Chapter 10

Kindred Souls

May 22, 2017

It was a warm and sunny day in Jeju, Jieun woke up late again and is now rushing to get ready for work. While packing for her things, she saw her phone lit up, it was a message from Sehun. She immediately checked it out, curious as to what he has to say so early in the morning.

"Jieunie, your boyfriend here has gone crazy."

*video clip attached*

The video starts with Sehun in Junmyeon's living room, whispering, obvious that he's filming this secretly. 

"So for more than a week that you've been gone, Junmyeon here has been dragging me to his place to go watch your recent drama, Scarlet Heart Ryeo. You know how he is, he's such a cry baby at sad movies and right now he's on episode 11, you know with Court Lady Oh." Sehun walks over to bedroom, showing Junmyeon focused on the television screen, wiping the tears in his face with tissues. 

The video ends. 

Jieun discreetly laughed at Junmyeon, obviously being one of the many fans of Scarlet Heart that shed tears during its heartbreaking moments. 

He must be preparing to go to work at this hour.

"Good Morning, mister cry baby. Hope your eyes aren't swollen from all that crying. Don't miss me too much, we'll see each other very soon." she texted. 

just a few seconds later, he replied back instantly.

"Wait... what? NO, HE DIDN'T. Ugh Sehun, pretending that he didn't shed tears. Oh please missy, between the both of us, I know you're the one who's missing me that much." Junmyeon girlfriend, a grin escaping his face while fixed his neck tie. 

"Says the one that binge watch my dramas to see my face, on his 60 inch ultra high definition television screen. Happy Birthday, Love! See you next week!" 

-------

Junmyeon spent his birthday working as usual, attending meetings left and right. By the end of his working hours, Sehun came by to the office to pick him up and go to his family's villa to celebrate his special day. He was still focused on his computer screen when Sehun knocked and made himself comfortable at the chair in front of him. Junmyeon briefly stopped working on his report and looked up at Sehun's direction.

"Hey there, you snaaaaake." he scoffed. 

Sehun burst out in laughter. "Well, it's always so funny watching you cry over shows and movies." he taps his right index finger on Junmyeon's office table. "Anyway, stop that and let's go! Geez, you're still overworking yourself when it's your birthday." he stands up and grabs Junmyeon by his arm, forcing him to leave already. 

"Alright, alright. I'll go."

During their car ride, Sehun instantly played IU's songs, starting from Through the Night. Junmyeon gave him a slight smile and proceeded to stare outside the window. 

"Don't start crying on me again." Sehun jested, eyes focused on the road, his hands gripping the steering wheel firmly. 

Junmyeon didn't say anything but instead grabs his phone to look at pictures of him and Jieun together. 

Sehun saw this in his peripheral vision and couldn't help but smile. "A look of a man in love, deeply and madly in love." he straightens up before speaking again. "Does your family know? Or would you want to keep it a secret?" 

"They don't know yet. I mean, our relationship is still fairly new. I'll tell them soon enough, what do you think?" Junmyeon said, his eyes still on his phone. 

"It's up to you, Junmyeon-ah.Considering that your dad seems to be a huge IU fan, it won't be a problem, except if you make her cry. He'll go on full Uaena mode and scold you for hurting his favorite singer." Sehun joked. 

Junmyeon let out a small laugh "That's the last thing I'd ever do." he assured. 

"I know, I know. I haven't seen you this way since - " Sehun paused, he forgot for a moment that this is a subject that Jumyeon doesn't like to talk about. 

"since Irene? It's okay, you can say her name Sehun. It's been years, I'm over it. She left me and that's all there is to it. It's all in the past now." 

The two stayed silent for the rest of the car ride until they reached their destination. Junmyeon's family were already at the door, waiting for them to arrive eagerly. As soon as Junmyeon and Sehun stepped out of the car, they were welcomed by a warm embrace by Mr. and Mrs. Kim, as well as Junmyeon's younger brother. They went inside to eat the sumptuous feast that the Kim family prepared for Junmyeon's birthday. Aside from the delicious food, all of them enjoyed each other's company, talking about anything under the sun, anecdotes when Junmyeon was younger to the first time that Sehun attended his birthday party when they were kids. 

After dinner, Junmyeon and Sehun stayed up a bit before excusing themselves to go back home, since there's still work the next day. Mr. and Mrs. Kim walked them to the driveway to see them off. Junmyeon's parents hugged him once more before he steps inside the car.

"Happy Birthday again, son. You really make us proud everyday." her mom said, tears welling up in her eyes as she pats her son's head. 

"We're blessed to have you in our life, our Junmyeon, our kind and hard working son." his father added, as he squeezed Junmyeon's left arm. 

Jumyeon gave his parents a reassuring smile. "Thank you, mom and dad. I'll be off now." he embraced his parents once again. 

"Thank you for the food, auntie and uncle. I'll see you again soon!" Sehun swooped in and joined the group hug. 

Junmyeon and Sehun have been friends since they were kids, they met while studying at the same pre-school. At a young age, both of them understood the weight of the responsibility of being the successors, of what it takes to protect and preserve their family's legacy. They bonded through that shared pain, and grew up side by side. Where Junmyeon is, Sehun will be too. Even during their training and studies at Los Angeles, they always had each other to depend on. They're not just the best of friends, but brothers. 

Sehun and Junmyeon got in the car and sped off while Mr. and Mrs. Kim watched. 

"When are you going to say it to him?" Mrs. Kim gripped her husband's hands, eyes full of worry.

" When the time is right, hon. Now's not the time, not yet. It's his birthday. I didn't want to ruin such a happy day." Mr. Kim gave his wife an apologetic smile. 

-----

Sehun pulled over at the driveway of the apartment complex where Junmyeon is staying at. 

"I can walk with you to your apartment you know."  Sehun offered.

"It's okay, I'm not a kid anymore. Thank you for celebrating my birthday with me, I appreciate it." Junmyeon raised his right fist to Sehun. 

"Since when did I ever missed your birthday?" both of them fist bumped and did their secret handshake, the one that they came up with when they were kids.

Upon arriving at his apartment, Junmyeon slumped down at his sofa, exhausted from today's events. He checked his phone for a message from Jieun.

Nothing. It's 10 pm, and she still haven't texted me.

She's probably just busy, the bed and breakfast are fully packed with guests today. 

Feeling defeated, he proceeded to take a quick warm shower and changed to his pajamas. By 11 pm, he's just relaxing on his bed, staring at the ceiling to will himself to sleep when his phone started ringing all of the sudden. He immediately sit up and reached for his phone, thinking that it must be Jieun who's calling him at this hour. 

It's from an unknown number. 

"Hello? Who is this?" he asked but no one's answering. "Umm, hello? You probably dialed the wrong number." Jumyeon hung up.

That's weird. Probably just dialed the wrong number. 

Minutes after, his phone started ringing again, but this time it's really Jieun, requesting for a video call. With a smile plastered on his face, Junmyeon the lights and answered it immediately. He even made sure that he looked good and fixed his hair and clothes. 

"Happy Birthday, Love!" Jieun greeted him in a hushed tone. "I'm sorry, our video call can't be too long. I just told the production team that I had some important matter to attend to and requested to turn off the mic and the cameras. I can't talk that loud too, They're just staying next to my house here." She's even slightly covering using her right hand. 

"Love! I thought you weren't going to call, I was prepared to sulk myself to sleep." Junmyeon and Jieun both laughed. "But seriously, thank you for doing all that just to greet me. See you on Los Angeles at the end of the week?" he pouts while asking the question.

Jieun giggled at his cuteness. "Of course, I wouldn't let you sleep knowing that you're missing me so much. I'll go to my brother's graduation for my first day and celebrate with my family, but we can have a regular date on the next day before my flight. Okay then, I have to go now, they might get suspicious and the production team will have to sleep now too. Happy Birthday, Love!" she blew a kiss and waved her right hand good bye. 

"Okay, I'll see you then! Thank you, Love!" he blew her a kiss and waved in return. Junmyeon, despite having a long day at the office was happy and contented during the last hours of his birthday. He went to sleep thinking of seeing his girlfriend at the end of the week, planning their date, their first regular date outside the confines of their home. 

-----

Jieun flew to Los Angeles with her manager Hanteo accompanying her in the trip. The two are more like siblings at this point, having gone through so much together. Hanteo is like Jieun's older brother, her happy pill, and a person that she can always depend on. The 16 hour flight was bearable because Jieun has Hanteo by her side, they spent the time watching movies, talking, and joking with each other. They arrived in Los Angeles in the wee hours of the morning, Jieun's parents picked them up at the airport and drove to their family's townhouse where her brother's been staying while studying. When they arrived, her brother is still deep asleep. Jieun and Hanteo, both still very much jet lagged and exhausted, managed to sleep until noon.

Jieun woke up to the smell of food and went directly to the kitchen to see her parents preparing a feast and her brother adorably helping out. Despite being like cats and dogs sometimes, Jieun's younger brother, Jong Hoon is really considerate of her. Jong Hoon always kept his identity as IU's younger brother a secret to all of his friends. He was always worried that if he messed up, his sister might be the one to take all the criticisms and unjust bashing from the unforgiving knetz. Jieun's heart swelled up from relief and happiness, seeing her brother all grown up.

After hitting it big and being successful, she made sure that her younger brother would have the best education with a healthy environment. She gave him allowance every once in a while and bought a townhouse in Los Angeles for him to stay at. Their parents would come visit and accompany him and Jieun would too, if her schedule permits it. 

After lunch, all of them prepared to go to Jong Hoon's graduation cerenomy. Jieun let Hanteo, Jong Hoon, and her parents go to the venue first as she would love to stroll around the city and shop for souvenirs. For her brother not to lose face, Jieun made sure to look as decent as possible even without her stylists, even applying red lipstick. She's dressed in a simple baby pink long sleeved blouse partnered with a white skirt and white doll shoes.

The whole afternoon, Jieun strolled the streets of Los Angeles leisurely, entering shops and buying souvenirs here and there. She always loved going abroad because it's the only time that she gets to feel like a normal lady in her twenties. In Korea, she doesn't have this freedom as people would recognize her right away. Sure, there are some Koreans and even international fans that recognize her at her vacations, but it's very seldom. 

Jieun bought a few items to give to Hyori and Sang Soon back in Jeju and made her way to her brother's graduation ceremony. As usual, Jong Hoon's friends and acquaintances are surprised to discover that he's actually IU's younger brother. They asked to take pictures with her and Jieun gladly obliged. After Jong Hoon's graduation, their family celebrated it at home with Korean BBQ and Soju. 

"A-ppa, Umma, I'm going out the next day. I'll come back a few hours before I go to the airport." Jieun casually informed her parents while eating. 

"Oh? Why? You're meeting with friends?" her father asked. 

"Umm yeah, I'm meeting with a friend." she nodded.

"a FRIEND, not friends. Hmmm, I think noona is dating someone." Jong Hoon teased. " Come on, Hanteo hyung, spill it. Is noona dating again?"

Hanteo laughed. "I don't know Jong Hoon-ah, Jieunie has been very secretive lately. I do know that she's crushing on someone really hard, I haven't confirmed if she's successful in dating him yet." he playfully nodged Jieun who's now blushing so hard. She's now being the center of attention of the dinner. 

"What do you say Jieunie?" her mom asked, all smiles. 

Jieun gulped a glass of water. "Okay, okay. I'm seeing someone and we'll go out on a date tomorrow." she confessed, her hands in the air. "He's quite busy these days, he's here in Los Angeles for a convention."

"Hold up, you're actually dating HIM? I mean, I figured you have some major crush on him because you'll always be lowkey jealous whenever Hyesun mentioned him during our shoots. HOW?" Hanteo disclosed. 

"Wait, wait, give us all the details here. We're all so lost right now. Who's him? Why do you know him?" Jieun's dad inquired. Her mom and brother are all waiting for her to tell the story too. 

Jieun went on and told her whole family and Hanteo how she met Junmyeon. From their first encounter in the elevator, discovering that they're neighbors to discovering each other's identity as IU and the Vice President of K Group. How they distanced theirselves to each other for almost a month and how they're so drawn to each other and confessed their feelings for one another. After her tell all, her family and Hanteo are all so giddy and happy for Jieun for dating such a great guy like Junmyeon. Hanteo even showed pictures that he took of Junmyeon and Hyesun to Jieun's family, making her family even more impressed. Not that they really care much about looks, but no one can deny that Junmyeon is indeed handsome and based on Jieun and Hanteo's story, they're relieved to know that their precious Jieunie has someone to take care of her, especially that they're also neighbors. All of them asked if they could meet Junmyeon when he picks her up for their date tomorrow and Jieun said that she'll tell him first. The night went on with the five of them chatting and eating happily.

------

Junmyeon woke up early to prepare for his long awaited official date with Jieun. It's fortunate that he's finished with all the preparations needed to launch their new products at the convention that will be held a few days later. He was quite shocked when Jieun called him last night to confess that she was cornered and had told them about their relationship and that they are now asking if they could meet him. Junmyeon being the gentleman that he is, accepted it in an instant. 

He immediately went to the kitchen early in the morning to bake a Blueberry Cheesecake for Jieun's younger brother. After that, he showered and changed to semi-formal clothing. He's in a white long sleeve polo, black jeans, and brown leather loafers. He combed his hair upwards for a neat look, he wanted to look impressive and decent in front of Jieun's family. Junmyeon drove to the local florist first to get some bouquets before going to Jieun's townhouse. 

Arriving in front of Jieun's townhouse, Junmyeon stayed in the car for a few minutes, calming himself down. He kept on looking at the mirror and straightening his polo, even rolling up his sleeves. He's never been this nervous before even though he attends meetings all around the world with really influential and powerful people. This is probably one of the most important meetings he'll ever attend in his entire life, meeting the family of his girlfriend, and making sure to leave a good impression on them. 

He mustered up all his courage and got out of the car, bringing all his gifts with him. Junmyeon walked up to the door and pressed the doorbell, his heart racing more than ever. A few moments later, the door opened. It was Jieun, in a maroon Boho sleeveless sun dress that emphasized her collarbones and milky white skin, along with flat open sandals. Her hair is much longer than Junmyeon remembered 2 weeks ago, she kept her bangs hidden, going for a much more mature look. Her make up is very minimal with just the contrast of red lipstick, but as always Junmyeon is blown away by her beauty. 

Jieun quickly embraced Junmyeon upon seeing him. She tiptoed to whisper something on his ear. 

"I'd love to kiss you on the lips because I've missed you so damn much, but my whole family and Hanteo are just in the living area, so I have to save it for later."

Instead, she gave him a light kiss on the cheek and interlaced her fingers with his. Junmyeon went ahead and gave her one of the bouquets he's holding. 

"For you, love." he smiled and kissed her on the cheek. 

"Thank you, always the sweetest." Jieun smirked. "Ready? They're waiting for you." 

Junmyeon nodded, holding her hand firmly for assurance. Jieun led the way and he followed. 

They are greeted by Jieun's family right away, and then Hanteo afterwards. 

"Good Morning Mr. Lee, Mrs. Lee, Jieun's younger brother, and Hanteo-nim" Junmyeon bowed to all of them in a 90 degree manner and shaked their hands. He gave the other bouquet that he's holding to Jieun's mother. "This is for you, ma'am." he said politely. 

"Awww, what a sweet young man you are. Thank you." Mrs. Lee happily accepted the bouquet. 

"Oh also, since it was your graduation yesterday, I baked a  Blueberry Cheesecake for everyone to eat." he held the cake box up in the air. 

"Our Jieunie's boyfriend is even good at cooking, thank you Junmyeonie." Mr. Lee gets the cake from Junmyeon with his right hand and pats him on the shoulder with his left hand, impressed at the young man's manners. 

"Thank you, Junmyeon hyung. I'll happily eat this with mom,dad, and Hanteo hyung." Jong Hoon raved and is all smiles towards his newly found brother. 

"Hello, Mr. Kim, it's nice meeting you again like this." Hanteo said. 

"Please, just call me Junmyeon, we're not doing official business now." Junmyeon said shyly. 

While Junmyeon was busy talking to them, Jieun kept sending signals to her father through facial expressions, pleading him to let them go have their date now. Mr. Lee, all amused at his daughter winked at her to let her know that he understands. 

"Okay, we can just chat with Junmyeonie when we're all back in Korea okay? These love birds obviously missed each other very much and they need to go have their date now." Mr. Lee announced. Everyone laughed and they all proceeded to say their good byes. They even went as to walk Jieun and Junmyeon by the doorstep, watching the both of them leave. Jieun's mom is especially giddy when she saw Junmyeon opening the car door for Jieun first, while the guys are also all very happy. 

Inside the car, Jieun observed and checked the windows instantly. "Love, your car windows are heavily tinted, right? I'm just making sure." she asked.

"Yes, why?" Junmyeon put the car key into the ignition and started the car. 

"Oh good, because I've been wanting to do this since I saw you at the doorstep, it's killing me." 

Confused, Junmyeon looked towards Jieun's direction. "Huh? Do what love?"

Jieun grabbed the helm of his collar and kissed him deeply, leaving Junmyeon all flustered and blushing. The past 2 weeks have been really hard for the both of them with minimal communication and no physical contact at all. They have been craving each others touches and lips so much, always thinking of one another at every moment. 

The whole Lee family and Hanteo are still at the doorstep waiting for them to leave. 

"Why are they not leaving yet? Junmyeon hyung started the car for a while now." Jong Hoon inquired. 

"Son, what else? They're probably kissing in there. Your sister has been begging me to let them go earlier." Mr. Lee remarked, followed by a boisterous laugh that got everyone following. 

"Our Jieunie is really smitten, can't see why she wouldn't be though." Mrs. Lee said with a smile. "Come on, let's go inside. They might be there for a while." 

------

Junmyeon brought Jieun at the Fisherman's Wharf first to eat. Just to be sure, Jieun wore sunglasses in case other people might recognize her. They walked the streets holding hands. Every now and then, Junmyeon would bring Jieun's hand to his face and plant gentle kisses at the back of her hand. Both got their fill of seafood and sourdough at their chosen restaurant. 

For the next stop, they went to the Museum of Modern Art. Jieun would occasionally stop by an artwork that she's truly in awe at and immerse herself looking at all the details. Junmyeon would follow behind her still holding her hand, but in a short while, he finds himself admiring every detail about Jieun instead. His heart would beat faster upon seeing her childlike happiness, he knows that she doesn't get this amount of normalcy in her life. Silently and discreetly, while Jieun admires an artwork all focused, he would sneak his phone without her looking to take candid photos of her. 

Lastly, they went to Santa Monica Pier to play some arcade games. Jieun's competitiveness flared up when she was trying her best to get Junmyeon one of the bunny plushies at the Claw Machine. After numerous tries and grunts here and there, she finally succeeded and gave it to Junmyeon. Both of them indulged in ice cream while walking by the beach. They sat down for a while, watching the waves crash into the sand. After finishing their ice cream, Jieun then proceeded to sing Corinne Bailey Rae's "Like A Star" in a capella for Junmyeon. She held his hands firmly and looked at him with honey dripping from her eyes the whole time. 

Just like a star across my sky
Just like an angel off the page
You have appeared to my life
Feel like I'll never be the same
Just like a song in my heart
Just like oil on my hands
Oh, I do love you

Still wonder why it is
I don't argue like this
With anyone but you
We do it all the time
Blowing out my mind

You've got this look I can't describe
You make me feel I'm alive
When everything else is so faint
Without a doubt you're on my side
Heaven has been away too long
Can't find the words to write this song, oh
Your love

Junmyeon being the crybaby that he is, teared up while listening to her sing. Jieun ended the song by pulling in Junmyeon for a sweet kiss, and a warm embrace afterwards.

"Belated Happy Birthday again, Love! Thank you for today, I really enjoyed every moment." Jieun wiped Junmyeon's tears using her thumbs, chuckling while doing so.

"No, thank you. Thank you for this, thank you for loving me." he caressed her face. Jieun smiled at him lovingly. 

"Just a little bit more and we can spend more time together. I'm sorry if I'm always so busy, and that we had to go through measures just so we won't be spotted." Jieun said. 

"It's okay, love. I'm sorry if I'm always busy too. But, we always make the most of our time together don't we?" Junmyeon reassured her. "We should get going now, you have a plane to catch."

By night time, Junmyeon drove Jieun back to their townhouse to prepare her things before going directly to the airport. He helped her pack up and spent some time with her family and Hanteo. In the end, he offered to drive the both of them to the airport so that Jieun's family could rest. He dropped them off at the airport. 

Hanteo bids his good bye to Junmyeon and got out of the car first to give him and Jieun some time together. 

"I'll see you back home, okay?" Junmyeon unbuckles Jieun's seat belt for her. 

"See you then, love." She gave him a quick peck on the lips before getting out of the car and waved good bye. 

----- 

Epilogue:

May 22, 2017 

Los Angeles, California

"Hello? Who is this?"

"Umm, hello? You probably dialed the wrong number." 

Junmyeon hung up. 

Irene still has her phone by her ear, teary-eyed at finally hearing his voice after 2 years, looking at the sky. 

"The plane is ready, Miss Irene." her secretary called her. They are inside a hangar, Bae family's private plane in sight. 

"Okay, I'll be there shortly." She replied as she turned off her phone and put it in her handbag. 

I'm coming back for you, Junmyeon. 

I hope you still have me in your heart. 

Irene climbs up inside the aircraft, ready to depart for South Korea after so many years. 

--------

So sorry for a month of not updating! I've been quite busy these days and I kept on brainstorming on how I wanted the plot to go. Rest assured that even though I may not be updating as often, I'm continously working and writing each chapter slowly. Thank you for reading!