005

Love Me Not
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Love Me Not

Bitter

Chapter Five

Chaeri was silent and gloomy those following days. No matter what and how loud she shouted that first day of the year... it was still, still oh-so-painful.

The teacher announced that Jongin asked for a two-week leave. Jung Soojung: Absent. Chaeri wasn't daft. She knew they were together. Again. Probably for the rest of their freaking lives. It was far too obvious, Chaeri thought bitterly, I mean, where else? To church for the good of his soul?

And that was the story. The pseudo-breakup between Jongin and Soojung and Chaeri's pseudo-boyfriend Jongin. The naïve girl who loved cherries, the bastard who couldn't keep his eyes off his ex, and the ex who was far too selfish. It was a movie playing before the class' eyes. Some wanted to speak because movies needed reviews, but prying will be, well, prying.

When Seulgi tapped her shoulder, Chaeri hastily ran a quick hand across her eyes and gave a winsome smile. It was full of expression, mixed with tangible emotions. "Hey, Chaeri. Want to go out? My treat!"

When Chaeri shook her head, Seulgi frowned. She wasn't used to such a silent Chaeri. "Sooyoung..." her voice trailed off as both of them stared at Chaeri's still body.

"Leave her alone," Joohyun said. The two stared but didn't say anything. "She needs time. We can at least give her that." Because the only one who can solve this is the person who ruined it in the first place.

Mr. Kim had entered the classroom just as soon as Chaeri stood up and ran out. It left him completely speechless.

Joohyun stood up and apologized, "My apologies, Mr. Kim, but Chaeri doesn't feel well and couldn't resist the urge to go. Please excuse her."

"Why, yes, Ms. Kang," Mr. Kim said, but it was understood. He knew the reason, and he knew that Joohyun knew that he knew it.

Chaeri ran out and away, ignoring the confused gazes following her as she dashed off. She bumped against students, tripped several times and caused teachers to accidentally let go of their books. But Chaeri didn't stop. She didn't stop until she reached that particular tree, that tree where she thought they shared a promise of love, that tree where she thought, for the first time, she was blessed in love.

I gave you everything, she shouted at him in her mind. I gave you everything I can, even though it hurt me. You made me an idiot, Jongin. I was already one, but you made me an even bigger fool of myself.

Ring. Ring. Ring. "Yeah?"

"Jongin, its Chaeri. I... Just meet me at the maple tree when you come back, after classes. Two weeks, right? Don't be late. I'll wait for you."

And she hung up and cried.

When she got home, tired and swollen and messy, she got the assignment she was given due a few weeks from then. Love, love, love. Sometimes, she wondered if Mr. Kim was a psychic. There's just no way all of these were just a coincidence. Three months... three months suddenly felt like a lifetime to her.

"Love . It's an incurable disease, but it keeps killing you again and again. That's why it because it doesn't make you happy at all. Disney hoodwinked us. We don't get 'happily-ever-afters at all.' It doesn't feel like heaven; it actually hurts like hell."

No, she thought, and immediately crumpled the paper. It was far too frank, far too straightforward. It was obvious. She wanted it to be... deeper. Simple but conveys the message.

And then she thought of it. She remembered that day, five years ago. And when she was in her second year. And that day under the tree...

"Mom, everyone in the school's talking about Valentine's Day, and when the teacher asked me what it means, I didn't know what to say, and everyone laughed at me and I cried."

"Now, dear. Don't get so teary. There's nothing wrong with not knowing what Valentine's Day is about."

"But they laughed at me!"

"You see, sweetie, Valentine's Day is a precious day for people who love each other. Now don't cry because you didn't know. Never cry because of something you don't know. You cry because you couldn't take something anymore."

"But what if they make fun of me, again and again, every day?"

"You cry only when you don't want to hear it. But until then, you smile because you're strong. And you are, Chaeri. You are strong."

"I swear, guys, this is it!"

"What now, idiot? Go away."

"Hey, hey, don't go! I need to tell you this! You see, there's this really good-looking guy in my math class. His name is Kim Jongin, and he just showed me that he's not the arrogant and mighty student we thought he is! Want to know his inner self, Joohyun? I'll tell you! He's very strong and very brave, and he likes kids! You see, I got bullied earlier by that senior, you know her, right? Well, she bullied me, and Jongin told her to stop, and she did! Isn't that wonderful? He's such a prince. I really think he's the one!"

"Chaeri, we're in high school. Love doesn't exist in high school."

"Oh, stop being a sour puss, Joohyun."

"I'm with Seulgi. Sorry, Joohyun."

"Oh, oh!"

"What's it this time, Chaeri?"

"I forgot, he has a childhood friend, that girl with long black hair? The pretty one? There, right there! See?"

"Stop pointing, Chaeri, it's rude."

"Well, she's Jongin's childhood friend. I think they're even more, but I have to stay positi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter