Our Great Nayeon

TWCLND

“Hey Jihyo can I say something?” Asks Nayeon.

“Oh, you’re asking me? That’s bizzare of you, to ask me something.” Jihyo says, not forgetting a seasoning of sarcasm.

“Now this is gonna sound crazy but…”

“Try me.”

“I think Tzuyu hates me.”

“What?” Jihyo is stupefied. But she is more confused.

“I know right?”

“No, what does that even mean.”

“It means she has a great deal of disliking me.”

“A great deal of — what?” Nayeon’s silly words muddles Jihyo.

“Can’t you do something about it?” Asks Nayeon.

“Do something about what?” Jihyo stares at Nayeon with her brows furrowed. They are not on the same page. Not even the same book.

“Tzuyu.”

“Tzuyu? What’s with Tzuyu?”

“I was saying Tzuyu, our maknae, hates me.” Nayeon says clearly, in case Jihyo still don't understand.

 

JAMSIL INDOOR STADIUM, 18th March, 2018.

 

Jihyo finally gets a grasp of what Nayeon is saying. She averts her eyes back to the stage screen.

“I got it the first time.” No she didn't. “What I mean is, why are you saying that.” Jihyo asks for a clarification.

“You didn’t know?” The older asks. “I mean, you’re not feeling it?” Nayeon says. Trying her best to sound witted and cool. But Nayeon can't be witted. Instead, she talks too vague Jihyo is having a hard time apprehending Nayeon's words. 

“Feel what?”

“Tzuyu being moody around me.” Says Nayeon.

“No, I’m not feeling it.” Jihyo says. “Which is why I am asking you. Why does Tzuyu hate you?”

“Well, she gets moody when I’m around her vicinity.” Nayeon says. May or may not be exaggerated. “ And when¾

“Don’t be around her, then.” Jihyo cuts in.

“I’m serious.” Nayeon says with a totally serious face.

“You don’t think I am?” She snaps back with a totally not serious face.

“No, not at all. You’re acting like this is¾

“And when what?” Jihyo cuts before Nayeon goes on too far.

Nayeon takes a beat. She hates looking dull. Especially when she’s with Jihyo. “And when I ask her something or make a joke. You know, break the ice. She gets quiet and stuff.”

TWICE have just had yet another successful comeback last month. They’re only a two and a half year old girl group and it’s already their second tour, TWICEland Zone 2. And for a lengthy four-month tour around Pacific Asia, Seoul is their starting line. Only interrupted by a comeback right in the middle of it.

They’ve done rehearsals at twelve yesterday. Now it’s less than four hours to the opening show and Jihyo is checking the stage where they will perform for eighteen thousand ONCEs at six.

“Couldn’t you at least

“HOW ABOUT THE VIDEO?” Jihyo deafeningly yells at the stage sound engineer. At the same time cutting and silencing Nayeon. “Sorry.”

Nayeon shook her head. As if it’s saying ‘It’s ok.’.

“One, Nayeon-unnie, you’re being dramatic. Two, Tzuyu is quiet.” Jihyo tells Nayeon. “And stuff.”

“At least ask her what’s up.” Nayeon resorts with a hint of desperation.

“SOUNDS GOOD.” A sound engineer shouts in return from the stage ceiling. Snipping right in the middle of the two’s conversation.

Jihyo gives the engineer a thumbs up and a smile. She takes a pause to Nayeon. “Alright, I will. I’ll help you.”

“Thank you.” Nayeon relieves herself.

“If you can give me an explanation with a clear conclusion that our little sweetheart stops being a sweetheart around you, I will.” Jihyo gives her unnie a condition.

“Okay. She just does.” Nayeon says without an apparent reason.

“Because?”

“Because…” Nayeon is addled. “Okay, Tzuyu is a cutie and her sweetness is unbearable right? But it’s like my full time job is to switch it off. And trust me she wants me to keep that job.” She says.

Jihyo takes a disparaging stare while Nayeon waits for Jihyo’s answer.

“Nope.” She heads to the backstage door which Nayeon, who is still not satisfied, follows. Barely. Thanks to Jihyo’s swift walk.

Nayeon is still not giving up. “Alright, it was morning in the dorm. Tzuyu and I were¾

“Wait let me just stop you right there.” Jihyo prevents Nayeon from going on. “What are you doing?

“I’m telling a story.” Says Nayeon, sounding like a five year old.

“Really?”

“I’m trying to give you a conclusive explanation.”

Storytelling isn’t really in Jihyo’s schedule for today. 

“Fine. Let’s just say, as impropable as it is, Tzuyu really does hate you.” Says Jihyo.

“She really does.” Nayeon intercepts.

“Sure. Let’s say you’re not delusional. What’s the worst thing that could happen? Tzuyu is still a teenager, she gets moody. And so were we at her age.” The younger leader says. “You still are but…”

“It’s more than just being moody, Jihyo. I swear I can feel her hate and anger in me.” Nayeon fists her hand.

“Nayeon-unnie…”

Nayeon exhales her breath. “Sorry, that was too much.”

“If I could, I’d do it. Really. But at the moment, I am a little bit occupied.” Jihyo says.

“Are you really that busy?”

“Actually, not really.” Jihyo says, a little flustered. She nearly giggled.

“Then why won’t you¾” Nayeon raises her hand in Jihyo's direction.

“I’ve been in this stadium since eight. You’ve been here for two hours.” She raises her two fingers. “The show is starting in three hours.” She then raises three fingers. “There’s plenty of things you and I can be bothered with instead of your little conundrum.” Jihyo says, stopping right before they push the backstage door.

“It’s not just a little conundrum.” Nayeon is disgruntled at how Jihyo is taking her situation.

“Yes, it is.” Jihyo states. Trying to get Nayeon to surrender. But now, Nayeon is still going.

“It’s just another concert, I can handle it and have fun with it. For three hours. But this problem, this Chou situation. It will last for months if you don’t do anything about it.” The older says. “This could really harm our team.”

“Then why don’t you do something about it.” Jihyo silences Nayeon as they continue their walk to the backstage corridor.

“Listen, I would love to help you. But is this a problem so miniscule 'our great Nayeon-unnie' can’t handle it?” Jihyo says to Nayeon who is having a hard time constructing words.

Nayeon is powerless againts Jihyo. She’s finally giving up. “Fine.”

“Thank you.” Jihyo is pleased. Nayeon is finally done.

“I’ll ask Jeongyeon.”

Jihyo stops her walk, peeved by Nayeon’s immaturity. But she really, really don’t wanna care about this anymore. Maybe it’s a little bit wiser to leave this to Jeongyeon.

And so they split paths. Jihyo heading to the left corridor and Nayeon to the right.