AL #3

Autumn Leaves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The doctor couldn’t believe that the senior residents couldn’t grasp the situation of the patient who had just arrived. He made sure to show them every details and explain to them the importance of doing so and yelled at them for still not being able to master the skill despite being in the posting for almost a month.

 

 

The fuss over nothing created by the residents almost made him forget that he has students waiting for him in the CT room. Pointing at the resident who called for him just now, he told her to bring the students here to assess the situation of the new patient.

 

 

Seeing how they are all gathered around, the doctor explained what type of injury that the patient sustained, drugs he had administered and had asked another student to answer the precautions and contraindications of the drugs he had administered. While the doctor was busy explaining, one person found it difficult to concentrate on the doctor’s words.

 

 

She furrowed her eyebrows when she first arrived at the bed. She thought her eyes were playing tricks on her because of her lack of sleep these days that had her thinking that the person lying flat on the bed was someone she knew. She studied his chiseled features, dainty nose and his thin mouth – she tried recalling the image that she had seen before buried deep in her mind. In fact, she was too deep in her thoughts that she didn’t hear her name being called out.

 

 

“Han Gaeul, are you listening?” the doctor raised his eyebrow. Gaeul snapped from her thoughts and quickly bowed to the doctor, apologizing for her behavior. The doctor clicked his tongue before dismissing the students, but at that time, Gaeul swore she heard a faint voice reaching out to her.

 

-

 

Families of the victims involved in the accident burst through the door with evident distress etched on their faces. Their heads turned to every nook and cranny of the emergency room looking for their loved ones, silently praying for that everything will be okay for them.

 

 

“Donghyuk-ah!” a woman cried out when she saw her son lying on the bed helplessly. She closed with her hands, trying to hold back the sobs escaping upon the image of her son in such state. “Oh? Eomma…” Donghyuk murmured when he saw his mother cried as she trudged towards his son. “Eomma, why are you crying?” he asked as he tried to sit up straight only to have him wince in pain.

 

 

When his mother received the news of his precious son being involved in a car accident, her heart dropped. Everything around her went blank as she tried to deny and calm herself that they may mistake her Donghyuk as the Donghyuk that was being treated at the hospital but when they confirmed to her once again, she quickly ended the phone call and drove to the hospital, hoping to see her son in a fine state because she couldn’t afford to lose another person she loves.

 

 

“I really thought you were going to meet your father, Donghyuk-ah….I don’t want to lose you!” his mother expressed while breaking into tears next to him. Seeing how his mother broke down, he grabbed her mother’s hand and comforted her. “But I’m here alive, eomma. I’m fine, really!” Donghyuk said while fighting the tears that was about to flow. Just how much his mother’s heart broke seeing him in this state, he also felt the same way for worrying his mother. Donghyuk bit his lips and looked away wiping his tears.

 

 

“Where is Kim Hanbin?” asked a woman in her late forties to the nurse. “Are you his guardian?” the nurse asked while typing the name she mentioned on the computer. “Yes, I’m his mother” she replied hastily, as if every seconds passing was gold. The nurse scanned the screen and told her that her son was in the operating theatre receiving emergency surgery. She brought Hanbin’s parents to the second floor where the operation theatres are located and told them to wait here until the surgery ends in around thirty minutes.

 

 

Each minutes passed felt like an hour. It was as if time was ridiculing Hanbin’s parents, his father cursed at the soulless clock on the white wall of the waiting area. Series of footsteps pierced the serious atmosphere with pants leaving the mouth of the other four members of iKON.

 

 

“Hello, uncle and auntie. How long has he been in the surgery?” Bobby asked between pants as they ran from the lobby to the second floor. “We were from Incheon when we received the call. They said that they will finish in around thirty minutes” Hanbin’s mother replied.

 

 

The boys sat on the chair except for Chanwoo who was scrolling through his SNS to look for any news about the latest incident but a certain title caught his attention that made him curse almost loud.

 

 

“What’s wrong with you, Chanwoo?” Jinhwan turned his head in annoyance. It was pin drop silence, everyone in the waiting area could heard him.

 

 

“Hyung, look at this” he showed his phone screen to the boys

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter