waving through a window

THE KIMS

mina - 16

wendy - 38

jeongyeon - 37


The next time Jeongyeon saw Mina, well she didn't expect it to be in the police station.

It was a lazy tuesday afternoon, and Jeongyeon was just finishing up some paperwork at her desk. She rubbed her eyes, trying to focus on the mind numbingly boring work in front of her, making sure to fill out the correct lines and boxes. Her excitement came when yells starting filling up the bullpen, echoing back to her desk. It sounded like a woman probably middle aged, and she sounded angry.

She looked up to try and get a gauge on the situation, eyes widening at what laid before her. A very nervous Mina was sat on a chair, next to a very angry woman and her what Jeongyeon assumed to be a daughter looking smug next to her.

It was the first time she had seen Mina in nearly a year. The girl had gotten a bit taller, and her hair a bit longer. But she was still Mina.

It was reassuring to see that.

Her and Nayeon had been working endlessly to try and get Mina placed back with them, and were very nearly there. Just a few more weeks nefore they could place Mina back with them, when this was all over she would tell her. The girl would be happy to hear that.

"This little has been selling !" The woman yelled again, "And then she has the audacity to say it was my Rosie?!"

"But I- It wasn't me." Mina weakly protested, stopping the woman turned around to glare her down. Another man was sat next to her, looking equally pissed at Mina, a principal maybe?

Taeil, the officer taking care of them, looked slightly overwhelmed, trying to jot down all the information. The woman didn't stop, "You need to do something. Charge her with something."

Just as Jeongyeon was about to get up, the doors opened to the bullpen once again and Wendy jogged in. Still wearing her scrubs, seemingly had run out of the hospital when she got the call. She looked pissed as well, "what the hell is going on?"

"You're foster kid has been selling drugs at school-"

"I didn't!" Mina insisted again, getting spoken over by the principal this time.

"Miss.Son, we have made exceptions eith Mina's behavior before. But if this is true, we will have no choice but expelsion."

"I didn't do anything!"

"Do you have proof?" Wendy pressed, "Do you have any proof that Mina did this?"

"Ms.Roseanne had said so, she was caught with and said Mina sold it to her during last period."

"I don't see any proof in that."

"Ms Son- Given Mina's record, it isn't out of character to believe Ms.Park."

Jeongyeon watched as Mina opened to protest, before clamping it shut. Angry tears threatening to leak out as pure frustration started to set in. Because no one would listen to her, and they just assumed she was guilty because of her past. Sure she did get into a bit of trouble, and had been dragged to the police a few times. But they should just hear her out, give her the benefit of the doubt. Jeongyeon knew the girl enough to see that Mina was telling the truth, that her red face and clenched fists were clear indications that she was being wrong.

So Jeongyeon got up from her desk and took a step forwards.

The Wendy grabbed Mina's shoulders and made the girl look at her. She looked in her eyes, "Myoui Mina, look me in the eyes and tell me the truth. Did you do it?"

"I didn't do it Wendy." Mina whispered, almost pleading.

"Okay." And with that Wendy stood up, straightening out her posture as she faced the officer and the woman, "Mina didn't do it."

"Huh?"

"Mina doesn't lie, she didn't do it."

"Ma'am- But Ms.Park is alleging, we need to file a report-"

" what Ms.Park is alleging, look at the tapes. There has to be tapes from the hallways." Wendy declared, smiling triumphantly as all the color from Rosè's face drained away, replaced with a mortified expression. "How dare you drag my child here, without even looking at the tapes."

Jeongyeon watched as the Taeil made a quick call before pulling up something on his computer and turned it around. They watched the video;

"No, Wendy said you can't comeover later. It's girls night." Mina giggled, adjusting her phone to rest between her shoulder and her ear, "Dahyunnie, no. She's your aunt, be nice."

Before finally placing her books in her bag and slamming her locker shut, she spared a glance down the hallway. Rosè was talking to Jackson, both hushed and huddled near eachother. It looked a bit strange, but hey Mina wasn't there to judge. She just walked the other way down the hallway, a gentle smile on her face as she talked to her lover on the phone.

She didn't notice Jackson and Rosè walking away too, one with a small baggie, one with a stack of cash.

The adults went quiet, and Mrs.Park excused herself out of the station almost immediately, faced flushed a bright angry red. The principal offered a quick apology and made a hasty exit as well, leaving Mina and Wendy standing there.

But Mina was crying, gripping onto Wendy. Jeongyeon understood why, hell if she was in Mina's position she would probably start crying too.
"Thank you Mom." Mina cried into her shirt, before stiffening up. Wendy did too, her face flashing an unreadable expression before she shook it off and kept Mina's back.

The nurse looked up at locked eyes with Jeongyeon, before a smile s it's way onto . Something giddy and excited. Jeongyeon didn't say anything, just gave her a polite nod and left.

She told Nayeon later that night not to take Mina back. It wasn't fair. With heavy hearts, they had to let Mina be happy. Even if that wasn't with them.


yuna - 5 months

ryujin - 7

yeji - 9

mina - 25

jeongyeon - 47

wendy - 48


"Yeji don't touch that please, Ryujin come here, Yuna if you could not eat my hair-" Mina whined, trying to wrangle all three girls. The grocery cart she pushed ahead of her had Yuna nestled in a baby seat, Ryujin wandering away from the cart and Yeji touchinf everything in sight. And Mina looked completely overwhelmed.

Jeongyeon let out a chuckle, putting down the box of mac and cheese she was holding, walking over, "Need a hand?"

"Please." Mina whined, and Jeongyeon helped her round up the kids. When both Yeji and Ryujin were holding onto the cart, and calmed Mina smiled at her, "thanks."

"Grocery shopping? Yeah, actually, my mo-"

"Mina-" Wendy's voice sung turning the corner holding up a tub of vanilla ice cream, "got the stuff."

"Don't say it like that, I have kids."

"You're right, grammie is sorry. Oh- Jeongyeon! How are you?"

"I'm Good, just picking up some dinner." Jeongyeon motioned to the selection of mac and cheese in the isle.

Wendy smiled and the girls bid Jeongyeon goodbye, walking down the isle and out of her line of sight. Jeongyeon smiled, and went back to looking at Mac and cheese. Before Mina's gentle voice interrupted her once again, "Jeongyeon?"

"Mm?"

"Do you want to come over for dinner sometime?" Mina asked shyly, before lowering her tone, "I miss you."

Jeongyeon grinned, nodding her head, "of course, just text me."

"Okay." And with that Mina went to chase after Wendy and the kids.

"Oh wait, Mina?"

"Yeah?"

"I miss you too."