1/3

When We Were Young
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Don’t grow up, they said. It’s a trap. One day you’re seventeen, standing on the doorsteps of your high school, your head held high, your eyes shine with passion and hope and your heart yearns for wild new adventures and the next, you’re twenty-six and all of that that once made you all that you were nine years ago has vanished into the years of growing up.

Kim Ryeowook closes his eyes and breathes. His finger traces the silver band wrapped around his finger, and as he opens his eyes, the tiny speckles of diamonds greets him gently glinting in the sun. He gazes down to the ring, a promise of infinity gazes right back at him and he feels it deep in his heart.

“One day, Kim Ryeowook, I’m going to marry you.”

Ryeowook remembers the silly grin first, and then the deep brown eyes that promised the world. He remembers how his six-year-old heart had suddenly started beating a little too fast, how the boy who had promised him marriage had ran off, climbing down the treehouse that was their favourite spot and sped away back home. Ryeowook remembers how his lips had curled into a shy smile, whispering into the cool air the same promise:

“I’ll marry you too.”

Ryeowook huffs a quiet laugh. He finds it amusing, really. He can barely remember what he had for breakfast, but here he is, reliving a ten-year-old memory. He remembers everything as clear as day, and he wonders how some memories can remain so vividly in a human’s so very busy mind? Ryeowook remembers that from then on, everything’s changed. Six-years old Ryeowook went home and told his family that he’d marry his best friend, eight-years old Ryeowook arranged his action figures as his best men, ten-years old Ryeowook looked at every magazine that featured a man wearing a suit – because guys got married in suits.

Arms suddenly wraps themselves around Ryeowook’s waist and he feels soft lips pressing against the back of his head. Ryeowook smiles softly, turning his head to his husband, greeting him with a kiss to his lips. They don’t say anything, they don’t need to. It’s been a long day and the both of them are just content to be here, in each other’s arms, away from the crowd outside celebrating their love. Ryeowook relaxes into the warmth of his husband’s arms, his eyes scans through the crowd below. The couples dancing, his friends chattering, his family taking pictures. He spots Heechul, his brother and his best friend, Leeteuk, getting drunk by the bar, Sungmin and his lovely wife dancing with their three-year old in pigtails and the cutest pink dress anyone has ever seen. His eyes catches Hyukjae, a close friend of his and his husband’s, and the handsome man gives them a gummy smile. Ryeowook sees Henry, his little brother, breaking a move down the dance floor and girls surround him, with their phones pointing at him.

“He never gets tired of the attention, doesn’t he?” His husband chuckles and Ryeowook laughs because that’s Henry for you.

Ryeowook catches a few other of his close friends – Zhou MI’s helping an old lady to refill her glass of water, Siwon is standing by the side with a drink in his hand, his head bobbing to the music, Shindong is on his way to the buffet area, his fifth meal for the day. Ryeowook gives a thankful nod to each one who catches his eyes and they grin back at him.

“Does this comes close to your childhood dream wedding?” His husband teasingly asks.

Ryeowook scans his guests once more, this time much slower. He’s looking for someone he knows won’t be there and his heart doesn’t stop itself from being disappointed. He turns to his husband however and when he sees the dazzling smile on the man he is able to call his husband now, Ryeowook knows that there’s no disappointment tonight, there never will be any more. Because right now, he’s in the arms of the most amazing man, he’s married to the man of his dreams and nothing can compare.

“This is definitely much better,” Ryeowook whispers and tiptoes, kissing his husband on his lips.

***

“You ruined everything!”

Six-years old Kim Ryeowook stops in his tracks and turns around. He’s met with a boy of his age, with pale skin and huge doe-like teary eyes. Ryeowook tilts his head, confused because the boy is pointing his fingers at him and he doesn’t know what he’s done.

“Me?” Ryeowook asks.

“Yes, you!” The boy’s tears start falling as he points at something on the grass, “Look! Look at them! You broke them!”

Ryeowook takes a closer look and oh, he sees them now. It’s some action figures and true enough, Ryeowook must have accidently stepped onto them and broke them. Some of their arms had come off and Ryeowook rushes to them.

“Oh no! I’m sorry!” Ryeowook apologizes quickly, “I… I didn’t see.”

Ryeowook fumbles with the parts, fixing them into place. It’s not that Ryeowook’s some kind of genius, but he has a crazy little brother who is always breaking his toys and he knows they’re actually pretty fixable, especially action figures because they’re meant for fighting. How else would Ironman fight with Captain America anyway if they’re not fixable? Someone has to fall apart in the end. Once Ryeowook’s done fixing them, he returns them to the boy who is watching him.

“Here, sorry.” Ryeowook says again.

“It’s… It’s okay.” The boy wipes away his unshed tears and takes the blue power ranger Ryeowook is holding to him.

Ryeowook stands up and is about to leave when the boys suddenly offers a black power ranger action figure to him and says, “Wanna play?”

Ryeowook shrugs and the both of them pretend that they’re in an intense fight. They make sound effects, some body parts get broken and without realizing it’s almost sunset. Ryeowook dusts away some grass on his pants and smiles to the boy.

“You have many toys,” Ryeowook points at the box by the boy’s side and then tells himm “My brother and I share our toys so I can’t bring them to the playground.”

“My sister doesn’t like action figures,” The boy shrugs, “So I bring them here.”

“I wish I can bring my toys too. It’s so much more fun with the rangers at the playground!”

The boy grins, “Hey, we can share the next time!”

Ryeowook nods eagerly as he imagines bringing the power rangers on an adventure through the playground, up the monkey bars and down the slide.

“That sounds fun! Will you be here tomorrow?” Ryeowook asks.

“Yeah!”

“Okay then, I’ll see you tomorrow!” Ryeowook waves at him and starts walking back because it’s getting late and he has to be home. But before he gets any further he hears the boy calling him.

“Hey!” He calls, standing up. “What’s your name!?”

“Ryeowook!” Ryeowook shouts back.

“My name’s Kyuhyun!” The boy, Kyuhyun, shouts back and then waves at him. “See you tomorrow, Ryeowook!”

Ryeowook shouts, “See you, Kyuhyun!”

Ryeowook waves and then turns and walks back home. Only when he gets home and tells his parents of the new friend he’s made is that he realizes that he’s been smiling all the way through.

***

“You look terrible.”

Ten-year old raises an eyebrow at his best friend, Kyuhyun, who looks really sick. Kyuhyun’s pale skin seems to look even paler than normal and his cheeks look a little too red to be normal. Kyuhyun squeezes his eyes and sneezes suddenly and groans.

“I’m sick.” Kyuhyun says, walking back into the house. He drops onto the couch ungracefully and then grabs a few pieces of tissues, blowing into them.

Ryeowook frowns, pitying his best friend. He hasn’t been in school for the last two days and since they’re in the same class, Ryeowook offered to bring today’s homework to Kyuhyun. Not like his friend is going to be doing any work anyway at this rate. Kyuhyun looks so sick, Ryeowook’s sure he doesn’t even have even strength to hold a pencil.

“Where’s your mother?” Ryeowook asks, looking around Kyuhyun’s house.

“In the kitchen, making me soup.” Kyuhyun replies, voice hoarse, “Gosh, I hate falling sick.”

“School’s boring without you.” Ryeowook says, “What have you been doing all day?”

“Sleeping.” Kyuhyun grumbles, “Eating yucky medicines.”

Ryeowook frowns just imagining the taste of bitter medicines. He’s thankful he’s not the sick one but it’s devastating seeing Kyuhyun like this. Kyuhyun’s usually so lively and happy all the time that it’s a little weird to see him like this. Where had the boy with action figures at the playground went to? Ryeowook watches as Kyuhyun sneezes again and this time, he groans and his head falls back against the couch, his eyes squeezed shut.

“Maybe I should leave and let you rest.” Ryeowook says, “You look tired.”

“I wanna play.” Kyuhyun whines, “I’m so bored!”

“But you’re sick.”

Kyuhyun shrugs and his mother suddenly comes into the living room and greets Ryeowook warmly. Ryeowook likes Kyuhyun’s mother. She’s so nice and kind, just like her son. Kyuhyun’s mother brings soup to him and offers to feet him but Kyuhyun makes a little noise from the back of his throat and his eyes shifts from his mother to Ryeowook, his cheeks flushing a little.

“Oh right,” His mother suddenly says, stifling a laugh, “You’re a big boy now.”

“I can eat myself, Mum.” Kyuhyun says.

His mother taps his head and then tells him to eat before he leaves. Ryeowook wonders if Kyuhyun feels embarrassed to be fed in front of him. Kyuhyun’s a sick boy so he understands. Kyuhyun begins scooping his soup and eat but halfway through, he’s pushing away his bowl.

“I really can’t eat.” Kyuhyun complains, “My throat hurts, my head is in pain and I feel like I’m going to die.”

“If you die, I’ll be really sad.” Ryeowook says, “Whose going to play at the playground with me?”

Kyuhyun thinks about this, tilting his head as he does so. “Siwon can play with you.”

“And keep high-fiving me? No thanks.” Ryeowook frowns, “Maybe I’ll just play with myself.”

“That sounds really lonely, Wookie.” Kyuhyun smiles and then he picks up the spoon once again

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter