AL #2

Autumn Leaves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Series of sirens filled the night at the heart of Seoul, growing louder as they hastened to the accident site where pieces of broken glass were spread along the road. Blood oozing from the bodies of the victims who were still stuck inside the cars. The situation was hectic, everyone stopped their tracks to see what had happened. No one dared to step nearer, afraid that something bad could occur after.

 

 

Hanbin could feel himself slowly gaining conscious but he felt as if he was trapped inside his own body. His hooded eyes trailed to his side and saw Jaebum was still unconscious as if he was sleeping peacefully except that blood were all over him.

 

 

He wanted to turn his head to see Junhoe and Donghyuk but a sharp pain attacked him blocking him from doing so. “Junhoe-yah….Donghyuk-ah…..” he called out weakly. Seeing how they were not responding, he assumed that they were unconscious too.

 

 

A few moments later, he could hear footsteps hurrying to him, trying to open the door on his side. “Sir? Are you conscious?” one of the paramedics asked him while cutting his seatbelt off. “Yeah…I feel like I couldn’t breathe…” Hanbin’s voice trailed off. “We’ll get you out of here and bring you to the hospital. Try to stay conscious while you can, okay?” the paramedic replied and carried him out of the car to a stretcher. His eyes followed the other paramedics who were taking the other three out of the car and the other guy in the black sedan.

 

 

Once inside the ambulance, the paramedics took his vital signs and every necessary method needed following the procedure before they reach the hospital. Hanbin felt like the world was spinning. When the paramedics placed an oxygen mask over his mouth, he tried to gasp in for air but a sharp pain caused him to wince softly. His eyes tried to stay open several times but every time he felt like he could stay alive, his intuition told him that he should just give up, convincing that he has reached his limit and he should just rest.

 

 

“Blood pressure is dropping!” One of the paramedics shouted. The driver stepped on the pedal, making the ambulance sped up faster towards the hospital. “Sir, please stay awake. We are almost reaching the hospital” said the paramedic.

 

 

I tried….Hanbin said to himself before slowly felt like he wanted to end this battle with himself early.

 

 

It was too agonizing.

 

 

Giving up was never an option to him when he was fine and healthy. He asked himself if this is how his life is going to end, if this is how he wanted everything to end. Without realizing, a single tear ran down his cheek.

 

-

 

Attending classes, doing ward rounds and hanging out at the libraries are a norm for every final year medical students. Although sometimes they felt like their brain is about to explode, mind about to go blank and soul about to leave their bodies, it is the rainbow after the series of storm that they are striving for. Everybody has a passion about something, so do these medical students who want to strive in everything they do – and that includes their last final exam of the year before pledging their life to the Hippocratic oath and taking full responsibility of their career and the lives of the patients.

 

 

A group of final year students happened to have a ward round at night with a six hours gap from their last class

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter