nice suggestion, Jaeyoung. You should definitely try it, Mina." Dahyun said in a sudden that broke Chaeyoung's gaze to the girl. 

 

"That also goes for you, stupid. Try to fall in love, don't just go and play around with girls heart." Jeongyeon said.

 

Dahyun was about to say something when he interrupted. "Guys, I have to go now." Chaeyoung said. "I just remember that I still have something to do in the library." He smiled as he excuse himself.

 

"We'll just see each other later in class then." Dahyun said and waved his hand

 

”And we’re still going to hang out, right?” Jeongyeon added.

 

"Y-Yeah, of course." He nodded and then took a last glance to Mina before he finally bid a goodbye to his new friends. "It's really nice meeting you guys."

 

 

-

 

 

"Mina what was that?" Sana asked Mina as they entered the girl's washroom.

 

"Huh? What do you mean?" Mina look at her cousin who's staring at her on the reflection on the mirror.

 

"Earlier, you just lied to our friends."

 

"I...I want to forget him..." Mina looked away from her cousin. "...I want to completely erase him in my memory."

 

"Mina, I know you're not really the type of person who likes sharing her personal feelings to others... but you're just lying to yourself...” Sana sighed as she held her cousin's shoulders. “Look Mina, forgetting and denying are two different things." 

 

Mina sighed. Sana got a point. Is she really doing the right way to forget the guy who at the same time gave her so much joy and pain to remember?

 

"Jaeyoung is right. Try to fall in love again and take the risk to find that right person for you." Sana suddenly hugged her tight. ”Onee-chan, just want to see you happy, you know.”

 

She bit her lower lip and closed her eyes as she hugged back.

 

Yes, She had mentioned to her cousin about Chaeyoung but she haven't told her everything about him, that includes not telling her that her new roommate is the twin sister of the guy who just broke her heart into pieces—that the face of the one suggesting her to fall in love is the one who’s reminding her not to.

 

Will she really be able to take that risk and fall in love again?

 

 

-

 

 

©️kgi_story