Earthshine

Synchronicity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

How is this happening?

Just what in the world is this book?

Magic is only an understatement. Divine intervention? Probably.

Everyone in the small meeting room was shocked to hear Yuri’s remark, including the young director discussing in front. Aghast, Yuri slowly gathered herself and calmly placed the book in front of her, hiding it below a pile of presentation notes. After her remark, she found herself looking at Yena, whose head was titled and with eyes wide, also looking at her with amazement painted throughout her face. Her head slowly turned to her side, where she also saw a confused Chaewon looking at her, with eyes asking “how”.

Following the serene moment of silence, a slow clap was heard from the person announcing in front.

“Wow, Miss Yuri! Exactly! In This World, There is Only Love! I knew you’re really something!” Yena exclaimed, facing Yuri with wide eyes that sparkle with extreme feelings of happiness and astonishment.

“But wait, how did you know that? That’s not even included in my pointers!”, Yena added, with that pout on her face.

“Yeah, Yuri, how did you know that? Wait, have you discussed this earlier and I have missed something?” Chaewon faced her partner, looking all curious and excited.

Yuri was mesmerized with the sudden events. Being a strong person that she is, she gathered all her force and collected herself in a second.

“I don’t know, I just thought it sounded well together” Yuri answered with a puppy smile on her face, sounding all confident. “I figured that it’s also true, though. There is only love in this world, right?”

Dissatisfied with her answer, Chaewon turned to her and her eyes narrowed in suspicion. Yuri wasn’t quite sure which statement got her disagreeing. Maybe both? Who knows.

“W-well then… We won’t know for sure unless we dwell into the story, right?” Yena announced, as she dramatically put on her cap, just like those movie detectives. “You’re in for a ride, fellas. So are you in or out?”, she inquired.

“Well, then”, gathering all the notes in front of her and tucking it in together, “give us a week and we’ll get back to you.” Yuri added.

“Sure, sure. Just let me know. Anyway, how would I know?” Yena asked, shrugging.

“What do you mean?”

Walking towards Yuri’s seat, Yena took a business card from her wallet and gave it to Yuri. “Let’s exchange numbers, Miss Yuri. For project communication purposes, of course”

Yuri respectfully accepted the business card with a simple gesture of bowing her head. She also reached for hers, stood up, and handed it to Yena. As she was handing her card over, she took a moment to stare at the young director in front of her. She analyzed her face, how her lips are pouted to that point, why is her shirt oversized; she was intrigued.

Chaewon also took her calling card and as she was about to hand it to Yena, the young director immediately turned her back and returned in front.

“I knew she only wanted Yuri’s number”, Chaewon pronounced under her breath as she clicked her tongue in annoyance.

Hyewon then stood up, fixing her suit, and announced, “If JYR Studio agrees with every requirement, as stated by Miss Yena, then we could immediately proceed with the actual project”

“We understand. If we ever have concerns regarding the project, we will get back to you, Miss Hyewon, or we could also directly contact Miss Yena. We’ll discuss this really soon!” Chaewon explained to Hyewon enthusiastically. “Excitement” is the perfect word to describe Chaewon’s expression at the very moment.

“Well then, I think we will be on our way now. Thank you, Miss Hyewon.” Yuri, bowed and offered her hand for a handshake with Hyewon. “And to you, too, Miss Yena. Looking forward to be working with you” she added, as she also bowed and offered her hand.

Yena took her hand and held it delicately. It was soft and gentle, warm and embracing. Their eyes met again as they were shaking each other’s hands slowly. Yuri, astonished by the events of that meeting, still has that expressionless look on her face. On the other hand, Yena had the biggest smile of her face – a perfect smile, making the pouting lips vanish to the curve of extreme feeling of joy.

“I’ll see you soon, Miss Yuri.”

It was already afternoon and Yuri and Chaewon left the establishment and immediately hopped inside the car. As Yuri seated in front, she took off her coat, folded it, and placed it on her lap and let out a sigh of relief as she was finally out of the chaos that happened back there. For her, it was a moment of bliss.

“Shall we head back now and do some recap on our own?” Chaewon asked.

“Sure” Yuri answered as she let out a powerful yawn.

“How are you feeling? You look beat. Are you alright, Yuri? Do you want to go home for now?”

“Yes I am. Come on, let’s head back to the studio for now” Yuri answered as she rested her head well and shut her eyes.

Looking baffled, Chaewon just ignored what she was feeling about Yuri’s condition and just drove back to the studio. She was confident, though, that her partner would be able to channel her energy to kill whatever’s living inside her mind.

They drove for an hour, passing the roads leading to the studio in silence. They were both tired, especially Yuri. Chaewon looked a little tired, as well. Passing through a little traffic jam, she took a glance at the sleeping pup right beside her. She let out a smile at the sight of her hardworking partner at a state where she seems so vulnerable, with her soft body tucked warmly in her orange coat – her most comfortable state.

Before she noticed it, the little jam dispersed and they’re in front of the studio.

Shaking the sleeping pup, she blurted out, “JO YURI! Wake up! We’re finally here!!!”

Yuri’s cute little snores just made the silence more annoying to Chaewon so she planned on doing it again. This time, before she was able to shake Yuri, the pup suddenly bolted up.

“YENA!”

“What?”

“What.”

A sudden gust of wind bringing upon pure silence with an awkward flavor passed through the two. Without saying a single word, Yuri got out of the car and headed straight inside.

Looking at the figure that is combing her hair and walking sloppily towards the studio, Chaewon thought,

“Wow. They’ve just met today and she actually dreamt of her during a one hour drive. Interesting”

 

-

 

The two entered Yuri’s office and sat on their respective seats. Chaewon could still see that her partner is tired and decided to just relax on the couch first. Growing impatient, Chaewon decided to break the silence.

“Yuri, be honest with me. What parts have you noted during the meeting earlier?” Chaewon asked as she put both of her hands on Yuri’s desk, questioning her.

“You looked so lost. You just stared at the director the entire time looking like a complete idiot. You know, I’m just worried about you. How are you feeling?” She added.

“Look, sorry. It’s just that…” Yuri answered, feeling a little anxious.

“What? You could tell me everything. I’m your partner. I got you” Chaewon answered as softly as she could and placed her hand on Yuri’s shoulder, putting herself to keep Yuri reassured.

“Maybe I was just overwhelmed. This is a fresh project for us and that director. We haven’t done anything major in months so I guess I was still processing things during the meeting. Yes, maybe I was just overwhelmed.” Yuri answered with her puppy smile, as she took Chaewon’s hand from her shoulder.

“I’m totally fine. Let’s discuss everything now, trusty partner.” She added, as her smile grew bigger, which made Chaewon feel contented with her partner’s current state. Chaewon then sat on her favorite spot in Yuri’s office, tucked her coat well, and fixed her hair, getting ready for a long discussion. Chaewon grabbed her pointers containing her notes from the meeting and decided to lead the discussion. They then discussed all the points of the meeting.

Chaewon started with the basic matters, the initial details of the project. Followed by the more complicated musical requirements, equipment and film score. Yuri caught up pretty well as the discussion progressed and even stated her opinions on some matters.

The two had never been this focused and concentrated on a single thing before. Most of the time, Chaewon’s idea on things would exactly be the thing that Yuri doesn’t like. Sometimes, they get along well on a certain breakeven point but that won’t last long.

Chaewon leads the music and instrumentals of their studio because she is the type of person whose strength is intensified through release of tension from the notes, melodies and harmonies produced through the sound waves, similar to the music formed from crashing waves. On the other hand, Yuri leads the vocal section of the studio as she was the timid type of person who believes in the inner potential of a person. She believes that their own art would be their own selves and to manifest it for other people would be the greatest medium of all, similar to the ship that stays strong even to the most violent of seas.

This is the combo of Yuri and Chaewon, a truly unbreakable partnership which keeps the flame of JYR Studio ablaze.

They had finished the discussion well until Yuri’s phone rang. Chaewon heard and gestured to let Yuri take the call.

“Hello, who’s this?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter