Two

Count Every Star

He was running.

Running through the darkness of the forest with Kyungsoo's dark shape up ahead as his only guide, trying not to trip on roots, wincing as branches scraped his arms.

'When will we get there?' he panted. 'Where is Chanyeol? What are we running from?'

A roar sounded behind them. He shuddered and sped up.

'Chanyeol's up there,' Kyungsoo panted. 'It's really close.'

Baekhyun looked up and almost fell. Chanyeol was running on air over his head, up near the treetops.

'What the hell!'

Kyungsoo grabbed his arm and pulled him. 'Just over this log, Baek, hurry!'

Baeekhyun gave a last desperate leap, pulling Kyungsoo along with him. As soon as he hit the ground on the other side of the log, his legs gave out and he collapsed.

So this was. He would die in the hands of an unknown monster, and Kyungsoo would die with him.

But something was wrong. There was a sudden overpowering flowery smell, and bright light hit his eyes. He struggled to open them and immediatly jumped up. He felt his fatigue slipping away.

'Where are we?'

Kyungsoo rubbed his hands together. 'Rose District.'

That made sense. There were roses everywhere.

A tall, lean young man with tan skin and a friendly twinkle to his eyes bounded up to hug Kyungsoo and drop a kiss on his cheek. 'You came! But who's this? Where's Yeol?'

'This is Baekhyun. Chanyeol-' Kyungsoo's face broke into a smile. 'Chanyeol's here now.'

Baekhyun turned. He couldn't believe his eyes.

Chanyeol had gotten even taller. His eyes and hair were forest green, the tips of his ears pointed like an elf's. Because, Baekhyun realized, that's what they were.

'You're an elf?'

Wordlessly, Chanyeol slumped onto Baekhyun, burying his face in his best friend's chest. Baekhyun gave him a silent hug, even though there were a thousand questions on his mind.

'Jongin,' Kyungsoo sighed, gesturing to the unknown man, 'go get Yixing. Chanyeol needs extra help.'

'I'm okay,' Chanyeol mumbled. 

'No, you're not.' Kyungsoo turned to Baekhyun. 'Watch him,' was all he said before he walked away.

Baekhyun sat down. He eased Chanyeol's head into his lap, the soft hair rippling like a deep green sea. He kissed Chanyeol's forehead and whispered, 'Sleep.'

Chanyeol didn't argue.

Baekhyun had plenty of unanswered questions. But right now, all he needed or cared about was Chanyeol.