Chapter 4: The Cigarette

Shape Of You | #michaeng
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"I'm in love with the shape of you. We push and pull like a magnet do."

"Don't worry. You can make it up to me later."

Mina will never forget how she ends up doing part time day jobs and singing in night bars at the age of 25. Her idol girl group had hit rock bottom albeit struggling for four years before the company decided to call for a disbandment.

It was messy. Mina never see them again. Nor does she ever want to.

Since then, her terrible past and living a hard life change her perception towards a lot of things. She learns that people are dangerous. People tend to have motives. People like to repeat the same mistakes.

Mina feels she is the same. But as long as she stays guarded, then nobody will get to her.

Until a girl by the name of Chaeyoung crashes into her life.

Mina has assumed Chaeyoung is just like the rest. Deceitful and superficial. They take advantage of Mina simply because of her looks and being a lounge singer doesn't actually warrant respect from the community.

But Chaeyoung surprises her. The red headed girl is bold, suave and genuine. Chaeyoung looks at Mina like she wants to read her. Chaeyoung touches Mina like she wants to draw her. Chaeyoung smiles at Mina like she wants to give her hope.

For once in the longest time, Mina doesn't feel like trash.

Mina's heart skips a beat when Chaeyoung grabs her hand and brace herself for whoever is outside that door. It's a woman in her thirties, tapping on her foot impatiently with her arms crossed in front of her chest.

"Seriously, in the washroom? Can't you hold in your until you get a room? This is a public place, for God's sake!" She snaps at the two girls before pushing her way in, shoving Chaeyoung on purpose. Mina would've slap the spiteful woman if not for Chaeyoung dragging her away.

"What an old hag," she says, rolling her eyes as they return to the crowded bar.

"Does it hurt?" Mina asks.

"What?"

"I mean your shoulder. She pushed you."

"It's fine. I'm just glad that it's not you," Chaeyoung winks at her. There she goes again. Mina wonders if Chaeyoung really means her words or she's just messing with her.

"Say," Chaeyoung begins, "I need to talk to my friend for a bit. You can go grab your stuff first. I'll meet you outside, is that okay?"

Mina hesitates. Her heart can't help sprouting suspicion, second guessing if that is Chaeyoung's way of ditching her.

But Mina, why do you even care if she's ditching you or not?

Chaeyoung seems to understand Mina's hesitation, so she pulls Mina into a hug, "Don't leave me, Mina. I want to spend more time with you."

Just then, speaking of the devil, the person Chaeyoung is looking for appears out of nowhere.

"Yah shortie! Where the hell have you been?" Tzuyu's initial scowl quickly fade away as soon as she realizes her best friend has company. A very beautiful one.

Recognition crosses her face, "Aren't you the singer?"

Chaeyoung sighs, "Mina, this is Tzuyu. Tzuyu, Mina."

Not one for small talk, Mina greets Tzuyu with a curt smile before she excuses herself. Chaeyoung's eyes follow the woman's figure until she is completely out of sight.

A knowing grin creeps up on Tzuyu's face, "You know I was just joking. I never thought you would really go after her. Did you guys do it?"

Chaeyoung frowns at Tzuyu's bluntness, "She's more than a great . I want to get to know her, Tzuyu. So stay out of our way and don't come back home tonight.

"What, are you serious?!" Tzuyu exclaims.

"I'm dead serious," Chaeyoung replies, her expression deadpan.

At first Tzuyu glares at Chaeyoung, thinking she will cut it out and scream "I'm just kidding" to her. But Chaeyoung isn't wavering so it seems like she is indeed serious about Mina. Which is a rarity given her years of knowing Chaeyoung. Her best friend barely spare a single glance to all the girls who have gladly thrown themselves at her in the past, so what makes Mina stands out from the rest?

"Okay fine," Tzuyu relents, "I'll go to Dahyun's."

"Thanks. See you tomorrow," Chaeyoung gives Tzuyu a playful salute then exits the warm bar.

Mina is still nowhere to be seen so Chaeyoung decides to smoke just to kill time. The lighted cigarette sticks out in between her teeth, she stares at the glowing ember and lets her mind wanders to Mina.

There's no denying that Mina's unworldly existence captivates Chaeyoung. Not to mention she's blown away by what went down in the washroom. The sinful sounds she made is still blazing fresh in her mind. But Chaeyoung is smart. As much as people want to think that she is a heart breaker, she possesses the observant and sensitive traits of an artist. Chaeyoung notices the blunt edges around the hard exterior Mina is wearing like a shield. From her words, she knows Mina is lonely. That woman reminds Chaeyoung of a monochromatic painting. Beautiful and forlorn.

Most of the girls Chaeyoung met want her to themselves. But Mina is different. She doesn't want Chaeyoung because she never expects anything from her.

How much has Mina been through to become like this? Is that why she thinks Mina is more than just a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter