Me after you I

Page 0
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There was a certain sparkle in Seungwan’s eyes that mirror years of ambition and a relentless pursue for approval. A lot of people found her passion and drive to succeed too much and too tiring. They always said she should pull the brakes once in a while, and that rest and self-care are just as important. But no one knew that to Seungwan, a halt is more than just resting or chilling out, it could mean wanting more and more of that safe place and she simply couldn't afford to entertain such mentality. Although she loathed failure and uncertainty, and throughout the years has had a fair share of them, she was nowhere near weary of climbing what they call society’s superficial pyramid. Seungwan didn't want any setbacks. Not today. Not ever.

It had been a grueling six months since Son Seungwan left Build Works to establish her own firm, Empire Builders. Although she couldn’t leave with her treasured Salt Oak office desk and leather revolving chair, she did however take three members of Team 7 and a trusted liaison with her.

The exhaustion of working in the same environment for years made Seungwan feel like an Eagle trapped in a sanctuary. Sure she was financially stable and had her work cut out for her but she felt too boxed up, and was beginning to get sick of the same old routine every single day. Working for one of South Korea’s leading construction firm could only do so much for her unyielding lust to reach the top.

Passing the resignation letter that she so meticulously wrote Seungwan thought, I’ve had enough working to help build someone else’s empire. It’s about time I build mine. She didn’t want to be scuffled by other people’s rules anymore. She didn’t want to continuously answer to the insatiable demands of some old geezer in the higher ranks either. She wanted to work on her own conditions and on her own terms.

This wasn’t the first time Seungwan has had a usual to almost berserk reflexes the moment she was dealt with the obscure feeling of normalcy. Last time she had convinced her then boss, Mr. Lee Sooman, to bid for a 700 million dollar Apartment Complex – a pretty bold and risky move for a company that had no experience in vertical construction projects – just because she was bored of supervising road maintenance and repairs. It was the very first multi-million project Build Works had snagged and because Seungwan played a big role in its success, she finally got her most anticipated promotion.

Back then Seungwan felt like David conquering Goliath. She was leaping her way to a successful career. While she got numerous scornful looks and threats from her jealous colleagues, she didn’t bat an eye because she was too hungry to prove her worth in the company and was intent on breaking the gender stereotype for females in the construction world. Seungwan was ecstatic and proud. Why not? She had finally broken out of the notion that a female can’t hold her own in the world of men. She was getting hated on but she absolutely loved it. It meant one way or another she had succeeded. As the saying goes, “Haters are your confirmation that you are doing something right.”

It didn’t take too long to burst Seungwan’s bubble however, because when she found out she had to share managerial control over the project with Oh Sehun, the newly hired Engineer who supposedly graduated from KAIST, she had her first mental breakdown. He was bossy, annoying, and had a slightly bigger salary than her and the fact that their boss thought he was worth more than she was made her head boil.

 

 

“Son Seungwan-” Sehun called out in a drunken fit. “Still remember those days when we used to argue which of us deserved the Employee of the Year title more? Or that time you gave a formal complaint letter to Boss Sooman asking for a raise?” He snorted and let out a big guffaw. “That was so hilarious! How’d you even do that? You must’ve been really jealous of me but then again, you still are!”

Seungwan rolled her eyes, chugging three glasses of soju in one go. She wasn’t sure how to feel or react (losing a bid for the nth time and all) but one thing was certain, she didn't like hearing Sehun make fun of her life decisions however stupid they are. “Yah, Oh Sehun! Shut your mouth or I’ll bury you alive! And to think I had a-”

“Now, now. Let’s not fight over the bygone days of our painful youth, okay?” Baekhyun cuts in. He slowly gripped both Seungwan and Sehun’s hands and continued, “There’s always a next time! Plus, weren’t we originally here to unwind? You know, keep our stress levels to a minimum? Let’s head over to the dance floor, shall we?!”

“Must be nice being able to stay positive in this kind of situation, Byun Baekhyun.” Kyungsoo commented. His eyes pirouetted from the amassed empty bottles of soju to the unfinished kimchi soup and potato chip crumbs lying morbidly on the table. He checked the time – 11:48 PM. They had been drinking since 1 o’clock in the afternoon and he was thoroughly convinced that at this point they have drunk a year’s worth of soju. “We should head home. We’re all drunk.”

Baekhyun queasily fished his phone from the insides of his pocket. He brought it a centimeter to his face and proceeded to squint his eyes- a desperate act to prove he was still somewhat sober. “But it’s still so early! Look, it’s still 8 o’clock!”

“You’re looking at it upside down though.” Kyungsoo pointed out. A tiny smirk escaped his lips. “Get it together, Byun Baekhyun. You’re drunk, not ignorant.”

“Sir Kyungsoo is right~ We should be heading home right now since we have a long day ahead of us. To my lovely boss, Madam Seungwan, to my beloved colleagues, Sir Kyungsoo and Sir Baekhyun, and to my beloved boyfriend Oh Sehun, fighting to us all!” Joohyun chirpily cheered, a quiet sign that she was well over her alcohol dosage.

“Yah, Bae Joohyun! Why do these three creeps get to be called your beloved and not me?!”

Kyungsoo massaged his temples. “Oh, God. Let’s go home.”

The ride to Seungwan’s apartment was quiet as usual. Bored but not drunk enough to pass out, she rolled down the car window and took in the spring breeze. She admired the cherry blossom’s light pink petals as they danced and flowed along with the greetings of the wind.  It had been so long since she has had the time to actually see the world through the eyes of a normal living human being. Not Build Works’ Director Son Seungwan, not Engineer Son Seungwan, not Empire Builder’s CEO Son Seungwan but just average drunk Korean citizen Son Seungwan.

Pretty. She thought. Wasn’t it this time of year, too? The day we met.

Seungwan pursed her lips and her mind started to wonder as she spotted a loving couple walking in the streets while holding hands. Her eyes became two pearl buttons of longing as she let out a sigh heavy enough for the taxi driver to notice. She closed the window and plumped back in her seat. Looking back, Seungwan wasn't so sure what exactly happened between her and Eunwoo. They met not so coincidentally because of their friends, dated for a few years, fought a few times and maybe even fell in love along the way but they never really agreed on anything. Come to think of it, more time was spent hurting and forgiving each other than in trying understanding one another. Their relationship was like an orchestra playing a chaotic harmony.

I’m sorry.

The town of Hallstatt was the beginning of the end for Seungwan and Eunwoo. Seungwan still remembers the picturesque view of the frozen lake by the window, the faint smell of lavender scented candles amidst the perfectly laid out rose petals, and the wonderful man whom had gotten to his knees that very moment.

I’m sorry.

Seungwan arrived home a quarter past twelve with her remaining consciousness in tow and a bag stained with alcohol and vomit. She changed out of her signature checkered blazer and slacks and lazily got into her favorite RJ themed pajamas from Line Friends. She eyed the pile of paper works on her desk that still

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter