twelve

What If....
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

12.

 

It was raining heavily ever since Chanyeol stepped out from his office and rush for the meeting with board of directors of the hospital that his family owns. Today would be the day that he is supposed to be formally introduced to all the shareholders on that special meeting but here he is, still stuck in the middle of the road as the traffic was heavy due to the bad weather. The roads are slippery, thus all radio broadcasts station including news have reminded the drivers to drive carefully so that we could avoid any kind of unwanted events.

Chanyeol glances at Secretary Jung whose having his brows furrowed, probably stressing over the traffic jam and the thought of making his employer late for the meeting. “Don’t worry too much, Hyung. Dad would understand.”

“But still, sir. It’s already 4 p.m.”

“Safety is more important, isn’t it?”

Upon hearing that coming from the young heir of the legacy, Secretary Jung nods obediently and stays focused on the road. And so is Chanyeol, his head turns to the right, quietly watching the rainfall for the first time in summer this year. Of course, he loves bright and sunny day but to have a weather like this sometimes, it feels nice too.

Just like an innocent little kid, the tip of his finger touches the car window, trailing down the raindrop that hits it. He smiles to his own act, enjoying the little thing that he should do when he was younger. As Chanyeol grows up to be the only heir for continuing his family’s legacy, he is already being burdened even as just a kid. All those times that he was supposed to spend with friends to play and explore the world without worrying about anything were replaced by social etiquette classes, piano and violin lessons and also academic tuitions.

While the kids at his age were chortling gleefully, he stays being on his own world of loneliness.

But Chanyeol is one tough kid, he never backs down and always thinks that this is his fate, this is his responsibility thus he must bear it all – until Ye Eun came and gave him a taste of life. Of how is it felt to have all those butterflies in your bellies, of how the love feels like. She was the heaven, but unfortunately also the hell.

It has been one year since the woman of his life left.

And Chanyeol has already decided to let it all go as he needs to continue facing the reality of his life. To stand on where he should be. To do what needs to be done. Not only for his family, but for the families of all the employees under the huge legacy.

That young man is suddenly snapped out of his reverie, at the same time also gets surprised by the sudden brake that his secretary made. He realized that they have already reached right in front of the entrance of their destination but at the moment when he wanted to turn to the person beside him to ask what’s wrong, Secretary Jung has already turned pale as if something is not right.

“Sir, I think I just hit someone accidentally.”

Chanyeol was shocked as much as Secretary Jung, but he was faster to react to get out from the car. He runs outside to check it with his own eyes then the pair of eyes of Chanyeol’s met a pregnant young lady toughly getting up by herself, ignoring the blood on her scraped palms and ankles before she hisses, “Move away, the babies are coming!”

 

And that was how they met.

 

 

 

I hear Minseok sighing as he glances at Hyun Joon who is sitting by my side. My head pins down, it has never crossed my mind that this moment could happen for real. Of me introducing the twins to him, I thought it would never be possible. Because he resented me so much, and perhaps because I think of him as my own brother, I get scared after he went furious at me when he found out that I left Baekhyun. Although I have tried to forget it for multiple times, my mind has again brought me to the scar in my heart from six years ago – of the words that Minseok uttered back then.

“I never thought the girl I grew up with could be this disgusting.”

Or those that he said when they last met each other at the fundraising event.

“I thought you would end up being somebody after throwing off someone so heartlessly.”

Seeing me freezing in my position, Chanyeol thoughtfully approaches my son then takes the boy out from the room, allowing myself to have a private talk with Minseok. We surely have a lot to say between us. And silently, my dam of tears broke, falling down drop by drop on the back of my palm. I bit back my sobs and my body is shaking as I am still holding in the pain inside my heart right now.

“You should have told me back then,” Minseok breathes and soon after that, my body is wrapped around by his arms. Slowly, he tightens the hug and his voice sounds very soft as he keeps whispering his apologies to my ear.

“I never –”, my shoulder moves up due to the sobbing, “– got the chance to explain myself.”

My heart has actually broke, I know I deserved to be hated for leaving Baekhyun in a harsh way but the fact that Minseok unhesitatingly kicked me out from his life, despite knowing me for a very long time, through and through – that was the part that I wasn’t able to understand. Because I thought he would act thoughtfully as he had always did but it turned out that I was wrong.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter