Clock

Sorcerers' Apprentice

or the start of their real first date

              Jonghyun tapped his fingers on the arm of the swing as he pushed off the wooden porch with his heeled boot. He checked the gold pocket watch wrapped around his right hand one more, pressing his lips into a fine line as he watched the clock hands tick away time. Jinki was supposed to be here at six. While their little cake date had been great, Jonghyun wasn’t completely sure what the other’s intentions were. He was scanning each side of the quite backstreet when he heard the front door squeak open. “What has you fretting so much, Young one?”

              “He’s late, Master.”

              The older man carefully sat next to him on the swing when it paused in its movements, smiling over at his old apprentice. “The young man who bought you that cake? The Prophet?”

              “Yes.”

              “I’ve never known a Prophet to be late.”

              “Maybe he’s just not coming, Master.” Jonghyun crossed his arms, sliding a little down the back of the swing, trying his hardest to mask his disappointment.

              “I’ve told you that you could call me Donghae now, Jonghyun. I’m no longer your master.” Donghae smiled, his salt and pepper hair falling into his eyes as he lifted his hand gently. “And don’t sound so glum. I believe that may be your late Prophet, hmm?”

              Following his arm, Jonghyun was quick to spot the man running down the slightly muddy road. A few moments passed before he was sliding to a stop, smiling widely when he saw him. “For someone who can see the future, you sure are late.”

              Jinki gave a crooked grin, running a hand through his messy curls. “I apologize. The King required me longer than I had expected.”

              “Oh, the King.” Donghae quipped. “You must be pretty important to know the King.”

              “Oh, you must be Master Donghae,” He bowed at the waist before lifting with a sweet smile. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

              Donghae rose his eyebrow as he looked from Jinki to Jonghyun, who was laughing. “Well, while he’s no longer my apprentice, please bring him back safely. I’ve grown quite fond of him surprisingly.”

              “Hey!”

              Donghae winked before returning into the house with a quick, “Have fun~”

              As soon as the door was closed all the way Jinki softly apologized. “I did not mean to be late. I was having a session with the King and he held me longer than I thought.”

              “What do you do for the King?” He took the few steps, holding out his arm for Jinki to take softly.

              “Ah, I’m his Master Prophet.”

              “Aren’t you quite too young for that position?”

              Jinki dipped his head, cheeks a fair crimson. “I am, but my exam scores were the highest of those in his Sorcerers’ tower with the prophetic ability.”

              “I see.” Jonghyun smiled warmly, “So where is the Master Prophet taking me tonight?”

              “There’s a dance in the market district. While I’m not the best dancer, I thought I’d take you.” Jinki shrugged softly, clearing his throat. “I may make a fool out of myself, but the food is good. It’s all magic folk.”

              “You can’t be that bad of a dancer.”

              Jonghyun wished he was wrong.