004

Love Me Not
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Love Me Not

Foolish

Chapter Four

Beep.

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
- Martha Washington

Chaeri frowned at the text message. Seulgi had been sending her a lot of them since the holidays began. They were all tear-jerking and sad and poignant. They were messages she did not exactly want to read.

Hey Seulgi, something wrong with Jongdae? Hope not. x

No. The answer came minutes later. I think it's a contemplation. By the way, tomorrow's your birthday. Advance 16th! xxx

Chaeri sighed. It was the last day of December but there was still no sign of Jongin.

Thanks, Seulgi! Celebration when classes resume. :)

She was turning 16 tomorrow but her boyfriend has no idea. Tears started to form in her eyes, again, and Chaeri tossed and her bed.

Sure, see you then. Talk to you soon, xxxx

Kyungsoo and Joohyun arrived on their doorstep hours later. "Hey." Chaeri smiled curiously. "What's up?"

"Happy Birthday, idiot," Joohyun muttered and handed her a neatly-wrapped box.

Kyungsoo handed his, cheeks heating up. "Hope you like this."

Chaeri gave them a winsome smile. "Thanks, guys."

"Uh, what did Jongin give you?"

She blinked. His absence.

As soon as the two were out, Chaeri gave Jongin a ring.

"Yeah?"

She wanted to shout at the sound of his voice. She missed it. So much. Was she crazy? No, she didn't think so. It was normal. Perfectly normal. Anyone would miss someone they love. And she loved Jongin very, very much.

"Hello, Jongin. It's Chaeri." She took a deep breath. "I just wanted to know if you can join me for dinner tonight. Just... a simple dinner."

"Hey, Chaeri, I'm sorry. I can't go; there's a family gathering. It's New Year’s. You know the traditions parents like mine have."

"Right..." She giggled nervously. "I'm sorry. I'm so selfish. Don't do anything stupid. I love you."

Beep.

And that was that.

It was almost midnight.

Her mother greeted her a "Happy, happy, birthday!" through a card and they were so dear, Chaeri smiled for the first time after the depressing call from Jongin. Friends personally gave her their gifts. She was... happy. At those moments, that is.

She sighed deeply and walked out of the house. Christmas lights were still flashing about. Chaeri blinked. It was cold. It was snowing.

It was snowing.

Chaeri smiled.

She loved the snow. It wasn't every day that you see unique white flakes falling from the cloudy skies. It gave her hope that after every chaotic situation in life, there'll be something beautiful. It didn't matter that she'd be working her poor brain off for more than half a year. Come winter season, and she'll be all smiles.

People were gathering at the park for the fireworks. It was minutes before January 1st, after all.

The beginning of another chapter.

You take a deep breath and you walk through the doors

It's the morning of your very first day

You say hi to your friends you ain't seen in a while

Try to stay out of everybody's way

It's your freshman year and you're gonna be here

For the next four years in this town

Hoping one of those senior boys will wink at you and say

You know I haven't seen you around, before

Fifteen years aren't dumb, she remembered the exact words she told Sooyoung. Ah, Seulgi and Sooyoung. She got so many things from those two. Many, many things.

Cause when you're fifteen and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter