The Brunette Guy

Hotter Than Summer, Colder Than Winter

I had a good dream, more beautiful than any flower. At the cold weather in my room, I pull up the blankets. And as I open my eyes and it is today. At some point, the seasons have changed.

It’s spring.

I could feel the sun light soaking into my pores. Birds chirping, dew drops on the flowers and trees, buzzing bees, greeting the change of the season. You can smell the fresh air, grasses and the lake. Here I am sitting in front of the lake. What am I doing here this early? I kept on tapping my finger to the cup of hot chocolate I just bought at the café nearby. I looked up my watch and its 8.45 in the morning. It’s still pretty cold in spring, despite the pretty scenery that morning and spring offers to me, still its cold.

What’s his name? Is he a senior?

My mind brought me to what happened earlier at the café. Well there’s this café at my university. I regularly visit there before and after school. When I was about to walk to the cashier, to order my drink, there’s this guy who has just finished ordering his drink, Americano. He’s tall, brunette, and his eyes, I don’t know, they’re freezing. As our eyes met each other, what I can see is his cold gaze that he gave to me. It wasn’t our first meeting actually. It was the third time I saw him in this café. But today is the first time he really looked at me. Honestly this guy caught my attention as I’m pretty curious to know more about him. At least, his name.

 “You!!” a girl suddenly called my name. Giving me a tight back hug.

“Yah, you scared me! What took you so long?”

Mian, I just helped a senior. Well actually he just moved here 3 months ago but he continue his study from his previous one, I mean not starting over as a freshman, so he’s a senior. I don’t know, exchange program or something” she took a seat beside me.

“Where did he come from?”

“America” she said while gazing at the lake.

“A foreigner?”

“Umm no, he’s Korean but he lived in America for few years. I’ll introduce you to him.”

“Cool” I sipped in my hot chocolate. “By the way, I met the brunette guy!”

“Again? Did you at least give him a smile?” she looked into my eyes. Full of curiosity.

“How can I……his gaze froze me up”

“Ey, babo. Next time at least just give him a smile. I wonder what he looked like” she poked my forehead. “Let’s have a brunch, I’m hungry. I’ll treat you………………….better” she sticks out her tongue and quickly runs, saves her life.

“You want to die?” I was going to grab her but she ran faster. Heol Ji Eun never change.

Ah I forgot to introduce myself. I’m ___ and that was my friend Lee Ji Eun. We’ve been friends since high school. Now, we’re under the same department in Seoul National University of Art. We helped each other a lot, but we annoyed each other even more than a lot. Her friendly and bubbly personality made me can’t stay mad at her for a long time. That’s what special about Ji Eun.

 

 

------------------------

 

 

As she promised me yesterday, Ji Eun took me to a place where she met the senior. She took me to a park nearby, still in our university neighborhood. It’s pretty big park with beautiful sceneries, green, a lot of trees and a lot of benches. I rarely visit there but I think I’ll visit more often from now on. I can see a lot of scholars studying in groups or by themselves, chit-chatting, or just sitting with and earphone on while busy looking down to their mobile.

“There he is” Ji Eun pointed at a guy in a hoodie who’s busy with looking down to his iPad.

Could it be him?

She pulled me there. “Annyeong haseyo sunbaenim.

The guy stopped and looked surprised seeing Ji Eun with me. “Oh, hi Ji Eun-ssi.” Awkwardly stared at me and Ji Eun.

Sunbaenim, I’d like to introduce my friend” Ji Eun poked my arm as a sign that I need to do the introduction.

Annyeong haseyo” I bowed to him as a greeting. “I’m You majoring in ___”

“Oh so you guys from the same department? I’m Yong Gook, nice to meet you.” He shook my hand and smile “and oh drop the sunbaenim, I don’t feel comfortable if you guys called me that way haha. Just call me Yong Gook” said him playfully.

Ji Eun took a seat beside him and I automatically followed her. I sat beside Ji Eun then we chatted for a while. Exchanging stories, getting to know each other. Yong Gook is tall, his voice is really deep, had this fierce gaze and blonde. But despite his gaze, he seemed really nice and not a senior-minded. I don’t know, maybe because he’s from America so it doesn’t really matter to him whether his junior had to call him sunbaenim or not. In fact Yong Gook is a bit playful.

As we talked my eyes kept wandering around. Sometimes I let Yong Gook and Ji Eun had their conversations, just the two of them. I’m such a good friend aren’t I? I looked up my mobile, I looked through my gallery, I checked my inbox. Not interesting (my mobile). As I looked up and put my mobile back, there’s this familiar figure. Far acrosse me, smoking, alone. While once in awhile slurping his Americano. My eyes got bigger as I made sure of myself that it is him. The brunette guy. I don’t normally like smoking people but this one is different. He is coolly smoking by himself like not giving a damn what others may think about him.

“Ji Eun-ah its him!” I whispered to Ji Eun because I didn’t want my new friend to know I’ve been so curious about some random guy.

“Uh? What?” she stopped her conversations and turned to me.

“It’s the brunette guy I’ve been telling you!” I secretly gave directions to Ji Eun where the brunette guy is.

“He’s looked cold” Ji Eun gave her impression as she saw him for the first time.

“I know right?”

“Yong Gook ssi, do you happen to know that guy who’s sitting across us?” Ji Eun bluntly asked that straight to Yong Gook.

Face palm. I’m done.

Yong Gook tried to search the guy that Ji Eun meant. He even stood up a bit. “The one who’s smoking?”

I nodded.

“Haha what? You like him?” he looked amused.

“What? No…I…uh…Interested in him!” I stuttered. I feel stupid of what I just said. Interested? Really? Is that the best you can say?

“Wait here. Don’t go anywhere ok?” he smirked. Suddenly Yong Gook stood up and dashed to the crowds. Approached the guy that me and Ji Eun told him about.

I only can see them from a far. Didn't know what to do I pretended to talk to Ji Eun as in nothing happened. But still, my eyes secretly watched over them, what they’re doing. Yong Gook approached him and the brunette guy like gave him what’s up look. Yong Gook slurped his Americano then straight talked about……..me? I’m not sure what they’re talking about but the brunette guy gave his glance on me. Oh God I’m so done. I decided to stop looking at them because this butterfly in my tummy suddenly came by for a visit. I asked Ji Eun for help to watch over them while I’m doing, I don’t know, something else.

“Congratulations honey, they’re coming” Ji Eun teased me as I feel like going from there because I’m too shy to get to know what happened next.

Kaja” I wanted to leave.It embarrassed me. I don’t know what Yong Gook might tell to the brunette guy. But I’m afraid it’s not a good thing since I don’t know the brunette guy at all but all of sudden I’m curious about him. Even I bluntly said I’m interested in him. Stupid me.

Ji Eun held me tightly, didn’t allow me to go anywhere and before I realize anything both of the guys already stood in front of us. Yong Gook and the brunette guy. Seemed like he threw his cigar away. He only had his Americano in hand.

You, this is my friend” while shoving the brunette guy so that he’s standing in front of me. Really close.

I looked him in the eyes. Beautiful. The eyes that always froze me up, froze my smile up, froze my courageous up. “I..uh..Hi… I’m You nice to meet you” dang! He even froze my tongue up. I awkwardly shook his hand. “And you are?”

“Oh yeah, Hi I’m Him Chan. Nice to meet you” hi tilted his head and grinned.

Awkward. Yong Gook left us both and seemed like he’s going to continue his unfinished conversations with Ji Eun as he’s sat with Ji Eun. While me and Him Chan, finally I know his name, stood up beside them awkwardly. Didn’t know what to do.

“Ah so, you’re Yong Gook friend?” I start the conversation. Tried to break the ice.

“Yeah”

“You’re from America too?”

He nodded.

What an ice?! I forced myself to smile.

“Umm I’m sorry but I’m a bit busy right now. But can you save my number and text me then?"

"Ne?" I can't believe what I just heard.

"Yeah, save my number. So that we can meet up and have some more time to talk?”