Lies

Lies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What you don't know won't hurt you."

I used to think that this phrase was a total joke. For as long as I can remember, I had the belief that it's better to be honest to each other no matter what result may come up than lie to each other. I guess a person's beliefs in life does change when they're actually put into that situation.

I wish I didn't know.

I wish I didn't have to see it.

I wish I didn't have to witness you cheating on me with your best friend the night before our engagement party.

As weird as it may sound I'm just glad. I'm glad it happened on the night before the engagement party and not the actual wedding. I don't know what I would tell my parents if I bailed out just a few hours before my wedding.

I couldn't cry.

I'm too mad to even have tears in my eyes. I'm too hurt to look at you as you stand in front of me while you beg for forgiveness. I look to your side and see your best friend standing beside you. She didn't look apologetic, too proud to feel sorry even when caught red-handed. I snickered at the sight of your best friend looking at me with cold eyes as if I'm the one to be blamed.

I look back at you and your tears are still flowing. If this is happening a few minutes ago, before I caught you, I would have wiped the tears away. I would have comforted you and tell you sweet comforting words. I hated to see you cry and be sad, but right now I want you to be. I want you to cry not because you cheated, but because you wasted 7 years of our relationship within just a matter of seconds.

“I'm packing my bags."

With a cold stare, I look at you.  I never thought I'd mutter that words ever in my life again after I left my parents’ home to be with you. I never thought that the time I would say it again is the time I'm leaving you. I never even thought about leaving you, but I guess every bit of it is just a thought now and the reality is that we're over.

“Chaewon, don't leave. You don't have to leave. I would go, I would give you space to think but please listen to me.”

You look at me sincerely and you tried to reach for my hand. It's as if you are trying to hold on and salvage whatever you could of what's left. If I was just anyone else I will think that you still cared but I know you. I know that you're saying that out of guilt and not because you cared. I will be damned if I fall for that.

“Don't even bother Minju. I'm just glad I found out before I tied myself with you and the now non-existent marriage.”

I pulled my hand away before yours could even touch it. I turned around to get out of this place. I heard your loud cries as you call my name. Then I heard a crash, the sound of your knees touching the ground as you fall. I looked back and was about to help you stand but Yujin beat me into it. I swallowed my pain and turned around again, this time I say to myself that I won't look back.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter