Chapter 1: The Singer

Shape Of You | #michaeng
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"The club isn't the best place to find a lover so the bar is where I go."

9 December 2018

CLOSED TWO WEEKS FOR WORKS OF MAINTENANCE. SORRY FOR ANY INCONVENIENCE CAUSED.

"What? Closed? What do you mean closed?!" a woman yells in exasperation. As two women loiters in front of the most popular club in Hongdae, the shorter one jabs a finger at the paper notice repeatedly. The shutter rattles from the force. Some passer-bys snicker at her dramatic tantrum, wondering if she has any manners.

"Quit yelling, Chaeyoung. We're in the middle of the street!" embarrassed for her friend's behavior, the taller woman quickly tugs at the unashamed woman's arms and pulls her away.

"M2 sure caused me serious inconvenience, now that I can't enjoy the night," Chaeyoung grumbles.

"Are you drunk?" asks the woman, "We haven't even touched a glass yet."

Chaeyoung rolls her eyes, "I'm not drunk."

It feels like to have your plans being washed down the drain, especially when you have been craving for it for the longest time. All Chaeyoung ever wants after a long week of work is a wild, zero-stress night in the club with her best friend. Maybe admire some y chicks (Yup, she swings that way, no kidding). Well, that's definitely not going to happen tonight. Pissed as , Chaeyoung digs into the pockets of her black trench coat for her box of Marlboro, her most reliable source of comfort. In one skillful flick of the silver lighter, she lights a cigarette and takes a long drag. The stick dangles loosely in between her fingers, glowing.

Her friend watches her in distaste. Her lips purses into a thin line.

It's winter in Seoul. The night is freezing at exactly zero degrees. Their faces turn red and numb from the icy breeze of the wind. It's so cold, the chills bite into their bones causing them to shiver under their thick coats. Despite the harsh coldness, people still swarm the young streets of Hongdae. The city is as lively as ever. 

"What do we do now, Tzuyu?" Chaeyoung asks her friend.

"Let's go to Bar Da. I actually don't feel like going to a club tonight," suggests Tzuyu, wrapping her brown pea coat closer to her body. 

"Well, as long as they have alcohol, I'm totally fine with anything," says Chaeyoung, nonchalantly. She savors the poisonous smoke one last time before she crunches the worn grayish of what used to be a glorious white stick under her boots.

Tzuyu leads Chaeyoung across the hustle and bustle, making their way at a fast pace, longing for some warmth. The duo are best friends since freshmen in Hongik University, being classmates in Business Admin and roommates of Room 207. They remains inseparable after graduation as they moved into a rented studio apartment together. As they adapt themselves to this new chapter of life, everyday falls into a same pattern: going to work in the morning, hanging out at night, just spending their twenties like any ordinary working class lady. It may seem boring to others but Chaeyoung feels like she's having the best time of her life. Enjoying her youth, free spirited and nothing huge to worry about.

"We're here," announces Tzuyu, her voice giddy when she pushes the door.

They're instantly greeted by a chorus of murmurs and laughter, a slow jazzy ballad playing in the background, the faint smell of cigarettes lingering in the air. The glassware and the neat collection of colorful bottles on the cabinets glint in the warm yellow lighting, casting an orange hue on the bar patrons and the rest of the furniture in the jam packed room. Unlike the club, this place is more laid-back but doesn't lack energy.

Tzuyu smiles as she sees the corners of Chaeyoung's lips quirk up. She knows her best friend too well. When Chaeyoung says she needs to take it easy, Bar Da is the right go-to place instead of M2. All the partying always cause her friend to be more worked up, in spite of Chaeyoung denying it many times. 

"This is perfect!" exclaims Chaeyoung. Her eyes scan around the room, gleaming in excitement. 

Tzuyu grins even wider.

They reach the counter and place their orders. Chaeyoung smirks as she caught Tzuyu staring at the bartender for five seconds longer than usual. She glances at the guy to get a good look at him. Yup, he looks like he just walked straight out from a fashion magazine, proving himself to be very handsome. His black hair is cr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter