5: Another New Member

N.Flying : Family Version

Kwangjin didn’t see her after graduation. He only gets to see her on stage, receiving her roll and smile towards the camera, with Kwangjin’s longing look on her, memorising her before she steps down and disappear. He tried to give his best smile while receiving his degree roll before joining his batch mates, and listened to the speeches and official announcement that they finally graduated.

He looks around for her, trying to find her among her batch mates, but he failed. He found his parents instead, congratulating him and expressed their proudness towards their only son.

“Oh! Just now, there’s a pretty young lady greet us, telling us that she is your close friend,” his mother started, remembering Eunhee’s polite and calm manner towards them.

Kwangjin stare at his mother in shock, asking for more but his mother just told him that his close friend just wanted to congratulate him before leaving hurriedly for her flight.

He put on a fake smile after listening to that, knowing that she is on the way to the airport, and with his stupidity, he didn’t even bother to ask her. They didn’t even meet again after that night, assuming that their relationship was over.

Kwangjin didn’t even tell her about his parents, but then again, it showed that she cares and was looking out for Kwangjin when he didn’t even realise it.

“She is such a nice young lady. Why didn’t you ask her out?” his father scolded him, and his mother joined too.

Kwangjin laughed, shaking his head and lead his parents out from the hall so that they can get lunch.

If only they knew.

 

Couple of years later, when he was up and high in his company, he still couldn’t forget his girlfriend, maybe ex by now. She was his first love, and he couldn’t look at another woman after her.

Surely, he had flings before during his early years in high school, but it was not as serious as his relationship with Eunhee, and he loves her dearly.

Sometimes, when he took a break from his work at late night in the office, he stares out of that big glass window of his office, thinking about her. He had their pictures in his wallet, even phone background, and his old laptop that bring precious memories was stored carefully in his room. Sometimes he opened his laptop, before closing it again and repeat the same movement every night.

He didn’t know why he was longing for her. Seunghyub had said that maybe Eunhee was thinking of him too. That got his hopes high for a while, wondering when she would come back.

Seunghyub had even to carry out a crying Kwangjin out from the pub because he was drunk and misses her too much. Two single guys comforting each other and had each other back revelling on the same issue. Somehow it was weird to how they can bond over some strange things together.

 

The day that fate decided to let them be together again is when Kwangjin travelled to Bucheon for a monthly conference. He was, as usual tasked to mingle and make connections with business people, the simple things.

It was a weekend trip, but the conference was only held for a day. So Kwangjin spend his time on his last day walking around the resort, hoping to find something nice and bring back to his parents later on.

He didn’t think much when he heard two people arguing with each other. He wasn’t trying to be nosy, but he was curious to why there was an argument in the first place. He moves closer to the arguing couple, finding out that the guy was holding the girl’s wrist tightly, arguing about something of business related.

Kwangjin made a face, why bother arguing about work when you can enjoy the sun, but when the girl jerks her hand away and turn to walk away from the guy, Kwangjin was stumped.

It’s Eunhee. In the flesh.

The guy was not done with arguing about it with her, and decided to grab her arm again, holding her down. And that made Kwangjin’s heart boiled with anger. He stomped towards them and push the guy away, pushing Eunhee to his back.

“I think the lady had said enough. I guess you shouldn’t discuss these things outside work. Nothing can be solved after work hours.”

The guy flared with anger, standing head to head with Kwangjin, who was not backing down from him. Knowing that Kwangjin was in much better built than him, he curses and move away, sending his glares towards Eunhee.

After knowing that she’s safe, he turns around, facing a dumfounded Eunhee staring at him in silence. Kwangjin grinned a little, backing away from her and wave.

“Hi.”

After much questions and stories, they sat down inside a restaurant for lunch, at first not saying anything but then Eunhee opened up to him, asking for forgiveness and others to him. She had revealed to Kwangjin that she moved back to Korea after years overseas, getting homesick and miss her home.

“I’ve also missed you…” she whispered.

Kwangjin gave her a tender smile, holding her hands in his big, warm hands and asked her to start over again.

A new beginning together.

 

His parents were joyed to find that the lady that greet them before is his girlfriend, and soon to be fiancée. Both of them explained about their unanswered questions to their parents, and promises to bring Eunhee’s parents together to meet them for an official family meeting.

He didn’t lie when he said that when he first met her parents, he was sweating buckets. But it all worked in the end.

He had made sure that Eunhee was not going anywhere again, and despite working under different companies, they made it work, like back to when they were in college. They spend their weekends together, reconciled and remembering their pasts. When things are stable, Kwangjin had proposed to Eunhee to move in together with him, so that they can take the next step in their relationship.

And for the first time, Eunhee didn’t argue and agreed.

Kwangjin introduced her to his now best friend and neighbour, Seunghyub. Seunghyub were so happy to meet her, telling her about how Kwangjin was missing her all this time and everything, embarrassing Kwangjin. That got Kwangjin and Seunghyub to wrestle on the muddy ground, with Eunhee watching them amused.

In between of taking care of each other and also Seunghyub when he locks himself in his room making music, their relationship grew more each day. They rarely had fights, but when they do, they always resolved it like an adult because of their mature experience from the past. But they never opted for break up as the last resort. Communications is the key, and they excelled at it.

When Kwangjin was sure that they can move to another step, he planned accordingly.

He asked for Eunhee to take her week off, making sure work doesn’t come into their way (Also making sure Seunghyub is taken care of) and travelled back to their old college, back to where they started.

They even went to the campus, looking around and pointing to the changes, walking to their old classes, their old workplace where they had their part times, even to their dorms, laughing at how much time flies.

And finally, Kwangjin brought Eunhee to their official dating place, the sacred among the sacred of them all.

The same 24/7 fast food joint.

Even though they didn’t see the old faces of people working there anymore, the place hasn’t changed much, and they were able to locate the same booth (now just table and chairs) where they had their dates.

Kwangjin had bought their meals, eat and talk about the old days.

When he knew that Eunhee is busy admiring the place and reminiscing the old times, he fishes out the small box from his inner jacket pocket, and push it to her, catching her attention.

“YES!!!”

Eunhee leaped into Kwangjin’s arms again, like when she used to when they submitted their papers to the lecturer. Instead of the lecturer being amused, this time it was the whole audience in the fast food joint itself.

 

They had their wedding at the chapel, with Seunghyub as Kwangjin’s best man and one of Eunhee’s close friend at work as her maid of honor. It was funny when Eunhee’s friend tried to flirt with Seunghyub, who’s as not interested as ever in the other gender, with their parents bickering with each other to what would their first children’s name be like and the names thrown all over the places to the guests.

While Kwangjin and Eunhee was trying to survive their wedding together before they depart for their honeymoon to Bora Bora, where their fantasy lies.

After coming back, it was back to normal, just with them having rings on their finger and the changes of atmosphere in the house.

Kwangjin was indeed more playful and somehow obsessive about Eunhee, mostly because of their married status.

And Eunhee, for once, did not mind of that at all. She paid to Kwangjin’s happy and sorrow every single time, because it’s what her husband does to her all this time.

When they thought they are happy, they were blessed with Eunhee puking inside the bathroom one day, and had to take a day off from work. Kwangjin was sceptical, but with a trip to the doctors confirming it, he was jumping around the place, also calling Seunghyub in the middle of his meeting to tell the good news.

And being the great friend of his, Seunghyub jump around the meeting room too, despite the consequences.

The first trimester was a bliss, although Eunhee sometimes craves for silly things such as anchovies with Nutella pie. And they discovered that they would be having a boy.

The second trimester was stressing, Kwangjin even had to fly for his monthly conference and had to leave Seunghyub and Hun (they met and got married before the pregnancy, as it was told on Hun and Seunghyub’s story) to care for his wife.

The third trimester was serious, because the doctor confirmed that the baby’s heartbeat is very weak, and with Eunhee’s condition is similar to the baby, that got Kwangjin to go to the gym to punch a few bags to cool down and came back home, tending to his wife and the unborn baby. He knew that his wife was weaker than normal, and more fragile than the normal mothers of her age because of her critical condition, so he needs to be strong, albeit stronger than her so that Eunhee could rely on him.

When a week before the baby’s due, Eunhee collapsed, losing a lot of blood. Luckily, Hun and Seunghyub was just next door when Eunhee cries out in pain, and were brought to the hospital as quickly as they could.

Kwangjin who was in the middle of an important business meeting, decided to tap out and leave immediately, giving a reason for his behaviour to his superior and speed to the hospital, asking for updates from Hun and Seunhyub every single minute.

Kwangjin would want to run over the red light, and he almost did. But he decided not to crash the car if not for his rational thinking of not dying before of when he’s supposed to die.

When he arrived, he immediately went to his best friends who was talking to the doctor about his wife’s condition. It was more heartbreaking when the doctor revealed that the percentage of saving both lives could be 50-50.

Kwangjin almost pummelled the doctor to the ground if not for Seunghyub and Hun’s resistance. All he can ask is to save both as much as they could.

Hun offered himself to be with Eunhee during the surgery because Kwangjin’s mind was unstable at the moment, and could not bear to think the worst if it happened. While Seunghyub was consoling him, telling him to pray and have faith in everything.

He thought that losing the baby was nothing, they can try it again. But losing his wife is unbearable to him. They had been apart for years before they were reunited. He wouldn’t want to be apart forever from Eunhee. But after a deep thought, he wouldn’t want to lose both either.

After a long dreadful of 8 hours, Hun came out with a sigh of relief, confirming that both baby and Eunhee is safe, but Eunhee would have to be restrained in the hospital for a week because of her heavy loss of blood. They couldn’t visit her at the moment, but Hun reassures that Eunhee is trying her best to not give up on their family, and she would be safe and sound with much needed rest. Hun also joked that he automatically becomes the godfather, and argued with Seunghyub for a while because of the rare chances that is happening before reconcile with a hug. Kwangjin would have deemed that cute and precious, but he was far to care about that and hoped that his wife is in the better health.

Waiting for a quite some time, Kwangjin was soon told to meet his son. And he had loved him already as he cradled the small baby in his arms gently, calling out to him, letting the little one hears the father’s voice. He didn’t forget to move to the glass window separating the babies’ room from the hallways, showing Seunghyub and Hun of their nephew whom they started to grew to love.

When he met Eunhee, all in wires and the oxygen tube in , giving her all she needs to be able to breathe again, he broke down in tears and hold her hands, telling her about how she had brought the best gift in his life and asked for her to come back and be healthy so that she can meet her son too.

During the duration of Eunhee being coped inside the hospital recovering, Seunghyub and Hun took turns in taking care of Eunhee and also looking out for the baby, whom they find to be named as “Jaehyun”, as per agreed by Kwangjin and Eunhee months before when they had their pregnancies confirmed. Kwangjin would have wanted a girl and Eunhee would have wanted a boy, so they opted for two names and let the mother nature decided the gender of their baby so that they won’t be disappointed either way.

Atlas, when Eunhee woke up, healthy and safe, Kwangjin took days off work to spend a lot of his time with her, even tending to her care more than what the nurse would do. When it’s time for her to meet her son, she also bursts in tears, seeing the bundle of joy in her arms.

And that leads to them being happy till now, with Jaehyun growing up healthily and happily with loving parents and uncles next door.

 

Kwangjin and Eunhee are also joyed to find out about Seunghyub and Hun’s adoption of a little boy similar to Jaehyun’s age to be added into the family, meaning that Jaehyun would be able to play with someone that is not only the adults and his day care friends at home.

As much as they would be thinking that Jaehyun would have been doted less because his uncles are having their own addition to their home too, they would have to make sure that Jaehyun need to understand how the system works in the family, and ensure that he could still have best of both worlds with his new friend by his side, arguing over some toy that both of them are eager to play with.

So what’s next?