baby

THE KIMS

yuna - 5 months

ryujin - 7 years

yeji - 9 years

dahyun - 24 years

mina - 25 years


It started with a phone call before dinner. 

Sunmi seemed stressed, not that the woman never was not, but quickly relayed the information and waited anxiously for a response. A five month old had been found abandoned at a hospital, and was in need of a home. It took minor convincing to get Dahyun on board, but thirty minutes later Mina was driving home with a whole baby in her back seat, and anxiety levels through the roof. 

This was different, this was so different. Yeji and Ryujin, yeah they were young but they were independent. And potty trained. This was a litteral baby. Something that neither of the mothers had experienced before. The baby in the back seat didn't seem to pick up on Mina's apprehension, babbling away pointing at things. In any other situation it would be cute. 

It did confuse her slightly why the baby wasn't crying, confused as to why it wasn't with her mother. But Mina was greatful. She parked infront of their house, letting herself out first, slinging the bag of supplies she picked up on the way home, and finally the baby. She seemed happy to be held, smiling at Mina, actively trying to engage with her. Mina opened the door and small footsteps ran to her at full speed. 

"Mommy!" Ryujin yelled, slamming into Mina's legs hugging the woman. Mina patted the girl's back, as she separated and looked up, just now noticing the small human in Mina's arms, "who's that?"

"Um- let's go talk in the kitchen with Mommy and Yeji?, Okay?" 

The girl nodded in agreement and led them into the kitchen, where Dahyun was rushing around trying to make dinner and Yeji was standing there, trying to help, still in her softball uniform from practice earlier in the day.  Mina cleared and both girls head whipped towards them.

"Who is that?" Yeji asked, loud and with a hint of agression that Mina didn't like very much. 

Trying to separate the babies fist from Mina's hair, was a bit difficult. Especially since the baby insisted on stuffing the hair into . "This is Yuna, she's going to stay with us for a while."

Ryujin seemed happy, trying to play with the baby, pouting when the baby only giggled and had a hard time playing back. Dahyun set out a mat and laid the baby on it, while they ate dinner. It was something simple, but everyone seemed to enjoy it. Well everyone except Yeji who just picked at her food, before running to her room as soon as dinner had finished. 

When Yuna started to cry, Dahyun prepared a bottle of formula, only after reading the instructions over nearly ten times. She sat on the couch and fed the baby, while Ryujin sat next to her watching the baby with fascination. Mina just stood in the door way and watched.

She'd call her mom in the morning. But she was syre their lives just changed forever. 

...

It became very clear, very fast that Yeji did not like Yuna one bit. She didn't anything to do with the baby, and started acting out more often, throwing tantrums when something didn't go slightly her way. 

The final straw came at her softball game. 

Yeji was up and getting to throw the ball. She was good, the best on the team. Her Grandma Seulgi had taught her well. And all she had to do was make sure the girl didn't hit it, or they'd lose the game. She took a deep breath, holding the ball to her chest and looked up at the crowd expecting to see Sana, Dahyun, Ryujin, and Mina's faces smiling back at her. But she only saw three. Mina was missing. And the baby. 

She threw the ball, and cringed as the girl hit it and another girl ran to home, winning the game. She let her head hang as she highfived the other team and returned to her moms, both of them now there and the baby. 

"It's okay Ye! It was just one game." Sana tried to cheer up the girl, rubbing her on the arms as they walked back to the car. 

That's all it took for Yeji to start crying. 

Sana slowly removed her hands, and looked over at the moms, telling them silently to handle it. Dahyun crouched down, offering the girl a smile, "it's okay, you did your best."

"Why weren't you there!" Yeji suddenly yelled, pointing a finger at Mina. 

"I needed to change Yuna's diaper. I only missed two seconds, you played really good-"

"Are you going to get rid of us?" Yeji cut in, throwing the adults off gaurd. The girl held her glove a little tighter in her hands, "Please don't get rid of us."

Dahyun sighed, before giving the girl a hug, "We aren't getting rid of you baby. Yuna just needs attention right now, she can't do things like you and Ryujin can."

"But-"

"No buts. It's true." Mina stated, "You're stuck with us, whether you like it or not."

"I don't like her."

"You'll learn to like her. I promise. How about you feed her when we get to Grandma Wendy's? She's getting hungry."

A moment of hesitation followed and Yeji agreed, climbing into the car, Ryujin following after her. Half an hour later when Mina was teaching her how to feed the baby, Yeji changed her opinion on the little one. 

Maybe the five of them could be a family.