The End and New Beginnings

Fate Reconsidered

                In the end, Nowhere was almost everything they could have hoped for. Of course they were nervous about meeting new people, especially since Sunny seemed to have disappeared after that evening. But true to her words, the locals were indeed friendly enough. As promised, there were demons and angels, but there were also a couple humans – Gunwoo hadn’t realized they’d managed to make it into space yet, but it had been a couple hundred years for them since the last time he was there. He was pretty sure there were a couple Khaos and Celestial beings, ironically enough, and even some of those new Alium people he’d seen just before jumping into the black hole. Here, they had no suits and, while humanoid, they seemed more lizard like in appearance, with flatter faces and more arms. And there were others they didn’t know but were certainly curious about.

                Strangely, despite being of different races, everyone was easy to understand. Gunwoo suspected it was microunitranscoordinator but he also figured it could have been something to do with this place and the field generators. Or really just the planet. Nowhere seemed synonymous for the city and the island and the world itself so it rather simplified things. Their stories abounded too, from the slightly familiar forbidden love excuse, to mortal wounds or illnesses, to unwanted or unloved children, to desperately wishing for a home away from the fighting (that from one of the Khaos members).

                All had found an answer here. And if they’d been hurt or sick, they’d also been healed in the process. It either had something to do with going through the black hole itself or the planet. For Gunwoo and Changmin, it was still too early to say. Their story was also easy enough to give, though neither was quite ready to admit to the whole pregnancy thing. That would come out in time after all. One way or another. But at least Nowhere had people of many various skills and buildings with many purposes. Some had been here long enough to have children of their own and so there were what amounted to schools, and though shopping centers weren’t a thing, they could find clothes or supplies or most any general items they needed without too much trouble.

                Settling was easier than either thought it would be too. They were fine with the house Sunny had showed them to. And they were happy enough getting to know the people in the area. Gunwoo and Changmin did make forays outside just to test their freedom and continue exploring, but when the weather started to turn cold and no one said anything other than to be careful, they were beginning to realize they really were welcome and free to do what they wished.

                Over the coming weeks and moon cycles, Gunwoo and Changmin just lived as a part of something. Free to love each other and free from their pasts, they found acceptance and purpose in a way neither had been able to before. And when Gunwoo finally started to show around the fifth moon cycle, many knowing looks were exchanged to laugh about the reason for his sometimes unpredictable behavior and Changmin’s harried appearance at times. He was obliged to explain how it was possible for him to become pregnant, which he had no good answer for, but the community took it in stride and treated him the same as any other pregnant mothers. It gave Changmin a much needed break from time to time.

                And though he’d seen Hyosung deal with pregnancy before, experiencing it was something else entirely. Unfamiliar aches and pains, mood swings he couldn’t control, weird cravings and aversions, fatigue, headaches… his symptoms ran the gamut. At least he wasn’t sick in the mornings anymore. But then when the baby got big enough, there were kicks and weird pressures and oh cosmos he had to pee so bloody often… And his feet and back hurt. A lot. Plus he was sensitive – overly so in body and mind – and he didn’t want Changmin to touch him but then he wanted to be held and it was incredibly frustrating.

                A few more moon cycles and he was more than ready for it to be over. Winter had come and gone and they were moving through a spring like season that was beautiful but also growing warm. And he was glad it was almost time, but the closer it got, the more nervous he became as well. He knew giving birth in any natural form hurt and they didn’t seem to have a hospital or technology meant specifically for this so it seemed as if that was his future plan. At least most of everyone else seemed excited for him. He’d been given a plethora of care packages for getting ready to take care of a baby. Though some of them had different requirements, in many cases, babies all needed similar things so clothes, wrappings, teething stuff, toys, and the like filled their home well before they were needed.

                At least they’d picked out names for the baby. Yugyeom if it was a boy and Yoona if it was a girl. “Ow!” Gunwoo grumbled with a hand against his swollen belly. “The baby’s kicking,” he laughed in amused apology with a glance at Changmin.

                “I can see,” he agreed, watching a little hand or foot move beneath the skin. That was still a little strange to both of them, but the feeling was almost magical. Being able to actually feel this little life they’d created moving before they could see it or hold it. “How you holding up, love?” he asked, moving closer on the bed to grab the nearest foot and carefully start massaging it with gentle fingers.

                Gunwoo sighed in relief. His feet always seemed to ache nowadays. “So ready for him or her to be born already,” he laughed, rubbing his palms over his belly again, expression thoughtful. “Soon.”

                “Just a bit longer,” Changmin agreed, patting the top of the foot he was holding before resuming his ministrations.

                “Can’t come soon enough,” Gunwoo sighed with a wan smile, grateful beyond measure to the angel sitting across from him.

                Only when the moment did come, it was entirely too soon – literally – and he wasn’t ready at all.

                “Minnie!” he gasped, waking from a dead sleep by painful spasms in his stomach.

                Surprised and disoriented, Changmin sat up just as quickly and mumbled, “What’s wrong?”

                “Pretty sure the baby’s coming,” Gunwoo exhaled through his teeth, feeling panic and excitement both.

                “Now?” his lover asked, briefly confused.

                “Now,” Gunwoo nodded, shifting awkwardly to get to his feet. Some of the other mothers had reminded him that walking around during this time seemed to help and he could use it.

                Changmin yelped in a similarly panicked sound and got up, hovering at once and then pacing before wondering, “What should I do?”

                “Go get someone to help?” the in pain angel suggested with a hiss, shuffling around like a decrepit old man, one hand on his stomach and the other on his back. This was miserable…

                “Got it!” he said, starting to run before he stopped and came back. “I shouldn’t leave you alone…”

                “Go Minnie!” Gunwoo commanded without looking up. He loved the angel but they were both out of their element here. Especially since the baby was early.

                “Right!” he yelped again, this time leaving for sure.

                He returned in much less time than Gunwoo thought he would. Even more surprising, he was guiding Sunny over. “Found someone!” Changmin announced, panic still making his voice high, but at least the shorter woman was familiar.

                “You’re back,” Gunwoo gulped in surprise, blinking at the heretofore missing person.

                “It’s easy enough to find me when I’m needed,” she promised, her dark eyes practically twinkling. That could have been because of what looked like stars in her eyes but he was too distracted to really focus on that.

                Gunwoo just shook his head and tried to take another breath, stopping when the pain took it away. “It’s early,” he exhaled tightly.

                “I should hope so,” she murmured, stepping close to him expertly as she started to shepherd him around the room, her presence calm and confident. “A full term for you could be quite bad,” she cautioned, face focused as it seemed as if she was listening or looking for something. At the confused looks she got in response, she snorted, “You don’t exactly have a body made for delivering children.”

                “I know that!” Gunwoo wailed, panic trying to creep in. It was one of his biggest fears in point of fact…

                “So what do we do?” Changmin asked, still hovering with no real purpose.

                “Wait and let nature take its course,” she encouraged, reaching out to pat him on the shoulder comfortingly. “It will be alright. I promise you. Though it will hurt,” she added with a significant look at Gunwoo.

                He had already figured that much… And he was going to say it but another contraction stole his words and he subsided into focusing on breathing and holding onto Sunny and Changmin’s hands as they walked him around the room. It felt like an eternity of walking and hurting and waiting before he became aware of a new feeling. It effectively translated to: now, but it hurt. A lot. And he doubled over in pain with a muted cry.

                “Woo!” Changmin cried, looking suddenly fearful.

                “Easy,” Sunny soothed, helping guide Gunwoo near the bed so he could lean forward against the wall. No. He couldn’t lie down. He didn’t have a woman’s body to allow that. “Yes. You still have to push though.” Fists clenched, teeth bared, Gunwoo hung his head and prepared for a different kind of fight. At least Changmin was there…

                Agony. That was what childbirth amounted to. Just waves of what felt like endless agony as he fought to push something that was larger than anything his body should have had to deal with out. And by the time he finally succeeded with a gasping, pained, but relieved cry, he wanted to collapse then and there. Especially to see the squalling tiny creature he knew was there, but with impossible excitement and dread, he realized just as quickly it wasn’t over.

                “Oh cosmos,” he groaned, feeling everything hurt and exhaustion a mountain on his shoulders.

                “Another one?” he heard Changmin ask in stunned confusion.

                “Twins,” Sunny confirmed, still lingering close to Gunwoo. “Almost done. You can do it,” she encouraged, her hands resting gently against his waist, giving him what strength and comfort she could.

                By the time he finally managed to push the second baby free, Gunwoo felt like he was little more than a used up husk of himself. Weary beyond belief and feeling boneless, he managed little more than a controlled fall onto the waiting bed beside him, feeling everything just hurt…

                “Changmin. Heal him,” Sunny encouraged as she swaddled the second baby with a tender smile. “He won’t be able to himself for a while.”

                “Woo!” Changmin gasped, immediately moving close to gather the exhausted Gunwoo in his arms.

                Soothing, tingling energy caressed his body and roused him from his pain numbed stupor enough to look around. Twins. Of course the impossible would happen again. Probably no thanks to Changmin but he didn’t have the energy to say it. Or the will to be fair. “Our babies,” he whispered, staring at the one in Sunny’s arms and then the other at the foot of the bed, already swaddled and just waiting to be held.

                “Yeah. You did good, love,” Changmin promised, kissing Gunwoo’s sweaty head gratefully.

                “Here,” Sunny smiled, carefully handing off the second child before she went to give them the first as well. “A boy and a girl,” she beamed, giving Changmin the first son.

                “They’re beautiful,” Gunwoo whispered, still tired and hurt and wishing he hadn’t just done that – twice especially, but already so very in love with the tiny child in his arms.

                “They’re perfect,” Changmin added, cradling their son close while adjusting to be as close to Gunwoo as possible. “Hey,” he cooed, just beaming with quiet pride. “I’m your daddy,” he whispered to the barely open eyes and awkwardly waving fists.

                “Me too, little girl,” Gunwoo sighed, gently grabbing a tiny fist between his fingers and holding tight.

                “Have you thought of names for them?” Sunny asked, standing close enough to be supportive but far enough away to give them space.

                “Yes,” Gunwoo nodded, looking to Changmin to deliver them.

                “Yugyeom and Yoona,” he smiled, kissing Yugyeom’s head so very carefully.

                “Good names indeed,” Sunny smiled, nodding her head once. “You should be alright now, but if you need help again, just let me know,” she promised with a small wave. “I will be around if I’m needed.”

                “Thank you, Sunny,” Gunwoo murmured, his voice hoarse and little more than a whisper, but enough.

                “You’re welcome,” she replied, bowing slightly before stepping out, leaving Gunwoo and Changmin alone with their new children.

                Parenthood suited them – and the community – as a whole. Though they hadn’t expected twins and it left them both far more tired and unprepared than they originally thought, they both knew they wouldn’t trade it for anything. Getting back to normal for Gunwoo took a bit longer as well, and he certainly didn’t have as much energy as before. But where he couldn’t keep up, Changmin could.

                A few weeks after having them, Gunwoo was just resting in the shade of a tree, watching over the napping Yugyeom while Changmin walked around with a cooing Yoona in his arms. He followed the taller anger with his eyes and felt peace and contentment settle over him like a fire warmed blanket. Around their children, Changmin’s face transformed to one of wonder and joy and laughter. No worries could touch him and he had nothing but love for the little girl in his hands just then, making faces at her as she giggled and waved her hand. Her wings were pinned under body but the tiny white appendages were getting stronger day by day too. She got practice when they put her on her stomach after all.

                Gunwoo could just about nap to his heart’s content. He was about to close his eyes when he thought he felt something beside him. Glancing over, he wasn’t surprised when he saw Sunny standing an arm’s length away, her eyes watching Changmin too. He knew she was waiting for him to speak though. “Hello again,” he smiled, feeling a sense of indebtedness to the woman nearby. As if she could read him like an open book, one corner of tilted up and he was almost certain about what she was in that moment.

                “Hello, Gunwoo,” she smiled, turning the weight of her serene gaze on him. “Are you recovering well?” she wondered, the question sincere.

                “Well enough. I had no idea having children was quite so… draining,” he admitted with a small frown. He couldn’t remember if Hyosung had mentioned feeling this way or not either.

                “Of course. What did you expect when you were creating cosmos touched beings within your body?” she laughed, the sound light and beautiful.

                He nodded in silent agreement and just looked at her for a long moment. She let him, holding her silence until he was ready. “You’re a Discoverer aren’t you?” he finally theorized aloud. Her eyes were not always dancing with galaxies but he knew what he’d seen before. Or thought he had.

                “What tipped you off?” she grinned without looking at him, still watching Changmin.

                Maybe the eyes, but really… “Stories,” he answered with a nod.

                She seemed a bit surprised by the response and turned to look at him then. “Oh?”

                “When you first found us, you mentioned our story. Hope said something about stories too,” Gunwoo shrugged. “I found it hard to believe that was mere coincidence.”

                Sunny laugned lightly and nodded. “Yes indeed. When you’ve been around as long as we have, stories… old stories, new stories, stories with a twist… they become a treasure in their own right. Your story is not unique but unusual and therefore, quite interesting.”

                “I imagine,” he scoffed, rolling his eyes. Until now, he hadn’t really been that proud of his story, but with what he and Changmin now had… he was beginning to think differently. “I find it interesting that you have this little pet project of yours out here,” he couldn’t help but laugh. They were all beings of such inconsequential power in comparison to a Discoverer that it only seemed possible to compare them to pets. “What does Alpha Prime think about it?” he wondered, watching her to see how she’d react. He was pretty sure Alpha Prime had to know but he was curious.

                She just looked at him in response with a bemused expression. When it didn’t dawn yet, she raised one brow and then it clicked for Gunwoo.

                “You’re Alpha Prime?” he asked in astonishment. Granted, all the Discoverers were not what he’d expected but this one…

                Alpha Prime wrinkled her nose and giggled. “I like the reactions I get when people find out,” she explained with a wink. "Centuries of existence and development and everyone is still surprised to see Alpha Prime as this,” she gestured at her person and then shrugged. “It’s… fun.”

                “Huh.”

                “Come now,” she laughed once, stepping close to place a comforting hand on his shoulder. “Myungsoo always felt bad for what happened with you. And Jinyoung regretted that one’s circumstances. It is our policy not to directly interfere, but… when opportunities arise for ones such as you to make your own future, we like to… lend a hand when we can,” she explained with a grin. “Not a game,” she assured him. “We just… like seeing where the stories go. How they twist and turn and change and eventually end.”

                “So… the black hole…”

                “Completely normal,” she assured him. “But when there’s enough hope or conviction or a desire for something to change, that much cosmic energy leaves a lot of options open.”

                “Like…” Gunwoo trailed off, gesturing meaningfully at the baby near him.

                “Exactly.”

                “Ah.”

                “Gunwoo,” she murmured softly, her fingertips tightening just a touch. “Would you like to know about them? From your old life?” she offered, the galaxies in her eyes this time.

                He took short breath and had to think about it for a moment. There were days that he missed his old family, but they were and far between. He really had said his goodbyes and meant them the last time he’d seen them. But… “Are they happy?” he wondered. He didn’t need details or any specifics. Just that.

                Sunny’s face turned thoughtful and she mulled over what she knew. Eventually, she nodded. “I think they will be. Some are and some are still adjusting, but in time, I believe they will all find their happiness too.”

                That was enough for him. That was all he ever really wanted for them. And especially Hyosung who he had not treated fairly at all. With a small frown, he banished the thought, focusing on the now instead. “So. What’s next then?” he asked, glancing at her out of the corner of his eye.

                “That’s up to you. The future is yours from here,” she explained simply. “Live out your life here. Explore. Decide to leave. Nowhere or the universe awaits. As I said before, this is not a prison.”

                “But a haven,” he sighed in contentment, looking up to see Changmin watching them, holding Yoona so she could see too.

                “For as long as you need or want.”

                Gunwoo gave a lazy wave in their direction and they waved back, with Changmin waving Yoona’s hand for her. “Thank you, Sunny,” he murmured sincerely, turning to look at her once more.

                “You are welcome, former Grand Prince Gunwoo,” she said with a straight face, even managing a bow before her façade broke and she giggled. “Well. I’m off, but I’m sure you’ll see me again. Enjoy your life, Gunwoo. I’m curious to see where your story will take you from here.”

                “You and me both,” he agreed with a nod, actually eager for the prospect. As Sunny stepped away, Yugyeom started to come around and cry. “Oh! Look who’s waking up,” Gunwoo cooed as he retrieved his son from the basket and fished out a bottle one of the other nursing mothers had prepared for him. The boy’s cries fell silent as he led happily. “Let’s go say hi to your other daddy, yeah?” he asked, glancing up at Changmin who wandered close at the same time.

                “Hey,” Changmin greeted, leaning forward to kiss Gunwoo over the baby.

                “Hey yourself,” he responded, grinning at the welcome affection.

                “Have a good talk?” he wondered, absently looking for Sunny.

                “Quite. And I’ve a story to tell you too,” he winked, pausing to make a face at Yoona before she giggled and pat at his mouth.

                “I look forward to hearing it,” Changmin hummed, reaching down to caress Yugyeom’s head with a tender smile.

                “Good,” Gunwoo smiled, leaning against Changmin’s side contentedly, his head resting on the taller shoulder. It hadn’t been easy, but it had been worth it. Everything. All they could do now was live for themselves and see where that path took them.

                For several more weeks, it literally took them no further than general exhaustion and moments of genuine contentment. But eventually, as the kids started sleeping more soundly and shifting to more solid foods, their energy began to return and life took on other colors once again. Ready for a break, a couple of their neighbors were more than happy enough to watch the children for a night or two and Gunwoo and Changmin found they could finally start to connect again. For the past several months, it had been nothing but focusing on getting ready for the kids, then having the kids, then learning to live with the kids.

                New found date nights were wonderful again. Time where they could just be with each other and not have to worry about the kids. They loved them dearly but there were some things an angel just missed from time to time. Making love without the shadow of exhaustion and the threat of interruption was one of those things. But…

                The children were several months old and fully capable of crawling around at will. While they couldn’t fly yet, or anywhere near it, they were getting used to using their wings. They’d learn to walk first before flight ever became possible so they had some time. But with them being incredibly active, that also meant they could be a bit difficult to corral for breakfast as well.

                “Yugyeom!” Gunwoo yelped, reaching down to snag the baby up from under Changmin’s feet.

                “Thanks,” he laughed, looking around for their daughter distractedly as he got ready to put the meat in the pan.

                “I’ll find her,” Gunwoo laughed, wandering away to peer around for Yoona who often liked to hide under things. He had just found her under their bed when he smelled the ground meat cooking in the pan. “Uh oh,” he gasped, quickly setting Yugyeom down as he dashed for the bathroom with a hand over his mouth.

                “Woo?” Changmin called after a moment when he didn’t see or hear anything from his lover in what seemed a suspicious amount of time.

                “Minnie!” Gunwoo grumbled, stalking into the kitchen with Yugyeom in one arm and Yoona in the other.

                “What?” he asked in surprise, not sure what he did yet.

                “Don’t tell me you did it to me again,” he grumbled with a mix of laughter and slight panic.

                “What?” Changmin asked again even more confused.

                “Morning sickness,” Gunwoo explained in a deadpan tone, halfheartedly glaring at the taller angel.

                “Oh love,” Changmin sighed, laughing but shaking his head sympathetically. He took the food off the burner and moved close to help relieve Gunwoo of Yugyeom this time. “I guess we’ll have to be more careful next time?” he shrugged, not sure what to say now.

                “How many kids did you want?” Gunwoo asked, head tilting to the side. Changmin ducked his head with a slight flush and held up four fingers. “Four?!”

                “I liked the idea of a big family,” he admitted, a hesitant but happy smile spreading across his face.

                “Oh boy,” he sighed, laughing because there wasn’t much else he could do. “Next time I’ll ask Sunny about it. See if maybe you can have a turn,” he snorted, bouncing Yoona when she started to get a bit fussy,

                “We’ll figure it out, Woo,” Changmin promised, coming close to kiss him on the forehead. “We always do.”

                “Yeah, yeah,” Gunwoo waved off, turning away to do… he didn’t know. Turning back, he thought of something better. Rising up on his toes, he kissed Changmin firmly on the lips, smiling hard when Yoona laughed and clapped. “We do,” he agreed, staring into Changmin’s eyes happily.

                If he could handle the first pregnancy, he could handle another. After that, they really would see. But he was certain he wouldn’t be bored or disappointed with his future story. As fate would have it, he’d been given a second chance and he intended to experience it to the fullest. By the look in Changmin’s eyes, he knew the love of his life felt the same way too.