2/3

When We Were Young
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Who is that?”

Kyuhyun raises a quizzical brow to Ryeowook. Ryeowook pulls out his books for the next classes from his locker and closes it shut. He hugs the books close to his chest and one almost slips out of his grip. Kyuhyun catches it right before it hits the floor and Ryeowook mutters a quiet thank you. Damn it. Kyuhyun helps hold some books of his while they walk through the hallway, towards their next class.

“You meant the guy I was talking to?” Ryeowook questions and when Kyuhyun nods, Ryeowook doesn’t know why he’s suddenly nervous. “That’s Hyukjae.”

“Who?”

“He’s the co-captain of the soccer team.” Ryeowook tells his best friend, “We’re also in the same biology class and we’re working on a project together with another one of our classmates.”

Ryeowook doesn’t know why he’s feeling the way he feels as he tells Kyuhyun about Hyukjae. It’s not like it’s a secret or anything but it feels weird. It’s been about a week since he’s met Donghae and accompanied him to the soccer try-out – which he totally got in by the way. Ryeowook’s found out that Donghae and him had been classmates all along in Biology and they’ve decided to work together on their assignment along with Hyukjae, a friend of Donghae’s.

Kyuhyun doesn’t know about Donghae.  Ryeowook didn’t think that it’s something worth mentioning. Or is it? Ryeowook doesn’t know as well. Donghae’s just another friend that Ryeowook’s made, another friend that Ryeowook hangs out with whenever Kyuhyun is with Eva. Kyuhyun never asked so Ryeowook doesn’t think that it’s worth mentioning anyway.

“So, I was thinking, let’s grab a pizza after school and watch that new show on Netflix.” Kyuhyun suggests, “I heard it’s pretty good.”

Ryeowook tilts his head, “What show?”

“You know, the ones with-”

“Oh wait!” Ryeowook cuts Kyuhyun, “I can’t today.”

“Aw, why?” Kyuhyun pouts like a lost puppy.

“There’s a game today.” Ryeowook tells Kyuhyun.

Kyuhyun looks at him like he’s lost his damn mind and Ryeowook sighs and continues, “The soccer team from Seoul Boys School are coming over and playing against out school’s team today.”

Kyuhyun continues looking at him like he’s completely crazy, “Soccer? Since when do you-”

Kyuhyun stops midway and turns around as if there’s something behind. He looks back to Ryeowook, looking like he has a billion questions on his mind, “Since when do you…. I…. Is it…. You’re going to this game?”

“Yeah.” Ryeowook his suddenly-very-dry-lips, “I just thought I’d give some support.”

“Uh…. Okay.” Kyuhyun stops outside of Ryeowook’s next classroom, passing the books to him, “I guess we should try something new. I’ll see you later?”

Ryeowook nods and Kyuhyun squeezes his shoulders before he walks to his next class. Ryeowook releases a deep sigh, not realizing that he’s been holding his breath all this time.

What the hell just happened?

Three hours later Ryeowook’s keeping all his books back into his locker. He closes his locker and receives a text from Kyuhyun, telling him that he’s coming over in five minutes. Ryeowook bites his lips and leans back against the metal lockers. He wonders why he feels unsettled. It’s not like it’s a big deal. He’s just going to watch a game with Kyuhyun, nothing more. But why does it feels so… Weird?

While he waits for his best friend, Ryeowook pulls out his phone and texts Donghae, wishing him a good luck. He knows how nervous Donghae’s been about this game. It turns out that Donghae and Ryeowook live just a few blocks away and on the days that Kyuhyun doesn’t walk him home, Donghae walks him home. Sometimes, they’d get ice cream and take the long route home, just talking about everything and nothing. Donghae’s really nice and sweet and Ryeowook actually… Likes him. Like, Ryeowook kind of has a little crush on him.

Kyuhyun arrives and the both of them head for the field. Ryeowook takes a deep breath and he finds his seat. The school’s soccer team is already on the field, doing their stretching and warming up. Ryeowook spots Donghae in his red jersey, a bold number 8 printed on the back. A slow smile spreads across Ryeowook’s face as he watches Donghae jogging around the field. Ryeowook remembers how happy Donghae had been after his try-outs when the captain told him that he got in.

As the opposing team steps into the field, they start the game. There are a few other audiences on the bleachers and they’re clapping their hands and cheering for their friends while the game goes on. Ryeowook watches with full concentration. He’s never been a fan of sports but this time, he’s one hundred percent invested in this because his friend, okay not just a friend, his little crush, Lee Donghae is playing and he wants him to win so bad.

“I never knew you liked soccer.” Kyuhyun comments and Ryeowook turns, looking at him. He never noticed how silent Kyuhyun had been all this time that Ryeowook’s almost forgotten that he’s right there.

“Oh.” Ryeowook doesn’t know what else to say.

Kyuhyun holds Ryeowook’s gaze but Ryeowooks breaks apart, eyes focusing back onto the game. As the game comes to an end forty-five minutes later, Ryeowook’s jumping up and down, cheering happily because they’ve won, 1 - 0! Boy, had that been an intense game.

The spectators start going off, some of them going down to the field to greet their friends. Ryeowook turns to Kyuhyun and points to the soccer boys.

“Do… Do you mind if I-”

“Go ahead.” Kyuhyun replies a bit too fast, “I’ll… I’ll wait here.”

“Okay.”

Ryeowook promises Kyuhyun that he’ll be right back and goes down. He high-fives Hyukjae, congratulating him and before he’s about to find Donghae, he feels arms hugging him from the back. He turns around to find Donghae grinning down at him. He’s sweaty and his hair is falling into his eyes and Ryeowook still thinks that he’s the most handsome person he’s ever seen.  Ryeowook hugs him excitedly.

“Hey you.” Donghae says as they break the hug, “Did you see that? I scored a goal!”

“I did!” Ryeowook nods his head eagerly, “That was so cool!”

They continue chatting about the game because it was quite an intense game. Some of the other soccer boys come over and join in the conversation and they keep telling Ryeowook about Donghae because Donghae scoring a goal at the very last minute made him the star of the game and Ryeowook couldn’t have been prouder. Donghae asks Ryeowook to join him and the soccer boys for dinner to celebrate their win but Ryeowook suddenly remembers Kyuhyun and he politely declines Donghae. Before he leaves, Ryeowook gives another hug to Donghae and Donghae hugs him back whispering a thank you into Ryeowook’s ears.

Ryeowook heads back to Kyuhyun and wonders what Kyuhyun is thinking because he knows that Kyuhyun had been watching hm. He can feel Kyuhyun’s eyes on him the whole time. Kyuhyun’s eyes is full of questions but he doesn’t say anything. He only stands up and the both of them silently make their way back home.

When they finally arrive at Ryeowook’s doorstep, Kyuhyun breaks the tense silence. He clears his throat and says, “So… Number 8?”

Ryeowook knows Kyuhyun is talking about Donghae but he doesn’t understand why Kyuhyun sounds a little… Irritated?

“Oh. Uh, yeah.” Ryeowook awkwardly shifts from one foot to another, “He’s a friend.”

“Didn’t know you knew any of the soccer boys.” Kyuhyun says, “They seem to know you.”

“Yeah.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter