004

His Neck Ties & Her
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 


Photo credit: hidden

 

Italics - thoughts/inner dialogue: male female
UNDERLINED UPPER CASE - sender

 

 

YOUNGHEUM
I heard Jung is coming by your office tomorrow
to talk about the project?

Yes, he is.  Why?

YOUNGHEUM
Why didn't I get an Invite? :(

I don't want to waste my time listening to you
convince me to attend your parties you hold
every weekend.

YOUNGHEUM
I've already gone over it with him a while ago,
why does he need to see you about it?

I don't know, maybe you did a bad job at it.
As always.

YOUNGHEUM
you.  I'm coming tomorrow too then.

Why do you need to see me too?

YOUNGHEUM
NO OF COURSE NOT YOU.  I want to see your
secretary :P

Whatever, you know my rules.

YOUNGHEUM
I work for Jung, not you.  So it doesn't apply to
me.  Is she single?

Do you like her or something?

YOUNGHEUM
I think she's cute.  Why, can't I like her?

I never said that.  Do whatever you want.

YOUNGHEUM
So... is she single?

I don't know and I don't care.  Just make sure
whatever you do it doesn't interfere with my
work.

YOUNGHEUM
Always such a workaholic.  Fine, I'll ask her
myself.

-

Doyoung rolled his eyes at the last received message.  He rarely saw his friends and it didn't bother him as much that they would only meet once or twice a week, given their busy individual schedules.  But he knew this project with Jung Industries meant he would be seeing the two a lot more often - especially Jaehyun.

I haven't seen him in a month.

Youngheum, who is also a director, sent by Jaehyun to represent Jung Industries for the proposal of the project.  Kim Corps and Jung Industries have been long time partners because of Doyoung's and Jaehyun's fathers who got along well with each other – so it was a given they have been friends throughout their childhood, and they too, hit it off quite well.

They were all like brothers.

He inhaled the chocolate minty scent that trailed from the corner of the desk.  His eyes lit up for the tenth time at the sight of the beverage that had allow him to feul himself for the several hours of the evening and prevented his lids from closing in – but his lips soon pursed having seen that it was emptied already.  Once again, he hadn't realise how much time would passed; there were only a few ticks until it the night would approach 11PM.

The roasty aroma and soft, doughy texture of his lunch had long gone down a while ago and now, his stomach had given up on hiding its grumble and echoed quietly throughout his suite.  He clutched his abdomen as if to hush it down; only to hear it once more.  Maybe he should take the night off just this once. 

Kim Doyoung never sought eventful late nights like Youngheum did, nor was he a man willing to spend the time with his nieces and nephews like Johnny – if he did have any.  With the exception of his mother's and friends' birthdays, he eventually learned to like these office nights; drowning himself in documents and perfecting his signature to the point where every scribble at the end of the pages looked like they had been photocopied.  And he would be very much satisfied with the flawless outcome.

He interlaced his knuckles together and rolled his wrist, easing the tension they built over the process of gliding along the glass surface and the constant turning of pages.  But the contract had already been signed.  It was a good pay-off for the past weeks.  Maybe for once he would finally head home to his bed instead of the one behind the doors to his right.

And he would do just that.

Switching off the last couple of lights, he his heels and tried to match his strides with the ticking seconds-hand of his watch.  But just as he reached his fifth step, his eyes caught sight of a door left ajar that piqued his curiosity.  The strip of white light emitted from the gap spread to the tip of his toes.  He took a cautious step and cocked his head slightly towards the source.

Wait a minute, why am I being careful? He inwardly questioned before straightening himself up.

What did he have to be careful of?  This was his floor and after all, she was his secretary. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter