Chapter 3

Of The Balconies And Us

 

 

Note: mild violence content alert! (assaulting and stuff)

 

 

 

 

You just got home from a long meeting with your editor; discussing about important stuff you need to add into your work, checking errors and others. It was a hectic day and you got home when the clock strikes 11 PM sharp. It’s already dark outside. Your head is pounding hard again its skull and you think it might burst any time sooner if you don’t get a rest. You couldn’t think of any other stuff than a refreshing shower, your fluffy, cloud-like bed, and sleep. You need those for sure.

“Hi.”

A voice greeted you as you were about to punch in the code to your door lock. You turned to your right. You tried your best to put a single smile on your face, not wanting to be rude. “Hi.”

Seokjin stood in front of his house, hand also on the knob but his eyes were on yours.

“Busy day?” he must’ve noticed your horrid expression.

You nodded. “Yeah. You?”

“As usual.” he shrugged. “Customers come and go. The cafe can be quite crowded during peak hours.”

“Cafe? You own a cafe?”

You received a nod from him. Once, you thought he was someone who works at home like you or just someone unemployed because he is always at home but certainly you’re wrong. He can choose whether he wanted to go to work or not because he’s the owner. That makes sense now.

“Get inside and have some rest.” he said.

You smiled in gratitude. Jin can be sweet sometimes. “Thanks.”

He opened the door to his house but halted his steps and turned to you once again. “Goodnight... ddung.”

You can only laugh half-heartily in this state but it doesn’t seem to annoy you anymore. It’s mutual after that day you helped him and he treated you a full set of delicious homemade lunch. You guys started to get on your good sides and now bloom into what you could finally call you both as friend but you still found yourself awkward with him so maybe just neighbours. Yes, that sounds better.

You got inside, didn’t bother to switch on the lights on the living room because you think you’ll go to sleep right away after a shower so you stagger across your living room to your bedroom at the end of the hallway. You noticed the door of the other room you’ve renovated into your walk-in wardrobe were slightly opened – which you thought you’ve closed them because it’s your habit to close any type of doors or entrances around you as you were getting in or out. You walked over to it and closed it again before going into your room.

You took a shower, changed into your silk night gown – the one you always wear when you don’t have to stay up all night to write – and walked into your kitchen for a glass of water. You’ve been thirsty after a few glass of soju exchanged with your editor after the meeting.

You were drinking your water and out of a sudden, you can hear someone yelping - in your house. You definitely heard it coming from your own house, and not Jin’s. The voice is also a lot deeper than his.

You became highly alerted and turned anxious. Did someone trespass into your house while you’re away? You’re sure that you’ve closed the door except for the balcony glass door because – hello, no one would ever thinking of climbing up tenth floor just to rob your house. They will die even before they are done with one floor unless they're professional climbers. But if so, this will be the first time someone had ever done so since the first time you moved here.

Your palms began to sweat a bucket and your throat suddenly felt dry although you have just drink a whole glass of water a few seconds ago.

You grabbed an umbrella from its hold you stored near the shoes rack, using it as a weapon - in case someone is really inside your house - so you can hit if that person attacks on you. You were hesitant at first but you proceed to your walk-in wardrobe because that’s the most, and highly suspected room since you got into your house. You think the possibility of the intruder to be inside your wardrobe is high because of the door just now.

You pushed the door slightly, stealing a peep inside but the room was too dark, limiting your vision. With shaky steps, you squints your eyes and quickly reach out your hand for the lamp switch on the far end of the room but unfortunately you tripped and let out a shriek. ‘Ouch!’

You immediately brought your knees close to you. You touched it slowly. “Ah...” although you couldn't see clearly in the dark, you are sure that your knee bruised badly because it scraped on the edge of one of the furniture in the room.

Suddenly, the fluorescent light inside the room by itself, startling and made you froze on your spot. That wasn’t you, you swear!

But then you noticed. Standing in front of you, a tall man, around 6 feet, in all black with a black cap and a black face mask, staring at you blankly. On his left hand and also in the front pocket of his black, leather jacket, you saw your red and black lacy underwear, sticking out from it.

“Did you got hurt?”

Your ears perked up at the familiar voice. He knelt down in front of you and pulled down the mask that covers half of his face. Your breath got stuck in your throat, after recognizing the figure in front of you. N—No way!

“Oh, you’re bleeding...” he pouted, hand reached out to touch your knee but you flinched away.

His gazed were on you, stern and intimidating. You know he’s mad.

“I just want to help.” he whispered with a sad face but it changed in a millisecond, into a smirk.

“S—Sangchul-ssi, what are you doing... how did you get in here?”

You were confused. This whole situation is absurd.

The man in front of you who is trespassing your house and stealing your underwear is the same man who went into more than five dates with you. The man who you think is perfect, the same man who you have been having interest on, and the man that you’ve been praising for having a good attitude, Kim Sangchul.

“Ahh..” he sniffed your lacy underwear, “I think I like you too much that it drives me crazy.” He began rubbing the piece of cloth on his face. "Did you feel the same?"

Psychopath!’ You wanted to scream but your body didn’t listen to the command in your mind. You dragged your feet closer to your body and try to cover every inch of your exposed skin – suddenly regretting your choice of clothing for tonight.

“What about... we have some fun tonight?” he began to move closer and you scream as loud as you can, also trashing around so he couldn’t grab your hands but you know it was useless because he easily cover your mouth, and make you stand up so he can dragged you somewhere else.

Your scream are muffled by his hand on your mouth and tears started pouring out from your eyes like a broken faucet and in your head, you can only think about the worse. Long gone your wish for a quiet night, refreshing rest and a good sleep.

“Help! Someone!”

Sangchul dragged you into your bedroom and throw you onto the bed but before he could trap your body with his, you kicked his defenceless crotch and pushed him with all your might, running towards the door.

You ran into the living room and heard frantic knock on the door, calling out your name. You recognized immediately the person on the other side of the door. “J—Jin!”

“Ddung, open the door!” he continue to bang on the door.

You was about to run for the door but Sangchul catch you from behind and cover your mouth once again but you bite his hands.

“1-2...” you tried to tell him the password for your house in between the struggles. “Jin.... 1-2-1-0!!” you scream and soon enough, you heard he keying in the number and the door burst opened. Jin dashed into your house, and his eyes landed on you who are pinned down to the floor.

Jin didn’t think for any longer as he marched forward with his fingers balled in fists. He peeled the man from you and threw his body towards Sangchul. He blew a hard punch that hit Sangchul’s jaw with such force that made the corner of his lips bleeds. You fly away from them and hid next the kitchen’s entrance. You watched as Jin throwing punches and you swore you heard something crack.

“Son of a !” he punched another hard blow on Sangchul’s stomach, making crimson liquid to splutter out from his mouth in a fit of cough but that doesn’t stop Jin from grabbing him by his collar and drew his fist back and strike Sangchul’s face once again.

You had never seen Jin look that way. His eyes flashed with indignant and anger and you swear you can almost see the fire flares from his eyes. He was totally different as he continued to take the lead, pounding onto Sangchul like he is some kind of a sand bag but you think it’s enough because Sangchul is not responding to any of his hit, neither shielding himself from Jin so you ran to the man.

“Jin!” you pulled him by his waist.

You continue to drag him away until you both are one meter ahead of Sangchul who is on the floor, unconscious. “Jin, stop! He’s already unconscious.”

Jin dropped his hands and panted heavily, eyes still on the immobile person on the floor. He looks satisfied.

“Are you okay?” you release you hold on his waist and grabbed both of his hands. “Ah, you’re bleeding.”

Jin looked at you for a few seconds before he turns into such a worry freak. He cupped your face, titling it to each side, inspecting you. “Silly girl! I'm the one who supposed to ask you that.” then his eyes travels downward and caught the bruise on your knee. He frowned. “Your knee...”

“I fall.” It came out more like a whisper. Feeling slightly embarrassed by your own clumsiness.

He ducked his head to match yours, boring his eyes into yours. “Did he...”

You quickly shook you head, no. Of course, he didn’t because you won’t let him. You don’t know what you will do if he managed to do such things to you.

Jin heaved a sigh in relief. His hands found its way into the back of your head and another one on your shoulder before pulling you into a gentle hug. “You made me worry.” he rested his chin on top of your head.

“My heart nearly exploded when I heard you scream which the ‘always calm’ you would’ve never done that before.” he muttered.

His action made your lung to stop functioning for a while and you stood frozen in his embrace. Your head were pressed to his chest, and you can hear his frantic heart beats that hammers in his ribcage. It sounds soothing to you, letting your mind to slowly forget what had just happened to you minutes ago. Everything does actually. His hug, his gentle words, his smell… Geez, you sound nothing different than that bastard on the floor.

But as much as I want to stay like this, when is he going to let go? Sangchul is still in the house though.

“J—Jin?” you called him. Is he asleep—

He released you almost immediately, taking few steps back. “S—Sorry.” his hand found his nape and awkwardly scratching it while blushing hard.

You let out a chuckle although it’s not the right to situation to feel all lovey-dovey with him.

Jin cleared his throat. “He won’t wake up any sooner.” he said, looking at Sangchul.

“Shouldn’t we call the police?”

“We should.” he looked at you. “Stay here, I’ll take my phone-”

He was about to run back to his apartment when you pull his arm making him stop on his track.

“Can I follow you?” you asked. You just don’t want to be in the same house with that ert in case he suddenly regained his conscious.

Jin clasped your hand with his. “Let’s go.”

 

 

You and Jin are on the way back home after visiting the police station to make report and give statements about the incident. He insisted on helping you until the end and you just had no choice but to let him drive you to the station and even when you were giving statements and he would noticed you were trembling once in a while, the man would gently wrapped his big hand on top of yours and caressed it.

He is making you feel safe, that’s for sure.

You stare through the glass window. The ride back home was in total silence but it wasn’t awkward at all. Neither you nor Jin is talking. He didn’t bother to turn on the radio, letting both of you to drown in your own thoughts.

From time to time, you would glanced at the man beside you. Jin is a good driver. When he suddenly breaks the car, he stretched his arm to your side, preventing you from being yank forward to the dashboard. You like his courtesy.

You gaze at him. He is driving with his right elbow rested on the windowsill while the other one on the steering wheel. You don’t really understand why some girls were fangirling when men drives that way but now you literally understand why and you like it too. He looks way much hotter that way plus he have his sleeves rolled up till his elbow. That adds up his score for extreme manliness.

You both arrived home few minutes later because the police station is not that far from your apartment. You got out from the car and walked towards the elevator after Jin locked his car with a single beep. While waiting for the lift to arrive, Jin cleared his throat. You turned to him.

“Let’s have some tea at my house.”

You knew what he meant. He doesn’t simply mean ‘hey, let’s just drink tea and after that you can go home’. You are positive that he wanted to know about the story itself. So you nodded. “Sure.”

The elevator arrived at your floor and you both walked towards Jin’s apartment side by side. He punched in the password and gestures for you to get inside first. You watched him closed the door behind you and the lights which you blinked by the sudden brightness.

“Make yourself at home.” He smiled softly and walked passed you, putting his key on the small dresser near the door and he went into the kitchen, preparing for the tea. You remembered that he owned a café. You wonder how his homemade tea would taste like.

You used the chance to explore his place a bit. When you were in his house weeks ago, you were too engrossed with your mission and his cooking that you didn’t have the chance to properly notice everything.

You walked towards the center of the living room and the first thing that caught your attention was a tall, glass display with all sorts of small action figures in it. You can tell that he treasure his collections by the way he arranged them about a span each and you are amazed by looking at the spotless shelf, which is way much neat and tidy then his bedroom from the last time you went there.

You remember reading something like ‘people and their possession can be weird sometimes’. Jin is the clear example of it.

Others were just the usual but you can detect his love for Super Mario character because his cushion cover that is on the couch are printed with the same character and you saw that same Mario, the night when Jin broke his arm by accident. Inside of lining up with the other figures in the shelf, this one might be a special one because it is positioned on the side table next to the couch, under the table lamp.

You gave the small figure a light pat on his well-glued arm before walking towards the balcony. A sudden rush of memories entered your mind. The first moment of an awkward greeting, your little bickers, the night when he was drunk and the day when you risk your life climbing over the rails. All happened in one place; the balconies. You peeked over to yours.

“Here’s your tea.”

Jin presence pulled you out from your trance. He gave you a pink mug that matches his. He leaned on the rail, sipping on his drink. You copy his action.

“You look calm for someone who had just… you know.” he shrugged.

You only replied with a thin smile, taking a sip of the warm citrus tea.

“So,” Jin started, glancing at you. “How do you know that — I mean, man?”

You hold the mug with each hand, warming it in the process. “Remember the date that I said I have interest on?”

He nodded.

“That’s him.”

His brows creased. Jin changed his position. “How...” he voice trailed off.

You look down to your feet. “Apparently he has been faking himself all this time.” you snort.

You still couldn’t believe what happened to you just now. Kim Sangchul that you know was so sweet, he looks like he would cry a river if he accidentally kill a bug. How or what turned him into something so unpredicted like that?

Hearing from what the police officer told you just now, there has been quite a report from victims, mostly woman, reporting that someone has trespass their house and stole their underwear without any kind of trace left at the scene that make the investigation hard to come to a conclusion.

In your case, Sangchul managed to discover your password when he sent you home and he watched you entering the password on the lock. You suddenly felt stupid for agreeing him to send you home. Of course he won’t leave any trace at the scene. He is a meticulous prosecutor. He knows a lot about law and maybe that’s the way he managed to escape and make you as his next victim.

You take another sip of your drink. “I guess I am fated to die and become a ghost after all.” you said with a pout.

Jin laughed a heartily one, sounding like he’s wiping the windshield.

“Cheer up. I’m sure you’ll find someone 100% better than that basta— I mean, man.”

Your face lighted up with a small smile. You took secret glances at the man beside you. The wind made his soft hair flutters on his forehead.

You suddenly wonder if Jin has a girlfriend. You just want to tell that woman, how lucky she is to have Jin as her boyfriend and make sure that she will be nice to him because he deserve it minus the part where he loves to sing in the shower.

You stomach suddenly churned at the thought. You cannot imagine Jin being another woman and you wonder why. It’s just… weird.

You drank the last drop of your tea. “Thanks for the tea. I guess I’ll get going now.”

“Already?” he asked. You nodded. It’s getting late and being alone with just both of you in his house made your heart to beats like crazy which you don’t know why. You want to get out from here fast.

You offered to wash the mug but he blocked you from entering the kitchen, saying that he’ll wash it himself. He then accompanied you to your house and just before you get into the house, he called your name.

“Can... Can I have your number, please?”

You raised your brows.

“J—Just in case. You know...”

You know you can trust him so you gave him your phone number. He looked at his phone, lips pressed into thin line.

“Goodnight.” you said.

He looked up with a grin. “Goodnight. Sleep well.”

You waved him goodbye and went into your house. This time, you make sure you switched on every light including the pantry and you inspect every single corner of your house before you take another round of warm bath, scrubbing any trace of that ert off from your body.

After you are done, you changed into a long-sleeve pajama that came with a long pajama pants. You stare at the torn silk night gown you’ve thrown into the trash bin under the vanity cabinet. You pouted. You love that design though.

You then went to the living room, making sure every doors are locked and you switched off the lights, except for the light on the hallway and went into your bedroom.

You jumped onto your bed with a grunt. Today has been such a hectic day and you experienced a lot of stuff (that you swear to never experience it again). Almost getting... ehem... you know, then go to the police station which have never done it before and you got to be inside Jin’s house again.

You laid your head on the pillow and stares at the ceiling. The dim light from the bedside table lamp, creates shadows as it illuminates your room. You tried to close your eyes, wanting to go to sleep as soon as possible because you’re worn out.

You keep your eyes closed but it wasn’t that long when it flung open and you scanned across the room. Nothing is there but your head is surely playing tricks on you, making you feel like someone is watching and waiting for the right time to ambush you, trapped you on the bed, just like what Sangchul did to you just now.

You pulled your blanket closer and tossed around in bed. You want to sleep but you can’t. You are in absolute trauma from the previous incident.

You left the bed and walked to the kitchen. You once read that a glass of warm milk can help your sleeping problems but you haven’t tried it yourself so you pour yourself a glass and warm it up in the microwave.

As you were waiting for the milk to be done, you received a message from your neighbour.

 

You’re still awake?

 

Can’t sleep.

It feels like someone is watching me.

 

You’re traumatised.

 

Probably.

 

 

He didn’t reply back after that but your received one a minute later, same as your microwave ended with a ‘ting’. You read the message and your eyes bulged opened.

 

Want to sleep over?

 

 

Your fingers danced across the keypad, typing for a reply.

 

 

You made a crazy decision. You know this is wrong but here you are, back in Jin’s room after you accept his offer to sleep over at his house. You could’ve sleep on the couch in the living room but Jin insisted you to sleep on his bed or he’ll sleep at the balcony if you still want to sleep on the couch. But of course you won’t let him do that because he is the house owner. So at last, you told him to sleep on his bed with you. Well, did you mention that his bed is hella wide? It maybe can fit one more adult here.

That moment, you remembered something. “Jin...” you called him.

“Hmm?” he hummed and you had to cover your chest so that he won’t be able to hear you heart thumping crazily against your chest.

You turned your body to face him and you froze because he was staring directly at you when you thought his back was facing your side. Lucky it was dark or else he will be able to see you crimson cheeks.

“I didn’t properly thanked you for saving me.” you managed to utter in midst of the embarrassment.

He tucked his hands under his head, his eyes bore into yours. “It’s okay as long as you’re fine.”

“Thank you.” you mumbled.

“You helped me once, remember?”

Yes, that life-risking help which failed miserably when you fall asleep in his room, on the exact bed you’re on right now.

Jin pulled the blanket from your waist and tucked it until your shoulders are fully covered. “Sleep.” he said, short and gentle.

“Oh,” you exclaimed, remembering another thing. “How’s your hand? They were bleeding just now.”

He pulled out his hand, showing it to you. “Took care of it already.”

“Sorry.”

He ruffles your hair. “It’s okay.”

He turned his body, his back on the bed. “But didn’t I looked cool just now? I never knew I could throw a punch like that.”

You snort. He’s so full of himself. “Yeah, you look cool.”

“Really?” his pitch went an octave higher.

“The coolest person I’ve ever met.” you spoke the truth.

You don’t have a father figure as you grew up because your parents both died when you were still a kid and your aunt isn’t married so you don’t have any males near you and your previous boyfriend are nothing but a jackass.

You noticed that Jin is staring at you. He didn’t even blink. Uncomfortable by his stare, you fake a cough and he blinked at that, immediately looking away.

You restrained for a long yawn. You’re already tired and it’s time to sleep. You gaze at Jin for one good minute, before turning away, your back on him.

“Goodnight, Jin.”

“Goodnight… ddung.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Author Note:

New semester is so tiring so I'll just leave you guys with this. Thank you for subscribing and for reading of course.

Reminder: This whole story is a one-shot but I break it down into chapters because it's too long. More chapters to go.