Chapter 8

His Fallen Angel

Taking one of the empty chairs, Jinki pointed at a random drink from their sign. Absinthe. The word sounded cool enough which caused Jinki to have some ridiculously high expectations. When he was served, Jinki started at the tiny glass with an odd-looking green liquid in it. Sniffing it curiously, Jinki found that it smelled a little odd, but it was something he had smelled before. Copying those around him, Jinki tilted his head back and drank all of the liquid. Coughing and spluttering, he looked around in confusion to find something that would heal his burning throat. Grabbing a glass of iced water and almost drowning himself in the process of drinking it, Jinki took a bite of one of the chicken wings kept in a basket and went to heaven. The mild spices complemented the succulence of the food, and that was his undoing. Closing his eyes and savouring every bit, Jinki spent more time than he had originally planned. All he knew was that he would be back, every day. Now that he had found his haunt, Jinki returned back home and got Jonghyun back into bed.

Jonghyun woke up from a dream that seemed extremely real and just blinked a few times to ensure that he was indeed, in bed, and not gallivanting in the streets. He experienced a very weird headache, almost as if he'd been hit on the head with something very heavy. Not used to this strange kind of ache, Jonghyun sent a leave request to his boss and just stayed home to rest. Knowing his bad luck, it was probably a migraine, which he had no idea how to manage. Like a moron, he checked the internet which informed him that he had brain cancer, which left Jonghyun immensely shaken. 

(It isn't cancer. You're fine)

"I don't know what it is. I've never had such a throbbing headache like this. It feels as though someone is stabbing me in the brain"

(You need to rest. You'll be totally fine if you sleep)

Something about Jinki's voice seemed off. Instead of his usual sarcasm, he actually seemed nice, as though he cared. Taking it as pity, Jonghyun agreed and went back to bed, where Jinki kept sending soothing aromas and sounds to make him sleep well. Not even stopping to think for a moment if Jinki had any ulterior motive, Jonghyun instantly fell asleep.

Honestly, Jinki felt slightly guilty over the fact that his host was in pain. Another reason for him insisting that Jonghyun got some rest, was so that he could take full control at night. If the hosts weren't healthy, it would prove to be extremely hard for the angel to handle things. Since he had got a lot of plans for the following nights, Jinki really couldn't afford to let anything happen to Jonghyun. Focusing his attention to his original realm as Jonghyun slept, Jinki found out that he was still safe. No one had found out what he had done. Jinki had broken all the rules by responding to someone without being their guardian angel, moving to the human realm and taking control of their bodies. Permission or not, it was still wrong. Jinki let Jonghyun spend his day getting all the rest he needed, and stayed completely away.

Jonghyun woke up with his head feeling heavy, and his eyes quite unfocused. His vision seemed to be blurred and he couldn't see his drawer or anything that even vaguely resembled his room. Instead, all he could see was the colour white. Fluffy, white clouds and a pinkish-orange sky made him wonder if he was in an aeroplane. Looking around him, he saw someone sporting large wings, which showed him that he was still dreaming. Knowing that it was probably Jinki's doing, Jonghyun calmed down and continued to rest.

Jinki, meanwhile, was holding his aching head in his hands. Something terrible had just happened, which he should have stopped. He should have known what would happen once a link was created between him and Jonghyun. Without him knowing, Jonghyun had somehow just seen the angel realm. Something that was forbidden for mortals. All he had to do, was try to erase that image from Jonghyun's memory, no matter how hard it proved to be, and most importantly, he had to ensure that it never happened again. 

The next time he awoke, Jonghyun felt a lot calmer than he had been earlier. The dream seemed to stay with him, and the more he thought about what he had seen, the happier he felt. Something within made him want to do something with this before he forgot, and so Jonghyun took out a canvas and some oil paints and set to replicate the scene to the best of his abilities. His concentration never wavering, Jonghyun spent around two hours painting what he considered was his best work yet. He'd got the colours of the sky exactly right, but had a bit of trouble with the figure he had seen. Though it wasn't easy, he started with the body and wings first and finally finished the being he had seen. He had painted the figure as though he was looking at himself in a mirror, with his dark wings spread. Although he didn't know who he had painted, this being was without a doubt, one of the most handsome creatures he had ever seen. With his slightly elfin face and sunny smile, the being was slowly capturing a place in Jonghyun's heart. This was definitely his masterpiece, and at this moment, the only regret Jonghyun had was not pursuing his career in art. Too bad the being was just a figment of his imagination, Jonghyun would have liked to meet him.

Jinki returned to the human realm only to get a shock. Standing right in the middle of Jonghyun's living room, was a portrait of him looking at his own reflection. How could he have been so stupid and careless as to not erase the memory at that instant? Now Jonghyun knew what he looked like. This wouldn't do at all. 

(Jonghyun, who is this person?)

"I have no idea. I dreamed of him. Isn't he handsome?"

(He sure is)

Waiting for when he could take control again, Jinki planned on how he could make Jonghyun forget all about that stupid mistake of his.