Chapter 2

There is no antidote for death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taehyung rubbed his tired eyes gingerly as they all arrived back at their apartment that evening.  It had been a long day, fan meet, press, photoshoots, and that girl constantly floating in and out of his thoughts had caused a dull ache between his temples.   

‘That girl was hot.’ Namjoon exclaimed to the group, finally alone to let their thoughts out as he flung his long limbs down on the sofa in the main living area of their apartment. 

‘You think the majority of fans are hot.’  Yoongi complained at him with a frown.

‘A lot of them are -,’ Namjoon began with a deep grin.

‘She was super-hot though,’ Jin chuckled subtly kicking Yoongi’s leg as he passed them both on the sofa.

‘I’ve never seen a fan like that before.’  Jungkook jumped in to the conversation with a thoughtful tone as he sat on the floor beneath where Jin had just sat, laying his head back onto the chair. 

‘She wasn’t like a fan, she was like a celebrity.  Oh, do you think she was like some low-key celebrity from some country?’  Jimin was bouncing with eagerness, his eyes alight as if he had worked out a puzzle.  The idea that a celebrity had visited them made them all act like fan boys. 

‘No way she had no security.’  Yoongi commented, sounding bored and rolling his eyes heavily.

‘Not all celebrities need security.’  Taehyung finally joined in.

‘Not all celebrities need security.’ Yoongi mimicked him closing his eyes as if he was tired of the conversation already.

‘What did she give you Taehyung?’  Jungkook asked focusing his gaze on him. 

Taehyung could feel the heat flush his face before they noticed it.  He turned himself from the group towards the dining area and mumbled something incoherent. 

‘Hey yah TaeTae, I saw she gave you something too.  She didn’t give me anything.  Anyone else?’  Jimin had stood and was turning in a slow circle pointing at each member, getting answers from everyone as they all shook their heads or answered no. 

‘A tie.’  Taehyung turned from the table to face the group with his answer, fighting to keep his face very neutral.

‘.’  Yoongi hung his head dramatically.

‘You owe me!’  Namjoon shot up from the sofa pointing at Yoongi with a huge grin on his face.

‘What?’  Jimin asked looking between the pair.

‘He bet me she would pick him.’  Yoongi answered, pulling his wallet out and shoving bills into Namjoon’s open waiting palms.

‘How does that mean she picked him?’  Jungkook asked with wide innocent eyes watching the whole exchange.

‘She didn’t give anyone else anything.’  Namjoon answered joyfully counting his winnings in an overly lavish manner.

‘But that doesn’t mean -, ‘ Jungkook began earnestly.

‘Fans single out their favourites with gifts.  There was a girl who gave me a shirt she made, but she didn’t give Namjoon anything at all.’  Yoongi answered him in a bored and annoyed tone.  ‘I love you Yoongi-oppa,’ he added in a mock whiny high pitched voice.

‘Haven’t you learned anything by now?’  Jin asked him, looking down on him like a mother would as he his hair wearing a bemused smile.

‘What was the tie like?’ Hoseok asked Taehyung quietly at the main table he was sat at, away from the others.

‘Vintage Versace.’ He answered easily, keeping the emotion out of his voice.

Hoseok whistled his approval through his teeth, as the rest of them discussed fans and gifts they had received that day, Jacqueline long forgotten. 

‘That’s a nice gift.’  He nodded to himself.  ‘So?’ he asked, his eyebrows raised at Taehyung, with his arms crossed over his chest.

‘So?’ Taehyung repeated looking back at him.

‘So,’ Hoseok dropped his voice low, ‘We saw you go over to Manager Hyung, you asked them to get her details, didn’t you?’ He was looking at him like he just knew.

Taehyung stared back, his mouth hanging open, unsure of how he wanted to answer the question.  He didn’t need to though, the look on his face told Hoseok all he needed to know.  He gave him a knowing smile, nodding and moved to the living area to join the others. 

Taehyung agreed with Namjoon and Yoongi, he had known she had singled him out, he had felt it in his bones, but their exchange was not something he had prepared for and he didn’t particularly feel like dissecting it with the others, at least not yet.  So he did as he always did, he began to scream like a lunatic, ran towards Jimin, still stood in the middle of the room, and tackled him to the ground as everyone piled on top of them. 

 

Later that night, Taehyung received a text from their manager as he was alone in his room, contemplating the ways of the world and the day’s events.  He was thankful, as he would have to undoubtably explain the text otherwise if the boys saw it.  It had her phone number, address and full name.  Jacqueline Ceilo.  He wondered where that name originated as his remembered the strangeness to her accent, and how he couldn’t place her origin at all.  The end of the message his manager signed off with a long rant about being extra careful and letting him know what he was going to do with the information, which Taehyung skimmed and ignored.  Though he did want to think hard before he contacted her, so he was in no rush.  He was surprised to see her address was in Seoul, and extremely close to where he was living, making it a lot harder for him to keep his mind focused and think before he acted foolishly.

Taehyung wasn’t outwardly romantic like Jimin, some might even say he was indifferent, random and changed his mind a lot about almost everything.  He had never been in a relationship, serious or otherwise to know what to do with himself.  Though as he allowed his mind to drift to all the possibilities having her details afforded himself, each scenario he imagined became increasingly less realistic and more ‘something out of a movie.’  He found himself realising maybe he was more of a romantic guy than he first gave himself credit for with his mind filled with pretty flowers and romantic dinners, snuggles in bed and watching movies holding hands.  In his bed that night, he suddenly felt very lonely in the world.  He had his brothers and loved them all, he had his family and would die for them, but this loneliness was born from something he had never craved before, never something he realised he was missing of course, never having had that kind of connection to someone else.  The kind of connection you only felt with one person, the kind that gave him the shivers when he thought back to earlier that day meeting Jacqueline.  He wanted more than he had wanted in a long time; but it really was too late in the night for Taehyung to actually do anything but daydream himself to sleep.

 

Two weeks had passed since the fan meet.  The group had been busy, performing on stage, going to events, and generally doing the things they were required to do.  They even left the country for several days finishing the last of their performances but now thankfully things were getting quiet.  It was time to write, to compose and have a few weeks break after the long few months they had worked. 

Taehyung had decided not to contact her yet, although her number was burning a hole in his pocket knowing it was sat right within his reach, willing him at every possible moment to call.  He surprised himself with his will power, refusing the temptation no matter how strong it was.  If he was going to do this, he was going to do it as properly as he could, which involved waiting for the right timing.   

It was a Friday night.  Namjoon and Hoseok had disappeared, Jungkook had gone to visit his family for the week, Jimin was off with his group of idol friends and Taehyung didn’t know where Yoongi or Jin where.  He took himself out for a walk, the long summer was drawing to a close and the weather was turning colder, stinging his cheeks when the wind picked up as he walked.  There was no purpose to his outing other than to expel the excess energy he felt at having nothing to do and no one around to spend time with.  Earlier that day he had considering calling Jacqueline, but something stopped him, something he couldn’t explain to himself.  It just didn’t feel right to call.

He hadn’t particularly paid attention to what he was wearing as he left the house.  Though as he looked down at himself it wasn’t a bad look, black jeans, black boots, and his current favourite old, brown, beat-up, leather jacket with a beanie to keep his ears warm.  He had no plans to visit Jacqueline, yet as he wandered in the cold night he found his feet taking him towards her apartment building, towards the address he had stared at for hours on end making up endless daydreams about going there and meeting her.  Somehow unconsciously he knew where to go, and soon he found himself stood outside of the building with no idea how he got there or what he was going to do next.

He kicked at the floor impatiently, spitting once on the ground breathing hard through his nose as he gathered his thoughts.  The street around the building laid dark and empty, but he couldn’t be sure he could get inside without pressing the buzzer to her apartment and he wasn’t sure what he should say.  He wasn’t even sure why he was there.  At the moment he decided to leave, the door to the building opened, a group of people pouring out.  Keeping his head down so not to be noticed, he had three seconds to make a choice, it wasn’t even conscious as he ran forward after the last person had stepped out, catching the door with his outstretched fingertips for him to enter. 

The heat of the lobby hit him instantly, but he didn’t pause to dwell on it, walking with purpose towards to elevator, biting his bottom lip he pressed for the doors which opened instantly giving him no time to pause and question his actions.  He pressed for the top floor and pulled off the beanie hat, shoving it in his pocket.  He assessed himself in the mirrors lining the walls, pushing back his coffee brown hair and ruffling it in an attempt to give it some sort of style other than messy. 

All too soon the elevator stopped, allowing him to step out into the hall way and follow the sign around the stylish corridor for apartment 88.  He had the walk of someone who knew exactly what they were doing, someone who knew exactly where they were going.  All the confidence of a guy who did this kind of thing a hundred times and though his brain wasn’t questioning him, his heart beat wildly in his chest as he approached the door.

He didn’t hesitate as he pressed the fancy chrome button for the apartment.  He felt strangely assured of himself as he leaned on the door frame, inexplicably more confident than he was three minutes ago down on the street.  He could hear movements behind the door, so he knew someone was there, never occurring to him that he might have remembered the address wrong.  Fortunately for him, with his rash actions, it was the right apartment, the door opened revealing the woman he was looking for, but he wasn’t prepared for the way she looked.

He looked up from under his arm, his mouth dropped open.  Stood there, she wore black jeans, tightly fitted to her body so her curves silhouetted in a shadowy contrast against the white backdrop of the apartment.  She wore no shoes, her toes were painted a dark red colour as his eyes travelled up her body, her flat navel was exposed in blunt difference to her dark jeans, her skin was creamy white and soft.  She was only wearing what appeared to be a black lace and silk mix of a bra with several straps all over her front.  A delicate gold necklace hung at , highlighting her collar bones, as his eyes finally met her face.  Again there was no trace of any make-up on her flawless skin, though her eyes were heavily lidded with dark liner, giving her a rocked-out aesthetic, and her hair, though straight had a messy unkept look about it, as if she had just been having wild . 

His tongue poked out unconsciously dragging itself over his bottom lip as he bit down drinking her in.  Neither of them spoke for several seconds. 

She placed a hand on each hip, tilting her head to one side, drawing his attention back to her deep green eyes as he faltered for something to say.  She didn’t look remotely surprised to see him there.  In fact she looked almost like she had expect him to turn up, the corners of her lips tilted upwards a fraction. 

‘Had a good look?’ she seemed to purr at him, her eyebrow raising in amusement.

Something about how she spoke unsettled him and gave him immense confidence at the same time.  He grinned at her shamelessly.  It was really useless to act embarrassed by his leering actions at this point. 

She grinned back, rolling her eyes over familiarly and turned to walk back into the apartment.  Pausing looking over her shoulder she added, ‘Are you coming in?’

He didn’t need asking twice, though he had yet to actually speak, he pulled himself up straight and followed her, closing the door behind him carefully. Looking down he was stood in a small entry way, there were no shoes around for him to see where to kick his off, but he did out of habit, leaving them in the entrance dip.  Chasing her footsteps down a short white hallway void of anything colourful or showing that this was a home he turned finding himself in a large living area.  The floors were bright white marble, the walls a delicate shade of cream.  A huge chaotic colourful painting hung on one wall, opposite a tv area with a large modern looking tv hung on the wall.  Centre of the room sat a glass table with chrome fittings on top of a large grey fluffy rug.  Surrounding the table a large L-shaped deep grey sofa waited to eat up whoever dared sit in its jaws.  Opposite where he stood encasing the room, stood huge floor to ceiling windows, showing the dark world outside.  To the left of the room at the back was an archway, not a door, to what looked like a kitchen.  He turned to his right, showing a lit hallway that presumably led to bedrooms bathrooms and whatever else. 

He wasn’t sure what kind of place he was expecting as he placed his hands on the waistband of his jeans and rocked back and forth on his heels taking in the gigantic apartment.

Jacqueline had disappeared and therefore he wasn’t entirely sure what to do with himself.  He peered at the painting for a moment, then at the tv which was on, playing something he didn’t recognise though no sound came from it.  Curiosity and not manners got the better of him as he walked towards the back of the large room, casting his eyes over a large bare dining table adorned with several leather chairs by the windows and peeking in at the impossibly large white kitchen. 

‘Hungry?’ her voice floated over him from behind.  He turned quickly, focusing on her form walking out from the hallway, pulling a white t-shirt over her head.  His heart sank at her putting on more clothes, but the back of his mind thanked god he didn’t have that distraction in front of him anymore.

‘No.’ he replied his deep voice boomed into the silent room. 

She smiled as she came towards him, disarming him with her proximity.  She slipped past him into the kitchen her hair swinging wildly behind her as she seemed to bounce with each step she took.

‘Do you want a drink?’ she asked throwing him a look over her shoulder as she opened a hidden refrigerator.

‘Sure.’ He responded carefully trying to emulate her calmness, following her and leaning himself on the floating counter in the middle of the room.  She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter