First Star

Synchronicity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sky is surprisingly calm and the melodies of nature are caressing the hearts of every person in this certain spot in Seoul. Morning was a blessing to everyone awake enough to appreciate its beauty.

Yuri woke up from her sleep feeling motivated as she was finally having a gig after months of what seemed to be a hiatus from the industry. As soon as she stood up, she played a collection from Bach’s Cello Suites on her music player and danced gracefully to every note that’s reaching her ears.

She swayed freely, as if she’s the happiest person on earth at this very moment. She knows that it would be a good day. As she went towards the kitchen, passing her beloved grand piano in her living room, she went towards the window and looked outside.

The view is a perfect painting – a right blend of light blue mixed with the strong, bright rays of the sun, glinting through the spaces between the buildings. Clear clouds provide for that light shade of gray to balance all the brightness.

Hey, the sunrise finally came.

Soon I will reach you, I wish you’re still out there.

 

 -

 

Wearing her everyday fashion, her favorite orange coat and a checkered shirt, Yuri left her apartment where she found Chaewon already waiting for her outside in her car.

“Wow, you’re up early. I totally did not expect that” Yuri told Chaewon.

“Just hop on, I’m in for a good day today. Anyway, you got our samples there?” she inquired.

“OH! Thanks for reminding me. Wait, I’ll check; I think I got it here”

Yuri scrambled through her bag to look for it but she didn’t find any trace of the CDs containing some sample material. Panicking, she suggested, “Let’s head to the studio first, I think I left it on my desk.”

“Wow, Jo Yuri you must be getting old.”

Chaewon drove the car and they went back at the studio. Yuri headed to her office and frantically searched for the CDs inside her office.

There she found it, just laying on top her desk. For some reason, she noticed that she just brought the yellow book home instead of the CDs yesterday. Yuri’s forehead immediately met her hand as she felt like she was the dumbest person on earth that time.

*HONK HONK*

Chaewon honked her car repeatedly signaling Yuri to hurry up. Yuri brought the CDs, locked her office and went outside.

“Okay, let’s go. PD Productions, on Coral St. I think you know where that is.” Yuri said.

“Hell yes, I do! Let’s go!”

Chaewon stepped on the gas and headed immediately to their destination. It’s just about an hour and a half away from the studio and since they were up early, they’re confident that they will arrive there on time so Chaewon just casually drove like it’s just another day.

Feeling bored, Yuri the radio, tuning in to find good FM stations for some sounds during their travel. She cannot ride any vehicle without music playing.

“..and today’s horoscope for Leo reads…”

“What in the sh-“ Yuri said in a faint voice. Yuri is not a fan of horoscopes and as she was about to turn the dial once again,

“NOPE. Don’t you dare tune that away, woman.” Chaewon reprimanded her. “Turn up the volume and listen to every single word that comes out of this radio!”, she added.

“…you will be lucky for something concerning your work! Your relationships with your friends would be excellent. If by chance you meet a white pigeon today, take it as a sign that you will do well today…”

“Jo Yuri, you see, if we ever get a glance of some white pigeon around here, we’ll know that it would be a good day today!” Chaewon exclaimed, excitingly.

“…for love life, a Leo will have a perfect romantic relationship with an Aquarius today…”

“YOU HEAR THAT, JO YURI?! GUESS WHO’S AN AQUARIUS? HA HA HA!”

“…however, love would only blossom if both parties wore shirts that are of the same color, especially RED…”

Yuri slowly turned her head to Chaewon to check the color of shirt.

Alas.

It was mint.

Chaewon noticed Yuri looking at her and also took a glance on the shirt she’s wearing. The moment she noticed, she slammed on the steering wheel, letting out a loud beep from the car. Yuri can’t help but laugh out loud at the sight of a fuming Chaewon.

“You actually believe those things? You actually believe that you’ll never have a chance with Minju because of the color?” Yuri asked, laughing.

“Maybe they got it wrong this time but you still got to believe in something!” Chaewon answered.

After a fast, good hour drive, they finally arrived at their destination, just in front of PD Productions. Being a little bit early to their appointment, they decided to stay in the car for a few minutes.

“Wait, look here. If a mint-colored car appears in the next 60 seconds, then that red horoscope thing is a scam”, Chaewon declared confidently.

“What’s a mint-colored car got to do with your romantic relationship with Minju?!” Yuri asked.

“Wonders of synchronicity.” She answered.

It has been 60 seconds and no mint-colored car was in sight. At this point, Yuri is looking at Chaewon with the most arrogant smirk she had in life. Feeling a little bit disappointed, Chaewon suggested that they just go in the studio and meet representative Ms. Kang. Both went inside the studio when, suddenly, Yuri noticed she forgot her phone on the seat.

“Chaewon, may I borrow the keys? I think I left my phone there.” Yuri said.

“Here. Just lock it when you’re done, I’ll look for their reception room.” Chaewon explained as she handed the car keys to Yuri.

Yuri went outside and opened the front door of the car. There, on the front seat, she left her phone. She took it and then again, her forehead meets her hand, feeling like a very forgetful old woman.

As she was heading back to the studio, she noticed something peculiar that caught her attention.

There was a car parked right across the street.

A mint-colored car.

 

-

 

“Good morning, Miss Jo Yuri. I’m Kang Hyewon, head of operations of PD Productions.” Hyewon introduced herself. The woman with a dashing black suit welcomed the two.

“Good morning. I am Jo Yuri, from JYR Studio and here is my partner and adviser, Kim Chaewon. Pleased to meet you.”

“Hi, I’m Kim Chaewon. Nice to meet you. We’re really excited on working with all of you!”

The three finally made their greeting to each other and Hyewon guided them on the way to a meeting room with a small round table. The walls were colored with a shade of peach, where each side has a painting, making the guests feel very relaxed and comfortable.

“The main director of the film project is still on the way. I would also like to share that this would be her first time as a director!” Hyewon announced to the two. “Please, have a seat.”

“What do you mean?” Yuri asked, “it’s her first time doing her own film?”

“Yes. Though she worked as an assistant director of one of our best directors here for years now, so she have some experience in the field. We’ve been wanting to give that young talent her big break so we thought that the time is now.”

“Why choose us?”

“We thought you were the best in the field. And we are confident that you would create a magnificent project in this collaboration” Hyewon ended with a smile. “Anyway, I’ll leave you guys here for now, she’d be here any minute. See you later!” she added.

“Thank you miss Kang Hyewon!”

Yuri and Chaewon were mesmerized by that remark. They haven’t had a big project for months but they’re still being recognized for their work. That became a moment where they regained the motivation that was slowly depreciating in time.

“Best in the field. Woooh. Those were words I haven’t heard in a long time.” Chaewon said as she laid her back well on her chair, feeling extremely relaxed.

“This is exciting. We will be working with a fresh director. I wonder ho

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter