Chapter 6: An officer put to the test

SHINee Mystery Files

kolmilyo –hahaha well not really a double personality complex but something else

lee_xuan –well it might seem that taemin has two personalities but heheheh this is not sonething psychological LOL!! Well I’m revealing the facts slowly hehehe so just wait for the whole story to reveal

*********

Taemin returned to Onew’s car with his left hand still bleeding, Jonghyun and Onew were waiting for him and Key to return and were standing in front of the car, the two immediately went up to Taemin as soon as they saw him and his bleeding hand.

“What happened?” Onew asked worriedly but the boy just passed by him, staring at the ground and went inside the car without a word.

“Whoah…talk about cold!” Jonghyun shrugged, Key arrived shortly and was greeted with confused faces from the two other officers.

“What happened back there? Why is his hand bleeding?” Onew asked again and Key sighed, “His not injured don’t worry, he got attacked by a wild dog but it turned out that the dog was the one who got harmed!” Key explained.

“I think we have to go now, we spent hours in here already and I want to go back to the city now! This place gives me the creeps seriously…” Jonghyun whined and led Key to the car, Onew hopped in the driver’s seat and noticed that Taemin had wrapped his left hand with a bandage and was resting.

“Put your seatbelts on, we’re going home…” Onew said and drove off.

The ride back was peaceful yet Onew’s mind wasn’t, now he really got curious why Taemin always had that bandaged on his left arm yet he’s sure the boy doesn’t have an injury there, he thought its probably an ugly scar but then why is it that Taemin doesn’t want anyone touching hat arm at all? Onew got tired of thinking and just shook his head and continued driving, they finally reached the entrance of the city and Key requested if they could stop by a small grocery mart nearby. They pulled over to a silent part of the city, Key got off and Jonghyun went with her while Taemin and Onew stayed in the car.

Key began to take items from the shelves with a basket hanging on her arm, “Babe, I’m going to pee! I’ll be back!” Jonghyun excused himself and left to find the bathroom. The mart had only three customers and the cashier was growing bored waiting for more to come, she chewed on her gum like there was no tomorrow. The tinkling of the bells of the door of the mart made the cashier look up and smile, knowing that another customer came in she greeted the man wearing a long black cape. She wondered why he would wear something like that in a hot weather, the man’s haggard and stern face made the cashier flinch yet she had to smile, he is a customer after all.

But her eyes widened in shock when the man pulled a shot gun that was hiding in his long cape and pointed at her stomach, she was about to scream but the muzzle of the firearm moved up to , making her gulped in fear. Yet that didn’t stop the old lady near the counter from screaming her lungs out, the man shushed her up and gave her a warning glare.

“If you don’t want to die early little miss, you better give me all the money in there, and don’t even think of pushing that alarm button if you don’t want your head blown off!” the man said smirking and the cashier trembled to open the cash register.

“You there, shut up and come here!” the man shouted at the old lady and made her stand next to the cashier, Onew was clueless of what’s happening inside, he didn’t hear the scream of the old lady at all. Jonghyun was busy doing his business in the bathroom while Key had already began sneaking to get near the thief. The mart had been quiet, and the place was such a sleepy part of the city that it was such a perfect place to rob someone with not enough police security.

“All I wanted is to buy some snacks and a robbery happens!” Key muttered to herself and took out her gun, hiding behind the shelves and began scooting her way near the counter.

“Hurry!” the man ordered and poked the muzzle of the shotgun to the cashier’s face, making the poor girl wince.

“Please don’t kill us! Please don’t kill us!” the old lady near her begged and the man just rolled his eyes, Key was moving silently trying hard not to get noticed, she got to the last shelf that is in front of the counter, she’s steps away from the thief and all she had to do is turn and point the gun at the man. But what Key didn’t know is that the man had been watching her every move from the mirror hanging above the counter, which Key completely overlooked.

“It’s all in there! Now please let us go!” the cashier gave the man a plastic bag where the contents of the cash register where all filled.

“Not on my watch mister!” Key said under her breath and turned her body to shoot the man, but the scheming thief was quick to grab a knife from his pocket and threw it towards her as it slashed a long deep cut on her shoulder. Key had gave a shot but it missed, Onew heard it and quickly looked from the window to see what was happening, the thief made a run for it contented that he had hurt an officer and got the money as well, he dashed out the door with the shotgun and money in his hands.

Key clutched her wounded shoulder, she never thought that she’d go down that easily, “Ugh! !” she shouted annoyed then Jonghyun saw the awful scene in front of him, “Key what happened?” Jonghyun came to Key with panic and fear in his voice but Key immediately swatted his hand away.

“The robber got away, chase him! I’m fine, it’s just a scratch Jong, go get him!” Key commanded, Jonghyun knows that there is no point arguing with her in this situation, he wanted to stay and help her but duty calls. He nodded and left the mart.

Onew got off the car as soon as the thief ran out of the grocery mart, he left Taemin sleeping there and chased after the man. Running was no joke, the man is quite skilled in it that Onew was huffing and puffing like crazy, “You should cut down the carbs Onew!” he said to himself, reminding not to eat a lot of fat from now on because he couldn’t keep up running. The man was gaining distance from him yet Onew forced himself to keep up an track him, he wishes that he wouldn’t trip on anything with all this running because it would ruin such a perfect chase scene, after all it was his first. “YAH! STOP RIGHT THERE!” Onew screamed at the man, but of course the thief didn’t listen.

 

“Jonghyun had opened the trunk and got a small suitcase, he immediately ran and asked the few people around about a thief running away, good thing a little boy pointed the right direction where Onew had been chasing the thief and quickly sprinted over there. Jonghyun was a fast runner and was able to caught up with Onew who had cornered the thief in an alley, but the unfortunate thing is that the man had a teenager as hostage in his grip, his right arm locking the girl’s neck which was also threatened by another knife in his hand while his left hand pointed the shotgun on Onew, who was also pointing his pistol at him, the special gun that Siwon personally gave to him.

Jonghyun grew tense at the sight and looked for a nearby building which had a ladder or a staircase for him to climb to the rooftop, he found one perfectly close to the alley and started climbing, as he reached a spot where the thief wouldn’t easily spot him he opened the small suitcase, he has time because it seems that Onew was still negotiating with the thief.

“Aah…it’s been a long time seeing my other baby!” he said sweetly as he assembled the parts of his sniper and its stand, he fixed the telescopic sight and tilted his head to get a good view of the target. He didn’t want to shoot anyone today but if drastic measures are needed, he had to fire a shot.

Onew on the other hand kept his aim firmly, he hated guns, he doesn’t want to use one ever, he doesn’t want to fire a shot or to hurt one with it. That’s why he sticks to investigating rather than in arresting people, thinking that being a detective, having a higher rank would eventually lead him to being able not to use a gun to his advantage. If anyone would use a firearm to solve the case, it wouldn’t be him, and he wanted to keep true to his word, yet the turn of events in past minutes had given him fear and anxiousness.

“Just give up, you have nowhere to go! Release her and surrender!” Onew commanded, despite the unnatural speed of his heart which was a mixture of fear and excitement. The hostage is now in tears and was careful not to anger her captor, one wrong move and the knife aimed at her will slit .

“You’ll give me way, if you don’t this little girl will get it!” the man placed the knife that his right hand was holding on the girl’s collarbone and gave a small cut, nonetheless it hurt the hostage and she began to scream.

“Damn it Onew just shoot already!” Jonghyun cursed under his breath, he was back-up and Onew had to make the lead. Deep inside he knows that somehow he’ll have to be the one to shoot in the end of the day; Jonghyun knows that usually rookies in the police action would usually fail, and Onew was a rookie after all no matter how good Siwon had described him. He could tell by Onew’s resistance to even put his finger to the right place to shoot that his partner would think twice hurting the thief, Jonghyun his lips and aimed at the man’s leg, “Onew your gonna get it later!” Jonghyun hissed and waited for the right time to shoot.

“Please save me!” the hostage sobbed and begged for Onew who is quite torn on what to do, he might have not shown fear on the outside but his reluctance to use his gun gave him pressure.

“It seems that someone here wont shoot!” the thief smirked and gave a hearty laugh, Onew furrowed his eyebrows at the man who seemed to read his mind.

“Might as well be on my way then!” the man scooted to where he could see an opening to escape but Onew halted him, now his finger is on the trigger of his pistol and the thief raised an eyebrow seeing that.

“Nuh uh-uh! Don’t get any closer or she’ll have more than just a cut!” the thief threatened but Onew stood his ground.

“Let her go if you don’t want a bullet in between your eyes bastard!” Onew gritted his teeth, the tension growing stronger and stronger in the alley, especially that they were steps away from each other now, the thief released a cold sweat as he and Onew intensely looked at each other. A glimmer of each other’s eyes hinted that one wouldn’t back down…then the thief snapped.

Throwing the girl to the side the thief raised his shotgun to shoot Onew, he just knows that this person in front of him wouldn’t shoot, he just knows that Onew wouldn’t have the guts to do so because of the panic that he saw on the young man’s face when he threw the hostage to wall next to him. The thief aimed at Onew’s chest and then a shot fired, a loud, piercing bang echoed throughout the alley and the hostage screamed in horror, just in time police sirens could be heard approaching the scene of the crime.

Smoke came out of the mouth of the shotgun as it fell on the dirty ground, blood dripped and gave a horrid stench; Onew slumped on the ground with his eyes widened in shock…

“Onew…” Jonghyun sighed heavily as he withdrew his finger from the trigger of his sniper, he bit his lip in annoyance and started to put the parts of his gun back to the small suitcase and then went down the staircase and walked towards Onew.

“You better have a good reason for not shooting the guy” Jonghyun held a hand to Onew who gladly took it as he stood up.

“Y-you’re the one who—“ Onew couldn’t finish his sentence because of the shock, he thought he was the one who would have to get shot today and not the thief who was now crawling in pain with a bleeding leg.

“Yes, I’m the one who shot him! Did you know Key was hurt? Good thing it wasn’t fatal, next time…don’t hesitate to hurt a criminal, let them go and the next thing you know they will hurt someone important to you!” Jonghyun’s tone was mixed with anger, care and annoyance. Onew was taken aback; he didn’t do his job well besides cornering a man who almost killed him.

Jonghyun helped the hostage get up and wiped her tears, two police cars had pulled over the alley and arrested the thief, the shot that he got from Jonghyun wasn’t fatal but he wouldn’t be able to walk for months because of that. Onew stood there dumbfounded of all that had happened, frozen on his spot gripping the pistol that he had been holding all along but he never got to use.

“Worthless…” he said to himself the Jonghyun’s hand grippe his shoulder, “Go get Key home, we’ll talk there later when I come back, don’t leave her there alone okay?” Jonghyun said and walked off with the hostage towards the police car. Onew gave him a weak nod and walked away; even though he didn’t get shot he was hurting inside.