◊ Step 3

◊ Beautiful, My Girl ◊

When Junhyung decided to wake up, it was already third period. He considered himself lucky that seniors had the privilege of not having to transfer to different rooms every class period, save for gym, music and art.

He lifted his head, stretching wide as he felt a small cramp barely forming on his left shoulder. He massaged the area lazily and looked around the class—Yoseob and Dongwoon whispered furiously at each other, their eyes often drifting to a seat at the front.

His seat next to his girlfriend.

Frowning, he tilted his head to find the new student occupying his seat, chatting friendlily to his beautiful seatmate—who, to Junhyung’s relief, seemed indifferent to his chatty demeanor. She wasn’t one who was easily pleased.

He sighed loudly, his seat clanking slightly as he stood up. Dongwoon and Yoseob glanced at him, surprised he was awake earlier than expected.

“Uh…” Yoseob began, noticing the older hyung’s glare at a certain direction, “Hyung… you’re awake~!”

Junhyung ignored the blonde’s attempts to divert his attention and he brushed past the two, walking towards the new student. As he neared, he heard the light laughter that echoed from his girlfriend’s throat. The guy had made her laugh.

His eyebrows rose questioningly by the time he reached the two—“What’s all the laughter about?”

Kikwang turned to find a grumpy Junhyung glaring sleepily at him, “Um, Hi. I’m Kikwang, new student. I was just telling Gayoon about—“

“I don’t care” Junhyung cut off quietly, “Off my seat.”

Gayoon rolled her eyes and shifted to face the other direction. Junhyung was always like this, and just when she actually started to find the new student—and her new seatmate—entertaining.

“Oh, uhm…” Kikwang tilted his head thoughtfully, “Sorry, the teacher assigned me here…”

“Look, kiwi”—“It’s Kikwang”—“Same thing. That’s my seat and my girlfriend. Move it.”

Gayoon sighed loudly, indicating her apparent displeasure at the scene Junhyung was causing. He didn’t take notice. Kikwang was ready to retaliate, polite voice ready in hand, when their teacher entered the room.

“Oh, Junhyung” She said as she eyed him standing over Kikwang, “Finally decided to wake up?”

Junhyung clicked his tongue, irritated. He glared at Kikwang one last time before shuffling back to the open seat he left beside Yoseob. The teacher wasn’t someone he could deal with when he wasn’t on full alert.

He would have to deal with it some other time.

Yoseob stole a peek at him, “I tried to warn you…”

He jumped slightly at the glare he got back in return. Junhyung was always difficult when he woke up, especially when he got in a bad mood right away.

“Are we still on for tonight?” Dongwoon asked, turning to face the two

“There isn’t a battle tonight” Yoseob answered

“I know,” Dongwoon said, “I mean to celebrate our win from last night”

Yoseob thought about it, “Sure! It won’t be too crowded tonight, anyways!”

Junhyung’s head dropped onto the desk again, wordlessly complaining about the other two’s noisy conversation.

“What time will you be there?” Dongwoon mouthed silently at Yoseob

“A little after 9” He replied in a hushed whisper, “You go ahead, I’ll just meet you guys there”

Dongwoon nodded, turning back around to face the front. Yoseob had been coming in later than usual during days when they didn’t have battles. Even Junhyung had begun to get irritated at Yoseob’s consistent lateness to their practices.

Dongwoon brushed it off, convinced it was probably his uncle forcing him into some drudging work to help out. He knew his uncle owned a carshop, but oddly he had never visited. Or rather, he was never invited.

“Thank god I don’t have such a troublesome Uncle” He muttered quietly as he thought of the heavy workload he would probably be forced into doing. Yoseob was much shorter than he was, but just as much stronger too.

For a tall and toned guy, Dongwoon fancied himself above physical labor. It was simply not something that suited him. Nor his tastes.

** ** **

There was just something about her body. It seemed to have a very precise internal clock it worked on—she had an uncanny ability to know exactly when her shifts ended. Maybe a product of long working hours in just as many working days, her head would shoot up and she would drop whatever she was doing—

“Yang Ahjusshi!” She didn’t need to say more, he already knew.

He eyed her sales report as she silently counted down the seconds—“5, 4, 3…”

“Looks good,” He said, “You’re free”

“—and 1.” She smiled, “See you tomorrow boss!”

He chuckled as he watched her head towards her preferred form of transportation—her shiny orange scooter. She insisted she could never get far on a motorcycle; it made too much noise when she was trying to be inconspicuous about her whereabouts during the later hours.

“Hey!” He called one last time before she drove off, “If you see Yoseob, tell him to come early tomorrow. There’s something I need to talk to him about”

Hyuna nodded, slipping her helmet on top of her already capped head. “Sure thing”

She patted the inner pocket of her overalls, smiling as she felt the thick lump. Today was a good day for tips.

Maybe something good will happen soon, she thought to herself.

** ** **

Fridays were busy and the traffic wasn’t helping. She glanced at her watch again, her teammates were going to kill her. She promised she wouldn’t be late today, It was one of her mate’s birthdays.

She cursed, revving up her scooter’s engine to full gear. She ignored all the honks she got for swerving swiftly between cars—who were stationary due to the heavy traffic. She flinched slightly as she felt her phone vibrate against her leg, she could never get used to that feeling.

“Hello?!” She yelled into the phone once she managed to fish it out of her overalls.

“Where are you?” It was Sohyun.

“On my way to see the crew,” She replied, “Why? What’s up?”

“Did you hear that?” She heard Sohyun say away from the phone

“Who’s there?” Hyuna asked loudly, calling Sohyun’s attention

“Yoseob.” She muttered quietly, sounding annoyed “He dropped by to ask where you were again.”

“Really?” Hyuna already figured Yoseob’s motives but she knew Sohyun would never think of it. She decided to play innocent.

“You should just give him your damn number already” Sohyun whined, a little louder than before. Hyuna figured she had ushered Yoseob out of their apartment already.

“He has it” Hyuna replied, “That’s really weird he went all the way there, is he stupid or something?”

She smiled wide at the silence that followed. She could just picture Sohyun’s confused face—both at her words and at her obviously teasing tone.

“What’re you--?”

“Hey, I’m still on the road” Hyuna cut off, “I’ll call you when I can! Don’t wait up for me, I might be a little late tonight”

She heard Sohyun sigh on the other line, “You’re always late”

“Nuh uh!” Hyuna whined, trying to sound hurt at her accusation, “I always come home for my baby!”

“Oh god” Sohyun complained, “I’m gonna hang up before you completely turn Jing Jing on me”

Hyuna giggled, “Please, you love it”

“Uh-huh. Sure.” Sohyun hung up first

Hyuna shoved her cellphone back into her pocket as she screeched into a familiar alleyway. Parking messily on a space beside the large garbage can, she hopped off her scooter and made her way to a large black metal door.

She banged on it a few times until someone clicked it open for her—“About damn time!”

Hyuna smiled sheepishly, “WasSup~!”

When he didn’t smile back, she knew something was wrong. He sighed, motioning for her to step inside. She eyed him with slight concern, waiting for him to close the door behind them once she stepped inside before she walked beside him down towards their usual place.

“Is something up?” She asked after a short while

He held her hands in his, “You’ll see.”

She gasped when she entered what used to be their place of refuge. Their abandoned parking lot that was once revamped into one of the most popular underground hip-hop dance centers was now stripped down and looked even worse than an abandoned parking lot.

“What happened—“

“They’re turning it into some pool and bar” It was Haw who answered, “Apparently, they start construction in a week.”

Hyuna swallowed, “But this place is ours…”

“Not legally,” WasSup said grimly, “They already started demolition.”

Hyuna’s eyes travelled the room to the only other girl sitting on the floor against a wall. She walked over to her and wrapped her arms warmly around the girl, “Yun…”

“iest birthday ever.” Yun chuckled

Hyuna looked around, it was only the four of them. “Did nobody decide to show up today?”

“Well, let’s just say they decided to bail once they saw the condition the place was in”

Hyuna cursed silently, leaning her head on Yun’s shoulder. It was feeling heavier by the second. It was unfathomable that a place like this, so vibrant and noisy just two days before, was now torn down and deserted. She wished she would have come the previous night—it would be one more night spent in a place she could now no longer go to.

The reality refused to sink in.

It was too sudden, it wasn’t fair.

“Whoa! What happened here?!”

Their heads turned to the entrance, “What the hell Seob, how did you get in?”

“I have my ways” Yoseob replied, grinning widely. He walked towards the group, noticing the two girls on the floor, “Hey…”

Hyuna smiled weakly, “Hey Seobie”

The guys explained the details, as painful as it was. Each time they said it, the closer it felt to reality and Hyuna didn’t like that. The loss she would feel once she finally accepted their place was gone was too much a shock to bear.

“What now?” Yun asked, looking around at everyone’s gloomy faces. She avoided Yoseob’s—he wasn’t as affected by this as they were. He had his own place like this, his own underground club.

“Hey” Yoseob voiced, “Why don’t you guys come over to ‘Highlight’?”

===================================================================================

*WasSup/Yun/Haw=Part of Prepix (: I love them haha! So I decided to throw them in when contemplating Hyuna's crew mates (:

Unbeta-ed so sorry for any spelling errors/confusing grammar and wording lol! I didn't have time to run it through someone before posting (: It was sitting idle for a while so I decided to post it and deal with errors when I look over it later

As usual,
Thanks for reading~!
-Nin