Lines

TWCLND

JYP ENTERTAINMENT OFFICE, MEETING ROOM

“What do you think they’re talking about in there?”

“The usual big man BS, I guess. How am I supposed to know.” Chaeyoung shrugs.

“No I’m just asking you because we’ve been sitting on these cold benches for a full hour” Dahyun raises her voice to the board room.

Groups in the JYP Entertainment, like TWICE, distribute their lines in an audition kind of way. Everyone in the group sing a song, which is already composed and written, sometimes by the members themselves. Then they wait for a team of executives to decide whose part leaves and whose part stays.

While everybody is done with line recording days ago. The rap line, Dahyun and Chaeyoung has just finished their recording for their upcoming comeback an hour ago. No, not the summer comeback to interrupt the tour, but the one after that. The one for November. This is how serious the company plans their music.

They are now waiting for the music board, including Park Jinyoung himself, to decide the final line distribution. They wait outside the very room where the meeting is being held.

“You think we’ll get more than two lines this time?” Chaeyoung asks sarcastically to Dahyun who is sitting across her.

“I said it before, Chaeng." Replies Dahyun. "I don’t really care for how much lines I get. As long as¾

An open of a door cuts Dahyun. The two's eyes race to the door. One man went out of the meeting room and they immediately stood up.

“PD-nim!.” Chaeyoung and Dahyun says in unison as they bow to founder of the company himself. “How was it?” The youngest asks.

“Oh, it was great. Like, real good.” The middle-aged man says. “You did amazing, You guys really improved a lot.”

“Thank you PD-nim!” The two says.

“Sorry to keep you waiting. ‘What Is Love?’ success really changed the board.” The big man says.

“It’s alright, PD-nim. Hahaha.” They laugh.

“You have a big show to perform tonight. Don’t be late.”

“We won’t. Thanks again!” They say in unison, again.

They then started walking, with Jinyoung’s ‘proud dad’ of a grin still lingering on them. They head to the parking lot where their driver is waiting. They find their driver eating a cup of noodles.

"Annyeong, Jung-oppa." Says Chaeyoung with a charming smile.

"Oh gihs, you'he heee." He is bolted as his mouth is still loaded with noodles.

"Yes, we are here." Dahyun heaves her brown satchel into the car. “Can we go to a starbucks on the way there?”

“Anything for the princess.” He throws the cup to a nearby can and run to the driver's seat.

“Why did we wait for an hour again?” Chaeyoung says as she buckles her belt prettily in the van.

With a starbucks to drive through and a stadium to head. Along with time to not waste, he started driving.

 

“You think he really gave us proper lines time?” Chaeyoung asks while her big eyes look out to the car window.

“What’s with you and lines, geez.” Dahyun questions.

“You mean what’s with us and lines.”

Dahyun rolls her eyes. Chaeyoung is a sweet girl but when she's unbearably bitter, she's unbearably bitter. “Don’t even…”

“You know we both need more of them.” Chaeyoung firmly states.

“Lines? No. It’s not like we need them.” Dahyun says. “I mean, at least we got a lot last time.”

“Yeah but remember the one before that? Heart Shaker?” Chaeyoung asks Dahyun.

“I think you forgot the part when we were in Japan for nearly a month.” Dahyun harks back.

“Yeah, but I don’t think you’d forget the part when our lines were reduced to ing adlibs.” Chaeyoung is getting harsh with her words.

“They weren’t ad libs." Says Dahyun, right in Chaeyoung's face. "And everybody loved Heart Shaker. And what’s with the swearing.”

“Oh, like how Knock Knock was a huge hit?” Chaeyoung retorically asks with loose sarcasm.

“Nobody hated Knock Knock…” Dahyun furrows her wide eyebrows. “What are you talking¾

“That’s the point.”  Chaeyoung says abruptly.

“What? What was the point? Can’t you slow down?” Dahyun is lost in Chaeyoung’s little words. “Listen, if you are bitter about lines, you did hear him, right? ‘What Is Love?’ changed the board someway somehow. That means he’s gonna give us lines you long for. So just calm down, geez.”

“I have no idea how his mind works.” Chaeyoung weirdly starts another topic.

“Whose mind?

“’The Asiansoul’ himself,” Chaeyoung airquotes. “If he could give us actual lines. Or even just decent lines and in the process, actually make money with it. Why don’t do he just do it? Imagine the disappointment. Knowing that TWICE’s rappers became background cheerleader for a title song.” Chaeyoung says furiously as she has been since she entered both this car and topic.

“You know what? I have no idea why you’re bringing this up just now. We were talking to the real guy five minutes ago. Why didn’t you say anything?” Dahyun is sick of Chaeyoung’s bickering.

“Because asking him for lines is no different from asking an ape for¾

“Listen, we won’t be going anywhere if you and me keep saying one of us is wrong.” Dahyun interrupts. “I just wanna say I don’t care about lines. I wouldn’t even care if my lines are reduced to background noise. Because no matter what, you and me are still a part of TWICE.”

“Why wouldn’t you¾“ Chaeyoung says as she finds ways to tear into Dahyun’s opinion. Which she inconceivably disagrees with. But instead;

“Ah forget it. You’re right. We’re going nowhere with this.” Chaeyoung returns to being lost in the streetview of Seoul.

“But what was the point anyway.” Dahyun is still lost in Chaeyoung’s words.

Dahyun waits for an answer. And although Chaeyoung hears Dahyun’s words perfectly, she wouldn’t bother to respond to dahyun in any shape of human language. Chaeyoung is clearly at her worst mood. So Dahyun simply leaves Chaeyoung in her own world. Trying her best to unbother the younger of Rap Line. Making the rest of the way to the stadium a silent journey.