Awake

Page 0
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“And ― cut! Everyone, it’s a wrap!”

A horde of production staffs emerged from behind the camera as soon as the filming ended. They scurried about the set like busy ants working on their colony as they cleaned up. Because they had to shoot extra sequences for next week’s third anniversary episode, filming went on longer than expected and by the time they had finished, it was already fifteen minutes passed nine.

Despite working all day with little to no rest (plus, constantly getting yelled at by the PD), everyone took the time to exchange gratitude and bows as they welcome yet another year for the show. It had been renewed for another season due to high demands and its successful ratings, and Eunwoo was all high of pride to be a part of it. He joined in the festivities, and was all smiles and sunshine until he got back to the dressing room and opened his phone.

            Chanyeol: So how was dinner? Were you guys able to catch up? Are you guys like okay now or what?

 What dinner?

He knitted his brows and tilted his head. His eyes hurled up the ceiling as if there was a big canvas that had the answer to his question conveniently plastered like a billboard advertisement. Dinner, he thought. Mr. Song Minhee, a potential investor whom Eunwoo had prior engagements with, rescheduled their meeting to next week so it wouldn’t be him. If Chanyeol meant his upcoming dinner with Seungwan then that isn’t until tomorrow either. He specifically told the former to make dinner reservations at a restaurant called Jihwaja for the 25th and today is the 24th.

So what was Chanyeol referring to when he asked how was dinner? Did he mean the after party? But he also said something about catching up. Maybe I forgot something?

Questions started popping in Eunwoo’s head as he went through his schedule again. He felt anxious and scared all of a sudden. Chanyeol was never known to be a bearer of good news and Eunwoo was always on his guard because of that. Take for example the time Eunwoo went on a solo fishing trip to Busan. He had boarded a small boat and was a kilometer away from the harbor, enjoying a quiet time fishing with the local folks there, when Chanyeol suddenly called and told him he needed to hurry home because his dad got admitted to the hospital. Or that time Eunwoo was on a vacation in Japan and got a text from Chanyeol apologizing because he got into a small (thankfully) accident with Eunwoo’s car.

Eunwoo bit his right thumb and wrote back.

            Eunwoo: What do you mean dinner? With whom? I just finished shooting. We’ll be heading out for the after party in a bit.

            Chanyeol: Wait, didn’t you have dinner with Seungwan?

Reading Chanyeol’s text put Eunwoo into state of trance. It took a while for the whole situation to sink in and he had to double-take (quintuple if he actually accounted) his vague memory of this morning to confirm his suspicions ― Chanyeol got the dates mixed up.

Chanyeol probably realized it too because the next minute Eunwoo’s phone was pimping with text and calls.

            Chanyeol: Oh, …

            Chanyeol: Oh, !

            Chanyeol: , I screwed up big time!

            Chanyeol: , Seungwan’s going to kill me!

            Chanyeol: No, you’re going to kill me!

            Chanyeol: Eunwoo, are you still there?!

            Chanyeol: Cha Eunwoo, pick up the damn phone!

Eunwoo’s eyes widened with dread. He jolted up, feeling adrenaline rush to his veins as he gathered his belongings. He quickly got out of the dressing room and, with a look of horror on his face, ran to the exit. Judging eyes and furtive whispers followed him like a shadow but he couldn’t care less. He was in quite a serious predicament and it wasn’t the time to be conscious about what people thought of him. Not that he was the conscious type anyway.

He pulled the breaks on his shoes when a hand suddenly grabbed him from behind. He turned around to see who it was. “Sojung―”

“Where are you going? What about the after party?”

“I need to go somewhere. I’ll call you later, okay?” Eunwoo reassured, squeezing her hand before letting go and dashing off again.

"Wait, Eunwoo!" Sojung was left utterly baffled. She has never seen Eunwoo like this before. She has always thought he was more of a laid-back and easy going person. To see him look opposite of that made her realize she has yet to see all of him, and it only brought an even bigger wave of fascination for him.

 

Time runs fast when you’re late but slow when you wait. Time waits for no one and does not go back for anyone. People are bound by this reality yet Eunwoo wished so badly that it was the other way around. He slammed the steering wheel and cursed under his breath, messaging his temples as he waited for the traffic light to go green again. Thoughts of Seungwan kept flooding in and all he could do was stare at it and will it to say go. Obviously it was a futile thing to do (reality also means you can’t have super powers) and it made him feel even more hopeless.

On top of being stuck in Gwanghwamun, apparently Eunwoo had to take a different route to Jahamun-ro because road maintenance had commenced from Jeokseon-dong to Hyoja-dong. He had given up on traffic a long time ago but this time he was gritting his teeth like there was no tomorrow.

What was he hurrying for anyway? The restaurant would be closing in twenty-five minutes. Seungwan probably went home a long time ago heck, she might not have gone at all. Why would she? It’s not like they’re anything to each other anymore, and they’re not exactly on speaking terms either. And the fact that they met again as contractor and contractee only made them all the more awkward.

But what if she did go? What if she was still waiting? Seungwan was always true to her words. She never stood anyone up nor did she ever go back on a promise. She was the type to see through everything whether it would be for business or personal matters. And Eunwoo felt guilty thinking otherwise.

Decided, he stomped on the accelerator and sped off to Jahamun-ro in record time. He had to park a few blocks away from the restaurant because the streets were still busy, and he couldn’t afford to wait any longer. He ran as fast as he could. His steps grew heavier and longer as he did. It didn’t matter whether he was sweating nonstop nor did it matter if his feet hurt. All he could think about was making it to the restaurant as soon as possible.

By the time Eunwoo arrived, Seungwan was already standing atop the stair case by the entrance. When their gazes met, she didn’t bat an eye and she made no sound. Her face somehow lacked mobility and there was no life in her eyes. A few more minutes and she was down, looking directly in his eyes still.

Eunwoo could feel tension in her words as she said, “Whatever the case, you still arrived. But I don’t really care if you hadn’t either. Anyway, I know why you called me out today. And yes, I agree. Let’s keep things professional from here on out. The past should be left in the past, right? Otherwise working together will be an impossible feat and I don’t go back on my words. Don’t worry, we will do our utmost best to finish the restaurant so I thank you for giving us this opportunity.”

Her words were littered with disappointment. It told him of sadness in her heart, unspoken, hidden. It was as obvious as the waning moon, as real as the cloudy skies. The feeling flowed through them, and all he could do was smile and return the gesture when she offered her hand for a shake.

They say you only regret the things you didn't do, and Eunwoo learned this the hard way. In the end he had no right to blame anyone (not even Chanyeol who was still partly at fault for mistaking the dates) but himself. He should have just asked for her number instead. He should have just called or texted her himself. But he thought she would never answer his calls. He thought she wouldn't come if it was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter